GermanShepherdHome.net

adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care?

Posted By: FurKids

adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/20/13 05:57 PM

Hi there,

Well, we are really sticking our neck out this time. We are adopting a blind GSD. Some may think we're crazy but she broke my heart and when hubby called from the road this morn I was crying. When he asked me what's wrong I told him. She showed up on Facebook and for two days I looked at her pic over and over and for those two days my heart was breaking. She's an owner surrender from a home with other dogs, our guess is they didn't want to deal with a blind dog but we don't know for sure. His response was that I should contact the shelter and he'd go get her. She's in NC, he's driving over 850 miles to get her. She's supposed to be other-dog friendly and very sweet disposition but scared to death in the shelter which totally understandable.

We've never had a blind dog before so I'd love some tips from those in the know on how to best care for her. We do plan on taking her to the vet to see about the possibility of having her sight restored. She's believed to be between 5 and 9 years old, she may just have cataracts which could possibly be corrected smile but we also know it may be permanent and that's ok with us. We just want her out of that shelter and into a loving home to live the rest of her life.

It's been six years since we brought another dog in this house, Riley is not always other-dog friendly but he has been just wonderful with the two female fosters we had back then and he had a male buddy for a couple years who's now deceased. We want to intro them right, hoping for the best but expecting that it could take a long time to get them really together, ya know what I mean? We know he can be just so great with other dogs but we also know he's got a "dark side" when it comes to that. We're hoping he'll sense her disability and act accordingly and like a gentleman, LOL!

I'm excited but I'm also scared.
Posted By: Kayos

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/20/13 06:21 PM

BLESS YOU and your DH!!!

I have never had a blind dog. I would expect and apply the same rules to her as you do Riley. No slack. Just because she is blind does not give her any special privileges.

Like any foster or new dog, be fair. Make sure Riley gets his special attention too.

As for blind. Never off leash unless in a secure area.

Help her learn where things are at in the house and refrain form moving things around once she knows where they are. Like humans, dogs that lose one sense often seem to have the other senses sharpened. She will be able to use her nose as her eyes.

You would train her with verbals instead of signals. She is still quite trainable.

She has no idea she is blind, she just knows she is......

I have no experience with this nut I sat and read a booklet about blind dogs when I was at the eye vet with Kayos about a year ago. That is pretty much what it said.

Please post pictures when she comes home and do let us know this special girl's name is.

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/20/13 07:03 PM

Thanks, Kathy smile really appreciate your info.

We don't like her current name (Andily) but I'm thinking maybe not a good idea to stray to far from it, she's got so much adapting to do and I don't want to stress her -- but maybe wouldn't add too much stress, I dunno. So, I'll be thinking on names. I'll have to try to find out what "Andily" means in a name. Never heard of it before.

Don't have to worry about moving things here, everything's been in the same place for years.

Am I crazy to hope that Riley will sense she's got this disability and not go macho on us?

Seems like forever until Monday, LOL! The shelter is closed over the weekend or he'd be on his way already.
Posted By: anniej

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/20/13 08:02 PM

Just wanted to say what a wonderful thing you are about to welcome into your home a dog who needs you so much into your home - she is already in your heart smile Enjoy

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/20/13 08:13 PM

I bet Riley will look out for her. smile

Andy

Lili

Annie

Kind of sound similar to Andily.

Shelters closed on weekends? How do people adopt dogs?
Posted By: Kris

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/20/13 08:45 PM

What a wonderful thing to do - and what a lucky girl to have found you! I like Andy, but maybe spell it Andi or Andie for a girlie dog?
Posted By: PositiveDog

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/20/13 11:23 PM

Use scents to help her find her way around - it may be scary for her to wander about and not be sure what room she is in.

A different scent for each room - perhaps cinnamon near the "out" door, lavender, vanilla etc for other rooms.

You can put opened candle jars in the room, or rub a little scent into the door frames at her face level occasionally to help her.

Also, different textured rugs just inside each room can help cue her.

Skye helped my late dog, Solo, find her way to the back door when she was outside - you may see your current dog helping the new girl.

Kudos to you! thumbup
Posted By: Braverhund

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/21/13 12:05 AM

This is wonderful! Some considerations:

Blindness, like deafness, isn't necessarily an absolute, they both occur along a continuum. She may see shadows, motion, light/dark, or have zero visual ability.

Kathy mentioned keeping rules firmly in place. Yes! This will help her feel that someone is in charge, so she can relax. Add structure to her daily routine (gradually), so she has a sense of stability and security. Maybe she needs to sit for her dinner until released, or whatever easy chores you can provide for her to feel a sense of stability there. Calm, soothing praise instead of exciting praise.

