GermanShepherdHome.net

Worried about Jarie (pictures included)

Posted By: TMarie

Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/19/12 05:54 PM

I am so sick with worry. Please tell me someone here has seen this before and it isn't as bad as what I am thinking it may be.

The first 3 photos are of the left teat and surrounding area. This was not there a week ago. The bottom 2 photos are of the right teat and surrounding area, armpit and chest. That appeared a couple weeks ago, but wasn't as bad. I was applying some cream and it cleared up really well. I just thought it was a bad case of her allergies and scratching it raw.

In the bottom photo you will see one of her lower teats in the photo and it is partly black too. I didn't think much of the black because her teats have been that color since she was 1 yr old. No redness around that one but wanted to include that in the photo for comparison. She will be 6 years old in a couple weeks. She was spayed at 2 yrs old.

She is going to the vet Saturday morning. Needless to say I am beyond worried, trying not to be. Any questions I need to ask, or anything I need to prepare myself for before Saturday? Anything that might need surgery isn't going to be a very good option. frown

Posted By: MaxaLisa

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/19/12 06:26 PM

I don't know anything about this stuff, but it does look scary, doesn't it?

I woke up worring about Jarie this morning, how weird is that?
Posted By: LauraHolder

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/19/12 06:27 PM

Have never seen anything like that before, but I want you to know that I'm sending positive energy your way. hugging
Posted By: Kayos

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/19/12 06:29 PM

Tammy I have not seen this before. Hoping it is simple case of mastitis and can be cleared up with a course of abx. Poor Jarie, poor Tammy. SHe really keeps you on your toes doesn't she? hugging
Posted By: Wisc.Tiger_Val

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/19/12 07:09 PM

I have never seen any thing like that. Sending good vibes for Jarie and strength and calming vibes for you Tammy. Jarie couldn't be in better hands.
Posted By: Mary Jane

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/19/12 07:12 PM

Tammy,

No knowledge here, just hopes for something simple and easy to treat for Jarie.

MJ
Posted By: BowWowMeow

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/19/12 07:25 PM

The red scratchy thing looks like it could be from her claws. Was she scratching the area?
Is it itchy for her?
The blackish skin looks like the beginning of a yeast infection. Basu had terrible skin allergies and his teats used to get a bit infected and nasty looking.

Do you have any of the Rejuva spray? What happens when you wash the area off?

I'm hoping it's just her skin allergies...
Posted By: Braverhund

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/19/12 07:27 PM

Tammy, I am worried because you are worried. hugging Aside from our fears, I do know that horses can get inflammation when a mare's nipples collect wax and she may have an infection, it clears on it's own, but then inflammation may persist in some cases. Just throwing that out there for the sake of hope. I don't know from the pics what it is. My best positive energies will be being beamed to Jarie now and on Saturday. Please let us know what the vet thinks!
Posted By: AgilePaws

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/19/12 08:02 PM

Tammy, I would guess it's a staph infection. MRSA is a possibility too, but sending good thoughts that it's staph that can be resolved with ABX. I highly doubt it's anything what would require surgery. hugging

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/19/12 08:32 PM

Ruth, yes, she scratches it. I know she cut it with her nails, also a very small cut in the bottom side of the actual teat:(

It doesn't wash off. I do use the Rejuva spray. It helps her not scratch as often. But it isn't going away.

I just found it odd that the same thing has now spread to the other teat.

Sandy, thank you. I was thinking yeast or staph infection too. I have no experience with either, but just very concerned with it being on and around her teats.

The one in the first 3 pics, wasn't all that noticeable, without pulling her hair away, but once I did, it actually looks worse then the other side.

Thanks everyone. I will update more on Saturday after the vet appt.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/19/12 08:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Kayos
Tammy I have not seen this before. Hoping it is simple case of mastitis and can be cleared up with a course of abx. Poor Jarie, poor Tammy. SHe really keeps you on your toes doesn't she? hugging

I thought only nursing moms can get Mastitis, is that not the case?

Yes, she always keeps me on my toes!! I think I would be lost if I didn't have her to worry about on a daily basis.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/19/12 08:38 PM

Originally Posted By: MaxaLisa

I woke up worring about Jarie this morning, how weird is that?

You felt my worries and fears no doubt!!!
Posted By: Good_Karma

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/19/12 09:00 PM

After just having gone through a ringworm scare with my kitty, that was my first thought. Hope it's something simple and easy to treat. hugging
Posted By: Islandgsds

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/19/12 10:46 PM

Strange, thinking I hope it's nothing serious and can be taken care of easily.
Jarie sure like to keep her Mom on her toes. gsdsit

From what I have googled it could be a mastisis from a waxy substance that they produce to keep their nipples from drying out. It says to bring it up at next appointment. (ya think?) Good thing you have a vet apt on Sat. only one more day away. hugging

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/19/12 11:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Islandgsds
Good thing you have a vet apt on Sat. only one more day away. hugging

I don't have an appt. for Saturday. I have a great vet. He doesn't take appts, only walk ins, so we just show up whenever we can. (isn't that great?)He is open 7 days a week too and handles his own emergencies, really makes it convenient for us. I would go tomorrow, but Ken will be in meetings all day, and I figured we should be safe to wait an extra day. Of course if I notice any changes before then, we will go.

Thanks for the hugs and good vibes everyone!
Posted By: DancingCavy

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/19/12 11:37 PM

No ideas but I hope it's something simple. Will be thinking of you and Jarie!

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/20/12 02:08 AM

Originally Posted By: TMarie
Originally Posted By: Kayos

I thought only nursing moms can get Mastitis, is that not the case?

Yes, she always keeps me on my toes!! I think I would be lost if I didn't have her to worry about on a daily basis.

Mastitis is simple "mammary infection". Can have many causes and anyone can get it but it is more common in nursing mothers. I had it a few years ago and I have not nursed anyone in 26 years.

I hope it is an easy fix no matter what it is. Looks like it bothers her.
Posted By: Kris

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/20/12 02:36 AM

Oh Tammy - geesh - it's always something isn't it... It looks awfully irritated so hoping it's something as simple as allergies. Keeping Jarie in my thoughts and prayers... hugging
Posted By: bianca

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/20/12 08:55 AM

Oh no frown Hoping that it is a simple cause and solution. Keeping both you and Jarie in my thoughts and prayers hugging
Posted By: arycrest

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/20/12 01:43 PM

hugging Hope it's nothing serious!
Posted By: Natalie559

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/20/12 07:39 PM

Wishing you 2 the best!

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/21/12 09:55 PM

We dropped Jarie off at the vet this morning for some tests, a biopsy and culture. Hopefully we will know more when we pick her up in a couple hours.

She was so scared when she had to leave us. We always worry about her, it's so heartbreaking to see her so afraid. Every time she goes to the vet she always has to stay. Despite her fear, she is always a good girl with them.

Will update when we know more.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/21/12 10:22 PM

crossedfingers
Posted By: PositiveDog

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/21/12 10:26 PM

I hope she is home soon and you find something easy to treat.

hugging
Posted By: LJsMom

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/21/12 10:53 PM

crossedfingers

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/21/12 11:14 PM

hugging pacing

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/21/12 11:18 PM

crossedfingers pacing
Posted By: GraciesMommy

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/22/12 02:10 AM

Originally Posted By: DancingCavy
No ideas but I hope it's something simple. Will be thinking of you and Jarie!

