GermanShepherdHome.net

Non-GSD question for a friend

Posted By: Sylv

Non-GSD question for a friend - 03/09/11 05:12 PM

My friend has a 10-yr old, unspayed border collie. She recently stopped jumping up on the bed or into the car, will suddenly sit/flop down during walks for about 30 seconds (her eyes roll during this), and isn't eating. The vet first suspected canine pyometra, as she had a heat cycle about a month ago, but a full blood panel came back normal.

Does anybody have any idea what this may be?

Thanks,
Sylv
Posted By: SLEACHY

Re: Non-GSD question for a friend - 03/09/11 05:23 PM

The eyes rolling could be neurological/inner ear. I would see a neurologist after doing a tick panel.

Last year, I did an MRI on my dog because she had nystagmus (eye rolling) only to find everything was normal. I too suffer from vertigo. It's a horrible feeling!
Posted By: MaxaLisa

Re: Non-GSD question for a friend - 03/09/11 05:26 PM

Sorry, if it's not for a GSD, can't answer wink

The "flopping" behavior might make one think of epilepsy. However, with the jumping issue, it makes me think of conditions that can induce seizures or neurological defect.

Infections can do this, like lyme, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. They may not show up in regular bloodwork. If tick tests show nothing, IMO, it would be worth a trial of doxycycline.

Recent vaccination can cause this. Some drugs, like flagyl, could probably cause this. If the dog is an mdr1 dog (BC's are candidates for the mutation), I would look more closely at the drug connection.

There might be some more sinister reasons (brain tumor).

I guess in a weird fluke, a nasty parasitic infection could do this, or maybe even a serious misalignment of some cervical(?) vertebrae.

I hope that they can figure this out, how terrible.

Re: Non-GSD question for a friend - 03/09/11 05:32 PM

Oh, forgot to mention -

Be sure your friend gets a copy of the lab results and looks for values near the "edges" of the range, that might be "almost high or low. Often vets only look for things really out of wack. For example, a slightly low platelet value might not be on the radar of the vet, but could indicate one type of tick disease. If, for example, the absolute neutrophils are close to the upper edge, but not high, the vet might not notice it. Also, can't tell you how many times vets have said the bloodwork is fine when there are some sight weirdness-es, which never ceases to amaze me.

Re: Non-GSD question for a friend - 03/09/11 05:34 PM

Thanks so much!! I am printing this out for her.

Re: Non-GSD question for a friend - 03/09/11 05:44 PM

I'll be thinking good thoughts for her and her dog!
Posted By: JeanKBBMMMAAN

Re: Non-GSD question for a friend - 03/10/11 03:12 AM

Vestibular something or other? Are they sure she doesn't have a closed pyometra - does that have different blood test results? Boy...I'd be thinking of going to Guelph or something? Poor girly! Please let us know.
Posted By: Galloway

Re: Non-GSD question for a friend - 03/10/11 03:59 AM

Any heart issues? The flopping/sitting, eye rolling, almost sounds like a syncopal/fainting episode. Even more concerning because it happens during exercise, even if it is only just walking.
The blood values wouldn't necessarily be off in that case.

On the lesser end of the possibilities, is the dog really arthritic, or painful?
Any chance for a recheck or second opinion?

Re: Non-GSD question for a friend - 03/10/11 05:29 PM

Originally Posted By: JeanKBBMMMAAN
Vestibular something or other?

You called it! She had another vet look at her and he diagnosed "Old Dog Vestibular Syndrome". Fred (yes, her name is Fred, lol), should be fine within a few weeks. party

Re: Non-GSD question for a friend - 03/10/11 05:42 PM

Hope it resolves quickly!
Posted By: JeanKBBMMMAAN

Re: Non-GSD question for a friend - 03/11/11 05:06 PM

Awww, hope Fred (!!!) is feeling better soon.
© 2018 GermanShepherdHome.net