You can eventually enjoy training retrieval games with her too, if you like. Applying natural peppermint oil to her leash, cedar oil to her brush, and birch oil to your purse can have her helping out and feeling good about it! thumbup

If she's on any eye meds, I've found it's much easier to simply drop the eyedrops into the eye from above, instead of the lid-grabboing war that's usually suggested. Even ointments can be dripped in without fuss or conflict, if you warm the tube up in a bowl of warm water 10 minutes beforehand. (makes it more gloppy)

One consideration is this: Some blind dogs, especially those with nerve issues, really only do well being the only dog... this may be why she's in the shelter.

I hope that she and Riley hit it off wonderfully, and that they become a mutually supportive, loving pair, and best buds forever! I'm sending you, sweet Riley, and your DH good vibes for this to work out beautifully! bloomrose

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/21/13 01:39 AM

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...e=1&theater

Is this her???

Deb I am Kathy Woodbury on FB if you want to friend me. Heck we may already be freinds and I don't know your last name! rofl help
Posted By: MaxaLisa

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/21/13 03:04 AM

Wow Deb, this is great. It is exciting and scary, but you will do fine, and she is so lucky to be going to your home.

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/21/13 03:31 AM

I'm getting ready for work so will go through all the replies again soon as I an. Thanks so much for all the great tips!

Patti: According to the shelter she came from a multiple dog home.

Kathy: Yes, that's her smile

I'm hoping like heck that she's just blowing her coat and nobody brushed her and she doesn't have some horrible tumor problem or something.
Posted By: BowWowMeow

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/21/13 03:53 AM

My friend had a blind dog and my Massie was normally fine with other dogs but my friends' dog walked over her a couple of times and Massie got very ticked off and yelled at him. She did not understand that he was blind and thought he was being really rude about her space. I would watch out for things like that. Keep her leashed to you or give her her own space, especially if Riley can sometimes be reactive. You want to make things very, very safe for her and for your other dogs too.
Posted By: bianca

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/21/13 08:38 AM

Bless you for what you and DH are doing! It's so kind of you hugging

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/21/13 08:48 AM

Originally Posted By: MaxaLisa
Wow Deb, this is great. It is exciting and scary, but you will do fine, and she is so lucky to be going to your home.

Thanks, Lisa wink

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/21/13 08:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Kayos
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...e=1&theater

Is this her???

Deb I am Kathy Woodbury on FB if you want to friend me. Heck we may already be freinds and I don't know your last name! rofl help

Tried a search, not finding you on FB. Yes, that's her.

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/21/13 08:57 AM

Thank you to everyone sending supportive hugs smile

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/21/13 01:11 PM

https://www.facebook.com/kathy.woodbury.75

Deb this is me.

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/21/13 07:51 PM

Was rushing when I replied: thanks for stepping up for this girl!

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/21/13 10:02 PM

Any updates yet Deb, on this lovely girl and if/when you may be able to welcome her home? Grimmi and I are cheering you on! groovy
Posted By: Mary Jane

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/21/13 10:10 PM

Coming in a little late to commend you and your family for really helping those in need.

We often say how lucky a dog is to find that adoptive home-but this girl hit the mega-lottery (or whatever it's called).

I know that you'll take care of everybody.

great job,

Mary Jane
Posted By: katieliz

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/21/13 10:16 PM

omg, omg, are you getting THIS dog??? i saw her and simply could NOT get her face out of my head, and have been wondering every day about her. my serablue is almost completely blind now...they get around amazingly well. she will need some time to get used to the "lay of the land". after that i'll bet she'll be fine. i am always concerned about two bitches living together, likely since i have two who do not tolerate each other. i actually like her name, and think that since they've generally lost everything else when we rescue them, maybe it's nice to let them keep their name. jmho tho. i am excited to be able to possibly follow-up on how this girl is doing. i just felt so drawn to her and it's SO hard for me when i can't help, but i know my limits and i'm at 'em.
Posted By: Hatterasser

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/21/13 11:30 PM

I don't think anyone can compliment you enough for what you are taking on. What a lovely GSD and what a lovely family she's moving in with. I think you have received a lot of great advice from every one here which is good, since I can't add to it, never having had a blind dog. *laughing* But I can wish you luck and a lot of love shared.

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/21/13 11:45 PM

Is this still happening?

I was thinking about what I would do if I were bringing her into my home. I think I would restrict her mainly to one or two rooms until I felt she was comfortable, and slowly open things up, room by room, until she had access to the whole house. I would work on introducing her to where things are in the room.

Certainly keep the dogs barricaded apart initially until they were used to each others' smells and felt secure with boundaries. I think.
Posted By: arycrest

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/22/13 12:26 PM

CONGRATULATIONS AND THANK YOU FOR ADOPTING THIS GIRL!!! thanks

I'm NOT an expert, have had some old guys with some type of "night blindness" and Kelly had something wrong with his eyes where he was going blind, but I never had a completely blind dog.