Ditto!!!

hugging

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/22/12 04:22 AM

Just checking in hoping for an update before I sign off for the the night.

I hope no news is good news.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/22/12 04:57 AM

Originally Posted By: PositiveDog
Just checking in hoping for an update before I sign off for the the night.

I hope no news is good news.

Same here! hug

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/22/12 06:32 AM

I hope everything is ok. All fingers, toes and paws crossed for Jarie! hugging

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/22/12 07:41 AM

Paws crossed here too hugging

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/22/12 12:21 PM

Just checking in...
Posted By: Islandgsds

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/22/12 12:48 PM

Checking in to see how Jarie is. gsdsit I hope she's ok.
The waiting must be killing you. impatient pacing hugging

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/22/12 01:13 PM

Jarie was one of the first things on my mind this morning. Hope you get good news today.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/22/12 03:42 PM

Thanks everyone! We got in late last night and had to give Jarie a bath, by the time we were all settled it was late so waited til morning to update.

We don't really know much at this time. They did a Histopathology test, skin cytology and Bacterial culture. The tests are going to two different labs, and he said it normally takes 10 days before I get the results.

In the meantime he put her on 500mg of Cephalexin 3x a day, and a shampoo I need to bathe her with every day until we go back next Saturday. He said we should have the bacteria culture back by then but not the histopathology report back.

She also has a bacteria infection in both ears.

Hoping the Cephalexin will help some until we get all the results back, and we know for sure what we are dealing with.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/22/12 04:42 PM

I was going to say Staph infection but I wasn't sure. What caused it is what you want to try to figure out.

I would also treat her ears with Zymox.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/22/12 04:53 PM

Thanks Val. I was treating her ears with Zymox and it wasn't helping. It has always helped in the past but for some reason they were just getting worse. He cleaned them really good and gave me Otomax. I used Otomax on Jake all the time, until it didn't work anymore then started with the Zymox. Never used it for Jarie, so I just have to see if this will clear it up or not.

I am really not going to know anything about the rash or the cause, until the reports come back. Just hoping she gets some relief until then.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/22/12 04:56 PM

Okay, hoping all comes back for infection.

Do you think the ears got worse after switching to the new food? Did you switch?

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/22/12 05:01 PM

Lisa, her ears have been getting really bad the past few weeks, even before the switch. She didn't do well on the California Natural Kangaroo, so I switched back to Evo Red Meat. She was on that before P&G bought them and she did excellent on that food. I gave in and switched her back to it, and she is doing wonderful on that again. So, I don't think it is the food. But the ears started getting bad at the same time the rash developed on her chest, if that means anything.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/22/12 06:15 PM

Maybe since they both started at the same time, that's a good sign that this is all infection. I hope that's it.

I sure hope that the EVO stays a good food for her.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/22/12 08:31 PM

I know it isn;t easy to bathe her daily, but this will be temporary. Hoping the reports come back soon, and a cause for the infections can be determined. Will Jarie be on some probiotics while she's on the cephlexin? If she gets the cephlexin at dinner, maybe at bedtime, several hours away from her cephlexin dose, she might have some probiotics? Sending Jarie positive thoughts for wellness and helpful, totally non-scary test results! crossedfingers crossedfingers crossedfingers

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/22/12 09:14 PM

So glad to hear back from you. The wait will be terrible but sounds thorough.

I second the probiotics given at a different time from her meds. Skye's refrigerated, powdered human kind also said to give between meals. I found sprinkling it on applesauce made Skye lap it right up.

crossedfingers Hoping everything comes back good and with specific treatment noted.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/23/12 01:12 AM

Yes she is getting probiotics. Hers are human kind in the capsule form. They say to give with meals, but her cephlexin I give 3x a day, with meals, so when should I give her probiotic? I normally only give her one capsule in the morning after her breakfast.

Bathing her daily isn't too bad, just that I have to do it in the evening, which makes for a long night.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/23/12 02:03 AM

I think the rule is 2 hours away from the antibiotic.

And I will be keeping Jarie (and you, of course!) in my thoughts. I hope the cephalexin works!

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/23/12 03:00 AM

I've found probiotics more effective away from food?

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/23/12 03:53 AM

Thanks Ruth and Lisa, I will go ahead and give her probiotic a couple hours after breakfast and the morning cephalxin.

One bath last night, and bath number 2 done tonight. Good thing she loves baths and is use to having them in the bathtub!

Will update after her appt. next Saturday and when I get the test results back.

Thanks guys!

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/23/12 11:56 AM

A gentle smooch and a soft pat on poor Jarie's head. And a hug for you too! Hope that all the people wishing you guys well start to make the difference and start the healing.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/29/12 12:28 AM

Our update on Jarie.

Vet appointment this morning. Lab results have not come back yet. Her bacteria infection in both ears is completely clear, yay! We just have to flush them twice a week for awhile and hope that helps prevent the infection from recurring.

Her rash is improving, but very much still there. She still wants to scratch it, but not as often as she was. He gave me another weeks worth of antibiotics (cephalexin). I still need to bathe her, a couple times a week, doesn't have to be every night (good, because those nighttime baths were getting tiresome).

She has 4 seperate stitches where they did the biopsies, and I am really pleased that those are healing nicely, she normally doesn't heal fast and her skin gets bad reactions from any scraping and such. I keep forgetting to ask the doc if the stitches are desolvable, will have to remember next week.

So, we won't know more until next week, and am hoping all the lab results come back with nothing too serious going on.

Adding a photo of my special girl I took this morning, just because. wub
Posted By: Woodreb

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/29/12 12:43 AM

wub Hope she is better soon and nothing scary comes from the biopsies.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/29/12 01:07 AM

She's such a sweetie with those big, big ears! Fingers crossed for good news!

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/29/12 01:23 AM

Smiling girl smile

That they are clearing up with the abx are a great sign crossedfingers

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/29/12 01:25 AM

Glad to hear that she's healing! Keeping all fingers, toes and paws cross here in the BowWowMeowMeow household!

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/29/12 10:00 AM

wub Such a pretty girl.

Keeping all fingers and paws crossed here for the results hugging

Ruth, I like the extra meow! smile

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/29/12 12:48 PM

hugging impatient Hoping for good news and a swift return to normalcy.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/29/12 01:37 PM

Glad to hear she's on the road to recovery. smile Hopefully soon, she'll be recovered and back to normal.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/29/12 04:11 PM

Jarie is really being a good patient and you are being a great care-giver. Maybe between the two of you that will equal recovery.

crossedfingers

MJ

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/30/12 08:48 PM

Thanks guys! She is starting to feel a bit better then she was a week ago. Still wanting and is scratching but not nearly like she was.

Ruth, I too, love the extra Meow, that made me smile!!!

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/31/12 01:31 AM

I'm glad Jarie is feeling better! May she continue to heal smoothly. crossedfingers Wishing only good things for your sweet girl!
Posted By: JeanKBBMMMAAN

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 01/31/12 01:37 AM

I totally missed this, sorry, I should have been sending good thoughts to that pretty girl. I wonder if her skin looked so shocked because of the way she reacts to things - like an older person when they scratch or get a bruise, they bleed a little underneath the skin?

