GermanShepherdHome.net

Mars sarcoma?

Posted By: Mary Jane

Mars sarcoma? - 09/15/17 07:15 PM

Mars' lump stopped contracting, so we pretty much decided to have our regular vet remove it. First we wanted to get a second opinion. We went to a branch of Cornell Vet school near us and got bad news. Based on the surgeon's experience and the physical characteristics of the lump (NOT the negative biopsy), she thinks it is likely to be a sarcoma but won't commit to what kind.

Next Thursday we're going back for a big CT scan and a surgical biopsy. I'll let you know what we learn.

Mary Jane
Posted By: Shilohsmom

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/15/17 11:29 PM

Oh no!!! I so hope they are wrong! My thoughts and prayers are with our sweet Mars and hoping for a better outcome. Please keep us posted.
Posted By: PositiveDog

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/15/17 11:31 PM

I'm so sorry.

Hopefully you will have better news after the scan.

Meantime, good thoughts to you. hugging
Posted By: middleofnowhere

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/16/17 12:20 AM

May next week bring better news.
Posted By: SeanRescueMom

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/16/17 01:48 AM

I will be thinking of Mars and you with fingers and paws crossed. crossedfingers paw Hoping for good results from the CT scan and surgical biopsy.
Posted By: Wisc.Tiger_Val

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/16/17 01:40 PM

Oh shoot not what we wanted to hear. But you went to the right place. Keeping you guts in my thoughts.

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/16/17 04:22 PM

Thanks guys for all your support.

It makes a lot of difference.

please stay tuned,

MJ
Posted By: Wolfie

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/16/17 08:29 PM

The news that no one wants to hear. My thoughts and prayers for you both.hugging

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/16/17 08:43 PM

We are here every step of the way with many thoughts and prayers for Mars and you.
Posted By: Braverhund

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/17/17 01:59 AM

Powerful good energy, healing thoughts and prayers all flowing Mars's way. May they get good clean margins. Keeping you and Mars at the top of my prayer list!!

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/17/17 06:01 PM

Just thinking of our dear sweet Mars this morning and hoping he's have a great day!
Posted By: MaxaLisa

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/17/17 10:10 PM

Well crumb, that's terrible news, i'm so sorry. I hope that they are wrong.

I take it they are going to try to remove the whole thing and then send out to biopsy?

I guess the immediate question is whether you want to give some supplements to help in case the disruption of the surgery disperses the cancer. My first thoughts were IP-6 and EGCG, but there are so many options out there, including good studies on mushrooms.
http://believebig.org/cancer_surgery.pdf
I am not sure, but IP-6 might affect platelets so not good before surgery, but dad always took his before surgery and was okay.

Will be keeping my fingers crossed that this is contained and hopefully fooled the experts.

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/18/17 12:22 PM

Originally Posted By: MaxaLisa
....I take it they are going to try to remove the whole thing and then send out to biopsy?

Well that's what I thought too, but no. The scan is in part to lay out the limits of the thing. If it involves too much muscle it might require amputation and that forces a big decision. Also, if the scan shows an amount of metastasis that we didn't discuss, then that changes the whole logic of surgery. Finally, the biopsy is supposed to be a more representative sample than the former negative one (??????)

Regarding supplements, I am too distracted to read much about them, so will wait for the big news. Mars has had occasional loose stool and his diet requires a lot of tinkering (big news-right).

Will be keeping my fingers crossed that this is contained and hopefully fooled the experts.

thanks a lot,
MJ

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/18/17 02:48 PM

Checking in on Mars and on you, keeping you both in my best good thoughts! crossedfingers gsdbeggin hugging
Posted By: Woodreb

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/18/17 10:37 PM

Good thoughts being sent to you and Mars from CT

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/19/17 12:18 AM

Thanks everyone from Mars and me.

MJ

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/20/17 09:44 AM

Hang in there MJ hugging

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/20/17 02:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Mary Jane
Next Thursday we're going back for a big CT scan and a surgical biopsy.

Special thoughts of Mars and you tomorrow, I'll be thinking of you. hugging
Posted By: Sylv

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/20/17 02:17 PM

Thinking of you and dear Mars hugging

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/20/17 04:09 PM

Just thinking of Mars and hoping for good news tomorrow. How long before you know the results? I think that's the worse part, the waiting impatient

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/20/17 08:06 PM

Praying for you and Mars. Wishing the best. hugging's

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/21/17 12:51 AM

I am not sure I could get along without you here. Thank you.

Regarding time of what we know: if the CT scan shows inoperable disseminated disease, I guess we stop there (not likely as far as I'm concerned). The surgeon said she would look at the scan before doing the biopsy, but depend upon a radiologist and pathologist for definitive results. Maybe it's not so bad. So only for the worst or the best will we know much tomorrow. Real results will probably take until Monday or Tuesday.