Up until Mac got too old to do it, I had a "Nanny Dog" for many years ... a dog who would look after older dogs and sick dogs, help them around the yard, bring them in when they got lost in the yard at night, etc. Tex, Too & Mac did it naturally ... none of the guys I have now have this trait.

My only suggestion would be to use "Doggles" when your new girl is outside to decrease the risk of eye injuries from her running into something she can't see!!! Not sure if they're needed in the house or not, only you can evaluate that.
http://www.doggoggles.com/?gclid=CNjX7Yr-3rkCFevm7Aodv2cAGQ

I also suggest that you don't change the furniture around once she learns the layout of your house or if you do that you walk around the new layout so she can learn it. Many years ago my sister's OES was hit over the head by a burglar and blinded ... Thor was walking down the hall one day and ran into a laundry basket my sister had put down for some reason ... for the rest of his life when he came to that spot in the hall he'd circle around it as if a laundry basket was always there.

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/23/13 07:59 AM

Hubby's in Knoxville spending the night in a motel making him about 2.5hrs from Shelby. He'll be standing on their doorstep when they open at 2p and will call me soon as she's sprung.

Thanks so much everyone for your support and cheers! I go from excited to scared to death, LOL!

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/23/13 08:01 AM

Originally Posted By: arycrest
CONGRATULATIONS AND THANK YOU FOR ADOPTING THIS GIRL!!! thanks

My only suggestion would be to use "Doggles" when your new girl is outside to decrease the risk of eye injuries from her running into something she can't see!!! Not sure if they're needed in the house or not, only you can evaluate that.
http://www.doggoggles.com/?gclid=CNjX7Yr-3rkCFevm7Aodv2cAGQ

Oh these are wayyyy cool! Thanks for pointing me to them!

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/23/13 08:06 AM

Originally Posted By: katieliz
omg, omg, are you getting THIS dog??? i saw her and simply could NOT get her face out of my head, and have been wondering every day about her.

YOU SAW HER????? REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you tell me about what she weighs? What's your age guess for her? She looks like she needs brushing badly, I'm hoping that she's just blowing her coat and nobody brushed her ... what do you think? Anything else you can tell us would be sooooooooo appreciated! I could get so little info out of the shelter making it even more scary. Hubby's going to try to get owner contact info so we can get her vet records but I don't know if they'll release that info or not.

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/23/13 08:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Mary Jane
We often say how lucky a dog is to find that adoptive home-but this girl hit the mega-lottery (or whatever it's called).Mary Jane

Awwww, that's sooo sweet, thank you! smile

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/23/13 08:33 AM

DOGGLES: Which one would you recommend? I'm so tickled with this I can't tell you how much!

Doggles Eyewear

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/23/13 08:34 AM

Is this still happening?

Certainly keep the dogs barricaded apart initially until they were used to each others' smells and felt secure with boundaries. I think.

Yup, it's still happening. Hubby's only about 2.5 hrs away from her right now in Knoxville.

I'm going to get one of those basket muzzles for Riley as a "just in case" precaution.

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/23/13 08:52 AM

Tracerz scent locator stickers:

I found these things called Tracerz for scent locating. Object is to stick them all over your house to give her a path and warn her of potential hazards. I love the idea but these are definitely NOT cost-effective. The cheapest I found them are a 3pk for $18 and you have to replace them every 6mos or so. Not happening, I have a feeling her vet bills might be mind boggling so I'm not going to add to our costs for this. Looking for viable home-made alternatives.

I currently have several Glade plugin type things in a few outlets in the house. I usually use lavender in them. I was thinking I could use a lavender oil spritzed or rubbed on say fabric squares or something. But I don't need oil all over my house either.

I have 40 different Bachs Flowers drops that I haven't used in years but they still have a scent to them. I thought maybe I could use those but they are all different and I don't have any lavender. I can get more but not by 3am Tuesday morning cuz I'd have to order them. They don't seem oily.

I thought of dabbing these masking tape but you know what tape does after awhile frown Cotton balls aren't likely to stay put and then what do I stick them onto things with, ya know?

So -- your thoughts on a home-made version of Tracerz?

I have only this morn to prepare for her homecoming as I have to work half a midnight shift tonight -- taking off the last half as that's when she's due to BE HOME around 3am Tuesday morning. Hubby's driving straight through after he picks her up. I sleep 2nd shift so prep-time is running out.

I'm also thinking of getting three doggie vests embroidered for then to wear when we walk. These would be similar to service dog vests but the letters would be big enough to read from a distance:

Head of Security (Riley)
Diva Dog *or* Assistant Head of Security (Nissa)
I'm Blind but I See with my Heart (new girl)

All will say in smaller letters "Do not approach without permission."

New name possibilities - I just can't deal with Andily as a name, just can't. We will do everything possible we can to help her adjust but that name's just gotta go, LOL!