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/05/12 12:21 AM

So, todays vet appointment. Her rash is improving, it isn't as big as it was, but still very red and raw on and around her teats. It is a staph infection, most likely allergy related. We believe caused by scratching from allergies that turned into a staph infection. The staph infection is quite deep in the tissue and very close to turning to MRSA. Can't remember exactly how he worded that. Of course we need to prevent that from happening. She has been on the Cephalexin for 2 weeks now, but it isn't strong enough to warrant continuing with it. According to the culture, there are a few antibiotics that are sensitive to this staph, but she happens to be allergic to all but 3 of them. One being the Cephalexin, I don't remember the name of one of them but the side effects were horrible, with end results of kidney failure. The new antibiotic she is now on is Chloramphenicol 750mg 3x per day. We are told this would be the best of the three, and as long as taken properly should prevent MRSA.

My worry? I'm nervous giving this to her, there are some side effects that *can*, not necessarily will, happen, involving blood and bone marrow. Although rare, but with all of Jarie's special needs, this is a big concern. Oh, and if that isn't worry enough, I am told I have to wear gloves when administering these pills, and not let them touch my skin. Apparently humans may develop fatal aplastic anemia if exposed orally to chloramphenicol and the condition is irreversible. Yikes!

On a side note, I think I know what caused all of this scratching and the ear infections. She has been struggling with the ear infections and scratching her body since last May. It's been a struggle. I happened to get on Natural Balance's website last night, I wanted to check the Kcals in the food I was feeding her before I switched to the Evo, and I had noticed they started adding Pea Protein to their sweet potato and venison formula. I called them and asked when they started this. They said they officially started adding it January of 2011, but many stores didn't get the bags with it in until April and May! I know she is allergic to peas. I didn't know they started using pea protein. I feel so terrible. I can not be positive this was the cause, but I do believe it had something to do with it.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/05/12 12:44 AM

I just noticed I had the dosage wrong. He has the Chloramphenicol dosage at 1,250 mg 3x per day. I think I will check that, it seems awful high.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/05/12 01:09 AM

Disregard, I just checked the normal dosing, and this is actually lower, I guess I'm just a little stressed.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/05/12 01:10 AM

Understandably so. smile I hope Jarie's belly clears up soon.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/05/12 02:23 AM

Stressed, understandably so crazy

I don't know anything about that abx. RileyAnna went through the MRSA treatment, maybe she has experience with it? You might find her old thread around here somewhere?

Does she tolerate coconut oil? Other things that are supposed to be helpful include Oil of Oregano, and these probiotics claim to be helpful: http://www.crohns.net/page/C/PROD/OMX1060

That's terrible about the Pea Protein....very difficult to manage an allergy dog when those changes are made frown

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/05/12 02:31 AM

At one time dog good manufacturer's had 6 months to change all their packaging when ingredients changed.

I don't know if this is still true, or how long it takes in actuality. In the case of dogs like Jarie, that seems criminal to me.

I am so sorry for all Jarie has gone through and hope this new med will take care of everything for her. hugging

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/05/12 02:40 AM

Eeek. Chloramphenicol is a scary antibiotic.

http://www.medicinenet.com/chloramphenicol-oral/page2.htm

Pea protein is hard to avoid - kibble and canned.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/05/12 03:00 AM

That antibiotic sounds really scary! I hope it works.

And don't feel bad about the food: how could you know?

I hope Jarie is on the mend soon. Are you keeping her in a t-shirt to protect the infected areas?

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/05/12 03:18 AM

I am sending good thoughts for Jarie to do well on this antibiotic with NO worrysome side effects at all! crossedfingers crossedfingers crossedfingers Please don't feel so badly about the pea protien. It seems innocuous enough in a list of ingredients, and the best foods often seem to have that in it. You are doing the best you can for Jarie. hugging I'm glad she is improving. Paws crossed that she sails smoothly through treatment, and that her skin heals over and looks calm, firm, and well.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/05/12 03:31 AM

Thanks guys and thanks for the links.

I looked up RileyAnna's old MRSA thread and she used the same antibiotic. Good informative thread. Fortunately for Jarie, she does not have MRSA yet, and since she has been on the Cephalexin already for 2 weeks, I am hoping it won't develop into MRSA, which is the reason he wants her on the Chloramphenicol, to kick this infection now.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/05/12 03:56 AM

Darn, I missed the other questions.

Lisa, she can't have coconut, but I have never tried Oil of Oregano. That link for the probiotic was interesting, thanks.

Question, I am only giving her one probiotic, should I give her 2, and at what time?
Her antibiotic is given at 6am, 2pm and 10pm. I normally give one probiotic at 8am. When should I give her another, if I need to?

Ruth, no I wasn't having her wear a t-shirt. Do you think that is important?

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/05/12 04:04 AM

I take oil of oregano for my sinuses. Were you talking about the tincture, Lisa? I have used that for warts.

The t-shirt is very helpful for Kailor because it keeps her from tearing her skin open.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/05/12 04:31 AM

Question, I am only giving her one probiotic, should I give her 2, and at what time?
Her antibiotic is given at 6am, 2pm and 10pm. I normally give one probiotic at 8am. When should I give her another, if I need to?

As an example, the person that recommended that probiotic above to me, when her dog got real sick, she gave 10 at a time, several times throughout the day. Max, this weekend, I am not giving that much, but I'm giving a lot, in case there is something toxic we can fight, before it gets more out of hand.

I like giving a probiotic before bed, but I'm guessing that you guys go to bed before midnight, so that won't work. If you could give another dose between the 2pm and the 10pm abx, that would be good. Since that's kinda a scary abx, I would give 2 probiotic pills, twice a day.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/05/12 04:37 AM

Originally Posted By: BowWowMeow
I take oil of oregano for my sinuses. Were you talking about the tincture, Lisa? I have used that for warts. ....

I was thinking internally:
http://www.staph-infection-resources.com...mrsa-and-staph/

This is the one that I use here, but Max has never done well on it. I have used it (just starting back), and Indy did real well on it:
http://www.vitacost.com/productResults.aspx?x=0&y=0&ntk=products&ss=1&Ntt=oreganol
I would just put one drop in a capsule for Indy per day.

Ruth, OoO are you using?

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/05/12 09:40 AM

Sending positive thoughts for Jarie that the abx works and has no side effects for her hugging

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/05/12 01:22 PM

Me too. hugging

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/22/12 08:28 PM

I wanted to come and update this thread. This Saturday will be 5 weeks since Jarie has been on abx. She has gone to the vet every saturday, and this Saturday will be her 5th weekend visit.

She was on the Cephalexin for 2 weeks, and now has been on the Chloramphenicol 1,250mg 3x per day for almost 3 weeks now. The staph infection has not healed on the one side. For 3 weeks we have seen no improvement, hasn't gotten worse, but not better either. While at the vets last Saturday, he was concerned. He wanted us to finish off this week with the Chloramphenicol, and if by this Saturdays vet appt, if we still see no improvement, we need to try another abx.

Here is the worry. When we got the culture back, there were only 3 abx Jarie can take that is sensitive to this staph. The 2 that she has already been on, and for the life of me, I can't remember the name of the 3rd. It wasn't important at the time because with that particular abx, my vet has seen too many patients go into kidney failure while on it, and he wasn't comfortable using it with all of Jarie's issues. Some other issues with bleeding tendencies too, but I don't recall all of what he said then. They may have to keep her while being treated with another abx, to monitor her closely. I'm really hoping it doesn't come to that. Kind of hoping for some miracle that in the next 2 days we will start seeing some improvement.

