GermanShepherdHome.net

FDA Warning on Dog food - DCM and taurine(?)

Posted By: Shilohsmom

FDA Warning on Dog food - DCM and taurine(?) - 08/06/18 12:48 AM

They are saying there could be a link between grain free dog food and heart disease.

https://www.fda.gov/animalveterinary/newsevents/cvmupdates/ucm613305.htm
Posted By: Wolfie

Re: FDA Warning on Dog food - DCM and taurine(?) - 08/06/18 01:12 AM

I wonder which brand each of these dogs were fed, that would be nice to know. It is getting harder and harder to trust ANY dog food.

I am really thinking of just going 100% RAW.

Re: FDA Warning on Dog food - DCM and taurine(?) - 08/06/18 02:59 AM

I wish they had mentioned names too. I've just started looking at this and really don't know what to think yet. headbang
Posted By: Wisc.Tiger_Val

Re: FDA Warning on Dog food - DCM and taurine(?) - 08/06/18 03:05 PM

I am including a link to a post on the American Veterinarian website. I don't think they are looking at any specific brands, it is more about the whole grain-free diet and the potatoes or multiple legumes as well as their protein, starch, and fiber sources early in the ingredient list, indicating that those were the main ingredients. Also feeding raw doesn't solve the problem they are seeing.
https://www.americanveterinarian.co...en-grainfree-dog-foods-and-heart-disease

I feed a grain free food that is venison and potato, but she gets grains with other things she eats, like I will toss some leftover pasta in her food. I may also go back to adding some cooked Oatmeal in her food.
Posted By: Woodreb

Re: FDA Warning on Dog food - DCM and taurine(?) - 08/06/18 04:04 PM

I read the FDA article and the link that Val posted. Both talk about the problem being related to not enough taurine. The best sources of taurine are muscle meats - so it may not be surprising to find that diets with too much of any kind of carb as a major ingredient is a problem.
That being said, it seems this is a fairly recent study and they are not entirely sure what is the cause of the problem, the link to diet is a theory right now, not a proven fact.
Posted By: MaxaLisa

Re: FDA Warning on Dog food - DCM and taurine(?) - 08/08/18 01:17 AM

I have been following this a bit, and the problem appears not exactly to be grain free, but grain free filled with protein fillers like peas and lentils, as I understand it, but it's still not completely clear.

I thought the following were pretty interesting...

https://drjeandoddspethealthresource.tumblr.com/post/176405475391/fda-dog-heart-disease#.W2BQAtIzrIU

(sorry the next one is so long, it's a FB post - Monica Segal is also one of the few places where you can get taurine not from China)
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2161940860500278&id=216331401727910&refid=17&_ft_=top_level_post_id.2161940860500278%3Atl_objid.2161940860500278%3Athrowback_story_fbid.2161940860500278%3Apage_id.216331401727910%3Aphoto_id.2161940003833697%3Apage_insights.{"216331401727910"%3A{"role"%3A1%2C"page_id"%3A216331401727910%2C"post_context"%3A{"story_fbid"%3A2161940860500278%2C"publish_time"%3A1531665000%2C"story_name"%3A"EntStatusCreationStory"%2C"object_fbtype"%3A266}%2C"actor_id"%3A216331401727910%2C"psn"%3A"EntStatusCreationStory"%2C"sl"%3A4%2C"dm"%3A{"isShare"%3A0%2C"originalPostOwnerID"%3A0}%2C"targets"%3A[{"page_id"%3A216331401727910%2C"actor_id"%3A216331401727910%2C"role"%3A1%2C"post_id"%3A2161940860500278%2C"share_id"%3A0}]}}%3Athid.216331401727910%3A306061129499414%3A2%3A0%3A1535785199%3A8271782668477390926&__tn__=*s-R

