GermanShepherdHome.net

Might be time to shut the Forum

Posted By: Wisc.Tiger_Val

Might be time to shut the Forum - 10/18/19 04:11 PM

Hi Guys.

I have been monitoring the forum for the last few months and not seeing a lot of activity. I think it might be time to pull the plug.

Most of us could keep in touch on Facebook or we could check out the newer place "MeWe".

I know I haven't posted as much as I use to but with the Hubby retiring I have less me time which is what we planned it is just taking me time to adjust.

Hosting is Due at the end of the year, I could check out what month by month or 6 months would cost.

Thoughts - Feedback welcome.
Posted By: middleofnowhere

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 10/18/19 05:57 PM

I've been doing a fair amount on PMs rather than open forum. I hate to see the forum close (I don't do a lot of social media, certainly not Facebook - dog forums are about it) because it seems to be the only alternative GSD forum --- I like it's rules and the overall friendliness of it. I do appreciate the heads up. I'm not sure how we direct people here rather than "elsewhere" -- I also hate to loose contact with the folks (some of whom have drifted away) too. Not enough to dive into facebook.

Over the years (heh, let's not talk about how long I've been here) I've got a lot of good information. Ask a question here and you get good solid answers.

And where else do my dogs get to be calendar girls?
Posted By: Woodreb

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 10/18/19 11:42 PM

I hate to see the forum shut down as well, but I understand your point of view. I miss many of the people that used to post here but have drifted away.

I broke down and signed up on Facebook when my DH was out of time and we were having some phone problems at the house. It was a way to be in touch with family if needed. I don't really post on there that much, but have been following a German Shepherd group and it seems that it has a lot of people lecturing and talking down to folks that go on there looking for help or advice. Nothing like the feel of this forum, I wish I knew of a way to get people back here.
Posted By: Selzer

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 10/19/19 06:08 AM

I keep checking in here, but I don't feel like good company most of the time. Been a rough year, and too many losses. Sometimes I am not up to even checking in. But I did start posting again on the other forum. So maybe things are looking up for me. Maybe with the change of weather people will be more stay at home, and get back into the forums. Maybe folks are not here because they are running with dogs, playing with dogs, working with dogs, training dogs, swimming with dogs, shopping with dogs. Maybe with the holidays coming up on us, people will be bluer, colder, and more busier than ever. It's so hard to tell.

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 10/19/19 04:51 PM

It was just a thought thing from my end. I wanted to see if people wanted to keep the forum. I can manage it time and financially, but if I was keeping this up because I just wanted to not let go then it would be gone.

Sue, you are always welcome here to share your feelings. Not every time in your life or any ones life is always great and rosy. Some times we need help, some times we are just in a black mood.

Honestly after the house fire there were times when I wished I hadn't woke up and got out of the house. But my cyber friends here on the forum always had a kind word and wondering how I was doing. Strangely enough those thoughts were after we moved into the new house. I think I was just in physical pain for months and I just kept pushing to get the house done. So when that was done I was still in pain and had nothing to keep pushing forward to.
Posted By: Zisso

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 10/19/19 06:45 PM

I have always been grateful for this forum without a doubt. I have never done anything to help, and I have plenty of time to do so these days, so if help is needed, I volunteer! However if it needs to shut down, I get that too.

This is the one place I have always been comfortable to share stories and ask questions, to look for information, and to make friendships. I am a Facebook junkie and am easy to find there (I think!) And several members here are friends over there, but some aren't, like Middle who doesn't do facebook.

The best part about this forum is the way everyone bands togehter to help a fellow member when they are having troubles- be it personal or doggie related. I know that I leaned on this forum a TON during this past year for suggestions and help in my journey of raising Gypsy. I couldn't have done it without this Village of Awesome people!
Posted By: Shilohsmom

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 10/19/19 09:02 PM

I can't say I'm surprised, very sad but not surprised. I can see how the forum struggles. Those of us that are here have years of GSD experience and we don't have a lot of questions about raising our pups.

I've been so busy with my business lately, I haven't been able to come here much. I do 'check in' but there's just not much activity. I do care about the folks here and I feel like I know so many of their pets. I would miss this page but I do understand.

It's been quite a journey and I am so very thankful for all the support I've gotten here. Everyone here has known my dogs and has been so helpful in my healing from their losses. Facebook is fine, but its really mostly strangers making comments. They mean well, but its not the same. I will miss this place.

I've tried to help here and there with supporting the forum, but money is just so tight I have so little to give. I will miss you all very much.