Tiny nice story: we were walking back from our local woods and saw a young girl carrying books who moved across the street. Then she tentatively approached us asking directions. Upon request, Mars sat. I told the girl the short way through the woods and the longer way on the street. After giving Mars a treat she asked me if she could take him with her. For me, without competing in obedience or dog sports, this is the best I can hope for, that a stranger finds Mars not frightening but protective.

With your good wishes, we'll be fine.

Mars and Mary Jane

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/21/17 02:50 AM

Well were here every step of the way with many, many thoughts and prayers for a good outcome.

hugging

grouphug

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/21/17 03:16 AM

crossedfingers

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/21/17 05:41 PM

Pretty scary but we'll see. The mass is very large and can't be removed with clean margins, even with amputation, because of its location. The only sign of spread the surgeon saw was an irregularity in a rib-all of that will be clear with the radiologist's report next week. Nearly all of the mass is a core of clotted blood but the surgeon said this was not uncommon and is not diagnostic of a particular kind of tumor.

We should get the exam results next week and we have an appointment with the oncologist next Thursday. Right now I just want to see my dog.

please stay tuned,

Mars and Mary Jane

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/21/17 05:55 PM

We're here awaiting every bit of news on Mars and you. hugging

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/21/17 09:55 PM

frown

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/22/17 01:40 AM

MJ, i'm so sorry for this news. Let me know if I can do anything to help you guys. I know that Mars is getting all the possible love and care.

Please keep us posted and let us all support you through this.

hugging

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/22/17 01:44 AM

I hope you and Mars are enjoying some serious snuggle/cuddle time right now hugging

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/22/17 03:13 AM

Let me know if I can do anything to help you guys. I

Make that two of us.

I'm thinking of you and your sweet boy, Mars. We are not only here to support you but listen, share and sympathize. Whatever you need just holler. hug

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/22/17 04:02 PM

I am checking on you and Mars. Sending some Cyber Hugs your way.

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/22/17 04:56 PM

I really count on all your support-thank you. The people here are knowledgeable, experienced, smart, and most of all kind. Great group regardless of what about GSD concerns you.

Yes of course, you folks can help us. Right now, what is your experience with tramadol? It was prescribed to deal with pain from his incision, but Mars is just stoned.

Once I have the biopsy and scan results, I may be back for clarification (yes, Lisa, this means you smile ).

thanks all,
MJ

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/22/17 06:07 PM

I took Tramadol for a while, the one side effect that I experienced was a HUGE rebound headache when the stuff wore off.

I am reading a lot more about Gabapentin is really good for nerve paid, which I think would be a choice for Mars.

You might want to cal your Vet and tell them that the Tramadol doesn't seem to be working and ask their opinion on Gabapentin.

Sending more cyber Hugs

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/22/17 07:11 PM

I believe that Tramadol has been proven to NOT be effective for pain relief in dogs. Something about how the chemicals break down in a dog. I remember when I read that stuff I threw out what I had and spoke to the Vet about it. Eli takes Galaplant for pain, maybe that will help???

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/22/17 08:08 PM

Thanks guys. I did ask the surgical nurse about an alternative to tramadol, because I faintly remember that it constipated Mars. She told me it was better than the alternatives for weak stomachs.

It probably worked in Mars, he limped coming home from the hospital and stopped a hour or so after the medicine. What concerns me is he is mostly sleeping-pretty lethargic. I don't know about constipation yet.

I really appreciate your help.

MJ

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/22/17 10:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Wisc.Tiger_Val
I took Tramadol for a while, the one side effect that I experienced was a HUGE rebound headache when the stuff wore off.

My daughter was on Tramadol for pain but had side effects too and had to ask the doctor for an alternative. It also made her feel extremely drowsy. Hope you find something else that works for Mars, sending special thoughts and hugs for your sweet boy. wub

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/22/17 10:05 PM

Personally, unless there are liver problems, for short term use I prefer nsaids because they are also anti-inflammatory, but there are more side effects with them. I use plain aspirin for jazz after hikes, but there is the gut and bleeding issues with that which aren't optimal in some circumstances. Jazz and max used tramadol and it seemed to help them and they seemed to handle it okay.

Here I like boswellia and/or zyflamend for pain and inflammation.

For nerve pain I prefer alpha lipoic acid or r-lipoic acid and would try that before gabapentin, but some like to try the pharmaceuticals first.

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/23/17 06:06 PM

I called the hospital explaining Mars' lethargy and dizziness; he was really weaving when trying to walk. They suggested reducing the Tramadol dose (that I already did) if his pain is manageable.