Hope these FB links work...
https://m.facebook.com/comment/replies/?ctoken=1788209067962738_1788214081295570&actor_id=1833821513&ft_ent_identifier=1788209067962738&gfid=AQBoOwhko7r2TV5P&refid=52&_ft_=top_level_post_id.1788209067962738%3Atl_objid.1788209067962738%3Athrowback_story_fbid.1788209067962738%3Apage_id.373471946103131%3Apage_insights.{"373471946103131"%3A{"role"%3A1%2C"page_id"%3A373471946103131%2C"post_context"%3A{"story_fbid"%3A1788209067962738%2C"publish_time"%3A1533079542%2C"story_name"%3A"EntStatusCreationStory"%2C"object_fbtype"%3A266}%2C"actor_id"%3A373471946103131%2C"psn"%3A"EntStatusCreationStory"%2C"sl"%3A4%2C"dm"%3A{"isShare"%3A1%2C"originalPostOwnerID"%3A0}%2C"targets"%3A[{"page_id"%3A373471946103131%2C"actor_id"%3A373471946103131%2C"role"%3A1%2C"post_id"%3A1788209067962738%2C"share_id"%3A0}]}}%3Athid.373471946103131&__tn__=R#comment_form_373471946103131_1788209067962738_reply_1788209067962738_1788214081295570
Posted By: jlstudent1970

Re: FDA Warning on Dog food - DCM and taurine(?) - 08/14/18 03:04 PM

I found out that a good amount were eating Zignatures and Pure Vita. One GSD 3yrs old had CHF, what a shame, the Dr. gave him 6 to 8 months to live, however he is responding well on meds. This dog was feed kangaroo Zignatures. I am sorry I can't say where I got info from b/c it is confidential but I wanted people to know what I found out.

Re: FDA Warning on Dog food - DCM and taurine(?) - 08/14/18 10:21 PM

I'm not sure what to do here especially with a new pup coming soon. I feed Taste of the Wild. Before I was feeding the different flavors but recently I just switched to their Pine Forrest variety. I did this because I was looking for something different hoping it would help Eli's skin. According to TOTW this receipe includes 'nutrient rich legumes like peas and garbanzo beans.'

I'm not sold on grain free. I'd be fine with a quality food with or without grains.

Re: FDA Warning on Dog food - DCM and taurine(?) - 08/15/18 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by jlstudent1970
I found out that a good amount were eating Zignatures and Pure Vita. One GSD 3yrs old had CHF, what a shame, the Dr. gave him 6 to 8 months to live, however he is responding well on meds. This dog was feed kangaroo Zignatures. I am sorry I can't say where I got info from b/c it is confidential but I wanted people to know what I found out.

Thanks for that info!

Re: FDA Warning on Dog food - DCM and taurine(?) - 08/15/18 11:52 AM

I would use a good food with some grain in and or merrick's grain free line don't have lentils, peas or chickpeas. I have heard puppies do better with some grains in their food, especially if there is no known allergy that a vet found. Maybe some one on here can suggest a good grain in diet. Anymore with dog food I don't even know what brand is good.

Re: FDA Warning on Dog food - DCM and taurine(?) - 08/15/18 11:40 PM

Here is my point of view (just my opinion) peas and chickpeas and lentils are high in fiber, which some dogs can't absorb all their nutrients. Also, they boost protein in dog food, which is not good, seems the dogs are getting a good amount of protein from legumes which don't have all the amino acids as meat that they need including taurine which is found in meats. Now, there are wild animals that eat grain, but NEVER legumes that I know of. So in a nut Schell I don't like grain free that much. I looked up some grains for their fiber and protein count and legumes have a lot more fiber and protein. Don't know if that matters in dog food? Maybe the protein level in grain in diets may have more of meat protein count, but not sure. Food for thought.

Re: FDA Warning on Dog food - DCM and taurine(?) - 08/19/18 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by MaxaLisa
Originally Posted by jlstudent1970

Thanks for that info!