Other then this, she is doing okay. She gets very excited to go to the vets every week, although once there, it isn't much fun for her, but happy to go for the ride and visit everyone. I have to say, out of every dog I have ever owned, I have never had an issue at the vets with my gsd's. they don't bark, growl, show teeth, they are always on their best behavior. With all of the poking and prodding and many vet visits Jarie makes, she makes us proud.

If I may please ask, for some good miracle vibes, pray if you pray, that she heals quickly, or if it comes down to her having to stay at the vets, that she recovers with no ill effects.

Thanks, will update after this weekend.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/22/12 08:56 PM

Tammy - I don't know if this would be something to ask your vet about or not: http://www.neogen.com/AnimalSafety/pdf/ProdInfo/Tech_Bulletins/08892.pdf Immunoregulin if you want to google more. I was going to start Nina on it on her next staph flare.

I really hope that she gets better. Very worrisome.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/22/12 09:29 PM

I had wanted to try the Immunoregulin for LJ. What I had read sounded promising.

Tammy, does Jarie lay on the side that isn't getting better?

I'm sending some miracle vibes. We sure could use some good news around here.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/22/12 09:31 PM

Keeping paws crossed for Jarie!
Posted By: GrandJan

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/22/12 09:44 PM

Of course you are all in my thoughts and prayers. Will anxiously await an update. hugging

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/22/12 10:12 PM

Originally Posted By: LJsMom

I'm sending some miracle vibes. We sure could use some good news around here.

Yes, yes, yes!

Really hoping she makes a turn around before the weekend. hugging

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/22/12 10:53 PM

hugging Tami & Jarie hugging
Posted By: Kris

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/22/12 11:24 PM

Oh crap Tammy... Hoping that she's improves a ton in the next couple of days. Sending lots of healing energy and hugs to your sweet girl... hugging

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/22/12 11:33 PM

Wishing for miracles, healing, and wellbeing for Jarie. crossedfingers Sending her many positive healing vibes from Grimm, Smokey and me! hugging
Posted By: JakodaCD OA

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/22/12 11:48 PM

sending positive vibes to Jarie for a good outcome this weekend!!

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/22/12 11:52 PM

Paws crossed here as well. Good girl, Jarie for being so good at the vet's office.

I hope you find something to help her more.

Interesting thought about which side she lies on. Curious to hear if it is the side that is healing slower.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/22/12 11:53 PM

Sending good thoughts westward for you and Jarie!

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/23/12 04:26 AM

And some healing vibes from me too. Definitelyvneed to get Jarie better hugging

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/23/12 04:30 AM

Shoot I was hoping for some better news with Jarie. Maybe she just needs a little more time on the Meds. I am glad she is still being agreeable about going to the Vet's office.

Sending good vibes.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/23/12 07:18 AM

Keeping all fingers and toes, paws and legs crossed here for Jarie hugging

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/23/12 04:14 PM

Originally Posted By: JeanKBBMMMAAN
Tammy - I don't know if this would be something to ask your vet about or not: http://www.neogen.com/AnimalSafety/pdf/ProdInfo/Tech_Bulletins/08892.pdf Immunoregulin if you want to google more. I was going to start Nina on it on her next staph flare.

I really hope that she gets better. Very worrisome.

Thanks Jean, I have thought about Immunoregulin, some of the side effects I have heard about scare me a little, but I never have talked to my vet about it. I will ask about it this weekend.

Tammy, does Jarie lay on the side that isn't getting better?

Interesting Joanne, I hadn't given that any thought, but after reading this, I have watched her, and no, she lays on both sides, doesn't really have a preference.

Thanks everyone, all the good vibes are very much appreciated.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/26/12 06:17 PM

Some good news...By yesterday's vet appointment we were finally seeing some improvement with Jarie's staph infection. The vet wanted us to use the topical he gave us last week for only one week. I do think the topical may have helped accelerate the healing. Due to her many reactions to abx and topicals, he does not want her on it longer then one week. So Last Friday was her last day with the topical. She has another two weeks with the Chloramphenicol, and am hoping we continue to see improvement.

Some bad news...she has hurt all of her feet. She has been chewing on them, and the pads are torn on her back feet, and her front ones are red, raw, and swollen. She hurts, and can not walk very well.

Despite her sore feet, we are happy to finally see some improvement with the staph, now we just need to get a handle on her feet, and hope those don't turn to a staph infection too.

We are getting there, slowly, but getting there.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/26/12 06:32 PM

So sorry about her feet, but sure am glad you're finally seeing some improvement with the staph infection ... that's great news!!! Let's hope your next report will indicate more improvement!!!

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/26/12 08:16 PM

Tammy, those feet...do they almost look like pieces are missing, or chemical burns, or plantar's warts in people (with the weird layer thing)? When I first got Bella, or in the first year, she had a weird paw pad thing. I swear my old vet thought that I was doing it to her with chemicals. Before I stared fostering and bringing weird things in on a regular basis!

Anyway, he had me put Desitin on and then wrap her feet, and put dog boots on. He also scheduled her for a biopsy 2 weeks in, in case it wasn't working because it was painful. Bella was so good about it all, and loved clomping in those boots. And then in the yard, Bruno would grab them like a tug toy and go running around when he'd get one off like eeee! I won! I saw slow improvement and by the time the 2 weeks was up he canceled the biopsy.

At the time someone told me her GSD had been on Rx zinc tabs and he had done the Desitin as a zinc thing. Just wanted to mention it because of course I had gone all autoimmune in my head.

Glad there is some improvement otherwise!

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/26/12 08:24 PM

I was thinking autoimmune too, but also thinking liver. If I thought it might not bother her, I would want her on liver support.

Max had paw issues like you described, but rarely would it flair all of them at onece, it would be one paw at a time.

Arcatapet has some $10 cheapo booties that I used to keep him off of his paws. I would used peroxide sparingly, and then zymox spray.

hugging hang in there you guys!

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/28/12 08:35 PM

Tammy, just a thought that I'll throw out there...

Continued skin infections can be from a low IgA which does occur in the breed. Max wasn't low IgA when he was your, but certainly so as he aged.

I did read that melatonin is supposed to increase IgA, and I gave Max some each night before bedtime. If skin issues continue, this might be something to consider?

Wanted to post that since it crossed my mind, thinking of you guys hugging

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/28/12 09:31 PM

Thanks Lisa and Jean. Sorry I really didn't want to bump this thread up anymore. There are so many sad threads in the health section lately, and many members and dogs could use more help then mine right now.

I have alot going on with Bandit and my other aussies as well which is why I haven't responded. I do have some questions so I will just pm you guys.

Thanks so much for all the help.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/28/12 09:50 PM

Tammy, Poo. This is a health forum and health is health. Some times this section is really busy and other times it is very very quite.

You are a member here so please feel free to post your Aussie's problems here. There are some other members with Aussie, so maybe the more eyes the better.

Shoot that Jarie has decided to chew her feet. With her I would guess that it is some type of reaction to the medications.