I think this is pain from the incision without affecting nerves-I just have to make the best judgment I can, with all the help I can get.

thanks everyone,
MJ

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/23/17 09:12 PM

Just leaving a note, to let you know I was here and I care about you and our dear sweet Mars.

hugging

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/23/17 09:18 PM

My experience with Max is that they used a much higher dosage than needed. Don't forget the arnica, in many cases it will even be more effective than the pain killers.

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/23/17 11:07 PM

Tramadol does wonders for Buddy. He is also on gabepentin and galliprant.

He needs it all for chronic issues and is not zonked on it.

Having said that, after surgery, tramadol is often given. Dogs generally don't react the same as humans on the drug. Some dogs just don't need such a high dose.

Just be careful not to let the pain break through as Mars gets more active in the next few days.

I agree with Lisa..add arnica if a little more is needed. Or even better, T-Relief which has arnica and other pain/nerve soothers.

Buddy's vet recommended that for times he needs a little extra.

I'm so sorry for all you're going through together. I hold you in my thoughts and hope for better days ahead.

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/24/17 05:47 PM

Mary Jane, you are so attentive, intuitive, and connected to dear Mars, that I just know you will find the right help for him to feel more at ease. My late hubby Ulrich said Tramadol helped some with pain, but made him sleepy--without truly being able to get deep sleep on it. I'm sure for dogs it may be different, and you're already gentling his dosage. It is good that there are a few other options for supportive pain meds. I'm glad you are in good communication with your vet. Please know the multitude of caring and support flowing out from our community to you and Mars is ongoing. Surely Mars will feel more comfortable soon. Lots of positive well-wishes being beamed out for Mars!

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/24/17 07:04 PM

Just thinking of you and hoping you are enjoying being together today.

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/26/17 12:53 AM

hugging

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/26/17 05:19 PM

Thank you for being here thanks

just waiting for biopsy and scan results (you're right, it's not casual at all)

please stay tuned,

MJ

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/26/17 05:33 PM

We're here for you!!! hugging Not going anywhere.

grouphug

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/27/17 02:15 AM

Waiting alongside you. hugging's

Re: Mars sarcoma? - 09/27/17 02:44 AM

Still right here. hugging

Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 09/27/17 03:38 PM

OK, my friends we have a subcutaneous hemangiosarcoma-no spread to chest or abdomen, not clear about lymph nodes. We see the oncologist tomorrow to figure out what to do.

I think we have a chance of beating this. Keep your fingers crossed for us.

More tomorrow,
MJ

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 09/27/17 04:50 PM

hugging

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 09/27/17 09:43 PM

Sending Cyber hugs. The news not excellent, but not terrible at this point either. grouphug

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 09/27/17 11:34 PM

OK, my friends we have a subcutaneous hemangiosarcoma-no spread to chest or abdomen, not clear about lymph nodes. We see the oncologist tomorrow to figure out what to do.

I think we have a chance of beating this. Keep your fingers crossed for us.

More tomorrow,
MJ

I'm so hoping we can beat this!!! Will be waiting for more news tomorrow hugging

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 09/28/17 12:33 AM

I think we have a chance of beating this. Keep your fingers crossed for us. More tomorrow,

Fingers, toes and paws crossed. crossedfingers paw Will be anxious to hear what the oncologist says tomorrow. Continuous good thoughts for Mars and you. hugging

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 09/28/17 04:22 AM

Go for it! Hope tomorrow brings good news.

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 09/28/17 12:41 PM

I'll be watching for the next update. Celebrating that there is no spread.

hugging

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 09/28/17 02:40 PM

Much better chance of beating this than the one in the spleen.

There is that mushroom product that has shown some effectiveness against hemangiosarcoma. However you guys and the oncologist decide you may also want to look into ways to support him.

Keep us posted on your steps, i'm glad there is hope!

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 09/28/17 08:10 PM

OK, not great but not as awful as possible. It's a huge tumor that invaded the muscle, making surgery unattractive. We are going with Adriamycin to shrink the thing, on general principles, and because I want a chance to remove some mass by surgery if it could help. A neck lymph node was suspicious so we got an aspirate for biopsy, metastasis there would be pretty grim. Otherwise, it doesn't look like the thing spread.

Overall, the oncologist gave him 4-6 months but I am not accepting that. I have been called Pollyanna.

I saw a few things about mushrooms, but I need to look further and digest what we're doing.