Yes, Thank you! thumbup

Re: FDA Warning on Dog food - DCM and taurine(?) - 08/20/18 12:27 AM

The problem is all the top foods I've found so far have been 'grain free'. Paul just left so I'll have some time to begin looking at this. Anyone familiar of a good quality food that's not grain free?
Posted By: samralf

Re: FDA Warning on Dog food - DCM and taurine(?) - 08/25/18 06:00 AM

Fromm is a good choice. They have a large selection to choose from and they are a reputable company.
Posted By: Wisc.Tiger_Val

Re: FDA Warning on Dog food - DCM and taurine(?) - 08/31/18 08:35 PM

Saw this today. Good Read. https://thesciencedog.wordpress.com/2018/08/30/the-heart-of-the-matter/

Re: FDA Warning on Dog food - DCM and taurine(?) - 09/01/18 12:36 AM

That was a great article. Thanks for posting. For once its nice to not see our GSDs on the list of breeds most affected.
Posted By: BowWowMeow

Re: FDA Warning on Dog food - DCM and taurine(?) - 09/05/18 01:39 AM

Hi all -- I have been discussing this very issue in a PM with Lori and Deb and wanted to let people know about the FB group on this topic. It is run by the cardiologist who is leading the research, a couple of vets and some golden people. In addition to the foods mentioned above the #1 food correlated with DCM is Acana. It's not all varieties of Acana but it's a lot of them. Fromm is also on there (including some grain inclusive Fromm) and lots of other foods. They are advising if you are feeding any foods with the suspect ingredients in the top 5 (legumes, potatoes, sweet potatoes) that you have your dog's whole blood tested BEFORE switching foods. There are instructions for the blood testing in that FB group. Thus far it's affected more goldens than other breeds but gsds, other breeds, and mixes have been affected too. I think it's very important to get the word out. My new guy (a blue heeler) was on Acana but I switched him before I knew to get the blood test. I have found figuring out kibble such a headache now that I'm switching him primarily to raw. The FB group is here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1952593284998859/

Beware that it's heavily moderated and they will delete comments with no warning. They are pushing Royal Canin and some of the Purina foods but there are people suggesting other foods. Take a look at the files on dogs who have been tested.
Posted By: Kris

Re: FDA Warning on Dog food - DCM and taurine(?) - 09/05/18 02:05 AM

Thanks for the information, Ruth. Who is the veterinarian running the page? And the cardiologist's name? I just requested to join, but those two people aren't standing out to me in the list of admins and/or moderators. Will be interesting to see how this unfolds... Congrats on your new pup!!

Re: FDA Warning on Dog food - DCM and taurine(?) - 09/05/18 04:59 AM

Hi Kris! Dr. Joshua Stern out of UC Davis is the cardiologist and the vet is not someone I have ever heard of but she seems to spend a lot of time moderating. Now they are contradicting their original advice and saying that because breeds and mixes other than goldens haven't necessarily shown the low taurine, taurine levels may not be a predictor of DCM and that the only way to know for sure is to do an Echo! Really scary stuff. I've put Felix (new guy) on sardines now. Hopefully he is ok. :-(

This is the summary of a webinar put on by the "Pet Food Industry" and the FDA today:

They have 149 DCM cases (160) dogs, 35 deaths - 90% are on grain-free diets or boutique food. They are seeing dogs with low Taurine and not.

Three kinds of DCM:
1 - Standard DCM - genetic in particular breeds
2 - Taurine deficiency and DCM - both typical and atypical breeds
3 - Diet associated, not Taurine deficient- both typical and atypical breeds

They recommend the following if you have been diagnosed:

Report to the FDA
Keep track of diet history
Save the food
Measure the Taurine levels
Standard Taurine supplementing (levels recommended by vet)
Changing diet - do so by talking to your vet, cardiologist, or nutritionist —do not take recommendations from pet stores
Repeat the ultrasound, echo in 3-4 months (changes, if they happen, may take 6-9 months to be seen)

Companies have not been specifically notified that may be implicated as suspicious diets. They have reached out to a few companies, but did not mention specifically. Most companies were made aware through the Pet Food Industry (PFI). Some of the boutique and small companies may not be members of the PFI.

Re: FDA Warning on Dog food - DCM and taurine(?) - 09/05/18 07:05 PM

Thanks so much Ruth! As usual, your explanation is so much easier to follow than their's. It just seems like it's changing so quickly - add taurine, no - don't add taurine. I joined the group so will be watching carefully. I didn't realize that this was such a prevalent condition in dogs?

Re: FDA Warning on Dog food - DCM and taurine(?) - 09/05/18 07:13 PM

I've got to admit this is about as confusing as it gets to me.

