GermanShepherdHome.net

Toozer's in the hospital

Posted By: SLEACHY

Toozer's in the hospital - 09/22/10 03:40 PM

This morning, I heard a racket in the living room...a weird scraping, sliding noise and the occasional thump and bang. This went on for 10-15 minutes and I thought one of the cats was playing vigorously with a toy. The noise eventually made it into the bedroom. Moaning and groaning, I reluctantly got up to see what the furry trouble makers were playing with. I turned on the light and found all the cats in bed with me! Tooz was lying half off her bed. When I talked to her, she wagged her tail at me and then I noticed her eyes. She was having bad nystagmus and she struggled to get up. I immediately got down on the floor and held her steady.

I scooped her up and rushed her about an hour south to a large specialty hospital. The entire ride down there, she pressed herself up against the side of the truck. I suffer from vertigo so I know how dizzy and nauseous she must have felt! By the time we got there, the nystagmus had subsided and she was able to get to her feet although still wobbly.

Last August, Toozer had an "episode" where my mother heard a crash and found her flailing around on the floor unable to get up. The neurologists examined her then and found nothing remarkable. The only thing she showed was tenderness around her lower back. The doctors who examined her said their best guess was that she herniated a disc and it popped back into place. I wondered though if that was the case because all 4 of her limbs were affected. We assumed the crash my mother heard was Tooz falling off the bed but we didn't know if she fell off the bed and then herniated the disc or she herniated the disc and then fell of the bed. Now, I tend to believe she had an episode of nystagmus that made her fall off the bed!

The hospital just called and said her blood work is normal except for slightly elevated cholesterol and her neuro exam unremarkable. The next step would be x-rays and MRI of her head.

My own doctors don't know why I am having vertigo. It's such a frustrating and debilitating ailment! I hope my Toozer has just an inner ear infection or something but it's not looking that easy. teary
Posted By: elisabeth

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/22/10 03:47 PM

OMG... Poor Toozer!

I hope she is okay and it ends up not being something serious!

I will keep her in my thoughts today!
Posted By: aubie

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/22/10 03:49 PM

Poor Tooz and you!! I hope everything goes well and Tooz gets to come home soon...and take care of yourself too! hugging
Posted By: Kayos

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/22/10 03:54 PM

Oh dear.... I am sorry about this! I hope it is something as easy as an inner ear infection for her. Please let us know.....
Posted By: DancingCavy

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/22/10 04:05 PM

Poor Tooz!!! Wishing you guys the best and hoping you can find an answer to what's plaguing sweet Tooz!
Posted By: BowWowMeow

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/22/10 04:06 PM

That is just awful! I hope you are able to figure out what's going on and treat it.
Posted By: MaxaLisa

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/22/10 04:08 PM

Make sure that you get a copy of all the bloodwork. I'm sure they did this, but specifically ask if they checked her thyroid - that often accompanies high cholesterol, and can cause neuro problems. If you have tick stuff around, that could do this too, including cause thyroid dysfunction.

I so hope this isn't a. Mystery illness and they can figure out what's going on hugging
Posted By: GSDBESTK9

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/22/10 04:25 PM

I'm so sorry to hear this, I hope she is going to be ok. Please keep us posted. frown
Posted By: JeanKBBMMMAAN

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/22/10 04:46 PM

I wonder if it's vestibular disease? http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_vestibular_disease.html

Geeeeeeeeeeeez this is scary though - I hope she's okay. Sorry about your vertigo as well.
Posted By: Braverhund

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/22/10 04:47 PM

Grimmi and I are sending positive healing thoughts for your sweet Tooz to improve. May the vets isolate the problem and find a solution and treatment plan that you can feel good about. I'm sorry to hear that you also suffer from some vertigo. Wishing you wellness, as well as Tooz. Please keep us updated on Miss Tooz!