Liver support might not be a bad idea. If the liver is getting gunked up then it isn't filtering as it should be.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/28/12 09:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Wisc.Tiger_Val
Tammy, Poo. This is a health forum and health is health. Some times this section is really busy and other times it is very very quite.

You are a member here so please feel free to post your Aussie's problems here. There are some other members with Aussie, so maybe the more eyes the better.

I completely agree!

And I've been very worried about Bandit, I just can't seem to get over to FB nowadays.

We are hear for you guys - lots of folks here to give input. Many of us would feel awful bad thinking that you needed us and didn't post hugging

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/28/12 11:27 PM

Although I come here often to see how Jarie is doing, I don't always post. I hope you continue to be here and post your questions, responses to treatment, etc. We all learn so much from each other.

I'm sorry - I should have let you know I was here and interested.

Hope Jarie is doing better soon. hugging

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/29/12 08:51 AM

Adding my wishes for both Jarie and Bandit hugging

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 02/29/12 04:35 PM

I also watch this thread for updates on Jarie! It's crazy how emotionally invested you get with other people's dogs who you've never met. I worry about all the pets with health issues. frown

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/03/12 05:25 AM

impatient update?

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/03/12 04:31 PM

Tammy, those feet...do they almost look like pieces are missing, or chemical burns, or plantar's warts in people (with the weird layer thing)?
Anyway, he had me put Desitin on and then wrap her feet, and put dog boots on.

They do look like pieces, big chunks are missing. Just like if she ran hard on pavement and ripped them off. We can't use Desitan because of the Zinc. Desitan is how we found out she can not tolerate a lot of Zinc. She breaks out in lots of little red puss type bumps when used and vomits from it, so we try to stay away from any zinc products.

Originally Posted By: PositiveDog

I'm sorry - I should have let you know I was here and interested.

Hope Jarie is doing better soon. hugging

Oh Geez Bonnie, I didn't mean to imply that I felt no one was interested in Jarie. There have just been many people that have needed much help in health lately, and I didn't wanted Jarie's thread bumped up to interfere in other peoples threads. I know some people don't have alot of time to come on and post, I'm one of those, so I didn't want Jarie's thread at the top to take away from others. I wasn't in dire need of advice, so just chose to wait for more updates.

Originally Posted By: Good_Karma
It's crazy how emotionally invested you get with other people's dogs who you've never met. I worry about all the pets with health issues. frown

This!! Although I don't post alot, I read, and I sit here in tears knowing I can't do much to help others. Everyone here is like extended family, and we do get emotionally involved.

impatient update?

Lisa, her staph is much improved, finally. We will be going back to the vet in about an hour for her 6th appt. We are hoping she will only have one more week with this abx.

Her ears look fantastic, never in her life have they looked this good, so that is a great thing.

Her feet, she is chewing them quite a bit. I'm constantly after her to leave them alone. I have used the Zymox spray, and I put socks on her feet, wrapped on with vet wrap. I have even put Bitter apple on the socks to make her leave them alone. They still hurt her while she walks. She has been scratching more again this week, so that concerns me some. She put a big scratch mark right across the one teat that was healing. It's been windy here, and we know how that affects her.

I am interested to see how she does once all the abx are stopped and out of her system. She hasn't had any tummy issues since she has been on the abx or the Evo RM. I don't know if that is because of the Evo, or the abx or both, since I changed her food at the same time we started with the abx.

I will try and get pictures of her feet later today and post those after her bath.

I will update later today after her vet appt, and see what the next step is.

Thanks a bunch!

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/03/12 04:38 PM

Here is a photo so you can see her ears. See how she finally has hair growing inside them?

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/03/12 07:56 PM

I am so glad that the infection is clearing up, I hope that this is over soon!

I hate that I'm at a loss to help. I'm just not sure what will help with this, though liver support is good! What makes me think of this was a dog, long ago, kept having these paw problems. Turned out that it was the liver from Rimadyl poisoning. He dinked around with his regular vet for a long time, and by the time he got the university and a diagnosis, it was too late frown Chunks of his paw pads fell off. With Jarie, it could easily be the wind crazy

hugging hoping for a great vet update!

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/03/12 09:13 PM

I forgot to mention, she is always such a happy girl in her pictures, what a wonderful spirit!

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/03/12 10:38 PM

Oh Lisa, I forgot to mention the liver support.

She has been taking Vetri-DMG supplements for about a year now, suggested by my vet. Here is a link to the one I get.
http://www.entirelypets.com/vetridmgtablets.html

My vet asked me if she was still taking them when she was first put on the abx, and told me to just continue them. Are these sufficient enough for liver support or should I be trying something different?

Vet appt. today went good. He wants her on the abx for another week and then we will see him again next Saturday. The rash is so much better, but still a bit there, so he wants to make sure it is completely healed before she is off the meds. He will also recheck her feet next week if I get no improvement by then.

I will be seeing him again tomorrow with another one of my crew, so if there is anything I need to check with him, I can do that tomorrow, and not have to wait another week.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/04/12 01:55 AM

I have never seen "before and after" results posted from DMG, so I really don't know how dedicated of a liver support they are. My favorite, of which I have seen results posted several times, is the Country Life "Liver Support Factors".

With these chronic infections, they always say, treat until all symptoms are gone, and then a bit longer, which is *not* want you want to hear. I do think that the coconut oil, if tolerated, is not a bad idea.

(Been thinking of Bandit....)

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/04/12 02:02 AM

Quote:
Oh Geez Bonnie, I didn't mean to imply that I felt no one was interested in Jarie.

blush LOL I didn't think you were implying that. I just meant you deserve as much support as the others. hugging It is just so sad that we have so many health problems among our dogs now.

That picture of Jarie is so nice. She is a beautiful girl and posed nicely for you. Her ears looked great!

I will leave the medical options to others and just read and learn from them.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/04/12 02:18 AM

I am glad to hear that Jarie is making some progress. Those darn Staph infection can be a PIA to get knocked out. Fingers crossed that this will be the last week of meds.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/04/12 08:06 PM

Tammy, I was just reminded of a dog that had battles with Staph infections that tried DMG and it made it worse? I know when I tried it on Max, it made his nose terrible, and that was some weird infection. There was some staph in there, but we never knew if it was all staph, or that was in there with other stuff. I had completely forgotten about how it made max's nose leather peel and become raw. At first I thought it was starting to heal, but it was just the opposite.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/04/12 10:51 PM

Tammy, I was just reminded of a dog that had battles with Staph infections that tried DMG and it made it worse? I know when I tried it on Max, it made his nose terrible, and that was some weird infection. There was some staph in there, but we never knew if it was all staph, or that was in there with other stuff. I had completely forgotten about how it made max's nose leather peel and become raw. At first I thought it was starting to heal, but it was just the opposite.

That's kind of scary. She is getting better, but would if? I don't want to take that chance.

I have never seen "before and after" results posted from DMG, so I really don't know how dedicated of a liver support they are. My favorite, of which I have seen results posted several times, is the Country Life "Liver Support Factors".

With these chronic infections, they always say, treat until all symptoms are gone, and then a bit longer, which is *not* want you want to hear. I do think that the coconut oil, if tolerated, is not a bad idea.

Okay this is the one you are talking about I assume?
http://www.vitacost.com/Country-Life-Liver-Support-Factors-100-Tablets/?pd_section=pr#productReviews

I can order that now if this is the right one. How many would I give Jarie? Also is this something she should get all the time or maybe just for awhile?