Thanks for the info Ruth and its so nice to see you again. Please don't be a stranger around here. I have submitted a request to join that group. I really don't like Facebook and am worried I might not find it helpful.

My concern, is Kody and soon to be, Shoshi will be on TOTW grain free. All the good foods are grain free now. Someone suggested Fromm's but now I see that's on the list. It doesn't matter as Fromm's is only sold in a very high priced pet store here and I simply cannot afford those prices. If I was feeding ONE small dog it would be different, but I have one super large dog (Eli 120+ lbs) and a small GSD, Kody and soon the baby.

Why aren't brands mentioned? Why is that a secret? Both Shiloh and Shoshi were on TOTW and Merrick throughout their lives and both lived to 13.5 years. Eli's been on the same and even with all his issues he will be twelve in November. I think its pretty rare for a dog his size to live as long as he has. All that on grain free food. Now that I think about it, I think way back when it wasn't grain free but I just don't know when things changed.

Honestly, I just don't know what to do. I also can't afford Raw at this time.

Re: FDA Warning on Dog food - DCM and taurine(?) - 09/05/18 07:56 PM

I just spoke with a lady from TOTW. She said they have always supplemented the dog food with taurine. She said because its become such an issue the new bags are going to start showing that in their Guaranteed Analysis. I feel better about that. What do you folks think?
Posted By: Woodreb

Re: FDA Warning on Dog food - DCM and taurine(?) - 09/05/18 08:46 PM

I'm not trying to belittle the various observations that have been made concerning this condition. But I'm not seeing a lot of numbers associated with some of the articles linked so far. And without hard numbers, it's really hard to judge how widespread the problem really is (some, many, etc don't really tell me anything that puts the information in perspective)

I don't really think 149 cases out of the entire dog population of this country (~89.5 million) is something I would call prevalent. Should we be aware - yes. Should we follow things and see where they lead - yes. Should we all panic - I'm not so sure that is warranted at this stage
Who started these studies - did anything originate from one of the big dog food producers. It seems they have been trying to convince everyone that grain free and raw diets are not good for animals that did not evolve to eat what they make as dog food for quite some time.

Yes - I see where it says some vets have made the observations, but I know vets who think it's terrible to feed a raw diet, so how objective are they?

Feed the best you are comfortable feeding and maybe give them some raw meat when you can, so their diet is a bit more natural.

Re: FDA Warning on Dog food - DCM and taurine(?) - 09/05/18 10:41 PM

Totally agree with you Johanna! It kind of reminds me when they said we shouldn't eat eggs because they were going to kill us. Now eggs are promoted and good for us! It changes daily and seems to be based on opinion most of the time. My dogs have lived long, healthy lives, so i'll probably continue doing what I've always done. Still interested in the results, but I think they have a long way to go before something is definitive.
Posted By: PositiveDog

Re: FDA Warning on Dog food - DCM and taurine(?) - 09/05/18 11:47 PM

Thank you, Johanna. I agree totally.

Re: FDA Warning on Dog food - DCM and taurine(?) - 09/05/18 11:49 PM

Agh, the group is now a closed group. I don't want to join as I am not on Facebook that much.

It is indeed very confusing. Yukon has been fed Fromm since I got him at 8wks. I do occasionally switch to other brands (that list is getting smaller now) for variety and also supplement with raw daily. I can't have him tested as I don't have that kind of money right now (in the process of moving)

He will be 11yrs old at the end of October, I would think if anything were seriously wrong either myself, my mum or vet would have noticed a decline in health and behaviour. He still acts like a 3-4yr old.

I will pop into the store I buy my dog food and see what the owner says about all of this. She is really good at keeping up-to-date on food related issues.

Re: FDA Warning on Dog food - DCM and taurine(?) - 09/06/18 12:19 AM

I agree. I'm not going to worry about any of this right now and I'm not going to have my pups undergo unnecessary testing. Your right, the numbers of dogs affected is small. It will be interesting what they finally stay about this.