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/22/10 04:56 PM

I was wondering that too Jean,
Posted By: proudshepmom

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/22/10 05:05 PM

Get well soon Toozer! Thinking good thoughts for you guys hugging
Posted By: AngelJ

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/22/10 07:00 PM

I hope that Toozer is better and that it is nothing serious.
Sending good thoughts to both of you hugging
Posted By: Lexi

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/22/10 07:09 PM

I'm really sorry to read this. frown I hope that Toozer improves and is back home with you soon. Thinking of you both! hugging

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/22/10 07:55 PM

Oh yes--vestibular disease! I was trying to think of that but my brain wasn't working this morning. You would think a vet hospital would figure that one out though...

Any updates????
Posted By: bianca

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/22/10 10:23 PM

Originally Posted By: BowWowMeow
Oh yes--vestibular disease! I was trying to think of that but my brain wasn't working this morning. You would think a vet hospital would figure that one out though...

Any updates????

I didn't know that is what it is called but I was wondering if it could be something along the lines of that as my mum had that.

I am sending positive healing thoughts to Toozer hugging
Posted By: PositiveDog

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/22/10 10:29 PM

I am so sorry - I hope they can help Toozer soon. hugging

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/22/10 10:31 PM

Checking in and looking for an update crossedfingers
Posted By: GSDTrain

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/22/10 11:16 PM

poor Tooz.

sending postive thoughts
Posted By: Wisc.Tiger_Val

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/22/10 11:28 PM

Sending healing thoughts to Tooz and hug to you

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/22/10 11:39 PM

Elisabeth, Tiffany, Kathy, Jamie, Ruth, Carolina, Lisa, Jean, Patti, Sara, Angel, Cheryl, Bianca, Bonnie, Ashley, and Val... hugging Thank you guys so much for all the support, well wishes, and good vibes. I spoke with the neurologist a few minutes ago. He said there is nothing remarkable about any of the tests and everything was "normal". They did x-rays of her chest and abdomen too and everything looked good. Both doctors said she is in fantastic condition for a 9.5 yr old dog.

Jean...thank you for the great link to vestibular disease! Glad we are on the right track with the MRI scheduled for first thing in the morning.

I ran the numbers on the tick borne illnesses earlier this year and nothing was active. We also did a free t4 and that came back within normal range. I called my regular vet today just to touch base and review the blood work. I really want to get to the bottom of this! There has been something off about Toozer for awhile and I cannot put my finger on it.

Toozer is stable and she probably doesn't mind being there at the hospital! When she was very young, I was an Animal Control Officer. Toozer went in and out of every veterinary hospital, animal holding facility, and shelter in the area so she is used to that environment not to mention all the dog shows she has been to. The ER vet was surprised that her heart rate wasn't even elevated this morning. My pooch is a pretty cool cucumber! wink

So, Tooz is doing fine. I, on the other hand, am having a hard time without her here! Ok, I will admit it...I sobbed like a child when I hung up the phone after the doctor told me that he wanted to keep her overnight! She rides around with me all day while I am working and every time I went back to the Jeep and she wasn't there, I had a small panic attack. I found myself holding doors for her even though she wasn't behind me. I think this is harder on me than it is on her! I'm pathetic, I know. raincloud

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/22/10 11:58 PM

After the MRI, do you have a consult right away to hear the results?

I can just imagine how difficult it is going back to your Jeep each time frown

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/23/10 12:07 AM

Yes, doctor told me to come down to clinic at 2pm so we can talk.

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/23/10 12:16 AM

crossedfingers

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/23/10 12:25 AM

Thanks Lisa.
This has not been a good year for us. I was in the hospital for 3 nights back in April after a nasty dog bite that got infected. My mother took care of Toozer then. Now Tooz is away and I think it's harder on the one who has to stay home!

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/23/10 12:34 AM

A Gazillion hugging from Grimm and me. I know how painful it is to be separated, and to worry if your loving, devoted dog will be home soon and well. Many positive healing thoughts are heading Toozer's way. You're not alone, we're all here with you, wishing for good news about Miss Tooz. May this be something more minor than you suspect, and her recovery be very uneventful and smooth! butterfly
Posted By: GrandJan

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/23/10 12:41 AM

Sending special prayers for Tooz and special hugs for you hugging It is always harder on the ones waiting at home. Sincere wishes that she will be home with you soon and all your questions answered.

