Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: DM dogs- clinical trial in southeast Florida [Re: starrchar] #207612
01/23/12 03:58 PM
01/23/12 03:58 PM
starrchar Offline OP
starrchar  Offline OP

Well, Shelby was fitted for a cart today and the vet has an Eddie's Wheels cart that is just her size, so we'll be able to rent that one. The vet put Shelby in the cart and she seemed to like it, which surprised me! I also ordered Shelby a Help 'Em Up harness, so we'll be good to go when the time comes.

Shelby- LC GSD rescue~ CGC, Certified Therapy Dog
Josey Wales- Shiloh Shepherd rehome~ CGC, TT, Certified Therapy Dog
In loving memory of GSD Bruno 1993-2007
In loving memory of GSDs Schatzie, Lady, Arnie and Allie
Re: DM dogs- clinical trial in southeast Florida [Re: starrchar] #207623
01/23/12 05:06 PM
01/23/12 05:06 PM
M
marjorie Offline
marjorie  Offline
M

I am so happy there is a rental available!! Not surprising she took to the Eddie's wheels cart as it is the best. Be careful when walking her in it. I took Missie T for a walk in hers, figuring I wouldnt need a leash. A cat ran by, and she took off after it!!! I was running after her yelling "Miisie T- COME" but she just kept on running!!! I hope you are getting a visual of a 67 yr old woman running full out after a dog in a handicapped cart. The neighbors were laughing so hard they didnt even go to help me. They thought it was the funniest thing they ever saw... LOLOLOLOL! It took me a block to catch up to her and the only reason I did was because her front legs tired. Oh, Lordy...I wanted to put myself in the cart on the way back home... LMAO!

The people at Westlab are the best smile I cannot tell you how many shelter dogs lives were saved because of their offer of free meds for life for people adopting a DM dog from a shelter...

www.gsdbbr.org (German Shepherd Breed Betterment Registry)
a health registry for German Shepherds --> Be proactive!
www.mzjf.com (Home of the DM Support Group)
Re: DM dogs- clinical trial in southeast Florida [Re: marjorie] #207632
01/23/12 05:34 PM
01/23/12 05:34 PM
starrchar Offline OP
starrchar  Offline OP

You gave me a good laugh! I can just visulaize the entire senario of you chasing your handicapped dog in a cart LOL! THanks for the warning though. These DM dogs may lose control of their back ends, but they sure don't lose their drive or zest for life. Shelby always loved going for walks downtown and meeting new people & dogs, but we haven't done that in a while due to her compromised mobility. Once we get the cart I can see giving that a try again.

That is awesome that Westlabs offers the meds for free to people adopting DM dogs from shelters. Wow!!!

Did you happen to see my previous post on the Shelby's meds? Is this what you are giving Missie T or has something been added to Dr. C's protocol?

Sometimes I can be so focused on specific things that I miss other things. I just noticed your signature line and you have a DM support group! THat is wonderful! I need to go run an errand now, but will check it out later.

Shelby- LC GSD rescue~ CGC, Certified Therapy Dog
Josey Wales- Shiloh Shepherd rehome~ CGC, TT, Certified Therapy Dog
In loving memory of GSD Bruno 1993-2007
In loving memory of GSDs Schatzie, Lady, Arnie and Allie
Re: DM dogs- clinical trial in southeast Florida [Re: starrchar] #207728
01/23/12 10:32 PM
01/23/12 10:32 PM
M
marjorie Offline
marjorie  Offline
M

Sadly, nothing new to be added to Dr C's regimine frown You give the dry mustard, dry ground ginger and garlic in the food, along with sardines? Those, as well as the perna sea mussel are natural anti-inflammatories.

Re: DM dogs- clinical trial in southeast Florida [Re: marjorie] #208881
01/28/12 12:52 AM
01/28/12 12:52 AM
M
marjorie Offline
marjorie  Offline
M

I am hearing of GSDS that received clear or carrier on the U of Missouri DNA DM test, yet necropsy performed when the dogs passed indicated the dogs did, indeed, have DM. If you know anyone who has a GSD that had the U of Missouri DNA DM Test that tested clear or carrier that had a necropsy performed upon the passing that indicated DM, please PM me or have the person/people get in touch with me, please.

Re: DM dogs- clinical trial in southeast Florida [Re: marjorie] #208898
01/28/12 01:52 AM
01/28/12 01:52 AM
M
marjorie Offline
marjorie  Offline
M

Again, no test can ever be 100%, however, I do wish to gather facts, so if anyone has any info on this matter, I would much appreciate being advised of test results and necropsy results.

I did speak with Dr Keller from the OFA, this morning. I asked how he could reconcile the polar opposite diagnostic test results between ALS and GSDM. He was unfamiliar with the differences in the diagnostic test results. I did nicely ask how the OFA could choose to promote a test they in fact, knew little about. I informed him that I was very diappointed that they would put a test on their site without being very familiar with all aspects of the tests or the research. I mentioned that by the OFA promoting the test on their website that was tanatamount to giving their blessing for such test, which I felt still had generations to follow, before annointing it as the true test for GSDM. I told him that I believed the OFA was engaging in something that could do irreparable harm to the GSD breed. That and a token will get me on the subway... headbang

Last edited by marjorie; 01/28/12 01:54 AM.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Do dogs appreciate aesthetics?
by jarn. 11/13/22 11:41 PM
eh
by middleofnowhere. 11/06/22 02:07 AM
Happy 11th Birthday, Ciara Bella
by Woodreb. 10/30/22 01:48 AM
Welcome Home, Roisin
by Woodreb. 09/27/22 08:43 PM
Caleb Moose - Run Free
by Woodreb. 05/14/22 01:36 AM
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Holiday cards
by Shilohsmom. 11/26/22 05:28 PM
Thanksgiving plans?
by Shilohsmom. 11/23/22 12:31 AM
Mom and bad bread
by jarn. 11/15/22 06:57 PM
Rosa update
by middleofnowhere. 11/05/22 08:01 PM
Rosa's Hello old Friends, continued part 2
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 01/13/15 03:49 PM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 10 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Members
GSDman, GSDluvah, Bonwno, Mongoski, Lawz67
3048 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics18,795
Posts293,332
Members3,048
Most Online991
Jan 15th, 2020