GermanShepherdHome.net

Breeders who health test

Posted By: LaRogue

Breeders who health test - 09/06/17 09:57 PM

Hi All! I'm new to the forum and considering getting a GSD puppy in 6-12 months. I'm starting to research reputable breeders, am interested in those who are health testing parents, and hoping for a few pointers in the right direction. For my background info, I've had 2 GSDs, 1 GSD mix, (although long ago), along with 4 corgis. I live in the Northeast, but would be willing to travel, for the right breeder. The puppy would be a companion, but I would also like to complete the training and certification programs, for a therapy dog, to do volunteer work. Correct temperament and health are my most important considerations. Corgis are DM poster children, so DM testing is HUGE for me, but I've not come across any GSD breeders (yet), testing for it. Wondering if there are any out there?
Posted By: Shilohsmom

Re: Breeders who health test - 09/07/17 01:45 AM

I don't have any specific breeders in mind but I just went through this in January when I had to choose a new breeder. I know some of them test for DM. You will likely find that information on their websites.
Posted By: Wisc.Tiger_Val

Re: Breeders who health test - 09/07/17 12:21 PM

There are breeders of GSD's who are testing for DM. Check breeders websites, ask questions. You will find some breeders who have breeding dogs that are DM clear because the sire and dam were DM clear.
Posted By: lhczth

Re: Breeders who health test - 09/07/17 05:00 PM

There are a lot of good GSD breeders health testing (including DM) out there that are also thoroughly test their dogs temperament, character, nerves and working ability. There are even some not so good breeders using health testing as a way to market their puppies while they do little else to test their breeding stock. Just make sure to do a lot of research so you can discern between the two. smile
Posted By: LaRogue

Re: Breeders who health test - 09/07/17 10:59 PM

Thanks for the replies!

This...I have come across. frown
Originally Posted By: lhczth
There are even some not so good breeders using health testing as a way to market their puppies while they do little else to test their breeding stock.

This forum looks like another great source, I'll be using! Thanks, again!
© 2018 GermanShepherdHome.net