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/23/10 12:57 AM

SLEACHY, you are not pathetic..... It just shows how much you love Tooz.

Healing vibes to Tooz. Sleachy, you get some rest, Tooz is fine where she is for the night. You need to get some rest.
Posted By: Sage's mom

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/23/10 01:00 AM

Hope all goes well with the MRI and the vets can figure out whats causing this with an easy fix! Keeping you and Toozer in my thoughtshugging
Posted By: Catu

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/23/10 01:17 AM

Best wishes for Toozer! I hope everything goes well, there is nothing worst than not to know what you are dealing with,
Posted By: Kayos

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/23/10 02:22 AM

Many hugging for you tonight. May Tooz be well.
Posted By: GraciesMommy

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/23/10 02:34 AM

OH NO!!!!!! Is she at Red Bank or Garden State??

hugging hugging hugging hugging

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/23/10 02:52 AM

Many hugs for you tonight. hugging
I always cry any time I've had to leave any of mine overnight.
Sending more positive thoughts that Toozer is better and will be back home tomorrow.
Posted By: GSDTrain

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/23/10 02:56 AM

hugging

crossedfingers

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/23/10 03:16 AM

Thanks guys. Everyone hug your GSDs for me tonight! It's garbage night here and I didn't have my Clown Around (anyone remember Clown Arounds ?!?!) here to play tag with while I dragged the cans to the curb.

Jen...Toozer is at Red Bank. frown
Posted By: JeanKBBMMMAAN

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/23/10 03:18 AM

I came on to check on Tooz and am hopeful for good information with the MRI.

I wish for every dog I foster to be adopted by someone as "pathetic" as you. I am sure she knows how you are feeling and is thinking "oh, mom, you're a silly but I appreciate it!"

Please take care.

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/23/10 05:30 AM

It's trash night here too and when Rafi saw me getting the bag out of the can he grabbed his pink ball and raced to the door and did the same for the recycling. Must have been channeling Toozer. smile

Keeping all fingers and paws crossed here for Tooz and hope the night isn't too long for you. hugging

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/23/10 09:58 AM

You are so NOT pathetic!!!!! I think all this shows is how much you care and love your Tooz! I panicked when I had to leave Moo for 2 nights...and that was only at the breeders!!!!

Sending you some calming peaceful thoughts and for Tooz a great big hugging keeping our paws and finger's crossed for good news hugging

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/23/10 02:23 PM

Thinking of you guys this morning. More posititve thougths on the way. hugging

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/23/10 02:42 PM

I did manage to sleep last night and I sprang out of bed this morning like a kid on Christmas day! I can't wait to go get my girl. Even if the results are bad, I just want her HOME. Are we there yet??? crazy
Posted By: aubie

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/23/10 03:22 PM

Awwww! What a happy reunion it will be!! happyboogie

You're not pathetic! Seriously, I'd probably be camping out there or trying to find a way to break in just so I could spend the night next to my pup! But I think we're all that kinds of crazy...in a good way! grin

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/23/10 03:41 PM

I am glad you got some sleep. That is important that you don't run yourself down with worry because Tooz will know. Let us know what the findings are.

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/23/10 04:44 PM

More positive, healing thoughts and vibes being sent for Tooz. I'm glad that you were able to catch some zzz's. Soon Miss Toozer will be home and warming you with her sweetness. Continued good thoughts and vibes being sent for a definitive diagnosis that's not worrysome, and a very smooth recovery for Tooz!

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/23/10 04:45 PM

Thinking only positive thoughts! So glad your girl will be. Home soon hugging

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/23/10 04:52 PM

hugging Have a safe drive down the Parkway. Can't wait to hear about the reunion. Your girl is going to be thrilled to see you. Now let's plan that NJ play date - I am off EVERY Saturday in October happyboogie

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/23/10 11:04 PM

Sorry if I am a bit off with the time difference, but any news yet?

