GermanShepherdHome.net

New Journey starts today

Posted By: anniej

New Journey starts today - 05/18/13 06:22 PM

It is three weeks today since i said goodbye to my beloved girl Chasma - it has been the saddest three weeks and the tears are still flowing. The hole Chasma has left in my heart is wide and I miss the happiness I experienced daily from sharing my life with a dog. So today I was visited by the UK German Shepherd rescue and told I would be allowed to rescue a dog - so a new journey begins....

I have a short list of dogs - so I just need to trust now that the right dog is on it's way. Chamsa is alive and well in my heart and will always be there but there are dogs in kennels who need a loving home. So, I will keep you all posted - hopefully will be given the all clear on Monday - i have cleared the following week to visit and settle the new dog in. I know there is a lot of experience on this board of rescue dogs so I would really appreciate tips on the initial days in a new home. I had Chasma from a puppy (although I was tempted on several occasions to declare she was a rescue - just because her behaviour on occassion was 'challenging')so any advice would be much appreciated.
Posted By: middleofnowhere

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/18/13 06:53 PM

I am happy to hear you are going to be welcoming a new dog. What a great testiment to Chasma's life with you. I'm sure she is honored and your new dog will be one very lucky dog.

My first dog as an adult was one a friend was going to take to the pound, the next was a "free to good home". Then I got a pound puppy. At 10 she was joined by one that showed up in my back yard bleeding profusely. The next two were purchased pups but they were joined by a pound dog. Next I purchased a pup and a few months later brought a 6 yo into the house via FreeCycle.

None of my "other than purchased" dogs presented a problem so far as I was concerned. The possible exception was the first dog but that was, in part, our circumstances, in part me not knowing all that I should know about dogs. (Still not there on that one.)
So I am, again, no help at all to your concerns!

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/18/13 08:09 PM

Well it sounds like the right dogs found you at just the right time -that is what i am hoping will happen now for me - thank you
Posted By: PositiveDog

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/18/13 11:25 PM

Such a great tribute to Chasma that you will be getting a rescue dog soon. One of my favorite quotes is as follows:

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."
--Unknown

I think of this often as I look at my dogs, past and present.

Looking forward to hearing stories of the newcomer to your heart.
Posted By: Kayos

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/19/13 01:35 AM

Originally Posted By: PositiveDog
Such a great tribute to Chasma that you will be getting a rescue dog soon. One of my favorite quotes is as follows:

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."
--Unknown

I think of this often as I look at my dogs, past and present.

Looking forward to hearing stories of the newcomer to your heart.

Beautifully said Bonnie.

It is a testament to Chasma that you want to bring another dog home. She would be pleased. Sometimes I think they leave so that we can allow another soul needing a home into our lives. Hugs!
Posted By: BowWowMeow

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/19/13 04:11 AM

I have only ever had rescues. The best advice I have is to assume that you are getting a large puppy in terms of what they know. I enforce rules from the get go but set them up for success in every way possible so lots of extra exercise, positive reinforcement, etc. I've had a few that were pretty challenging but others have settled right in like they've always lived there.

Can't wait to "meet" your new dog!
Posted By: MaxaLisa

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/19/13 05:48 AM

This is great news that you will have a new companion soon. I am happy to hear this, for both you and whomever your new friend turns out to be.

Jean had posted something once, I'm not sure I can find it, about shutting a dog down the first couple of weeks when brought into their new home. Essentially no walks or anything, a everything is probably overwhelming for them, and this gives them a chance to settle in without the extra anxiety of figuring out whaat to do when exposed to new things on the walk, etc.

I'm not sure I followed that to the letter, but it relieved me of feeling like I had to do a lot with Jaazz when she first came here. I guess it's a bit like when cat move and you need to keep them in for an amount of time so they can learn that is their new home.

I will see if that is a ticky somewhere...