As might be expected, Mars is in a great mood. My job is to maintain that as long as I can.

thanks everyone, you're great,
MJ

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 09/28/17 08:22 PM

They gave me 6-8 months to live in June 2013, remember? Don't go by those numbers. My thoughts and prayers are with you both. I just hope and pray that you two are blessed with many more healthy years together. hugging

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 09/28/17 08:26 PM

Jean(with all the letters) had one of her longterm fosters on Low dose Pred. and got a much longer time than was predicted.
http://www.petmd.com/pet-medication/prednisone-prednisolone

Sending you and Mars some cyber hugs.

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 09/29/17 01:25 AM

As might be expected, Mars is in a great mood. My job is to maintain that as long as I can.

I like your thinking. wink Speeding good thoughts and prayers to the east coast ASAP. hug hugging hug hugging

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 09/29/17 05:15 PM

Overall, the oncologist gave him 4-6 months but I am not accepting that. I have been called Pollyanna.

you may get longer with conventional meds, the onc will know those well. You know what I will say here though..

My opinion is if you want to beat the odds, your best bet is to combine with alternatives. Lots of them have studies behind them. But you have to find the treatment you are comfortable with.

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 09/29/17 07:58 PM

My opinion is if you want to beat the odds, your best bet is to combine with alternatives. ...

Funny, the oncologist has the same opinion smile. She and I did not discuss it, but when I received Mars' discharge instructions she recommended I'm-yunnity. I had already read the little UPenn study about it. So why not?

Anyway, it's great that vets are finally catching up to Lisa.

Once again, thanks Lisa,

MJ

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 09/30/17 08:56 PM

Sooooooo happy to hear what your onc said.

This guy sells a product, but what i've read on his blog when he first started was always good. Some of the research might be dated because so much has developed in the last He used both conventional an alternative treatment - the book is an easy read if it looks like it interests you...
https://store.dogcancerblog.com/products/dog-cancer-survival-guide-ebook
He used to have a free ebook on diet on his site, not sure if it's still there. If not, you can message me for it if your interested in it.

I am interested in the program you put together with the onc. While in theory I am very anti-chemo, as a realist I know that it does kill cancer and is warranted in many cases. Interestingly enough, it seems very effective in infection induced issues. Anyway, chemo suppresses the immune system, can create chemo-resistant tumors, and can introduce new and unrelated cancers. The combining of the alternatives is an effort to mitigate those side effects. You know the success my dad had with stage IV colon cancer with chemo and the IP6. I firmly believe that had he taken even more care (that I advocated for and he turned down) and been more proactive, these wouldn't have so easily triggered his parkinson's.

So much of this is also genetics, but I know you know all this.

Wishing you guys the best! I am hopefully looking forward to good news...

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 10/03/17 12:13 AM

hugging

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 10/04/17 12:46 AM

Here's to combining conventional with complimentary! Mars has a great team here. grouphug

Can dogs take graviola (soursop? )
Another thought: Has anyone ever given dogs iscador mistletoe injections near site of origin? Waleda in USA does this for humans, though my first experience with this was in Germany. A family member is thriving and well today, no chemo, after the injections 15 years ago.
Whatever you decide to try, I'll be sending positive energy for your sweet boy to do well.

I'm so glad Mars is in a good mood. He's got some ch a great character. wub

MaryJane, you can count on continued support for your dear Mars and yourself here! grouphug

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 10/04/17 12:53 PM

Thanks everyone-this is such an knowledgeable group.

We got some good news-the lymph node aspirate was negative happyboogie-I think it was a node that drains Mars' shoulder.

MJ

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 10/04/17 03:36 PM

happyboogie That is some good news.

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 10/04/17 04:41 PM

That is good news. groovy

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 10/04/17 05:32 PM

W00t! groovy Good news is good news! thumbup

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 10/05/17 01:36 AM

happyboogie I am so glad to hear the good news!

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 10/05/17 01:55 AM

We got some good news-the lymph node aspirate was negative happyboogie.

Yippee! That is excellent news. cheers

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 10/05/17 02:59 AM

That's wonderful news!!!!!!! congrats

party

I'm just so happy for both of you. groovy

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 10/05/17 09:23 PM

Happy dance! party

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 10/07/17 09:17 PM

This is very good news, definitely a positive.

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 10/09/17 01:56 AM

Just sending some extra hugging hugging hugging

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 10/09/17 02:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Braverhund
Just sending some extra hugging hugging hugging

And a few more - hug hug hug

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 10/10/17 06:55 PM

Those good wishes and hugs work wonders-thank you all smile.

Mars has another session of chemotherapy Thursday. Right now, his mood is just amazing. My only method is retain some of that mood after treatment is to offer him homemade chicken soup while he fights the nausea (he also gets cerenia).