Annie
Hannah
Gracie
Liberty (Libby)
Freedom

I'm really having a hard time curbing my excitement now!

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/23/13 09:06 AM

Originally Posted By: katieliz
i am always concerned about two bitches living together, likely since i have two who do not tolerate each other.

Believe me, I thought of this. Nissa is pretty darn laid back and prefers to stay away from other dogs - she's a bit afraid of them. She's met several, a little one tried to jump in her face once and she just moved away. Granted, this is HER home and that can make a big difference but I promise to be very careful. New girl will have to be crated when no one can supervise for her own safety. And the other two will be on the other side of a gate so they can't get near the crate.

I'm more concerned about walking 3 big dogs by myself especially since Mr. Head of Security has to do the macho thing when he sees another dog sometimes. Other times he's good but if a stray dog comes near or at us - I could have a real problem on my hands -- bad enough to control two dogs, but three? Now that's scary. I may have to not walk all 3 at once but I'm not fond of that idea either.

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/23/13 11:30 AM

Originally Posted By: FurKids
DOGGLES: Which one would you recommend? I'm so tickled with this I can't tell you how much!

Doggles Eyewear
Kel was NOT totally blind so I bought him two pairs ... one for night use and one for daytime, that way I didn't have to change the lens all the time. For night time use I used the clear lens. For daytime I used the darkest ones they sold ... I don't see either of them on the website ... one was almost black, one was metallic silver.

FWIW ... this happened at least 5 or 6 years ago and if I recall, I called the Doggle company and spoke to their rep, explained Kel's vision problem and I bought what she recommended.

Wishing you my best!!

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/23/13 01:06 PM

I think it will be awhile before you are able to walk three together with all three being okay. Initially, your new girl needs to scope out the lay of the land without the additional stress of the other two around.

Popped in to say I'm thinking about you guys today - hope that all goes well! Be sure to check in, we will be impatient wink

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/23/13 01:11 PM

I would not worry about creating a scent trail with homemade scent balls. Everything in your house already HAS a scent-- to her. Remember, the main traffic areas are heavily marked with family-walks-this-way scent. Like blind people, she'll just gradually form a mental bump 'n crash map when she first moves in. Or, she'll have enough residual vision left to avoid obstacles. She'll adapt to your home. thumbup

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/23/13 01:16 PM

Thanks, Gayle on all counts. I'm thinking of getting the "wrap around" pink ones to help protect her eyes from sharp things in the house, like the slide out tray to my keyboard. Moving the desk over is not an option and the keyboard slider is very near the walk through area and right at about eye level. I can slide it in but being human I might forget and sliding it in also changes things for her and we need to not do that.

I bought some Bounce fabric softener sheets, figure I can rub them on the furniture and whatnot and then I got some of those Command damage free hanging hooks that I can hang where I need them and just tuck a Bounce into it. Much cheaper than the other ways I was thinking of.

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/23/13 01:18 PM

I think it will be awhile before you are able to walk three together with all three being okay. Initially, your new girl needs to scope out the lay of the land without the additional stress of the other two around.

Popped in to say I'm thinking about you guys today - hope that all goes well! Be sure to check in, we will be impatient wink

Awww, thanks Lisa, that's sweet. Joe just called, he's up, heading for breakfast and then Shelby. I should hear from him between 1-2p CST that he's got her.

Everything I do with 3 is going to depend on how well they get along -- or not so it's all up in the air until she's settled in.

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/23/13 01:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Braverhund
I would not worry about creating a scent trail with homemade scent balls. Everything in your house already HAS a scent-- to her. Remember, the main traffic areas are heavily marked with family-walks-this-way scent. Like blind people, she'll just gradually form a mental bump 'n crash map when she first moves in. Or, she'll have enough residual vision left to avoid obstacles. She'll adapt to your home. thumbup

I'm just trying to make the initial learning layout as easy as I can for her. I do have to come up with something for my keyboard slider, she could really hurt herself on that.

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/23/13 01:54 PM

Quote:
FWIW ... this happened at least 5 or 6 years ago and if I recall, I called the Doggle company and spoke to their rep, explained Kel's vision problem and I bought what she recommended. Wishing you my best!!

I'm going to wait to see if she's totally blind or not before I order any. We plan to get her to the vet soon to see if her vision can be restored.

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/23/13 02:22 PM

Deb, I would not get too wrapped around the axle with the doggles. Eventually you might need a pair when she is outside but I don't think right away.

Just let her settle in for several days.

I would recommend with Riley - if you do decide to muzzle him, start ASAP training him to it. We did this with Havoc last year when he was going after the puppy. Turns out he dislikes puppies, once she was past 5 months he was fine with her.

two bitches in the house - may depend on age difference too. My girls get along fine but there is also 9 years between them and May was pup when Kay was an old adult already.

I would gate and crate until you have an idea of how it is going to go. Do be careful with giving sufficient time to Riley and Nissa.

