GermanShepherdHome.net

Woofwoofwoofwoofwoof

Posted By: jarn

Woofwoofwoofwoofwoof - 03/18/21 02:03 AM

For whatever reason - we've been trying to really up the place command. Even doing it regularly, and with treats, led to Agis jumping all over me and barking in the last week and a bit.

Switched to a ball reward - woof woof woof woof woof and jumping all over Neb and I (which leads to Agis barking and Neb keening). Tried only verbal reward - no better. The lady on the 5th floor must be loving our training sessions (Agis has what might be termed a 'piercing' bark).

At the suggestion of his trainer, maybe too much was being loaded on (but I don't think so? This started in the warm ups for it, and that he already knew). I went back to basics and he's better - not jumping on the dogs, only a bit on me, and sporadic barking. I'm not sure what to make of it. Hoping we've solved this though.
Posted By: Woodreb

Re: Woofwoofwoofwoofwoof - 03/18/21 12:07 PM

Spring fever? rofl2

I know - that's not helpful. Mine, especially Caleb, act like this when they want to play. That's what it sounds like to me.

Re: Woofwoofwoofwoofwoof - 03/18/21 12:41 PM

I think you're right - he's excited and playful - but I don't get what it is about 'place' that suggests to him it's playtime! Dogs, I tell ya!

(He got off-leash today - there was a pigeon as we went out the door, and the carabiner that attaches his leash to his collar was apparently not locked and BOOM! off he went. Stopped when I said his name, and then came as I walked towards him. Whew!!!!!) He loves pigeons, so I was worried he'd focus on them.
Posted By: middleofnowhere

Re: Woofwoofwoofwoofwoof - 03/19/21 05:31 AM

Jenn, maybe tone of voice? ?? Maybe change the command or the "place" itself? Or even maybe that "place" gets a good reward?

Re: Woofwoofwoofwoofwoof - 03/19/21 03:42 PM

Middle, maybe. He knows the place command though, so I am loathe to change it.

I tried changing the reward in case that was it - treats, toys, verbal. Back to treats and for whatever reason he's better (not great, but improving). I am going to focus on it this weekend.

I will experiment with my tone. That's a good idea.
© 2021 GermanShepherdHome.net