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 10/19/19 09:36 PM

Val, I'm just thinking. Your paying for an awful lot here that's not being used. What if you were to consolidate some of the forum to include less options.. Maybe that would help with the money part.
Posted By: lhczth

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 10/19/19 10:17 PM

Yahoo groups is changing too. Everything is changing and going to FB it seems. It is a sad turn of events since FB isn't the same. These boards have always been more like home (though the other board less so at times) and the conversations were friendlier. We also have a way to save ideas and not have them get lost. It is more personable. I know I don't post much, but I am here daily. Time is a killer for me with my job.

I would hate to lose the board, but will understand if that is the choice you decide to make.
Posted By: Codmaster

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 10/19/19 10:40 PM

Certainly hope that we (you!) can keep it going. Great place to find solid info about GSD's. What can we all do to help - volunteer for some duties? financial? (what is the fee to keep forum up and running? Please let us know.

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 10/19/19 11:31 PM

I think Johanna has a point when she says she's wishes there was a way to get folks to come back here. But I get it, we need to be more active here if we have any chance at attracting anyone back,
Like so many, I come here, check for activity, find there is none and I leave. Perhaps if we want this board to continue we need to be realistic with ourselves and ask if we are willing to put into it what we get out of it? Just like anything else, when ignored it will eventually go away.
I personally don't like Facebook, and now I'm trying to operate my business on it headbang Its way too impersonal. Nobody really knows my pups there. I'm willing to really focus on posting here more if it will help, but we'll all need to ban together if this is going to work, What do others think?

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 10/20/19 02:45 AM

Well, hey, I went back through my cashed PMs and we are missing some great contributors but some questionable (that's generous) folks showed up, too. It would be ideal to get more active without "going there."

I guess one positive of a small following, is, well, that it is usually positive. People accept disagreements with some grace. I do miss people who would question a lot of our "wisdom" - because, although it can be annoying, it can also be healthy.

I think we are mostly seasoned dog people (now what herbs would you use for that?) so we don't have long training discussions, haven't got anything going on questioning people who decide their dog is breed worthy, have resolved a lot of the issues we had, etc.
Posted By: Woodreb

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 10/20/19 06:21 PM

By the way - I use this site as my homepage, so I pass through to see if there's anything new whenever I go on line. If it shuts down I'll need a new home page. frown
Posted By: Islandgsds

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 10/20/19 06:48 PM

I have to say. I've wanted to come back but I've had some trouble. It's been years since I lost Palla (2016) and then Larka.(2017)
Both were very unexpected. Palla was consumed by seizures and it was a matter of try to bring her back or end the suffering. I still can't stop second guessing my self on the fact I let her go instead of trying. Larka woke me in the night to say good by. At the emerg vet, xray showed her spleen was a huge cancerous mass. It had flipped on her and was pressing on get lungs and heart. We had no choice.
So every time I come here I can't help but start crying.
Anyone who is on fb with me knows I use it to send jokes as a stress relief.
I do love the sight and would hate to see it go. So I promised I will come back.
I'm sick of the phoney baloney of fb anyway.

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 10/20/19 09:34 PM

I so wish you would return Sandra. Here your important. Here we know the dogs you love and have loved so much. I know its hard after loosing them, but if you can find a way to push through that pain and maybe express it here (if it feels right) then we'd all be richer with you here. I still come here and cry and write about Eli. Its the only place on line that knew him. That's important to me. In fact, I need to do more of that. I'm missing that boy like no tomorrow.

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 10/21/19 03:33 AM

I'm thinking.... We read the post about the boards maybe closing down and all the sudden we're here. We post, we get answers and it gets more interesting for all of us. Maybe if we can keep this up it would be worth saving the boards. I, for one, realize what an important part of my life this forum has been. But I'm like so many. I come here, check last activity and seeing none I leave. But its just like everything else, if you ignore it long enough it goes away. I'm sure we can come up with interesting ideas.

I just put up a post and Sashi's nails. The suggestions helped me. It's been something I had been thinking about for two days now so I'm glad I put it up there. The point is maybe there's other things we can ask each other.

Just want to add that I wouldn't dream of putting any question on Facebook. Here its safe.

Perhaps we can get this going a bit and then look to invite more people back. Anyone think that's a good idea?

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 10/21/19 03:43 AM

I agree, that if the same threads are in active topics without new posts, I generally go away. I think sometimes we post on the other site because it has more traffic. I suppose we need to get the traffic moving. Just seemed to have a pile-up there for a while.

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 10/21/19 03:43 AM

Maybe we could open up the Photo Contests a few times a year to include any breed?? I know this is a GSD board, many of our little group don't even have a GSD anymore. Some have other breeds which they are just as proud of as we are of ours. Same even for Val and her girl. I'd just like everyone to feel included and that their dog is just as important here.

