GermanShepherdHome.net

immediate advice needed!! (Sat night)

Posted By: Lin

immediate advice needed!! (Sat night) - 10/24/10 05:06 AM

ok I'm freaking out here. I'm on my phone, no internet here, so I'm going to post from an email I just sent to a friend (her husband is veterinarian) rather than retype it all. So I hope I make sense. This is about Tessa who has a broken leg.

Just a bit ago, I was letting her potty off lead (stupid) and she ran into a creek after my other dog. So, water in her cast/splint. So I raced to walgreens for gauze and decided to do damage control. I cut away the splint and wet gauze to replace it with dry and resplint. But, I found what I think is a pressure sore. I don't know if it's something that needs immediate attention? It being saturday night and I can't afford er vet unless absolutely necessary. The area is very painful for her, some fur came off with the gauze. It's right on her hock, the splint went above the hock (the break is metatarsal). If not emergent, I don't know if I should leave it open or covered until I see the vet. I can send a photo... This is my service dog, which has me more freaked out. I'm paranoid about something causing her to have to retire... 

I can send a photo to anyones phone if interested.. Going to be harder to figure out getting a photo on here from my phone alone.

Re: immediate advice needed!! - 10/24/10 05:11 AM

oh, to add, the wet part was only around her toes but there was a quarter sized dried blood spot through all the cotton on her hock, so I cut down the cotton to look at it. Figured at the least it should have clean covering. Tessa no longer reacts to any pressure where her leg is broken, but whines and yelps pressing near the sore..
Posted By: BowWowMeow

Re: immediate advice needed!! - 10/24/10 05:15 AM

is it full of puss? or is it just a standard variety sore you'd get from something rubbing? Do you have anything you can put on it like calendula/hypericum cream? Got any homeopathic remedies on hand? Vitamin E? Aloe Vera?

I don't you need to go to the vet for something like that, especially not the e-vet.

Re: immediate advice needed!! - 10/24/10 05:24 AM

it looks really, really bad frown like dead tissue bad? A friend uploaded the picture for me http://www.belovedfreedom.com/iphone/tessa39.jpg

I have vitamin E but is that ok on raw open tissue? It would be vitamin E from a capsule

Re: immediate advice needed!! - 10/24/10 05:26 AM

no, i wouldn't put vitamin E on raw open tissue. frown
Posted By: Islandgsds

Re: immediate advice needed!! - 10/24/10 05:27 AM

If it's infected you could try some epsom salt in warm water, then dip a cloth and hold it gently to the sore. It will help to draw out and infection. Then I would apply a bit of neosporin sauve to it.
It's hard to say without seeing but I would leave it open to the air if Tessa would leave it alone, other then that I would wrap it lightly for the night.
I don't think this is anything that you need to see an evet about. It can most likely wait. Just keep it clean and call the vet on if it's still a problem.
Hope this helps. I'm not a vet but I have had to 'wing it' a few times when I'm up north in the bush.
Posted By: MaxaLisa

Re: immediate advice needed!! - 10/24/10 05:27 AM

Same questions as Ruth...infection? How deep and how open?

Eta: good advice from Sandra on the epsom salt!

Re: immediate advice needed!! - 10/24/10 05:28 AM

ok, yuck, that is disgusting. How deep do you think it is? It's hard to tell from the picture (because I could only look at it for a second).

Do you have betadine? If it were my dog I would do a hot compress and then apply betadine but I would also go to the vet because I would be really worried about a bone infection.

Re: immediate advice needed!! - 10/24/10 05:30 AM

Can you call the e-vet? The e-vets here will at least answer questions over the phone. Maybe you could explain your situation and see what they say.

It could wait until morning but then it's still the e-vet.

Does it smell bad?

Re: immediate advice needed!! - 10/24/10 05:31 AM

no infection, not sure on deep? The center area is kinda grey which scares me, I'm picturing needing debridment or something! The blood was soaked through thick cotton. And since tessa isn't yelping around the break, that makes me think any and all recentish yelps were for the sore not the break.

here is that picture link again
http://www.belovedfreedom.com/iphone/tessa39.jpg

Re: immediate advice needed!! - 10/24/10 05:38 AM

I can't add anything to the good advice already given. I would do the epsom cleanse/compress (if tolerated), followed by betadine.

Open would be better, or if you need to cover it, wonder if you can build up around it to give it some aire.