MJ

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 10/10/17 07:00 PM

I'm so very thankful to hear he is doing so well. Your such a good Mom and I'm sure he's loving that homemade soup.

Hugs, hugging

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 10/11/17 12:23 AM

Cerenia is good. You are a great mom for making him chicken soup.

Sending you guys more HUGS. grouphug

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 10/12/17 02:28 AM

Just checking to see how our sweet Mars is doing?

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 10/12/17 12:28 PM

Chicken soup for the soul, so beneficial. thumbup Sending lots and lots of hugs. grouphug

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 10/13/17 05:31 PM

Ginger is good, and maybe sometimes baking soda.

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 10/14/17 01:38 PM

You all are a real lifeline (along with Mr Mars). Thank you thanks.

Lisa, how do you give ginger? I can mince some fresh, but it's kind of strong.

MJ

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 10/14/17 08:46 PM

I have used the Nature's Way capsules for both Max and Jazz. I had Max trained to take capsules capped in yogurt and he would just swallow them. For jazz I have to jar her mouth open with a thumb through her teeth and place the yogurt dipped capsule at the back of her mouth.

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 10/14/17 08:49 PM

I should add that I thought it helped Max (used a full capsule for him) and it was a life saver for jazz's IBD.

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 10/14/17 08:50 PM

L-glutamine is also often used for the gut in chemo patients.

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 10/14/17 09:21 PM

I'Ll also just through this out there...

In adenosarcomas, IP-6 makes cancer cells more susceptible to chemo which is why it is such a great adjunct to chemo. I do not know about hemangio. Since hemangio seems to be more of a dog thing than people thing, some things are not studied as well.

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 10/15/17 10:38 PM

I have used the Nature's Way capsules for both Max and Jazz. I had Max trained to take capsules capped in yogurt

Funny, we give Mars a lot of pills in yoghurt smile

Right this minute, he's eating well and acting great. I'll keep the ginger in reserve for the next chemo.

Always, thanks Lisa,

MJ

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 10/23/17 02:01 AM

crossedfingers that he continues not to need it!

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 10/23/17 07:38 PM

A happy Mars is a good thing. thumbup

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 10/25/17 10:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Wisc.Tiger_Val
A happy Mars is a good thing. thumbup

So true!

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 10/26/17 01:34 PM

Thanks everyone-your support is a real lifeline.

Mars is great (in my humble opinion). Whether it's the chemotherapy or mushroom extract or both, from the outside his lump is 10 times smaller than at its biggest. Put a different way-it's 90% gone (from the outside).

His next treatment is Monday. Please stay tuned,
MJ

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 10/26/17 11:18 PM

Sending good thoughts and prayers from CT

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 10/27/17 01:46 AM

Will continue to keep sweet Mars in my thoughts and mom too. wink

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 10/27/17 02:12 AM

Sending many special thoughts and prayers for Mars on Monday. Please keep us posted as time allows.

grouphug

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 10/27/17 08:47 AM

Thanks everyone-your support is a real lifeline.

Mars is great (in my humble opinion). Whether it's the chemotherapy or mushroom extract or both, from the outside his lump is 10 times smaller than at its biggest. Put a different way-it's 90% gone (from the outside).

MJ

It's probably a combination of things! Glad it's working! The important thing also, when chemo is decreased or stopped, to not let up on the alternatives, they should stay for quite awhile longer.

So happy to hear this news!
Posted By: BowWowMeow

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 10/28/17 06:19 AM

Hey MJ -- It's been a very long time since I've posted on this forum but for some reason I decided to pop on here tonight. I was very alarmed to see this topic header but so glad to see that Mars is holding his own. Sending love and light from Buffalo. Ruth, Rafi, Gio & Varda

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 12/21/17 04:53 PM

Mars had his last Adriamycin today. So far, so good. The next step is not so clear-but we favor metronomic treatment. It's an odd expression for a step down for a chemotherapy drug (probably cyclophosphamide plus an NSAID) but at a low dose given daily. It is much easier on all the systems and seems to work in some cancers after you stop the poisoning.

.... The important thing also, when chemo is decreased or stopped, to not let up on the alternatives.....

No way will we stop the magic mushroom extract. Mars' mood is basically fabulous and he is full of energy and that is not likely to be from Adriamycin.

Anyway, he is (today) happy, so we're happy.

MJ

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 12/21/17 05:29 PM

I am glad Mars is doing so well. That is a great Christmas gift to all of us.

Thank you so much for updating us.

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 12/21/17 05:35 PM

Mars is in wonderful hands with you, Mary Jane. I’m glad you have a treatment plan you can feel good about. Count on continuing positive thoughts for wellness being beamed out for your dear Mars. grouphug

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 12/21/17 08:11 PM

I'm so glad to hear Mars is doing so well. You both remain in my thoughts and prayers.