Re: FDA Warning on Dog food - DCM and taurine(?) - 09/07/18 01:30 AM

Hi sorry I posted that and then disappeared. That's what my work life is like now. :p To simplify: although lots of the mods on that FB group are pushing RC and PP, the recommendations from cardiologists is that you choose a food that doesn't have legumes, potatoes, or sweet potatoes in the top 5 ingredients. _It does not matter if the food contains added taurine as it's some combo of the legumes that is inhibiting absorption for some dogs. They really have no idea what is causing this, dogs that shouldn't be getting heart disease are getting it now. Some of these dogs are very young. In some cases multiple dogs in a household (different breeds, different ages) who are eating the same food are getting diagnosed with DCM. If the pet food companies make changes right now it should be to get those legumes out of the main ingredients and some of them are doing that (see below). It is very true that right now it's a statistically insignificant number of dogs who have died or been diagnosed but there is clearly something going on and, since grain free has been around for years, it's something new.

These are the foods so far where at least 1 dog has low taurine AND dilated cardio myopathy. It is not all formulas. If you need more info just PM and I'll look it up:

4 Health
Acana
Blue Buffalo
Canidae
Fromm
PureVita
Nutrisource
Kirkland
Nature's Variety
Petcurean
TOTW
Zignature

I became concerned because Felix was eating Acana and many dogs eating Acana got sick. Felix's energy level dropped dramatically about 4 months after I adopted him. He was diagnosed and treated for both hookworm and erlichiosis but his energy level never came back to his previous level. So when I saw this I thought maybe it was the food. I was kind of shocked when I looked at the ingredients and saw that 8 out of the top 11 ingredients were legumes and legumes were numbers 4-10. When I went to their website just now I saw that they have completely changed their ingredients so that the top 6 ingredients (of the formula I was feeding) are now fish products. I compared it with the old bag and there's a big difference so that's good.

The research got started when cardiologist Joshua Stern (who is a golden owner) noticed there were a lot of goldens coming in with diet-induced DCM. He reached out to cardiologists around the country and together they noticed a trend. There were enough cases there for the FDA to issue several warnings.

If you want to supplement taurine they recommend using whole foods (like sardines or chicken thighs) rather than a powdered supplement.

Re: FDA Warning on Dog food - DCM and taurine(?) - 09/07/18 02:12 PM

Thanks Ruth. I sent you a PM. Would like to know what formulas of TOTW are on the list. Unfortunately, only two of their formulas are All Life Stages. The others are all Maintenance formulas.

Re: FDA Warning on Dog food - DCM and taurine(?) - 09/07/18 04:29 PM

Ruth, you are always such a wealth of information - thank you. I feed NutriSource and have for years because of Sammy's allergies. I just stuck with it because Petie & Annabel do well on it also - or so I think. I am feeding it to Ryder (6 mos.) old also. I did see information that NutriSource is adding taurine, but that doesn't seem to be the problem. I feed the Chicken and Pea, but I'll check out the other formulas.

Re: FDA Warning on Dog food - DCM and taurine(?) - 09/07/18 11:05 PM

Got your PM Rosa and will send you the data. Here is a good scientific article: https://thesciencedog.wordpress.com/2018/08/30/the-heart-of-the-matter/

Re: FDA Warning on Dog food - DCM and taurine(?) - 09/07/18 11:14 PM

Many thanks Ruth. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Re: FDA Warning on Dog food - DCM and taurine(?) - 09/09/18 05:44 AM

I took pictures because there was too much information. You can see the formulas on the right. The ones in yellow mean taurine levels were low. You can see in the column next to that whether they had an echocardiogram and what those results were. Hope this helps! Also, there is one dog on there fed Barking at the Moon who was got a very low taurine result but it doesn't look like an echo was done yet.

For those of you who have adopted a wait and see attitude: I urge you to at least see if the formula you're feeding has any dogs with diet-induced DCM.

Attached picture Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 1.33.25 AM.png
Attached picture Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 1.34.09 AM.png

Re: FDA Warning on Dog food - DCM and taurine(?) - 09/30/18 08:39 PM

Lots of great info added to this thread, thanks Ruth for posting some of that, I meant to, but didn't back to the forum. I think if a food is questionable, it's a safer bet to move away from it, unless there are compelling reasons not to.