Re: immediate advice needed!! - 10/24/10 05:38 AM

it smells a little bad, but nothing strong. And I don't know if I'm just smelling the dirty gauze? I have betadine but it's in my freaking storage unit! Not going to explain here but basically couch surfing bumming off friends while trying to find a place to live. So if it's not in my car, it's in storage frown I'm really close to a walmart though.... I'm debating running there...

Re: immediate advice needed!! - 10/24/10 05:41 AM

hugging OH my! Poor Tessa
I didn't see the pic until now. I'd call the evet and ask them for the best advice, I wouldn't want to steer you wrong on this. But I am leaning toward what Ruth said about the compress. I wouldn't go too hot that would hurt.

Re: immediate advice needed!! - 10/24/10 05:42 AM

Spray bottle will be easier to apply. I kinda like peroxide to clean out the dead stuff on the initial cleanse, then the betadine for maintenance.

I wouldn't use any calenda creme on that - too deep, and you want to heal from inside out.

Re: immediate advice needed!! - 10/24/10 05:47 AM

do you think it could wait until monday with home treatment? I'm looking at how much money I have and thinking about er vet fees. Why always on a saturday?! She broke it on a saturday too. But I guess it was good luck getting it wet so that I found this!! Otherwise it would have been at least another week, maybe longer if after xrays they didn't think it was time to remove the cast.
Posted By: GrandJan

Re: immediate advice needed!! - 10/24/10 05:48 AM

Some sites from when I googled "Draw out Poison":

http://www.ehow.com/how_5923192_draw-out-poison-epsom-salts.html

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/herbal/msg0118074919257.html
Posted By: Braverhund

Re: immediate advice needed!! - 10/24/10 05:48 AM

I second the gentle warm betadine compresses. Wishing you good luck. Poor Miss Tessa! Wishing only the best outcome, and that this begins to heal and resolve sooner than you expect.

Re: immediate advice needed!! - 10/24/10 05:55 AM

I don't know about the e-vet, I think most of us would be freaked out enough to go. Having said that, when I was a kid, we had a cat that would come home with the deepest and ugliest wounds from fighting, that we administered to at home. My job was usually to hold the cat while Dad was cleaning out the wound. His nickname was scabhead for a reason, poor thing (btw, my folks never neutered him, he was outdoors, etc - not the way I would have a cat if I were making the decisions).

Re: immediate advice needed!! - 10/24/10 05:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Lin
do you think it could wait until monday with home treatment? I'm looking at how much money I have and thinking about er vet fees. Why always on a saturday?! She broke it on a saturday too. But I guess it was good luck getting it wet so that I found this!! Otherwise it would have been at least another week, maybe longer if after xrays they didn't think it was time to remove the cast.

The important thing is that you discovered it. Now you need to clean it out and disinfect it and keep her from bothering it. Go buy some betadine b/c that will seal the wound.

spray bottle is a good idea b/c that will help flush it. Use warm water though.

Re: immediate advice needed!! - 10/24/10 05:58 AM

Also Cleo and Basu both had some really nasty abscesses that I treated at home without incident. I think if you keep it clean and keep a very good eye on it and keep her away from it you can wait until Monday.
Posted By: GrandJan

Re: immediate advice needed!! - 10/24/10 06:03 AM

COMPLETELY NOVICE COMMENT, but our at-home remedy for any infection was to apply hot tea bags. According to my grandmother, it drew out the infection and soothed the pain.

Re: immediate advice needed!! - 10/24/10 06:04 AM

That's encouraging Ruth!
Posted By: kelso

Re: immediate advice needed!! - 10/24/10 06:17 AM

Originally Posted By: BowWowMeow
ok, yuck, that is disgusting. How deep do you think it is? It's hard to tell from the picture (because I could only look at it for a second).

Do you have betadine? If it were my dog I would do a hot compress and then apply betadine but I would also go to the vet because I would be really worried about a bone infection.

Poor Tessa frown I agree that osteomyelitis would be a concern. Is she acting different? Would try to get her in as soon as you can (tomorrow) and keep the area as clean as possible until then.

Re: immediate advice needed!! - 10/24/10 06:23 AM

Originally Posted By: GrandJan
COMPLETELY NOVICE COMMENT, but our at-home remedy for any infection was to apply hot tea bags. According to my grandmother, it drew out the infection and soothed the pain.

I use tea compresses a lot here.