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/24/10 12:19 AM

Toozer's home! happyboogie

The MRI showed nothing other than Tooz has a "perfect brain". Those are the neurologists words not mine! laugh

I am thrilled with those results. At least we know what it's not. It's not a brain lesion, tumor, inner ear infection/problem, or a clot. On the other hand, I still have no answers. The doctor mentioned sending out blood to rule out infectious disease and I think I will run the tick panels again. This time, I will make sure Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever is included.

The ER doctor who admitted Tooz yesterday called me from home today on her day off. She wanted to touch base and give me the results of the urinalysis and fecal exam. Both were negative so the funky orange poo isn't Giardia. But that's a topic for another thread! smile

Thank you guys so much for all of the support! I cannot tell you what it means to have such kind words and understanding from people who only know me by my typing. hugging

One of the techs took me into a exam room and I heard someone behind me say, "I always feel sorry for the people who get called into a room." Somehow, I managed to hold it together, not make assumptions, and hold back the tears. The neurologist breezed into the room with a huge smile on his face and I could finally exhale! He said he did 6 MRIs today and 5 of them were bad news. The folks in the next room had a 4 yr old Aussie with a cancerous brain tumor. teary

Toozer was still drugged when they brought her out to me. She caught my scent before she saw me and I saw her ears go up as she pulled forward. With one front paw in the air, she pressed herself against my legs, whined, and threw tongue flicks at me as I bent over to hug her. We got a big "awwwwwww" from everyone nearby. wub

She is exhausted. Maybe she didn't sleep at all while she was there? I lifted her into the truck, she stuck her nose on her bed, inhaled deeply, turned around twice, and flopped down with a groan. I know she doesn't feel good but she is happy to be home.

"I don't feel so good."

Her eyes were rolled back in her head!

Thanks again! You guys made an awful night without my best friend a little easier! hugging

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/24/10 12:25 AM

Ohhhh look at the sweet pumpkin, resting and snuggled now! I am sure that the sleepy meds from the MRI and the entire experience has her exhausted for now. Swettie girl Tooz! I'm relieved that there's no tumor. A perfect brain indeed! smile Very kind of the ER vet to ring you on her day off from home and reassure you with the fecal and urinalysis. Hopefully, this was an incident that will never repeat itself. Sounds like all tests are coming up clear for her. Such a fantastic feeling to have your superstar Tooz home!! Please give her a huggle from me! smile

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/24/10 12:26 AM

Woozie Toozie:
"Can you fill my water bucket? I am so thirsty!"

Notice her back legs together. She doesn't normally stand that way. She is a little "wonky" in the rear. I hope that's because of the drugs.

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/24/10 12:49 AM

Poor sweet Tooz. Though I'm very glad to hear nothing catastrophic was discovered.

As for orange, wonky poo. . .I know Ris experiences orange, loose stool when she eats something that doesn't agree with her. Unconfirmed allergies/food intolerances in her case.
Posted By: PositiveDog

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/24/10 12:59 AM

Welcome home, Toozer! Get the rest of your sleep out and start feeling better, OK?
Posted By: Tara

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/24/10 01:10 AM

Yay! eyesleaf Great news that she's home again!
Posted By: Catu

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/24/10 01:23 AM

I am very happy for both of you!!

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/24/10 02:13 AM

I am soooooo glad she is home, AND no terrible news groovy

A couple things to consider - treat with doxycycline anyway, as false negatives can happen with tick tests and a trial of a couple weeks of doxy carry minimal risk considering the consequences of not treating.

Maybe this is spinal nerve stuff that a chiro can tune right up.

Whatever is going on, it's a happy day that she is home!!

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/24/10 02:23 AM

Lisa, I know you highly recommend chiro but last year, all of this weird neuro stuff started within a week of her first and only chiro adjustment. I can't help but be a little suspicious (ok, maybe downright scared!) of it now! eek

I just missed a call from my regular vet who was checking in. I will speak with her about doing doxy. A vet tech friend of mine was just talking to me today about false negatives on tick tests!