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/19/13 06:10 AM

I haven't listened to this, but it might be helpful?

http://www.aspcapro.org/webinar-increasing-the-odds-of-a-success.php

Shepnterrier posted it sometime back, but looks like they changed the name to
Increasing the Odds of a Successful Adoption (Love Has No Age Limit)
(Webinar originally called Helping Adopted Dogs Adjust to New Homes)

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/19/13 06:28 AM

Thanks everyone -thank you for that lovely quote Bonnie - what a wonderful thought to have a'doggie' heart. Lisa that sounds like a wonderful article but you have to be an animal professional to read it (need to register!). I have a short list now of two dogs one male aged 6 years and an 8 year old female. I had always intended on rescuing an older dog when Chamsa 'matured' (took longer than originally anticipated!)and so these where the ones I was drawn too. Thanks everyone for your kind comments - I will keep you all posted.
Posted By: bianca

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/19/13 06:41 AM

I am so happy to read this hugging
Posted By: Qyn

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/19/13 10:15 AM

Originally Posted By: anniej
......Lisa that sounds like a wonderful article but you have to be an animal professional to read it (need to register!). ......

It is a free webinar so you can register as a foster carer just put the organization from where you will be getting your new dog. hugging
Posted By: Braverhund

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/19/13 03:52 PM

Chamsa must be smiling down upon you, her tongue lolling in happiness, her tail wagging with pleasure, and that special knowing shining in her eyes. Challenging Chamsa has prepared you well, and I believe, she will nudge just the right rescue into your loving home and arms and heart.

Annie, I'm so pleased that you will turn the huge heart you have, which is grieving so deeply right now, hugging into giving love to a dog in such need. Any rescue welcomed into your care will be fortunate indeed. Adventures and cameraderie await with your upcoming new rescue friend. Chamsa, I am sure, will be overseeing this beautiful beginning for you. gsdhalo hugging

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/19/13 04:06 PM

I know that different rescue dogs will behave in different ways when they first come into the home, I have little experience in the diversity of possible reactions. For jazz, it took about two weeks before she started letting that guard down. Until then, she was practically the perfect puppy. Only after that time did a little of her devilish side come out. I have seen the 2 week period in at least one other rescue. So there may be a honeymoom period of sorts, or at least a short time in the beginning where you are not seeing the full picture, and maybe even a bit of the opposite.

And of course, it will take a long time before you really do see the full picture, because you will be used to a dog that you have shared such a close bond with, that you know well and the dog knows you. And not having that level of relationship will be foreign. But you remind yourself that it's the beginning of a grand new journey, and you have a new partner to help you through the journey, and the grief.

One very lucky dog will be getting a new lucky home smile
Posted By: Mary Jane

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/19/13 04:22 PM

I pilfered this from Big Dogs, Big Hearts http://www.bigdogsbighearts.com/2_week_shutdown0001.pdf

It talks about the reasons for a two week shutdown and what 'shutdown' means. This decompression period was very valuable for Wolf. He neither ate nor excreted for his first few days here. We effectively had a shutdown because his crate was in the kitchen that had air conditioning and we were having a heat wave, so we were happy he remained in his crate. That let us all begin slowly to become acquainted.

Like everybody said, there's a very lucky dog out there waiting to come home with you.

I look forward to meeting your new companion.

Mary Jane

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/19/13 04:28 PM

Mary Jane, yes, thank you, that's it!
Posted By: BasiaBear

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/19/13 10:03 PM

Basia's a rescue and also my first dog. There were certainly some hurdles to get over- but it's hard to decipher which of those hurdles were caused by her checkered past and which were caused with my own naivete... or a combo of both. Given that you are not a first time dog owner I'm sure it will come easier to you than it did me.

I think that if I were to change anything about the first few months, it would have been to not be so eager to get her 'socialized'. After all, she was already 2, and much past the developmental stages where socialization would have made the biggest impact. I think that it just caused her undue stress. I regret that I greatly underestimated the impact that past events could have on her present actions and I wish that I had taken the time to get to know her before jumping into a lot of activities. I have never heard of the "shut-in" period nor have I read the articles, but as I write this it seems like that would've been the solution to my regrets.

My other observation is that even though she initially seemed to bond to me rather quickly, it took well over a year for her to be able to put her trust in me; and it wasn't until then that our bond could really grow into more of a partnership.

Originally Posted By: MaxaLisa
I have seen the 2 week period in at least one other rescue. So there may be a honeymoom period of sorts, or at least a short time in the beginning where you are not seeing the full picture, and maybe even a bit of the opposite.

Lisa, this couldn't be any truer for me and basia!

Every dog is different, but I hope this helps a little! Best of luck in this new adventure. I haven't really been around much, I'm so very sorry to hear about this loss of yours. hugging
Posted By: Shepherds

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/20/13 08:38 AM

Originally Posted By: PositiveDog

--Unknown

That is beautiful Positive Dog...thank you for sharing that.