Re: immediate advice needed!! - 10/24/10 06:46 AM

ok, it's been cleaned and lightly dressed. I didn't want it getting dirty or her licking it while I'm sleeping (uh, more like if I sleep?) I tried to make an air buffer with things above and below, but it's just not going to work on a hock. So two loose layers of gauze, secured with vetwrap above and below.. Going to try to wait until monday frown I really don't want to, but this summer has been horrible financially. My car broke down 4 times, and then Tessa breaking her leg! I'm having insurance issues and have to pay cash for a drs appt this week, my dad is putting my prescription meds on his credit card for me until it's straightened out and we get reimbursed. So if I take her to the er vet, then it's no drs appt for me and I need my heart medication refilled. So, some really tough times right now until I build my savings back up! But emergencies always happen at the worst times.

Re: immediate advice needed!! - 10/24/10 07:00 AM

I so understand the financial issues.

With luck, tomorrow it will look better crossedfingers

Arnica pellets will help with the tissue trauma, if you have any on hand. Hope you get some sleep!

Re: immediate advice needed!! - 10/24/10 07:06 AM

is the gauze sterile? did you get the betadine? b/c if you flush it with that then the wound will be protected.

and i second the arnica advice.

you should also check around the immediate area to be sure it's not hot.

Re: immediate advice needed!! - 10/24/10 07:29 AM

I just cleaned it with hydrogen peroxide for now, going to pick up betadine in the morning. There isn't any heat, but there is some swelling. I kind of assumed the gauze was sterile but when I checked the box it didn't say. The rolls are all individually packed in plastic so it still might be I think? I was in a hurry when I got the gauze, I didn't want the water to spread but I also didn't want to take anything off until I was ready to put it back together. I am not putting the hard splint part of her cast back on though with that sore.

Re: immediate advice needed!! - 10/24/10 08:15 AM

Sterile gauze is marked sterile but hopefully it won't make a difference for tonight.

I agree that the hard cast should not go back on. In fact I'm guessing the vet wouldn't want it back on until that wound heals. How long was she supposed to be in a hard cast?

Re: immediate advice needed!! - 10/24/10 08:31 AM

yes, the box is marked sterile. In rather large letters too lmao. But yea, it's been crazy and I knew I only checked briefly before.

she was supposed to get xrayed in another week, and depending on the xrays she could have gotten the cast off then.

no longer loosly wrapped frown I caught her licking the gauze. So I took it off and placed a thick pad of gauze over the spot, vetwrapped in place. I want that area to stay dry! And especially not be exposed to saliva. The first layer was already wet and it wasn't more than a minute before it clicked in my head that she was licking it.

Re: immediate advice needed!! - 10/24/10 09:20 AM

Everything happens on late Saturday or Sundays around here also. So I can completely understand where your coming from with that one.

If you keep an eye on it and it doesn't seem extra warm around then it might be that you got to it before an infection set in. Just make sure she keeps from pestering it and I can't see why you can't wait until Monday.

If you don't have any epsom salts I would recommend you get some. It's cheap and is good for so many things. I always use it in my initial clenseing and then I apply the bentadine. If there is any infection it helps to draw out the poison and it is soothing. I used to use peroxide but I had a vet tell me that it can harm the tissue and dry it out which will slow down the healing. The epsom salts help keep it hydrated.

In my emerg kit,that I have for the dogs include some of the following main things, hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, (skunk remedy) bentadine, neosporin sauve and drops and epsom salts. There are a few other things such as tweezers,toenail clipper (people kind) scissors, plus the gauze and vet wrap and what have you. Oh and my newest, crazy glue.

It's been more then one time that I've dug through the kit to patch one or the other up and we made it through just fine. For an example, Palla sliced open the pad on her foot ths summer. It was really deep and she had a big chunk of skin hanging. I soaked it then was able to remove the skin with a pair of those big toenail clippers for people (also in the kit) then I soaked it again and put some sauve on it and bandaged up her foot. She didn't care for that part and did what she could to keep it uncovered.
But by Monday it was looking ok, I phoned the vet, they said as long as there was no heat around it then I was doing ok.
We never did go in to the vet to have them look at that toe.

Please keep us informed at how your doing and I hope your NOT reading this now as it's 4:00 am and hopefully your getting some sleep.

Re: immediate advice needed!! - 10/24/10 09:24 AM

Two things just came to mind. One is it you have enough gause could you roll it up and circle it like a doughnut and put that around the wound before wraping it with the gaze? That might help to keep the gauze off of it.

The other thing I thought of, (and maybe I should have looked first.) But maybe we should make a sticky of what to put in a first aid kit for canines.
I'll have to start something up in the morning. That is if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Re: immediate advice needed!! - 10/24/10 09:43 AM

I'm still awake! And oh yea, I have all of that stuff in my 'kit'. I have so much stuff it takes up more than one storage container in the storage unit lmao. That's the problem, it all being too big for me to keep in my car!