Walking all dogs together - you are braver than me. I only do 2 MAX. I just rotate them around as Kayos is older she does not need to walk as much which is helpful. Initially I would walk new girl alone just short trips in the neighborhood. Then I would add the dog she seems to get along with best for her daily walking companion.

I am not blind and have no experience with blindness but we do not think about stepping off curbs and uneven ground, you might need to make sure you can step off curbs first so she can feel you do that through the leash.

Patti (Braverhund) has some visual issues and I bet she can give you lots of advice on this.

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/23/13 05:33 PM

He's sitting just outside their fence. Says it's a chain link fence with razor stuff along the top. I'm betting that's to keep thieves out.

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/23/13 05:58 PM

He's got her and they're on they're way home! He's crying, says she's extremely underweight. He took some boiled chix with him and gave her a small amount and she's looking for more but we don't want her on a fully tummy not knowing how she'll ride in the car and being so underweight we have to do this slowly. She came right up to him and nuzzled in smile

Now they are saying they have no info on her, she was left in a dump bin outside the building. That's scary - I hope she's good with other dogs like they said.

Her tummy is hanging way down and is hard, don't now what that's from. Over-breeding? Tumor? Her nails are way overly-long.

She's smaller than Riley he believes, even after we get some weight on her he thinks she'll be smaller than him.

She's completely blind but to Joe says it looks like cataracts.

We're putting off any meeting with the other two dogs right. I'll crate them and close the door. She can stay up with me and I will have her crate ready for her for when I have to switch dogs.

Going to call the vet to make an appt.

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/23/13 06:05 PM

Basicly, as blind people are over-sensitive to strong scents, I can just imagine how overwhelming any strong scents would be for a blind dog. That's why I'm gently suggesting avoiding using any strong scents at all. It would be like shouting in her ear, all the time. And she has so much to accustom to in a new home. Bring her softly to places you want her to be aware of-- sharp objects, corners, and the like. Show her what she needs to be aware of in your home.

At one center I go to, blind toddlers tear madly around corners, screeching in delight, following their rapidfire whacking mini white canes. My way of saying: Blind doesn't mean low-energy, gentle, or easy! wink She may be mellow by nature, or she may be a spitfire. If she's a bouncy girl, maybe you could walk her by herself, or with Riley or Nissa at some point if they get along. Maybe with a coupler? You'll know what to try when the time comes, I bet.

I'm thrilled you will be taking her to the vet for visual exam. This is great! You may be able to help her eyesight. Or, to find out if she's actually got some good residual vision, which she may even keep, maybe!

Deb, you are being so thoughtful. I am so hoping this works out perfectly! She is one beautiful girl! wub I hope that she melds perfectly, seamlessly, and that your home is filled with harmony with her blended right in. hugging

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/23/13 06:08 PM

Yay! I'm pleased that he has her. The vet will give her a good exam, and you'll have more info. The very best of luck to you all! crossedfingers

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/23/13 06:16 PM

I hope this tummy thing is just something like worms and not something serious. I don't want her anywhere near my dogs until the vet has seen her and that is at 10:15 tomorrow morn smile

Can someone please tell me, do female dogs who've had puppies ever lose that "nursing look" I see them with? You know where everything hangs down and is loose and wiggly?

Ok, I did NOT put any scents out - none. The Bounce that I bought would be very strong. I'm listening, Patti! smile I like how you put the "like shouting in her hear" explanation - that makes perfect sense to me. Thank you for opening my eyes.

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/23/13 07:12 PM

Deb,

I'm glad that you decided not to use Bounce. There are some toxicities associated with dryer sheets, maybe because some people use them to wipe their dogs. Anyway, Annabell Lee can probably get along with them.

I imagine your house will smell like the Garden of Eden to her. smile

MJ

PS
Joe really has a tender heart.

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/23/13 07:50 PM

Glad she is on her way home. I think she will thrive with some good care.

Hope the eyes are just cataracts and fixable to some degree.

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/23/13 07:50 PM

I don't know about the female nursing thing, but I would think that they do, from looking at ome of the other dogs that have had pups.

So glad she snuggled right in. I agree with MJ, joe has a very tender heart.

So glad she is going HOME hugging

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/23/13 09:23 PM

Deb, you are wonderful! And your hubby, too. hugging Just sayin'! smile
May the tummy thing just be worms. No chance she's preggers, right? wink With the nipply thaang goin' on, too? I hope she settles in and is the perfect match for Riley and Nissa! May this be the start of something beautiful for your family and your new darling! bloomrose

Excellent about not adding artificial scents. She'll quickly learn the layout of the house. Main walkways smell like feet, chairs smell like... well, you know. wink Kitchen and laundry room, bathroom, and bedrooms all have distinctive odors for her. Paws crossed her cataracts, if that's the issue, can be addressed. crossedfingers Sending you all the best luck possible for a great outcome at the vets!