Anniej I wish you every success, joy and love as you begin this new adventure as I know how much your heart must be bleeding.

I'm sure Chasma is with you and will be guiding the right dog to your side....and whoever you choose, they will be one very lucky dog.

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/20/13 07:02 PM

.....hopefully will be given the all clear on Monday ...

Is that today? Any news?

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/22/13 03:36 PM

Patiently waiting...... smile

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/23/13 04:54 AM

Thank you everyone for your wise words - i was asked to choose a dog on Monday but after initially being told that the two I was interested in where available they both where adopted by their foster families - not meant to be. Anyway, after a long chat with my adoption coordinator last night i have chosen another female - if you google - UK German Shepherd Rescue and look under female dogs waiting for adoption - her name is Smudge. She has been in foster for some time and apparently is a really lovely dog. I have been really open to whatever dogs comes into my life - just trusting that the one I need will be the right one ( and yes, i do think Chamsa will have had a say in the adoption process - as she had a very strong opinion on everything wink

I am really looking forward to welcoming a new friend into my life but am conscious that the pain i am experiencing around Chasma will not disappear and I would not want it too.. Small steps is what is needed for me and the dog - i have a full week off next week so 'shut down' for both of us would be good. Thanks for the article - it really makes a lot of sense.

Will post an update at the weekend. Thanks again for all the help and advice

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/23/13 05:27 AM

congrats this is wonderful that you have found your new companion. I am ure that Chasma must have had a hand in this, I know indy had a hand in bringing jazz here. What an adventure that is in store for you, great to have the week off!

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/23/13 10:52 AM

Annie, warmest, heartfelt congratulations to you-- and to lovely Smudge! hugging It is good that you are being gentle with yourself as you are yet grieving Chamsa, and surely there can never be a replacement-- but I am sure bold Chamsa helped in nudging her successor in your direction, knowing that you both need eachother. Smudge, and Annie, both need healing and joy in life. bloomrose It will only get better from here, for both you and Smudge! By the way, with her gorgeous big head and stunning bone and dark coloration, doesn't she look a bit Czech? Her write-up suggests that she's eager to please and intelligent, a really bright girl. I envision you both enjoying many wonderful adventures together in your future! vaseroses

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/23/13 12:17 PM

I am really looking forward to welcoming a new friend into my life

Hurrah! I do hope that you and Smudge are very happy building a new life together

but am conscious that the pain i am experiencing around Chasma will not disappear and I would not want it to....

Wolf taught me so many things that have made Mars' life with us much easier, but Mars will never be Wolf and many people might say Mars is lucky in that. No matter, Chamsa's gifts are yours forever and Smudge may be one of those gifts.

Congratulations,
Mary Jane

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/23/13 03:52 PM

Smudge is lovely! And I like her name too. I know you will be happy with her. I think Chmas will be happy knowing Smudge has a new mom to love her too.

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/23/13 04:46 PM

She is listed here (at least for now), she sound like such a nice girl!
http://www.ukgermanshepherdrescue.co.uk/german-shepherd-rescue-dogs-for-adoption-page7.htm

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/23/13 08:29 PM

Thank you everyone - i just spoke to her foster mom who adores her! She came to her with a big chain and no training having been locked in a tiny kitchen for most of her life. However, despite that she is loved by everyone in the village, and is great with other dogs and children. She does need training and her recall is poor but all fixable over time.

When i first thought about getting a rescue I decided I wanted a break from health problems - so my short list was healthy dogs. Smudges profile said a small amount of ear wax. However, when i got a call from the coordinator today she told me she had bad news about smudge - that she was on steriods for severe skin allergies! She was surprised when i said off course I would take her- i i was smiling to myself because I now know exactly why we have found each other.

So Saturday is the big day - i know Chamsa will be with me as we bring a new friend into our life - thank you all for your warm and caring thoughts and words they have helped me so much over the last month. I will keep you all updated

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/23/13 11:21 PM

I just looked her up! Looking at her brought back long-lost fond memories of my neighbor's dog, Sheba, from when I was a kid. I hope it works out for you!