I tried to make a buffer with 2 long mens socks. It made an itty bitty buffer, and then she bent her hock a centimeter and no more buffer lol. It's just not going to happen with a hock.
Posted By: bianca

Re: immediate advice needed!! - 10/24/10 10:28 AM

Sending lots of healing advice hugging Thank goodness she ran into the creek and you discovered it now.
Posted By: SLEACHY

Re: immediate advice needed!! - 10/24/10 01:20 PM

Egads, that looks ugly!
How is she doing today? How are YOU doing today? LOL
I understand your hesitation to rush her to an ER vet. Is there a possibility that your regular vet would see you for an emergency visit? I was chatting with a woman at a trial whose golden broke something (a toe, I think?) and the wound from the dressing was worse than the break. She said it took more time to heal that than the initial injury. I, too, fear bone infection.

Re: immediate advice needed!! - 10/24/10 01:28 PM

yea, bone infection is one of my huge concerns right now. I'm terrified of something that could force Tessa into retirement. Finding out she has some arthritis starting in her other rear leg already has me considering retiring her earlier than I'd hoped. She does mobility assistance, which is very physically demanding.

I've slept about an hour so far lol. Think I may run out for the betadine now and try to get some sleep after that. I'm sure my vet can get me in immediately on monday, there was no problem getting me in right away when she broke the leg. It's just the waiting until monday! I keep telling myself how it was almost another week to find this, so one more day should be ok... But that's not working yet! It doesn't seem to be infected though, no typical signs. I'm going to research pressure sores today..
Posted By: Kayos

Re: immediate advice needed!! - 10/24/10 01:40 PM

Gosh Lin just saw this! I hope Tessa is going to be okay. No advice just keeping paws crossed for you guys.
Posted By: middleofnowhere

Re: immediate advice needed!! - 10/24/10 02:05 PM

1. Call your regular vet
if that doesn't work
2. Call the evet

Re: immediate advice needed!! - 10/24/10 02:31 PM

I did try calling the evet, but I got the response I wad expecting. Can't give advice without seeing her, and to bring her in if I feel she needs to be seen.

edit: ok, I just heard back from my friend that I emailed. Her husband IS an evet, I sent her the photo. I'd ask if her husband would look at tessa as a favor or something, but I've actually never met him! He works long and odd shifts and I've gotten the impression from her he isn't a people person. Not really an animal person either, but is an excellent emergency vet and well known due to his skills in the science of it all.

Re: immediate advice needed!! - 10/24/10 04:35 PM

Maybe he could offer some advice from the picture. I sure hope this works out.
Ya, it's a good thing she ran into the water and you discovered it.

Re: immediate advice needed!! - 10/24/10 05:43 PM

I keep checking my email even though my phone notifies me when one comes in lol. When I sent the picture she was on her way to church. So she's probably still at church, or out to lunch after because it's lunch time.

Re: immediate advice needed!! - 10/24/10 06:13 PM

Just checking back to see if you heard anything. How is Tessa? Does it seem to be bothering her now that she has the big hard cast off and you've cleaned it?
Have you bathed it today? I would keep it clean and hydrated until you see a vet tomorrow.
At least that is what I would do if it was one of my guys. Hope you hear something soon.

Re: immediate advice needed!! - 10/24/10 10:39 PM

I've heard back some from my friend, and sent more pictures. She's asking her husband if its going to need debridement (I'm concerned about the greyish tissue in the center.) She sent me some articles and a link to her husbands website to an article on using honey or sugar for decubitus ulcers. I haven't had a chance to read much yet, haven't read his at all because its in hungarian lol. But she said it has a lot of pictures, and to call her and she will translate for me. His website is asking for a user log in and password so I emailed her and asked what I should do.

I went to my storage unit instead of walmart, so I could get access to all my supplies. I flushed it first with spray sterile saline, then blotted dry with sterile gauze. Then I really covered it in betadine (parts of my fingers are still yellow...) After that I put on some EMT gel ( http://emtgel.com/ ) and covered in more sterile gauze, followed by vetwrap. I also found somewhat of a sore on the inside of her hock, I noticed fur peeling off to expose some raw skin so I went ahead and removed ALL of the cotton. There was tape directly on the fur, so the tape pulled off all the fur and a layer of skin on that spot. Its not bad like the other one, just looks like it was skinned/scraped. I did the same to it though as I did the other wound.