Re: FDA Warning on Dog food - DCM and taurine(?) - 09/30/18 08:53 PM

I ended up switching my pups to Victors. I know this is all new but I didn't want to take any chances.

Re: FDA Warning on Dog food - DCM and taurine(?) - 09/30/18 08:56 PM

As an after thought, since I know that a lot of GSDs are picky about their food and switching is not all that easy, taurine can be added to any diet, check the ingredient list and if it's not there, you can add some. I used to add some to indy's diet due to her heart disease.

Rosa, I hope that the new food works out!

Re: FDA Warning on Dog food - DCM and taurine(?) - 11/24/18 07:48 PM

More info on this:

https://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/full/10.2460/javma.253.11.1390

Re: FDA Warning on Dog food - DCM and taurine(?) - 03/03/19 05:10 AM

Updating this sticky....

A few articles from Jean Dodds' Blog:

Dilated Cardiomyopathy (heart disease) in Dogs and Why Some Dogs Eat “Exotic” Ingredients
1/6/2019
https://www.hemopet.org/dcm-heart-disease-dogs-exotic-ingredients/

FDA Updates on Heart Disease in Dogs - this contains further links at the end of the article
2/24/2019
https://www.hemopet.org/fda-updates-heart-disease-dogs/

Tufts update from 11/2018
http://vetnutrition.tufts.edu/2018/11/dcm-update/

Website storing a bunch of taurine and DCM info
https://taurinedcm.org/

Posted By: SeanRescueMom

Re: FDA Warning on Dog food - DCM and taurine(?) - 03/04/19 08:04 PM

Lisa, Thanks for the updates and info. thumbup

Updated info on DCM - 06/28/19 02:01 AM

The FDA finally has come out with some info. Its an interesting read.

https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterina...s-and-canine-dilated-cardiomyopathy#diet
Posted By: Kayos

Re: Updated info on DCM - 06/28/19 05:51 PM

Thanks for sharing this! I read a little bit on fb this morning but not the complete report.

Havoc was always sensitive to grain but Mayhem is not. I do plan on adding grain back into her diet. I just need to figure out which brand. I am currently feeding 4Health grain free.

Re: Updated info on DCM - 06/28/19 07:52 PM

You might want to check out some of the lines from Victor's dog food. I have my two on high pro plus and they are doing great on it.

Re: Updated info on DCM - 06/29/19 12:56 PM

Another article on this update.

https://truthaboutpetfood.com/fda-update-to-dcm-investigation-clarifies-a-few-things/

Re: Updated info on DCM - 06/30/19 06:07 AM

Hi all -- I am feeding Felix Farmina Ancient Grains and he's doing great on it.

Re: Updated info on DCM - 06/30/19 05:43 PM

For now I'm sticking to Victors. I'm starting to wonder if Eli's heart issue was related to this. I had them on Taste of the Wild most of the time, along with Merrick. TOTW is high on the list. I don't trust the grain free diets at all and I don't want to switch my two to Purina, Science Diet, Hills or Royal Canine. I just don't trust them.

I hope they come to the bottom of this soon. I fear that so many more dogs are effected and nobody knows about them.

Re: Updated info on DCM - 07/22/19 03:56 AM

7/7/19 Jean Dodds/hemopet update

https://www.hemopet.org/fda-updates-dcm-heart-disease-dogs/

Re: Updated info on DCM - 08/18/19 09:33 PM

8/5/19 Karen Becker makes some interesting points here about DCM

https://healthypets.mercola.com/sit...y-related-dilated-cardiomyopathy-in-dogs

Re: Updated info on DCM - 10/22/19 12:03 AM

I just haven't had any time to read up on this lately. Does anyone know if there's been any updates? Has anyone ended up changing their dogs food? I changed way back when to Victors and I'm happy with it and the dogs seem to be doing great on it. Sasha is due to a physical soon but she's doing great.

Re: Updated info on DCM - 05/27/20 12:50 AM

A couple of DCM updates

new study released (link to pdf): https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article/file?id=10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0233206&type=printable

comments on this study: https://truthaboutpetfood.com/major-error-found-in-new-dcm-study/
© 2021 GermanShepherdHome.net