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/23/13 11:29 PM

Oh, and I just read your last post... from the little bit that I know of you, I'd have to guess it was meant to be and you are precisely what Smudge needs in her life wub

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/24/13 06:16 AM

When i first thought about getting a rescue I decided I wanted a break from health problems - so my short list was healthy dogs. Smudges profile said a small amount of ear wax. However, when i got a call from the coordinator today she told me she had bad news about smudge - that she was on steriods for severe skin allergies! She was surprised when i said off course I would take her- i i was smiling to myself because I now know exactly why we have found each other.

Had to laugh at this...it's the same process as here with Jazz. All I wanted was a healthy dog. For once. Wasn't meant to be.

I am so glad that she will be with you Annie. I bet you can't wait for the big day!
Posted By: Shepherds

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/24/13 09:30 AM

Congrats Annie, I looked her up and she is a lovely looking girl.. I wish you much joy and love as you begin your lives together and help one another heal.

Will now sit and wait for photos smile

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/26/13 10:09 AM

Well - she is here....! I picked her up from a broken hearted foster mom on Saturday morning. She is a big bear of a dog (will post photographs later)not at all like the photographs on the rescue site.

Foster mom had highlighted a number of issues - doesnt like the car and whines a lot and has major seperation anxiety. She does not like being confined in small spaces as she was locked in a small kitchen.

She was really good in the car considering we had a long four hour journey - whined a little but really was ok.

So beautiful as she is - she does have some issues which I could do with some advice on:

Food guarding - growled at me when i went near her food while she was eating

Toy guarding - her energy shifts and she becomes possive and runs away

Seperation anxiety - panics every time i go near the front door and when i left her to get something from the car she started barking and throwing herself at the front door.

While i know in principle what to do about these issues I would appreciate some advice. Would you introduce her to a crate given her issues with small spaces?

We have had a really quite day and will continue to have a quite week. I cant bring myself to stay in for a whole week - but our walk was short and very quite - she walks lovely on a halti and showed no aggression towards the couple of dogs we met.

I am so very happy to have her in my life - i am sure it will be quite a learning journey.

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/26/13 11:29 PM

groovy yay, she's home.

...And wow! sounds like she does come with some issues that have to be worked out...

I didn't stay in for the whole week either, but I did follow the general rule where I didn't push jazz, and was just in tune to the signals that were being sent. I think you will get a sense of that.

Pardon me for saying this, but I think it's unethical for a rescue to end out a dog with major SA without fulling warning you and talking with you about it. I speak from my own experience here. My hope is that once he is in a safe and secure environment (from her point of view), that that will relax and fade away.

When Max first came, he guarded his food. I didn't try to do anything about it until I had a relationship built with him otherwise. I see the food issue and the toy guarding similarly, and think that they will both get better as the relationship gets better. This is where I wish Jean had time to post here to help frown

The SA. The crate. I would never close a crate door on her until this is better under control. SA dogs like to feel like they have some control over their environment and forced separation is really bad for them. I would first make the crate a safe place where good things are asociated with it (open door always), and would not even attempt to close the door until you can go out of her site without signs of panic. Karen Overall has a relaxation technique that is probably pretty helpful here, and I will try to find it later.

How old is she again? How long was he in foster care? Were their other dogs in the household?

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/27/13 05:50 AM

Thanks Lisa thats really helpful and confirms my instincts. She was in foster for six weeks with no other dogs but two small grandchildren. The lady really loved her so i suspect all her issues are worse because she had to leave that home where she felt really safe. I have borrowed some childrens safety gates so i can leave a room without her but she can stil see me at all times and this seemed to work yesterday.

I was told she was four years old but my instinct is she is younger - i am taking her for a vet check at the end of the week. We have an appointment for accupuncture in two weeks to try and get her off steriods. She is such a gentle soul - very different from my wild child Chamsa - although she reacts in the same way to cats( dream of getting a cat one day dies again:)

Right another day begins...
Posted By: PositiveDog

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/27/13 06:00 PM

Quote:
another day begins
thumbup

Looking forward to updates on her. Any pictures yet? hint hint

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/27/13 06:33 PM

So, she pent a lot of time isolate in her original home, and then 6 weeks I just enough time to get really settled. Makes sense. That she is okay behind the gates is extremely encouraging. I did that with jazz and this little 12 pound pup scaled a 3 foot xpen to jump out out of fear.