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/24/10 03:31 AM

Sleachy, I can only give Chiro. from the human patient experience. Some times things will actually hurt more after the first adjustment. Part of the reason is the nerves and muscles have gotten use to the bad position now it is correct the muscles are fighting the adjustment. So if the person is qualified you might want to try it again and tell them why you didn't come back sooner.

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/24/10 03:47 AM

I am thrilled happyboogie she's home and there was no bad news happyboogie I can understand your frustration with there being no "real" answers and your hesitation about continuing chiro. I have no advice only that you trust your "gut". You know Tooz the best and know what's best for the 2 of you. I hope she's feeling much better tomorrow!!!! hugging

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/24/10 04:01 AM

Yay! So glad she's home!!! Reading your update when you were reunited with your sweet baby Tooz...my eyes were watery for some reason...what a sweetie she is...she missed you too. wub I hope that they are able to figure something out soon, and that it's easily treated. hugging to you and Toozer!

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/24/10 04:14 AM

happyboogie so happy that she is home!
I'm sure she's happy to be home as well and will be feeling better after she sleeps off the meds.
I'm glad they didn't find anything serious.
happyboogie
Big hugs to you and your sweet girl hugging

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/24/10 05:50 AM

Originally Posted By: SLEACHY
Lisa, I know you highly recommend chiro but last year, all of this weird neuro stuff started within a week of her first and only chiro adjustment. I can't help but be a little suspicious (ok, maybe downright scared!) of it now! eek

I may remember that now, if you posted about it - I remember a dog on the board that had a weird reaction and the person unsure about going back. Did you post about that? Am I remembering Toozer? I have a memory of the thread, but not the dog.

....but what that tells me is that chiropractic should be able to resolve this. Either that practitioner, or a different one.

Like Jen said, you have to do what you are comfortable with. However, if chiro nudged the bones in a position that causes these episodes, it's probably the only thing that can nudge it back.

Is she standing better now in the hind end? Max stands like that, it's his low back frown I hope that Toozer was just standing that way because she was feeling wobbly.

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/24/10 12:05 PM

party I am so happy for you both that she has a perfect brain!!!!! smile Poor beautiful Tooz I hope the sedation wears off fast and she feels better in the morning hugging
Posted By: LukesMom

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/24/10 01:28 PM

I'm so glad she's home and hopefully will be feeling like herself by today.
Posted By: Natalie559

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/24/10 02:23 PM

Glad she's home smile

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/26/10 09:37 AM

How Toozer? Any updates? smile

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/27/10 12:51 AM

Originally Posted By: bianca
How Toozer? Any updates? smile

I was wondering the same thing? Just thinking about you guys hoping all is well.

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/27/10 02:15 AM

Toozer is doing well!! Thanks for thinking about us.

She was obnoxious yesterday while I was trying to rake acorns out of the yard so I took her to a trial today and she earned her APDT Level 1 and Veterans titles! Talk about a Comeback Kid! wub

Someone from the vet office called again today to check up on her. They are very thorough!

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/27/10 04:51 AM

Wouldn't it be cool if it were permanently resolved? That is what I am hoping for!

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/27/10 05:52 AM

Talk about a comeback kid-- no kidding! WOW! laugh I am so delighted that Tooz is doing better. I also like that the vet's office rang to check up on her. Supportive vets/staff is a good thing! YAY for Tooz! Heartfelt congratulations on her titles earned! laugh

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/27/10 05:58 AM

Awesome news!!! So glad she's doing so great! groovy

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/27/10 10:07 AM

Yah that is great news!!!! What a girl! smile My vet is the same , always calls to check up and it is so comforting.

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/27/10 04:14 PM

Congratulations. I sure do hope Tooz is on her way to recovery!

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/27/10 05:00 PM

Thank is a "WOW" thing. What a come back. Keep on truckin Tooz.
Posted By: Lin

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/27/10 06:37 PM

i haven't read the entire thread but wanted to post so that I don't forget to come back when I can better concentrate. This reminds me so much of when Logan was hospitalized in feb 2009.

So glad she is doing better!

Re: Toozer's in the hospital - 09/29/10 02:59 AM

Glad to hear that she is doing so well smile
© 2018 GermanShepherdHome.net