I took pictures, but I need to be somewhere in 20 minutes so I'll have to upload and post them later. Oh, good news is the swelling that was around the ulcer last night was gone! So its definitely better already just by removing the pressure of the cast.

Warning, gross pictures - 10/25/10 12:53 AM

Ok, uploaded the photos. I'm going to go ahead and post the one from last night as a comparison to the new ones.

Last night
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e103/Lin_171/Tessa/Hock/CIMG0062.jpg

Today
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e103/Lin_171/Tessa/Hock/CIMG0070.jpg

I was pulling the cotton a little bit further away for flushing the ulcer, when I noticed this. So I went ahead and removed ALL the cotton (previously had only removed some from the toes which was wet, and the cotton over the ulcer)
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e103/Lin_171/Tessa/Hock/CIMG0066.jpg

This is showing the cotton I cut away, and the strip of tape that removed some of the skin along with fur...
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e103/Lin_171/Tessa/Hock/CIMG0067.jpg

And after I cleaned it, and put EMT gel on it so thats why it looks a little goopy.
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e103/Lin_171/Tessa/Hock/CIMG0069.jpg

Re: Warning, gross pictures - 10/25/10 01:01 AM

bumping these out of Active Topics....ouch! sick
Posted By: kelso

Re: Warning, gross pictures - 10/25/10 04:14 AM

frown How is Tessa?

Re: Warning, gross pictures - 10/25/10 04:42 AM

doing ok, I gave her some tramadol for pain.

her foot swelled up from only having her hock wrapped. So I undid the vetwrap and put some tape loosely to hold the gauze on. I just have to make sure she doesn't start licking it! Once the swelling goes away I will wrap the entire leg. Unless the vet appt comes before that happens!

Re: Warning, gross pictures - 10/25/10 05:34 AM

Sending healing thoughts and vibes for Tessa. Hoping that you can see your vet soon. Wishing only good things for Miss Tessa! crossedfingers crossedfingers crossedfingers

Re: Warning, gross pictures - 10/25/10 10:35 AM

Oh poor Tessa, that does look painful. Sending healing thoughts too and hoping you can get some sleep hugging

Re: Warning, gross pictures - 10/25/10 01:33 PM

Checking in to see how the patient is doing. Good luck getting in to see your vet today. hugging to Tessa and you both.

Re: Warning, gross pictures - 10/25/10 09:37 PM

at the vet now! Haven't been seen yet, waiting in a room.

Re: Warning, gross pictures - 10/25/10 09:54 PM

Good luck! Keep us posted...but no more yucky pictures please!!!!!!!!
Posted By: PositiveDog

Re: Warning, gross pictures - 10/25/10 09:55 PM

I hope everything is OK. That was a nasty wound and I think the cast was the culprit. Thank goodness it got wet.

Hope to here soon!

Re: Warning, gross pictures - 10/25/10 10:27 PM

Ok all done at the vet! First off, we xrayed the break. The spiral seems to be pretty healed, but the through and through isn't as healed as he would like. But he thinks thats because of the cast and not putting any weight on the leg, needing some pressure to signal for the bone growth.

The sore doesn't seem to be as bad as I thought. I was completely expecting it to be needed to be debrided. My friends husband wasn't able to say on that without seeing Tessa.

The grey tissue in the center IS dead tissue. But it doesn't need to be removed apparently? She is on Keflex twice a day and gets rechecked next week. The vet said to run water over the wound twice a day for a few minutes. When I asked about packing it with sugar or honey he said yes to do that so I will do that as well. I have honey on hand and I think that would be less messy actually, than individual sugar grains. (and I use splenda myself)

I have an appt for next monday.

Sorry about the photos! I probably should have made them links instead of embedded. Could a mod fix that for me? Just take the img tags out and the same url...

Re: Warning, gross pictures - 10/25/10 10:30 PM

Whew! Thank you for the update after the vet visit. I am relieved that things are looking so well, and that you have a gameplan for caring for Tessa with the honey and water rinses. Such a good girl, Miss Tessa!

Re: Warning, gross pictures - 10/25/10 10:33 PM

I was just kidding about the pictures. I'm working and didn't have time to add a little emoticon thingy.

I'm glad that the wound isn't as bad as it looked.

Re: Warning, gross pictures - 10/25/10 11:38 PM

...sorry about the photos! I probably should have made them links instead of embedded. Could a mod fix that for me? Just take the img tags out and the same url...

Done! Now folks don't need to be squeemish about checking in...I was!