They recommend, for SA, teaching a "safety phrase" that you use when you will return quickly. I did this with indy, but never realized it. I used "right back" when it was just a short trip, say to the car to get something, and "it'll be awhile" when I was leaving for the day. I know she understood it. Jazz knows the difference in those phrases when I'm in the kitchen fixing food smile , but not in the context of leaving yet, that is part of my summer project.

When you want to start leaving her site, you can maybe give her something of high value, like a filled kong, get her interested in it, and go out of sight, for only seconds at a time, to test how that will work.

I hope that you will be able to get her health straightened out too, without much trouble.

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/27/13 09:19 PM

Ok, I have dealt with all of the above.

1. I have a different approach to bringing a foster or new adoptee home. My approach is not to flood on the socialization front but to do plenty of walks, etc. in order to help bring down their anxiety level (always works for me!). This has been especially important for the dogs who came with extra baggage.

2. Rafi came to me with major SA. I started counter-conditioning as soon as I figured out what was going on. I followed Patricia McConnell's protocol. You can either download her little booklet, "I'll Be Home Soon" or find it somewhere on line. He had MAJOR panic attacks when crated and did damage to himself. I could have left him with the best treat in the world and the outcome was always the same. Consequently I have never crated him since. However, he does spend time alone in my truck and in other people's cars and is fine in there. And he is fine loose in the house, since I did the counter-conditioning. IN fact, I can leave him at anyone's house and he's a little anxious but nothing like he used to be.

I also used a DAP spray and lots of calming things. T-touch works really well, if you know it or you can look it up on the web. Using calming signals also help when she is anxious and you're right there. Rafi still prefers to follow me EVERYWHERE but I do tell him to stay a lot of the time because of the stress on his joints going up and down the stairs, etc.

3. I would leave her alone while eating but as she is settling in I would start tossing pieces of chicken or something yummy towards her bowl while she's eating. Same with toys, don't force the issue but see if you can start trading up: if you drop that toy you get this delicious treat. Make it a fun game. Rafi doesn't growl with a toy but he does run away with it. I don't really care though because it's not resource guarding for him as much as it is a game. Chama was a resource guarder and I made it worse by trying to force the issue instead of trading up.

Good luck! Looking forward to pictures!

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/27/13 09:24 PM

Kong is on my list of things to buy to tomorrow - she is extremely stressed by the car - i am guessing the only time she has been in one is when she has left a family. So i plan to do one small two minute journey to the park daily and gradually extend the journey time. I like the idea of the different phrases for different lengths of time - i will start doing that tomorrow.

Sorry about lack of photographs - tomorrow i will sort it out. forgot to mention that I have changed her name to Cara - which means friend in Irish - Chamsa meant friend in Setswana - so their is comfort in continuing the lineage. ( although she has been quickly nicknamed Cara Bear - because she is like so big and cuddly!)

She is so good on the lead that she is now off the head collar and walking really great on her harness. She is curious with other dogs - a bit of dominance was exhibited today with one dog but considering we came across about seven that was not bad and i am really please with her behaviour outside.

I am still struggling with the loss of Chamsa but I know Cara will help in the healing process. I dream of Chamsa nightly and she always comes running up to me playing with other dogs- so very happy and no longer in pain. Although it still hurts to wake up to her gone having Cara helps so much so despite all the wobbles its ok - time will heal both of us smile

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/27/13 09:27 PM

Re: the car--you might play a game where you open both doors and throw a treat in and let her get it and go out the other side. Keep doing that until she associates the car with the fun game, then the little trips, etc.

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/28/13 01:57 AM

I am still struggling with the loss of Chamsa but I know Cara will help in the healing process. I dream of Chamsa nightly and she always comes running up to me playing with other dogs- so very happy and no longer in pain. Although it still hurts to wake up to her gone having Cara helps so much so despite all the wobbles its ok - time will heal both of us smile

You are both on a healing journey hugging

It sounds like, overall, she is doing really well, considering everything.

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/28/13 11:30 AM

Annie, you are amazing. hugging It does seem waking each morning is the hardest, doesn't it? Chamsa is surely as well as you see her in your dreams. Sweet Miss Cara and you, together, will help eachother heal and grow stronger. Together, you have a bright future full of shared adventures. I am betting that a year from now, you'll have found so very many wonderful ways that you and Cara truly "click." fetch
Posted By: JeanKBBMMMAAN

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/29/13 12:01 PM

I heard from a little bird that you got a new girl - her heart is broken too - like everyone is saying, you can heal together.