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/23/13 09:39 PM

I'm so happy for this beautiful girl! Deb, your husband is a very special guy - but you already know that... When I read that he was crying over her - well, that just got to me... Hoping that everything goes smoothly and that there are no major health issues. Lots of new things to deal with, but I have every confidence that you will work your way through them! Can't wait to see pics and hear updates!!

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/24/13 01:37 AM

deb, sorry i only "saw" her on a facebook thread, i could have been a bit clearer about that, lol...and when i see you asking about a "hanging tummy", my mind goes somewhere it shouldn't...like...is it even possible she could be preggers?

patti, "chairs smell like, well you know"...you are BAD. in a very good and funny way!

wishing you great success with blending her into your pack. it'll take a good while before you can be totally comfortable that they'll all get along.

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/24/13 02:48 AM

He keeps calling me and trying to prepare me for how bad she is. Get this - he got a urine and poop sample on the road, LOL! Her vet appt is 10:15 tomorrow morn. They should hit Chicago around midnight and home here around 3am.

He says every time he starts to think that he's driving 1800mi round trip only to wind up with a dog that we're only going to have to put down due to medical issues, she amazes him with something that tells him her will to survive is ENORMOUS!

No sign of fleas or ticks thank goodness. Her nails are very long and the more he's with her the more he believes she was a puppy mill Mama. Callouses on elbows and chest and no muscle mass in her legs. I see hydrotherapy in our future.

She's been a dream in the car he says.

I've got chicken boiled and rice cooking now.

Gotta go to work. Soon as I can I will take pics and post.

You guys have been GREAT! Thanks so much for your support and everything else!

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/24/13 03:48 AM

He is doing a great job. I bet she is going to be a star once she gets settled.

Mary Jane posted a link to a shut down protocol that ome use for rescuues: http://germanshepherdhome.net/forum/ubbt...oday#Post282874 There are other good posts in that thread, but later Jean posts some good advice. Maybe there are some ideas in there just to help you with the tranition.

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/24/13 10:45 AM

Can't wait for pics of this very special girl. I have good vibes that with good care she will thrive.

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/24/13 12:49 PM

They got home about 3:30 this morn. OMG this girl is in really bad shape! Remember Courage in CA about 2-3 years ago or so? Well, she's a real close 2nd to his condition. She can walk but she's very wobbly and can only walk for no more than 5min and she lays down. I've never seen a dog this skinny up close and personal, only pics and pics make me wanna cry so you can imagine having my own dog in that condition! I'm betting she needs a good 20lbs on her if not more.

She's obviously recently had puppies, that's what's hanging down and it's not hard really but there is a lump in her chest area, we think it's a callous but we'll leave that up to the vet. Her nails are horrendously long which I'm sure is contributing to her walking problems. Gonna have the vet do some clipping.

She absolutely REEKS! Nasty! But her face is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! She's not a plush coat like Joe thought, at least I don't think so. There isn't a grey hair on her muzzle and she's got a very young dainty face, we honestly don't think she's over about 5yo.

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/24/13 12:56 PM

welcome
Posted By: shepnterrier

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/24/13 01:06 PM

Going the extra mile – 1800 of them! You guys rock. I hope, hope, hope it will be ok. I've driven many just pulled dogs with the car windows open to ease the bad smell. Driving 1800 miles with that gag inducing smell to save the dog, your man is a gem.

HW is my first thought with a neglected dixie dog. Fingers crossed it's at a treatable stage, ifff she has it, and almost all of them do. I am so glad she'll be seen by a vet right away. Awesome work. You prepared so well and thoughtfully, big cudos to you, what a lucky dog she is.

PS Bounce is also highly allergenic. Can trigger asthma in humans and cats and itchies in dogs. So glad Patti gave you advice on limited vision and blindness. What a great group of people.

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/24/13 01:23 PM

Glad she got home okay ... hope her trip to the vet goes well for everyone concerned!!!

Can't even start to say how much I admire you and your DH for giving this girl a home!!!

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/24/13 02:47 PM

thinking of you and sending good energy. your description of her and her "dainty" face is just heartbreaking. when i saw her picture it wasn't apparent that she was as thin as you describe...but that FACE, that face i simply could not get out of my head.
Posted By: Sylv

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/24/13 03:01 PM

I too want to express my admiration for what you and your husband are doing. May the vet visit go well, and not find anything too seriously wrong with her. Can't wait to see the pictures when you are able to post them.

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/24/13 06:52 PM

The picture clearly showed a gorgeous face. Poor thing, I am so glad that she is with you guys. Slow and steady will win the race....

My thoughts are with you guys today. Do take lot of pictures, even if you don't quite feel like posting them yet. A visit to the groomers, or one of those do it yourself bathing places will make all of you feel better?