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 10/21/19 03:07 PM

That's an interesting idea - maybe one "free for all"? Often times, though, I go back through old photos to find something to submit. At least once, I scanned a photo because that software doesn't work on my newer machine. What I'm saying here is that there is no requirement that the photo has to be current. Hopefully other people have a stack of photos of GSD past that would be eligible. How would a mix it up photo work with Val's ability to use the photo to promote the board? Another thought along those lines would be to allow people to post a photo that fits the theme but would not be included in the voting?

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 10/21/19 03:18 PM

Sandra's post is thought provoking -- this could be like reading your diary and maybe even the happy posts bring feelings of regret.

To the overall thoughts of "more traffic" perhaps someone could enlist a "not a dog friend" (do we have any of those?) to do a search on their computers to see what comes up at the top few spots regarding "GSD discussion". I'm pretty sure if it is on our machines it would show the sites we already visit often. ...

I don't know what we would do with the results, though.
Posted By: dano

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 10/21/19 07:06 PM

Hey Everyone!
I don't visit often, but I used to, was here from the start. Along the way, learned alot. I am grateful for that.
To everything, there is a season, turn, turn, turn. If it's time, it's time. No regrets. We came we saw, we jawed, we may have even helped a newbie or two endure the hard times, taught them some timely shortcut that made it a bit easier. We definately consoled one another when we endure the grief hosting beasts who just don't have to live as long to fufill their mission ultimately do. We witnessed some awesome creatures, that is for sure.
Thanks again!
Posted By: Karin

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 10/22/19 03:28 PM

I would also really hate to see the forum shut down, although I do understand why you would consider it. If it's mainly financial, I'd be willing to contribute to the cause. I will also definitely make it a point to come here more often if you do keep it open. Heidi is currently having some health problems (a tumor in her chest) and I don't know how much longer we have with her. This is the place I always come when I need help and advice, which I always receive. Your post is a reminder to come here on a regular basis to see what is going on with everyone and be ready to give advice myself, not just come here when I need help.

No matter what you decide, we'll all support you, Val. This forum has gotten Heidi, me, and my husband through some really tough times and has also provided so much enjoyment, laughs, and support. Although many of us met while on the other forum and moved here when Val created this forum, we were able to stay in touch here. This was before the days of Facebook, Twitter, etc., and a lot of us had young-to-middle-aged GSDs with various challenging issues. Heidi had many behavioral and medical issues that were the reason I ended up on a GSD forum after searching the Web.

We'll never forget the great people and dogs that we've met and gotten to know online AND in person here in the Bay Area. I remember meeting up with 20+ GSDs and their owners for outings at Fort Funston and Point Isabel. Sharing our pictures here was so much fun. Even though most of the dogs from that time (with the exception of Heidi and Calone's Tilden) are no longer with us, the memories will always be. Thanks again, Val, for creating such a warm, supportive, fun place for all of us GSD lovers!

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 10/22/19 04:50 PM

I hope to see more of you Karin. I feel the same way you do in that this really has helped us all over the years. I'm going to do my best to be here more often. I think the more we can post, the more activity we will enjoy.

So sorry to hear of Heidi's tumor. She's an amazing girl and so very loved.
Posted By: Karin

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 10/22/19 11:28 PM

Thank you, Rosa. It's hard because she's still doing pretty well. She still eats well, plays with her toys, loves belly rubs and doing her tricks. As long as she's not in pain and still enjoys life, we'll just keep going until that changes. It's so difficult when they get to be elderly and start having more serious health problems.

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 10/22/19 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Karin
Thank you, Rosa. It's hard because she's still doing pretty well. She still eats well, plays with her toys, loves belly rubs and doing her tricks. As long as she's not in pain and still enjoys life, we'll just keep going until that changes. It's so difficult when they get to be elderly and start having more serious health problems.

I couldn't agree more. It is so hard when their body's start failing them as they age. I was so lucky to be able to be home with Eli the entire time. Guess all we can do is cherish every moment we have with them.

Please keep us posted on Heidi. I'd love to hear how she's doing. Your right, she is one of the few remaining 'original' dogs on this forum. So sad.
Posted By: Mary Jane

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 10/23/19 12:53 PM

The members of this board (and their dogs) mean a lot to me. But I'm at the age (68) where a lot of things I value seem to slip away-or I slip away. I'm basically down to my work and Nova. Nova gets most of my attention apart from lab work. I really don't want to lose this safe space for serious and silly dog talk.