(Been thinking of Bandit....)

Thanks. There has been no change:( His head tilt bothers him enough where I have to hand feed him his meals. But atleast he is eating, right?

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/04/12 11:03 PM

Well, she is getting better on the abx. I'm worried if the DMG is aggravating things, that she will relapse off the abx and you'll have to start this over. Also the paw issue - it could be inflaming the paws, it did that to the one paw that Max had chronic problems with. It was immune stimulating, which is always tricky with these GSDs.

Yes, that's the liver support. I would give one once a day with meals (assuming 2 meals per day). I would give it during all the toxic meds, and then a little while longer, and then evaluate.

I would think that Bandit should be getting a bit better by now? Very glad that he is at least eating. No signs of improvement? That bothers me. I can't remember the treatment LJsMom used when LJ had vestibular. I know it's a rule-out diagnosis.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/05/12 11:40 AM

No help, just hugging

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/05/12 04:26 PM

Yes, that's the liver support. I would give one once a day with meals (assuming 2 meals per day). I would give it during all the toxic meds, and then a little while longer, and then evaluate.

Okay thanks. I ordered it and having it shipped next day air, and will start that and stop the DMG.

I would think that Bandit should be getting a bit better by now? Very glad that he is at least eating. No signs of improvement? That bothers me. I can't remember the treatment LJsMom used when LJ had vestibular. I know it's a rule-out diagnosis.

I know the average is 2 weeks with vestibular. One of my friends dog had it for 6 weeks before he got better. There are some cases where they don't improve, but I'm hoping that isn't Bandit.

The vet gave me Meclizine to give him, but that hasn't seemed to help. He doesn't vomit, so that is good. His walking is a bit better, but still wants to circle, and if he stands in one place too long he will fall over. The vet xrayed his ear to see if there was any middle ear polyps, and nothing was found. He does have an appt. with a neuro on Thursday. Originally was set for last week but it got cancelled. I'm worried about him too. frown

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/06/12 12:04 AM

With Jarie, I always worry starting anything, only because she is so sensitive! I do think it's worth trying, stopping the DMG, and with the drugs, definitely want to protect the liver.

You don't have a chiro around? They can feel around the bones and get a better idea what is going on, even if it's just a consult and not an adjustment. Regular vets and neuros don't have that same skill though frown I've never dealt with vestibular, but lots of other spinal, neck and head issues. I hope the appt on thursday goes well.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/06/12 12:26 AM

Oh Lisa, I do have a chiro I've used in the past for Jake. I hadn't even considered it with Bandit. Not sure I feel comfortable with it. That is probably me worrying that something else is wrong and any adjustment might make things worse? Go ahead, tell me I'm worrying about nothing.

I should look into that now too, I know. I'm so worried about him and just want my Lit'l Man better.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/06/12 01:45 AM

You have had, and still have your hands full frown

Are you comfortable enough to tell the chiro your concerns, and just ask for an eval to see if they feel anything?

Is the chiro fairly gentle, judging by past visits?

I think caution is always good, but I also think sometimes chiro gets at things nothing else can. I completely understand your concern, I know what I would do, but nothing is without risk, so I don't know what to say.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/06/12 01:59 AM

You've made a good point. She was gentle with Jake, but that's been a few years now.

I will call tomorrow and see if I can get in for an evaluation, maybe she will have something positive to say over the phone too.

Our hands are more full then we want right now. We are dealing with some major health issues with my other 2 aussies, Jeni and Jessi too, I'm just not talking about them...yet. frown Trying to get Jarie and Bandit taken care of first.

Thanks Lisa, I don't think I would have even considered Chiro if you hadn't mentioned it.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/06/12 02:18 AM

Well, I don't know if the chiro is "it", but I hope it is. If she gets in there and says, yeah, is cervical area is all outta wack. Then that is definitely something she can address.

One step at a time I guess hugging

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/06/12 08:09 AM

Thinking of you Tammy and hoping that all your pack will soon be much better hugging

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/12/12 07:25 PM

Update...

As of last night, Jarie is officially off her meds. Her staph infection is completely healed. (she has a minor eye infection, due to the wind and her allergies, and still working on her foot problem, but we can handle that) Now to wait and see how she does this week with no meds, and if all is good, then next week we can slowly start her back on all her supplements, and see how she does.
Posted By: Barb E

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/12/12 08:39 PM

happyboogie

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/12/12 08:43 PM

Hallelujah!!!! groovy

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/12/12 11:09 PM

What wonderful news! wow Continued good news while off the meds.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/13/12 12:08 AM

happyboogie

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/13/12 12:31 AM

Woo hoo!

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/13/12 08:18 AM

Awesome news! Now paws and fingers crossed she can stay off them.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/13/12 01:11 PM

Great news Tammy - and Jarie! Hoping for continued good health! crossedfingers

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/13/12 01:17 PM

crossedfingers so glad that the meds are done and things are looking good smile

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/13/12 01:19 PM

happyboogie THAT is good news. Very glad.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/13/12 01:43 PM

Way to go, Jarie! party Tammy, sending continued good thoughts and vibes for Jarie to feel and do very well! bloomrose

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/13/12 05:21 PM

Yea for Jarie and Tammy. Now let's hope that this round really kicked the crap out of the Staph infection and she doesn't have a re-occurring problem.
Penguin party 3penguins penguin penguin_spin penguin_spin penguin 3penguins 3penguins penguin penguin_spin penguin_spin penguin 3penguins

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/13/12 06:43 PM

Yea for Jarie and Tammy. Now let's hope that this round really kicked the crap out of the Staph infection and she doesn't have a re-occurring problem.
Penguin party 3penguins penguin penguin_spin penguin_spin penguin 3penguins 3penguins penguin penguin_spin penguin_spin penguin 3penguins
I love a good party and will add my own CONGRATS to Tammy and Jarie!!!

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/14/12 01:13 PM

thumbup Great news!

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/14/12 07:29 PM

I am very behind on the forum but am SO THRILLED to see that Jarie kicked the infection! happyboogie

I hope she does well off of her meds and makes a smooth transition back to her supplements.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/16/12 02:16 PM

I guess I spoke too soon. Jarie is back at the vet, right along side Bandit..:(

The rash came back, all red all over her teat and under her arm. It was completely gone the first of the week. Another culture being done, and will be back on her meds.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/16/12 03:38 PM

teary I'm so sorry. This is incredibly frustrating. frown

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/16/12 03:43 PM

frown I'm so sorry tammy hugging

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/16/12 03:55 PM

This is not the news we wanted to hear. I am so sorry for you and that poor sweet girl. hugging
Posted By: Catu

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/16/12 04:24 PM

I. sorry to hear that, I can't imagine how frustrating it may be.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/16/12 05:53 PM

frown
hugging

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/17/12 12:44 AM

Whoa, and Bandit too?
frown

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/17/12 01:10 AM

Whoa, and Bandit too?
frown

Jean, I haven't talked much about Bandit here except a little earlier in this thread. He came down with Vestibular symptoms over 6 weeks ago. Classic head tilt, loss of balance and coordination. But he has only gotten worse, not better. He is unable to eat/chew, I'm thinking because of the severe head tilt, because I can get him to eat soft food, but I have to hand feed him.