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 12/21/17 10:45 PM

Mars' mood is basically fabulous and he is full of energy and that is not likely to be from Adriamycin. Anyway, he is (today) happy, so we're happy.

Happy is definitely good! Glad to hear Mars is full of "vim and vigor." thumbup Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 12/22/17 01:17 AM

Yes, good to hear that Mars is doing well.

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 12/23/17 03:43 AM

I have been thinking of you guys. So glad to hear how well he is feeling! I am so hoping it continues. Yay!

Is this what you are using?
http://www.imyunityfordogs.com/

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 12/23/17 03:08 PM

Thanks for all your very kind thoughts, we really appreciate every post.

Yes, Lisa he's taking ImYunity. It's pretty expensive for a big dog-but there is nothing more valuable than health.

I am not sure of the next step so I just try to enjoy today.

MJ

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 12/24/17 05:00 AM

I'm glad he's feeling happy. That disease is nasty.

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 12/24/17 07:16 PM

Yes, Lisa he's taking ImYunity. It's pretty expensive for a big dog-but there is nothing more valuable than health.

MJ

I know its hard when we have to give our big dogs meds.... they always require so much more meds which costs more, but am so thankful Mars is with you.

All we can ever do is cherish the moment. My thoughts and prayers remain with you both as I hope you have the best holiday ever!! hugging

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 12/25/17 02:45 AM

MJ

I'm just happy to hear how well Mars is doing with whatever mixture you all have him on smile

I guess one day at a time is all you can do, and hope it turns into weeks, months, years... we take what we can get with this beast of a disease hugging

Re: Mars Hemangiosarcoma - 12/25/17 07:03 PM

Hi Mary Jane and Mars, Grimmi and I are checking in again to let you know that we are keeping Mars and you warmly in our good thoughts. May the treatment protocols give you and Mars many, many more beautiful experiences together, for a very long time, and may the time feel richly extended. gsdsit hugging

Mars radiation - 02/15/18 03:56 PM

Yes, my beautiful boy has gone through poison and now burn (the surgeon didn't want to do slash) to control his hemangiosarcoma. The last drug, carboplatin, let the tumor grow. The logic is the tumor itself is "bulky" and 3 weeks ago there were no detectable metastases, so let's try to burn out some cells from the main mass.

You have to understand, Mars is almost himself. He loves his walks and eats pretty well. He only rarely plays with me, but I have hopes.

It makes some difference to David and me, but the radiation oncologist really likes Mars, pets him, looks in his eyes, and is charmed by his talking. He is not a patient but a real dog to her.

Anyway, please keep those positive thoughts beaming out-they make a HUGE difference.

Mary Jane

Re: Mars radiation - 02/15/18 04:01 PM

You better believe that my thoughts and prayers are with our sweet Mars and his wonderful family. I'll write more later but am sending my love for now. hugging

Re: Mars radiation - 02/15/18 04:15 PM

...You have to understand, Mars is almost himself. He loves his walks and eats pretty well...

I know you are putting Mars front and center in your decisions and with him doing so well with treatment, that has to be a relief for you.

I am sending loads of good thoughts and cancer killing wishes!

Btw, Max would never play with me either...

Re: Mars radiation - 02/15/18 04:43 PM

All my good thoughts and prayers are being sent forward to Mars. The radiation oncologist obviously knows what a special dog he truly is. hugging

Re: Mars radiation - 02/15/18 05:00 PM

Sending healing and fighting vibes to help Mars.

Re: Mars radiation - 02/15/18 05:49 PM

Good job, Mars. You and your family are doing a great job.

Re: Mars radiation - 02/17/18 10:09 PM

Guys-I think it's working-you are powerful!

Mars was full of beans Friday. He enjoyed more than 2 hours of walks and [big drum roll] played ball.

Who knows what influences what. I am just thrilled to my soul that he had a really good day.

thank you for everything,
MJ

Re: Mars radiation - 02/17/18 10:48 PM

Our prayers are being answered smile I'm so happy for you all. I know what its like when we see our pups playing ball again and how that warms our hearts. I'm so happy Mars is enjoying both walks and playing ball!!!! fetch He is one amazing pup and you are such a wonderful Mom!!!

New oncologist-new approach - 03/10/18 03:42 PM

Mars did really well on radiation and the tumor shrank, but radiation is limited. We decided to visit another oncologist from an animal cancer center. His attitude was quite different and welcome. He laid out several possibilities and we will try two: rapamycin and another protein kinase inhibitor (with a terrible name I can't remember) that work together on some sarcomas. These are given orally at home.