Re: Warning, gross pictures - 10/25/10 11:47 PM

Originally Posted By: MaxaLisa
...sorry about the photos! I probably should have made them links instead of embedded. Could a mod fix that for me? Just take the img tags out and the same url...

Done! Now folks don't need to be squeemish about checking in...I was!

Thanks! I changed the title to a warning, but didn't even think and went with posting img codes on auto pilot hammer

I also frequently post the img codes into email or messagenger chats LOL I just highlight and copy that code from photobucket on reflex.

Re: Warning, gross pictures - 10/26/10 12:50 AM

I believe that you are supposed to use raw honey on wounds, so I looked it up.

Here is a good link:

http://www.avianweb.com/honey.html

Re: Warning, gross pictures - 10/26/10 02:09 AM

YEEEEIIIPEEEEE! happyboogie I am so happy that it isn't as bad as we all thought.
Sounds like an easy fix with the Keflex. goodluck
I'll be keeping a watch for updates. And I don't mind the pics at all. gsdsit
Posted By: Barb E

Re: Warning, gross pictures - 10/26/10 02:25 AM

Wowza, just read this whole thing.

Glad to hear it wasn't worse than it is - casts and animals are tough!

Re: Warning, gross pictures - 10/26/10 12:06 PM

Oh that's a relief that it isn't as bad as you feared. Sending lots of healing thoughts for a speedy and painless recovery.
Posted By: Natalie559

Re: Warning, gross pictures - 10/26/10 02:00 PM

I hope she's feeling better soon!

Re: Warning, gross pictures - 10/26/10 05:03 PM

How are you two doing today? Hope you got caught up on your sleep and Tessa is feeling less/no pain and is mending well.

Update on pressure ulcer - 10/28/10 06:36 PM

Sorry I didn't update sooner! Had my own medical emergency crazy

Its looking much better! She did take the gauze mostly off it the other day so I'm a bit worried about that, mostly because I haven't found the gauze yet and I hope she didn't swallow it!!! I'm putting the honey on, then one layer of gauze, then a few cotton balls to cushion the area and keep honey from soaking all the way through. So hopefully she doesn't take off the gauze again, since its not going to taste like honey. She did it yesterday afternoon, I did the cotton balls last night and she left it alone. But maybe that was also because I was with her.

For those that don't mind the gore I've got a new picture wink you can definitely see the area of necrotic tissue is getting smaller. The overall swelling of the hock is going down as well.
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e103/Lin_171/Tessa/Hock/CIMG0073.jpg

As far as the honey... The statements on that website seem to be rather fear mongering towards processed honey. I've heard the benefits of manuka honey, but as far as it compared to processed honey I'd rather read something more "clinical" to form an opinion. My friends husband the evet uses table sugar in his practice, and my vet said to use the honey I had already.

One of the main processes they have identified is hydrogen peroxide in the honey. Its at a level 1000 times less than 3% solution, and is antibacterial without being damaging to healthy tissues as 3% solution is.

Re: Update on pressure ulcer - 10/28/10 07:34 PM

Thanks for the update Lin. That is looking so much better. I've never heard of using honey before. I'll have to read up on it.

Re: Update on pressure ulcer - 11/02/10 02:03 AM

Saw the vet today! He said its looking great. Which is good, I was thinking it should have been more healed than it is. Another check in 2 weeks. I'll take a photo when I change the dressing later.

Re: Update on pressure ulcer - 11/02/10 11:16 AM

Yah that is good news!

Re: Update on pressure ulcer - 11/02/10 11:26 AM

So glad to hear she is doing better!

I don't actually worry about manuka (sp?) honey, but I do stick with raw honey - which, by the way is what I keep on hand, rather than the usual table honey. I don't know about fear mongering - I just believe the raw to be more beneficial as far as eating it as well - in particular if you get honey local to your area.

Of course, I don't eat white sugar either. lol

Whatever kind - as long as it helps that is wonderful!

Re: Update on pressure ulcer - 11/02/10 06:16 PM

by fear mongering I was referring to the botulism thing.

I don't really use honey for anything, the only reason I had it on hand was a yogurt recipe that called for a teaspoon of it. And I don't use sugar either.. I like natural and go with it as much as I can. But I use splenda lol. I'm hypoglycemic, and splenda doesn't give me any spikes and drops the way real sugar does. I pretty much only use it in my tea...

Re: Update on pressure ulcer - 11/03/10 02:17 AM

I'm really glad to hear that she is healing nicely smile
© 2018 GermanShepherdHome.net