They tried to scope his ear, but the inner ear is blocked/swollen so they couldn't get the scope in, even a little bit. No signs of an infection by looking at it with the naked eye, no redness, no scratching, no odor. Infection maybe? Growth/tumor maybe? Xrays show nothing. Blood work is all in the normal ranges. Just in case it is infection, he was put on cephalexin and Prednisone. He has continued to get worse even with the meds. He can't walk without me next to him. They managed to scope his ear today, so the swelling has come down enough for that. But he still can't walk, or really much of anything without my assistance. Perhaps he needs to be on the meds longer before we see improvement, but why get worse in the meantime? We don't know. We were just there to pick him up and bring him home, but while there, he froze and collapsed. He isn't coming home tonight. He's scheduled for an MRI.

Bandit has been a picture of health for 12.5 yrs, except for his acl tear 2 yrs ago. It's so upsetting. Dealing with all of this with Jarie, then losing Oscar 2 weeks ago, and now trying to figure out what has happened to Bandit. It's getting a little overwhelming. Oh, forgot to mention Jeni, my almost 10 yr old aussie, we are waiting for the biopsy results from a lump that was just removed from her yesterday too!

If you haven't guessed yet, yes, we have just about taken up residence at the vets.

We will get through this, one step at a time.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/17/12 01:35 AM

I am so sorry for all you and your family are going through. How frustrating and scary for you.

I hope you get some better news tomorrow. I will be thinking of you.

hugging

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/17/12 03:04 AM

I am so very sorry hugging

Let us know what the MRI tells you frown

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/17/12 06:42 AM

Oh no frown Lots of huge hugging zooming to you and Jarie and Bandit and Jeni. Sending prayers for positive turn arounds for all.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/17/12 11:24 AM

Sending good thoughts and prayers from CT for all of you.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/17/12 11:34 AM

when it rains it pours:(

This is way off in left field, but did you ever do the mdr1 test on Bandit? wondering if he's not getting better 'because' of the pred?/meds?

How much pred is he on? When Jynx(aussie mdr1 m/m) was thisclose to death's door quite a few years ago, one vet, put her on pred, rather a high dose, and let me tell ya, she was not only a zombie, but could barely move. She can take the pred in lower doses, but this dosage was just way to high for her and actually did more damage at that dosage..That's when I stopped everything and re evaluated for myself..(she didn't have vestibular tho)

JUst throwing that out there, hugs to you all.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/17/12 12:50 PM

Thinking of you. hugging

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/17/12 03:56 PM

Thanks for all the continued support.

Originally Posted By: JakodaCD OA
did you ever do the mdr1 test on Bandit? wondering if he's not getting better 'because' of the pred?/meds?

Diane, yes he was tested for mdr1 years ago. No worries there. It does bother me though that he seemed to get worse with the meds. Don't know if that was a coincidence in timing or not, since he has seemed to get worse each day, but it was more obvious after the meds.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/17/12 05:31 PM

I would try a combination of abx, cipro or zeniquin, amoxi, and doxy, which covers almost everything (though not quite). I would double check the pred dose - it's probably high, and the ceph is probably at a low dose.

Was the MRI done? If it's not a brain tumor (please no!), then I would treat aggressively for unknown infection.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/17/12 08:38 PM

I'm so sorry, I wish I had better words of support, but please know that I am thinking of you and wishing the very best for all your babies. I know how very much they mean to you. hugging

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/23/12 01:22 AM

I guess I should update this thread somehow, but I really don't know what to say. Somehow I managed to include Bandit in this thread too. I've been avoiding the board, and this thread if for no other reason then a lack of words.

For those of you that don't know, I lost Bandit. There, I said it.

He came home from the vet last Saturday. Sunday he gave us a wonderful day with him. He was doing so well I was sure he was going to improve, but come Monday morning he continued to get worse, and we had the answers we needed, and knew he wasn't going to improve. I spent all day Tuesday, just him and I, just sitting, talking, being. Tuesday evening, we chose to let him go.

To say I am devastated, doesn't even come close to how I feel. This all came so sudden, with no warning that anything was wrong. He was and always will be my heart and soul.

When I can get my thoughts together, I will make a tribute and post photos, I know he wasn't a GSD, but he was an incredible aussie, and deserves his own tribute, I hope no one minds.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/23/12 01:44 AM

I guess I should update this thread somehow, but I really don't know what to say. Somehow I managed to include Bandit in this thread too. I've been avoiding the board, and this thread if for no other reason then a lack of words.

For those of you that don't know, I lost Bandit. There, I said it.

He came home from the vet last Saturday. Sunday he gave us a wonderful day with him. He was doing so well I was sure he was going to improve, but come Monday morning he continued to get worse, and we had the answers we needed, and knew he wasn't going to improve. I spent all day Tuesday, just him and I, just sitting, talking, being. Tuesday evening, we chose to let him go.

To say I am devastated, doesn't even come close to how I feel. This all came so sudden, with no warning that anything was wrong. He was and always will be my heart and soul.

When I can get my thoughts together, I will make a tribute and post photos, I know he wasn't a GSD, but he was an incredible aussie, and deserves his own tribute, I hope no one minds.

Oh Tammy, I am so sorry. This was so sudden, and so dramatic, and I was so hoping that he would pull through, whatever it was that had him.

I am glad that you had Sunday with him, and all the years before. That your heart has been shattered, slowly let's hope that his memories and love help repair that.

He was a part of our Home here, and do *not* think anything other, which means that his tribute belongs here too, with the rest of our loved dogs, regardless of their breed.

Maybe, when you update Jarie next time, you will feel better if you start a new thread, whatever your heart feels at the time works for us here....

hugging

rip Bandit, look over your mom for us butterfly
Posted By: Karin

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/23/12 01:56 AM

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear this Tammy. I was also hoping and thinking that he would get better. What a terrible thing to go through with all three of your dogs being sick and now the loss of Bandit. It's really good that you had a nice day with him on Sunday. You can hold onto those memories and I hope they will give you some comfort, if not now, later on. We're all thinking of you and hoping for the very best for the rest of your pack. We would love to see his tribute and photos.

Rest in peace, sweet Bandit. angel
Posted By: TimberWolf

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/23/12 02:45 AM

Tammy, I am so sorry to hear of your losing Bandit. R.I.P. sweet Bandit.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/23/12 02:56 AM

Tammy, I am so sorry. hugging We will see you when you feel like coming back to post.

As Lisa said, Bandit is a part of our 'family', and we are saddened by his loss.