She may never be "normal" but you don't know. Layers will peel off, and in about a year, you will see the dog you will have, though she will always continue to grow.

I do a lot of leaving alone for about 2 weeks. I do my thing, I let them do theirs, they initiate contact (or not). I do a lot of exercise time with them, in the yard so they can really run it out (fenced so that is a help). That is where I engage them most - where there is room for them to get away as needed. Lots of times this leads to fun, but the goal for me is to just watch them, and let them watch me. If they progress quickly, excellent, if not, whatever! But I am not going to take them places or do things that might set them up where they won't succeed, and the reason they won't succeed is that I don't know them well enough/can't read them quickly enough, and they don't know me or trust me. Some dogs can do that quickly, others cannot - so I wait and see how they are. She is probably a dog that is going to need that time.

I especially leave them alone when they eat - they have a crate, often covered with a sheet - to eat in so that way they have their space, and the crate is associated with a good thing.

I don't set goals - my goal is to get up in the morning with the dog, and from there, it's all a bonus. If they do things, great, if not, we already met our goal, so no losses. If it is a dog I am going to have for a lifetime, no need to rush it. If it's a dog I am going to foster, if I do rush it, I could make it worse/harder for them.

I do NILIF - in terms of making them do to get - it's different for every dog, maybe they need to glance at me, maybe it's a sit, whatever the behavior is that they can achieve at first is what it takes to get something. It's just to help give them the structure needed to relax.

So mine is a lazy way - unless there is an immediate problem that has to be addressed - we do nothing except put structure in place, move in the yard with no distractions or worries of what if this happens (because nothing is going to happen), and letting them have the peace of mind that this person is going to let me be - while I eat, explore, etc. smile

Congratulations!!!

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/30/13 06:01 AM

All of that makes a lot of sense Jean!

Annie, how are things going?

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/30/13 12:10 PM

Jean, that was good to read, I really enjoyed that. I can imagine that intuitive Annie and Cara are going to heal and thrive together. Love, understanding, and patience are such healing things. bloomrose Cara is so very fortunate to have you, Annie!

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/31/13 12:20 PM

What wonerful advice - thank you Jean. We are taking it slow and just getting to know each other. I have a tiny garden so we do go out - same walk every day into a lovely wood with a stream, no one there but us. I introduced her too my lovely dog walker yesterday - she has 4 GS and is an experienced dog trainer as well - she will need to start walking with her in a couple of weeks when my job becomes busy. Today she came for coffee, next week she will join us on our walks - slowly slowly!

I have ignore her most of the time in the house and while she is still really clingy she is getting better - i went out and left her with a friend yesterday, she cried for a couple of minutes then went to sleep. I gnored her when I came back but she didnt go crazy and was lovely and calm.

She is more of a protective dog than Chamsa was (she knew my job was to protect her not the other way around) and will bark when someone comes to the door but again is calm once they come in.

Health wise she is doing great - we went to the vet yesterday and got the all clear to begin weaning her off the steriods. I intend to feed her raw so have started to add one table spoon of green tripe to her fish and sweet potatoes - she looked so happy when she tasted it.

So all in all a pretty good week - she is a beautiful dog and a great companion allready. Thanks everyone for your help and support

Re: New Journey starts today - 05/31/13 12:35 PM

hugging hugging hugging Such a lovely beginning to a beautiful love story! Cara's delight in her scruptuous green tripe is so dear. May your dogwalker and Cara form a comfortable bond, too, so that her excursions while you're at work will be pleasant and interesting for her. Things truly sound off to a wonderful start. I love that Cara's personality is beginning to be revealed, and that the two of you will grow stronger together in your bond of love and mutual support. May your new job be fulfilling and enjoyable for you, Annie! I will be continuing to send positive energy for you and Cara. vaseroses

Re: New Journey starts today - 09/24/13 04:06 AM

Annie, we haven't had an update in awhile, how is your girl?

Re: New Journey starts today - 09/26/13 12:57 PM

You know I was wondering too......

Re: New Journey starts today - 09/26/13 01:06 PM

Please, Annie, when you might have time, an update on your lovely, wonderful Cara wub might be nice? flowerbasket Grimmi and I are sending you both our best well-wishes!
© 2019 GermanShepherdHome.net