We are all standing behind you guys for as much support we can give online, can't say how thankful I am that you have this girl. Hope the vet check doesn't bring any surprises.

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/24/13 08:21 PM

Deb, you're doing wonderful things for this girl. goodjob Please remember to take good care of you right now. hugging With her vet appointment and the care she will receive with you, everything is looking up for her now.

Once nice thing you might consider doing for your new girl: Laugh for her, so that she can know that it's okay for HER to laugh (in her own way). I rescued a horse when I was a teen, and he was in shocking, horrific condition. sick It was another rescuer who taught me to keep the mood light for him, no matter how shocking his condition was to me. He had to know that it's okay to be happy now. Your darling girl will pick up on your mood, so it's a gift to share your sunshine with her! cheers

Sending you good vibes that anything and everything positive comes of this vet visit. crossedfingers

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/24/13 09:38 PM

What good advice Patti... laughter.... it is sometimes the best medicine.

Thank you for bringing this girl home and giving her a place. Deb, you and your hubby are gems.

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/24/13 09:53 PM

I agree about the laughter and smiles - very healing, great advice thumbup
Posted By: Karin

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/24/13 11:33 PM

Deb, thank you so much for rescuing this poor, sweet, neglected sweetie. You and your husband are amazing and so compassionate. I remember very well the story of Courage the starved german shepherd who was in such horrible shape. Just out of curiosity, I did a search for him on the web, and here is what he looks like today.

http://ocpets.ocregister.com/2011/04/07/starved-dog-hearing-continued-again/85483

I'm sure that your new girl will have a big transformation as well. I can't tell you how much I admire both of you for taking her in. I hope the examination at the vet went well and I hope that she blends well into your pack.

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/25/13 12:49 AM

no news, i am a little concerned...

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/25/13 01:00 AM

They had a long night. I am hoping that they are just catching up after a long day following that crossedfingers

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/25/13 01:13 AM

I think Deb is probably at work?

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/25/13 02:33 AM

I have heartbreaking news and even now I can't stop crying. Our precious Hannah had diabetes and huge mammary tumors all the way from her chest to her rear end. That's what was hanging down all the way to her knees front to back. She also had hookworms.

IF we could have gotten the diabetes under control (vet said it would be very hard to do and may not happen at all because she was so weak) she would have had to wait at least a year to do the tumor surgery and maybe longer because of her weak condition all the while the cancer would have been spreading. Vet said the surgery likely would kill her if the cancer didn't. She told us this is a very hard surgery even on a healthy dog but her body was so compromised that she just felt she wouldn't make it.

We stayed with her crying like babies holding and kissing her and telling her we loved her while the vet sent her to Rainbow Bridge. She will come home next week and take her place next to our three Yorkie urns with the angel I have sitting there watching over them.

She was ours for just a few hours but she wiggled right into our hearts. We didn't want to let her go but she would have continued to suffer.

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/25/13 02:52 AM

OMG, I am so very sorry Deb, this is terrible news, just terrible.

I am crying with you, it is so unfair, she should have had such a different life.

I am so glad that she knew love in the end, and she has you two to thank for that. You two did a good thing, a great thing, and the love that she left with was probably more than she knew in a very long time, if ever. But I know how difficult this must be for you.

I wish there were something I could say to make this better for you, but I know there isn't.

I hear stories of dogs in such terrible shape, and I lose such faith in people. And what keeps this world going, and what is its savior perhaps, are the people in the world like you and your DH.

I will be thinking of you guys, all of you, including your dear Hannah, who was yours for much too short a time teary

hugging hugging hugging hugging hugging hugging

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/25/13 03:12 AM

to provide comforting arms, kisses and love when they leave for the bridge is the ultimate gift. i am so sorry. bless her heart. and many blessings to you and your husband. thank you so much for helping her.

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/25/13 04:51 AM

Oh, Deb, I am so sorry. Thank you and DH so much for showing this dog love. You gave her the ultimate give. Sending all good thoughts your way. hugging

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/25/13 04:56 AM

grouphug hugging grouphug
I'm so sorry, how sad!!! I'm glad that Hannah was with people who loved her even if that relationship was for such a short time.

rip Rest in peace sweet Hannah

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/25/13 09:01 AM

teary hugging hugging I am so very, very sorry Deb. I wish I had some words to help but bless you for what you have done for her hugging

Run free sweet Hannah butterfly
Posted By: Sylv

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/25/13 10:42 AM

I am so sorry! Thank you both for showing her what love is, even if only at the end.
Posted By: PositiveDog

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/25/13 10:48 AM

I am so sorry.

Hannah's last memories will be of the ride with your husband, getting special foods and attention - and the love of you both as you gave her the only help you could.

RIP, Hannah. You were loved. gsdhalo

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/25/13 12:26 PM

Originally Posted By: FurKids

She was ours for just a few hours but she wiggled right into our hearts.