MJ

PS-David is still alive and well-KW-but we seem just to be so busy..........
Posted By: SeanRescueMom

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 10/26/19 02:29 AM

Add me to the list of members who would hate to see the site shut down. Being another member from the old board, when I believe it was Rhya who was in charge, I was disappointed when it changed hands. I came over to Val's board and was glad I did. I also miss many of the old members who posted here and left but appreciate the friendships I made and faithful members who remained. I never, ever joined Facebook - I'm adamant about not participating in any social media site. Like others have expressed, I've never really gotten over Sean passing away. I hate to admit it but I'm sure others can understand I still have his collar and leash hanging by the back door. I vowed never to take it down. frown However, I have come here from time to time to ask questions about my daughter's dog. Everyone has been extremely helpful and given me both knowledgeable and supportive advice. Basically what I'm trying to put into words is that I don't know where I'd be without the gsd board. I hope we can attract new members and bring back some of the former ones. Count me in to try and post more frequently or do whatever it takes to keep the board going. thumbup

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 10/28/19 02:34 PM

Thank You all for responding. I love the forum, but I was beginning to think that members had lost interest. I know many of us have lost dogs, but I think our friendship was way more than just the dogs.

I will keep the forum going as long as there is interest and people are posting.

I truly like to read about how everyone is doing.
Posted By: Kayos

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 10/28/19 08:20 PM

I am not surprised but it does make me sad. Many forums like this have closed due to fb.

Admittedly I spend more time on fb than I do on forums. In fact this is the only forum I am currently on, but I don't visit here often enough.

I cannot stand fb. It is a mess. But I have friends from all over the world as my job was mobile and I moved a lot. Fb is then best way to stay in touch.

I can't figure MeWe out. So I'll keep checking in here to catch up with those that are not on fb.

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 10/28/19 08:23 PM

And I will add - the forum is comfortable. No politics, no religion, no controversy.

There are a few here that I have been friends with on fb but unfriended due to politics. Not here as its not allowed. I like that.

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 10/29/19 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Kayos
And I will add - the forum is comfortable. No politics, no religion, no controversy.

There are a few here that I have been friends with on fb but unfriended due to politics. Not here as its not allowed. I like that.

What? No politics? No religion?? No controversy??? That's it, I'm leaving. smile

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 10/29/19 07:11 PM

Selzer you are so funny. rofl

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 10/30/19 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Wisc.Tiger_Val
Selzer you are so funny. rofl

I agree rofl

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 10/30/19 12:47 AM

I'm so glad we don't have to loose this board. We do have to work to keep it going but we can and we will. I have a couple of people in mind that I'm going to invite here. But for me, I'd rather have a handful of responses here than to get 200 'likes' or comments from so many strangers on Facebook. We know each other here and we care about each other here.
Posted By: Jan

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 10/30/19 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Shilohsmom
I'm so glad we don't have to loose this board. We do have to work to keep it going but we can and we will. I have a couple of people in mind that I'm going to invite here. But for me, I'd rather have a handful of responses here than to get 200 'likes' or comments from so many strangers on Facebook. We know each other here and we care about each other here.

I'm glad too. I never really got around to posting here much. Just when I started, I thought it was going to close. Story of my life. LOL!
Posted By: RaisingBaby

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 10/30/19 04:12 AM

I used to post here... more on the other website, till I got banned. I found this place much friendlier and less lines drawn between working/show lines LEO training etc.

My GSD "Summer" is doing great, she's 5.5 years old now. She matured into everything I was hoping she would. It's so cool, (to finally be able to spend required time with the GSD breed (retired since I got her and she is my 5th GSD in my life).

The difference is amazing on time spent; I can instruct/advise her lol..... with the simplest tiny hand gesture/posture turn or skkkt noise. Our communications skills and her obedience is over the top - its communication/conditioned response - not "tricks taught or response only in certain conditions - spending time, time, time with her has produced amazing results. Thru some adverse situations in our neighborhood, in the last couple of years... my dog! has become the favorite of our police department. Literally, PD is here 5 days per week in our block and Summer is the one that alerts, looks and turns to me to indicate "call the PoPo".... it's happening again outside.

Would love to share my experiences with this Xtra smart GSD (when one has the proper time to spend with them) with others. Hope this site survives. It is a "welcome retreat" for just GSD pet owners when the other site got a little too political, a little too line bitchy and a little too pushy... closed off to new ideas. Certain people were able to run the boards. Fresh attitudes are needed... nobody comments on Facebook etc harshly judges type, hammers on strict training methods (from LEO's) or lets long time breeders control boards.