Also, a real shot in the dark, they will use Mars' biopsy from September to evaluate tumor gene expression and tumor DNA sequence to look for over-expression or mutation of oncogenes or actually any target of chemotherapy. The idea is if you can find a reasonable target in your dog for which a therapy exists, then you try that therapy.

We'll see. Meanwhile Mars is just great-happy, active, full of life crossedfingers crossedfingers crossedfingers crossedfingers crossedfingers crossedfingers crossedfingers.

MJ

Re: New oncologist-new approach - 03/10/18 07:24 PM

Mars is such a lucky dog and such a sweetheart. I so hope this new doctor and treatment plan goes really well. I'm sending lots and lots of healing prayers his way. It sounds like he's enjoying his life to the fullest which has to warm your heart.

Re: New oncologist-new approach - 03/10/18 11:50 PM

I think I remember reading a bit about the protein kinase inhibitors after we lost Aodhán. It sounded like a pretty promising avenue for treatments.
I hope Mars does well on the new treatment plan.

Re: New oncologist-new approach - 03/11/18 02:55 AM

A second opinion never hurts especially when, as you said, they have a different attitude and approach. Glad Mars will be able to take the meds. orally at home. thumbup

Re: New oncologist-new approach - 03/11/18 05:59 PM

Hooray for Mars doing so well! May exploring a second opinion bring even sunnier days for you and dear Mars. Grimmi and I continue to send wellness vibes! hugging

Re: New oncologist-new approach - 03/20/18 09:19 PM

Mars did really well on radiation and the tumor shrank, but radiation is limited. We decided to visit another oncologist from an animal cancer center. His attitude was quite different and welcome. He laid out several possibilities and we will try two: rapamycin and another protein kinase inhibitor (with a terrible name I can't remember) that work together on some sarcomas. These are given orally at home.

Also, a real shot in the dark, they will use Mars' biopsy from September to evaluate tumor gene expression and tumor DNA sequence to look for over-expression or mutation of oncogenes or actually any target of chemotherapy. The idea is if you can find a reasonable target in your dog for which a therapy exists, then you try that therapy.

We'll see. Meanwhile Mars is just great-happy, active, full of life crossedfingers crossedfingers crossedfingers crossedfingers crossedfingers crossedfingers crossedfingers.

MJ

Oh wow, glad you got a second opinion, that's great.

I think it's good to look at the genetics, since that affects so much. Dad was an ABCB1 1/2 mutant (I am double), and that may have allowed his chemo agents to be more effective.

Let us know what you find out!

Mars metastases - 03/26/18 03:27 PM

Friday was a tough day. Mars went to the groomer's for the first time since August and had a seizure. We took him right away to his regular vet who did a lot of blood work and a chest Xray. He has lung metastases.

Today, the new oncologist told me that Mars tumor over-expresses three oncogenes, two of which are targeted by his current drugs-so they're worth continuing. We still don't have information about whether he has mutations that might also be targeted by drugs but will find out in a week or so.

Mars regular vet thinks that the seizure is independent of the cancer and may be stress from all the dogs and barking. He did not urinate or defecate but collapsed and trembled. That is taking a back seat right now. Meanwhile, Saturday he wanted to play and his mood was great but Sunday not so good.

Your good wishes keep us all going, thank you.

Mary Jane

Re: Mars metastases - 03/26/18 03:49 PM

hugging May there continue to be good days.

Re: Mars metastases - 03/26/18 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Woodreb
hugging May there continue to be good days.

Amen to that! As always, continued good thoughts and healing vibes every day 24/7 for your dear Mars. hugging

Re: Mars metastases - 03/26/18 04:53 PM

More good wishes and prayers are sent your way in hopes of more good days than rough ones. Your doing an amazing job at keeping that little guy going. I know its not easy but I also know you wouldn't trade this time for anything hugging

So sorry to hear of the seizure. I know how scary that can be for everyone. When Shoshi lost her bowels and urine when she seized I knew the time had come. I'm so glad that's not the case with Mars.

Sending love your way!!!

Re: Mars metastases - 03/26/18 07:27 PM

I'm rooting for more "Saturday" experiences for you and Mars. Went through a series of seizures with my big black beefy dog (not a barker sister) back in 2013. They were pretty extreme and awful. May Mars' recovery be soon and uncomplicated and relatively pain free, too.

Re: Mars metastases - 03/27/18 08:17 PM

Each one of you is a separate jewel. I'm so glad that you're here. Mars perks right up for walks and then slows right down at home.

MJ

Re: Mars metastases - 03/28/18 12:00 AM

Cherish the good days. Sending more vibes for more good days.

He perks up because he enjoys the walks and gets a surge of Adrenalin which is a very powerful thing in animals and humans.