Bandit - run free over the bridge and around the fields.

angel paw
Posted By: Schnickle Fritz

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/23/12 03:11 AM

i am so sorry for your loss

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/23/12 03:15 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss of Bandit.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/23/12 07:25 AM

Tammy, I am so very, very sorry hugging hugging You take all the time you need, we will be here whenever you need us hugging

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/23/12 10:58 AM

Originally Posted By: bianca
Tammy, I am so very, very sorry hugging hugging You take all the time you need, we will be here whenever you need us hugging

This. hugging

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/23/12 11:54 AM

you know my thoughts and prayers are with you and Ken, and the pack,,no matter how you look at it, its the worst part of living with our animals especially when they've been such huge parts of our lives for so very long:(

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/23/12 01:05 PM

I'm so very sorry for your loss of Bandit, know that I'm keeping you all in my thoughts
hugging and hugging

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/23/12 01:10 PM

Tammy, my heart goes out to you and Ken. It's hardly much comfort right now, but the Queen of England once said, "Grief is the price we pay for loving." We share in your grief. hugging

Run free, sweet Bandit. butterfly
Posted By: Qyn

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/23/12 01:21 PM

Very sorry to read this Tammy. hugging rip Bandit angel

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/23/12 02:01 PM

Tammy, I am so deeply sorry. hugging Wishing you strength. Godspeed, dear Bandit. angel

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/23/12 03:41 PM

Tammy, saw this on fb but wanted to post here too. I am so very sorry. You have been through hell and back with your fur kids and I know you are devastated. Sending many hugs your way. hugging hugging hugging hugging

rip Bandit.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/30/12 05:41 PM

Thank you all. I didn't want to start a new thread, and since I briefly wrote about Bandit here, I wanted to just say a few more things.

Mostly, I know Lisa would want to know, and she will read this here, easier for me then doing a new thread.

Some may have already guessed, but I never actually said it, so I thought I would elaborate a bit more with what happened with Bandit.

He was healthy. He began having vestibular symptoms. I was worried and beside myself, but we were sure the symptoms would go away as quickly as they began. He did have some days better then others. He was adjusting to not jumping up since he would lose his balance, but he still ran and tried to play with his toys and Jeni. He still ate, and he was still that high spirited happy lit'l man. Some days, his head was not tilting as much, and his walking was much better. So I thought he was improving.

He was put on prednisone and Cephalexin in case he had an inner ear infection. His ear was scoped, flushed, xrayed. Nothing there. His blood work was normal. Not low normal, not high normal. Right in the middle. He was perfect. His last week, he changed. He wouldn't eat unless I hand fed him. I figured it was hard for him to eat because of the head tilt. Then he wouldn't even take the food from my hand. I started cooking him chicken, and he ate that fine. Most of it from the bowl, then the last bit from my hand.

2 days before we let him go we had a catscan and an MRI done. It was confirmed, he had a brainstem tumor. He wasn't going to get better, only worse, and fast. On Sunday, he gave us a good day, on Monday, he couldn't keep his food down. On Tuesday, he wouldn't eat, and I found out because he was having difficulty swallowing. He started having tremors, his personality changed, his head was starting to take on a different shape, all in a matter of 4 days. The changes were quick. My little man was perfect and healthy in every visible way, until this. This was so sudden, I still can't comprehend it all. I'm at a loss, but I know we did all we could do.

Thank you Lisa, and everyone else who has always been here for us.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/30/12 05:46 PM

Oh Tammy
hugging

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/30/12 05:51 PM

grouphug

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/30/12 05:51 PM

Oh, and to just add how foolish I am, I took 3 last photos of him, just a few hours before we let him go, and those photos don't even look like the same boy..:(

I'm having a hard time today.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/30/12 06:20 PM

Tammy, thank you for letting us know what happened. I knew that you would tell us when you were ready. Indy had a brainstem lesion - infection or tumor, I don't know since I couldn't do the MRI. Her bloodwork was not normal, so it was probably infection for her. It's good to have closure and to know, and I appreciate you telling us.

The pictures, put them somewhere far away and look at the pictures from before he was sick, but you know that. And when you look at those pictures, you probably see a different bandit than you saw at the time, I had the same experience. I have some pictures of when indy was sick. They are not her. They do help when I feel like there was something I could have or should have done - they remind me that she was sick and it was her time.

These tumors are terrible things, but the good thing is that he did not linger - he was healthy almost to the end, and happy to stay with you and the pack for as long as he was able. The love and connection you shared were amazing, and it hurts so much when they are no longer physically here. Bandit to you sounds a lot like Indy to me, special in those certain ways wub

Hard days, harder days, intolerable days, better days, inconsolable days, accepting days, resigned days, harder days...we are here for you on this roller coaster hugging

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/30/12 07:03 PM

Tammy tumor involving the spine and spinal cord is what took Lakota away from me. One day we were playing ball, three days later he was having trouble with steps, 5 days later there was minimal communication from the brain getting to his hind quarters to move his legs.

I am mad at myself for missing some of the smaller signs, but the end result would have been the same. so I try to remember not to beat up on myself too much.

I think we just need to lean on each other to get through the pain.
grouphug

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/30/12 07:17 PM

grouphug Tammy grouphug

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/30/12 07:20 PM

I am mad at myself for missing some of the smaller signs, but the end result would have been the same. so I try to remember not to beat up on myself too much.

Yep. I'm glad you know what caused his decline. Just one of those things that happens sometimes, not a darn thing you can do about it. frown

hugging

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/30/12 07:31 PM

I think we just need to lean on each other to get through the pain.
grouphug

Ditto, ditto, ditto grouphug

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/30/12 07:42 PM

The one thing that consoles me is he never stopped being Bandit. He never aged, he never slowed down. Only that last week, just one week. He lived a very active, energetic happy life for 12.5 years. He was able to remain the Bandit everyone knew and loved all that time without having to slow down, until that last week. I am blessed to have been able to share him in my life, and he was blessed to be able to enjoy his life all the way up to the end.

Sometimes I want to be selfish, and wish he did slow down so I could have had some warning, preparation for this day, but I knew that wasn't what was planned for Bandit, he came in this life with a bang, lived out his life a bang, and ended it the same way.

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/30/12 08:43 PM

The one thing that consoles me is he never stopped being Bandit. He never aged, he never slowed down. Only that last week, just one week. He lived a very active, energetic happy life for 12.5 years. He was able to remain the Bandit everyone knew and loved all that time without having to slow down, until that last week. I am blessed to have been able to share him in my life, and he was blessed to be able to enjoy his life all the way up to the end.

Sometimes I want to be selfish, and wish he did slow down so I could have had some warning, preparation for this day, but I knew that wasn't what was planned for Bandit, he came in this life with a bang, lived out his life a bang, and ended it the same way.

Definitely sounds like he went through life on his terms, with the great care and guidance you provided wub

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/30/12 10:50 PM

Always in my thoughts. hugging

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 03/31/12 11:26 PM

Thank you for sharing. I had been wondering. Tumors are horrible things. hugging

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 04/01/12 04:07 PM

Thank you for sharing. I had been wondering. Tumors are horrible things. hugging

You are welcome Joanne. I was going to pm you to let you know, when I first found out, but I was in shock of it all. Finally decided to just post it here.

I am still having a difficult time taking it all in. So sudden, for something I never thought would happen to Bandit.

Every once in awhile, a feeling creeps over me, making me wonder why I couldn't do more for him. I know I couldn't. The neuro called me Friday to see how I was doing, so nice of him, and we had a long talk, not the first one, but a good talk. When the MRI was first done, he was surprised to see how well Bandit had been doing up until that last week, due to the size of the tumor, one would think Bandit would have went downhill a lot sooner then he had.

Tumors are horrible things:(

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 04/01/12 05:37 PM

grouphug grouphug grouphug

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 04/01/12 05:43 PM

The suddenness of the brain tumor, it really hits like a wall of bricks, and then you realize how well they have been doing for so long.

No second guessing...

hugging

Re: Worried about Jarie (pictures included) - 04/02/12 01:13 PM

I'm sorry for your loss.
© 2018 GermanShepherdHome.net