If this site relaunches/refreshes ; I would hope that it is done with some new faces, places and with an open mind. Your audience is with the pet owner. Don't try to do it all. Stick to what you've done best and avoid what "the other site" has become. They have foreign "China" sponsor money, I talked with them.... but you know that. Best Wishes:)
Posted By: TMarie

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 10/31/19 12:51 AM

Hi Val, although I haven't posted in years, I do come here periodically when I am looking for an answer for something and do a quick search. I too, will be sad to see the board close, but I understand. It seems since Facebook got so popular everyone tends to spend more time there. I struggle finding the time to post on FB too though, and after FB locked my account awhile back I lost most of my friends on there anyways. I always enjoyed my time here when I was a regular, it always felt like home.

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 10/31/19 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by TMarie
Hi Val, although I haven't posted in years, I do come here periodically when I am looking for an answer for something and do a quick search. I too, will be sad to see the board close, but I understand. It seems since Facebook got so popular everyone tends to spend more time there. I struggle finding the time to post on FB too though, and after FB locked my account awhile back I lost most of my friends on there anyways. I always enjoyed my time here when I was a regular, it always felt like home.

We're here if you ever want to come visit. Love to have the company.

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 10/31/19 02:15 PM

TMarie, please come back and post when you can. I miss your dogs and I miss the stories about the cat colony.
Posted By: Vinnie

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 10/31/19 10:21 PM

Boo pumpkinhi

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 11/01/19 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by Vinnie
Boo pumpkinhi

Great to see you!!! Pull up a chair and make yourself at home.
Posted By: Wolfie

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 11/01/19 12:43 PM

I sincerely hope we can keep this forum around. (at least until I make it to "Carpel Tunnel")

Joking aside.Even if I don't feel I have much to say, I check in daily. The many knowledgeable members and the information they have provided over the years is invaluable. thanks
Posted By: MaxaLisa

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 11/05/19 08:17 PM

I think it would be very sad to lose the forum - it has been "home" to so many, and has so much information, and isn't run by a corporation.

I haven't been around because of life circumstances, but there definitely hasn't been much traffic. I keep my eye on the health forums primarily, and they have been very quiet.

I have tried searching for certain threads recently, wanting to share with someone. We know that the search function on the forum is goofy, so I always use google - put in what I'm searching for, I usually know a few key words, and put in the address of the forum, and google would always show what I was looking for. Lately, I can't seem to find anything when I do that. I suspect it's the change in google's algorithm. I don't know if hiding all the posts on the forum that are older has anything to do with it, but I really do think that google has screwed up searching on the forum (since they are actively filtering a lot of stuff from viewing), which very well may mean that people are not being directed here either. This is a shame frown

I wonder if going all-breed would be more welcoming. Maybe a trial for the next year if people are up to that, but I understand if you aren't in the right place to continue the forum. I would certainly be willing to contribute to the annual fees.

I really detest the FB option. The format isn't conducive to real conversation and privacy is a huge issue. With FB actively mining for health info, etc., it concerns me, even though I am in all sorts of goofy health groups because of me, my folks, my dogs, etc. I was mostly off of FB, but members in the hiking group post a lot of photos there, so I went back. I try not to post there, though I do read a lot from the groups I am in (I really miss forums). I don't have experience with MeWe.

I know that retirement is a big transition, in lots of ways. I saw my parents go through it, and a lot of friends, and I'm paying more attention as I am getting closer to that phase in my life...

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 11/05/19 11:30 PM

Well you couldn't pay me money to ask a question about my pups on Facebook. There's just too many wacko's out there and with my dogs its personal. I'd be way to sensitive for some of the reply's I've seen there. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of good people of Facebook but its just way too impersonal for me.

I feel at home here. Heck, I've got 6 1/2 years of fighting cancer on one thread alone.

I think we can bring back this forum but were all going to have to work at it. If we get more posts we can have more traffic and everyone wins.

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 11/22/19 10:41 PM

Rosa I have griped about my demon spawn corgi puppy a few times on fb. You would have thought I was going to kill her or something. My poor abused puppy....

Maybe consider allowing herding breeds instead of all breeds?

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum - 11/23/19 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Kayos
Rosa I have griped about my demon spawn corgi puppy a few times on fb. You would have thought I was going to kill her or something. My poor abused puppy...….

Maybe consider allowing herding breeds instead of all breeds?

You keep posting pictures of that corgi, and I am going to come steal her. She's such a trip, and I am getting way too attached to seeing her smile and zoom around and gaze adoringly. In another 9 years, with patience and persistence, she will be the best dog in the neighborhood. .
© 2020 GermanShepherdHome.net