Re: Mars metastases - 03/28/18 12:34 AM

Mars perks right up for walks and then slows right down at home.

MJ

Funny, I do the same thing smile

Re: Mars metastases - 03/30/18 12:08 AM

hugging
Posted By: Islandgsds

Re: Mars metastases - 03/30/18 02:26 PM

I just got caught up to date reading this. I'm glad Mars is doing well on his treatment. My thoughts and prayers are with you. hugging

Re: Mars metastases - 03/30/18 03:33 PM

If he's never had a seizure before, seems like it's either from the cancer or the meds?

I'm very sorry that this next phase has been reached. I hope there so many more good days compared to the bad ones. Very interesting about the genetics of the cancer.

hugging hang in there you guys.

Mars is gone - 03/30/18 08:33 PM

Mars collapsed yesterday, blood pressure plummeted. Today, he failed some neurological reflexes making his regular vet suspect brain metastases. (He showed those reflexes when David and I saw him, but he couldn't do more than raise his beautiful head).

We put him to sleep. Rest in peace, my prince.

Mary Jane

Re: Mars is gone - 03/30/18 08:37 PM

teary All you did, you did for him. You gave him every chance possible. No doubt he lived so long as he didn't want to leave his Mom and Pops. I am so very sorry.

Re: Mars is gone - 03/30/18 08:38 PM

Mary Jane, I am so sorry for your loss of Mars. I am sure you are so devastated. Sending Hugs.

Re: Mars is gone - 03/30/18 09:22 PM

Oh no, I'm so very sorry Mary Jane hugging

You did a great job buying extra time with him, but this is such a horrible cancer.

rip Mars, you were so loved.

Re: Mars is gone - 03/30/18 11:40 PM

I'm so sorry to hear that Mars is gone.
I agree with Lisa - this particular cancer is horrible.
hugging rip Mars
Posted By: Sylv

Re: Mars is gone - 03/31/18 12:43 AM

I am so sorry! imsorry
Posted By: Islandgsds

Re: Mars is gone - 03/31/18 01:04 AM

My heart goes your to you and your family. Mars rest in peace, you will be missed. gsdhalo
Posted By: Kris

Re: Mars is gone - 03/31/18 02:01 AM

Oh no... Mary Jane, I am so sorry for your loss.

“There is a cycle of love and death that shapes the lives of those who choose to travel in the company of animals. It is a cycle unlike any other. To those who have never lived through its turnings and walked its rocky path, our willingness to give our hearts with full knowledge that they will be broken seems incomprehensible. Only we know how small a price we pay for what we receive; our grief, no matter how powerful it may be, is an insufficient measure of the joy we have been given.” —Suzanne Clothier

My thoughts are with you...

Re: Mars is gone - 03/31/18 02:17 AM

I am so very sorry. It is so hard to do what is best when it breaks our hearts.

Fill your heart with memories.

Run free, Mars.

Re: Mars is gone - 03/31/18 03:29 AM

It's time like this that I think We need a flag!!! That way we could lower it to half staff when one of our pups passes. Doesn't have to be a flag, it could be any change to let everyone know we are all in a period of mourning.

Re: Mars is gone - 03/31/18 04:12 AM

It's never easy. The decision, the waiting or else the sudden death. I've never found it easy. I'm sorry Mars couldn't be with you for several more years but oh what a good life he had with you. May you find comfort in knowing that.

Re: Mars is gone - 03/31/18 01:51 PM

My sincere and heartfelt sympathies go out to you. I was tearing up reading your post. frown Please know that everyone on the board is holding you in their thoughts and thinking fondly of Mars. hugging RIP sweet angel. angel

Re: Mars is gone - 03/31/18 02:40 PM

hugging

Re: Mars is gone - 03/31/18 04:53 PM

Thank you everyone. I cannot express how important your support is now.

Mary Jane

Re: Mars is gone - 04/02/18 02:00 AM

Oh Mary Jane, my deepest compassion on the loss of your sweet Mars. teary You were surely the best thing to ever happen to your wonderful boy. hugging
Posted By: Zisso

Re: Mars is gone - 04/02/18 02:05 AM

Just catching up and read about Mars. May he Rest in Peace and run Free.

I know how hard it is to lose a furbaby, but not after going through so much first. I am a loss for words, but tears stream down my face as I search for just the right thing to say.

Hold your memories tight and know he is pain free and running in the most lush green grass, and doing all of his favorite things up there, and please remember to take care of you!
Posted By: GraciesMommy

Re: Mars is gone - 04/25/18 02:34 AM

Deepest condolences frown
© 2018 GermanShepherdHome.net