You and your husband gave Hannah the happiest hours of her life. Your broken hearts are proof positive of the extent of your love and compassion. You also gave everyone who knew Hannah's story a glimpse of true human kindness.

I'm so very sorry,

Mary Jane

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/25/13 12:29 PM

Oh no........

I am so sorry! Poor you. Poor Hannah. At least she was loved at the end. Thank you for giving her that. hugging

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/25/13 01:24 PM

hugging I'm so sorry Deb. You gave this girl a loved, comforted, and snuggled send-off. She knew love and appreciation, tenderness and caring at the end of her journey. Thank you for easing her transition and passing. I am so sorry for your pain. She was so lucky to have been yours for that time. hugging
Posted By: Schnickle Fritz

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/25/13 04:26 PM

I am so very sorry ..

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/25/13 06:19 PM

I am so sorry, Deb and your DH. I looked up the county pound, it's on a list of counties that still use gas to end the dogs' lives. You gave her comfort and loving care, and you saved her from suffocating in a gas chamber. Both are huge. hugging

http://www.freewebs.com/ncche/shelterlist.htm
http://www.freewebs.com/ncche/
NC Coalition for Humane Euthanasia

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/26/13 04:47 PM

Why is it that all the love, hugs and kisses don't seem like enough? Hubby and I spent about an hour on the phone together this morning crying our eyes out. We'd both also cried all night long. It's just SO FREAKING WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!! We are having so much trouble with her loss, more than when our Yorkies left us because at 14, 15 and 16 it was time and we knew that. We cried yes, but they got to live a whole lifetime. We are both soooooooo angry!!! and our hearts hurt so bad. I'm not looking for sympathy, I guess I just need to talk this through. We can't make sense of it.

Did I tell you that after she was gone I was looking at her picture the next morning and I don't for the life of me understand why I didn't see this before ... her AC tag # is the same as our address ... 812. If I mentioned this before just ignore it. I'm not thinking straight, can't concentrate ever since she left us.

Did I tell you she was only 5 maybe 6 at the most?

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/26/13 05:19 PM

The unfairness of it all is tragic frown

Just stopping by to let you know I've been thinking about her and you guys. I hope omehow you will all meet again somehow, seem like you were upposed to be there for her.

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/26/13 05:56 PM

Tragedy is not a word to use lightly, but if anything is a tragedy this is.

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/27/13 05:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Mary Jane
Tragedy is not a word to use lightly, but if anything is a tragedy this is.

I agree, it is for us anyway.

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/27/13 05:37 PM

The unfairness of it all is tragic frown

Just stopping by to let you know I've been thinking about her and you guys. I hope omehow you will all meet again somehow, seem like you were upposed to be there for her.

Thank you, Lisa. We finally just now took her crate down and put it away. I picked up all her fur that I pulled off when she was in the back yard. Her coat was horrendous. I'm going to put that with her urn when we get her ashes back.

We talked about taking her ashes and letting them blow over the field where I take the other two. With the callouses on her elbows and chest we feel she was kept in a crate or something hard, confined probably all her life. The thought of setting her completely free is something we're thinking about doing. But then since it sure seems like she was supposed to be here with us maybe keeping the ashes with the Yorkies by my desk is the way to go. I don't know. I guess we'll make that decision after we get her ashes back.

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/28/13 07:00 AM

I don't know about the ashes. You could always spread part and keep the rest with you. Difficult decisions.

One of the few things I could tell from her picture was that her coat was a mess frown

I hope that you guys are starting to recover a little bit, I have to think that there is that initial shock to recover from and now the reality sets in a bit more hugging

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/28/13 11:13 AM

I think Joe's doing a little better but I have this literal rage inside me that won't quit. I feel like we are no better than the people who threw her away like so much garbage in NC. I seriously beat up my my mattress today and that didn't even help.

Yes, her coat was horribly bad but my hair would be bad, too, if I was starved, had diabetes, worms, and cancer tumors the size of cantaloupes.

She died hungry because the worms got all her food. She must have never felt full even after I fed her twice in 5 hours.

Tonight I realized what I was seeing when she peed and I saw "sprinkles" bouncing off her between her back legs. She peed RIVERS but long time in between. I've never seen a dog pee for so long and so much every time she did, which was not often. That rear tumor ... she was having to pee on that because it was so big and in the way. Can you imagine the pain of peeing on your skin constantly? No wonder she waited so long between potty breaks.

Every time I close my eyes she's there. I must sound like a real drama queen and I honestly don't mean to sound dramatic. I just have never ever in my life felt soooooooo bad, sad and freaking stark raving MAD about having euthanized a dog. NOT EVER and it's not like this is the first time I've ever had to do this. Every other dog had lived a long full life, it was their time. I was sad, I cried, I still cry over them now and then and I still miss them, but all of them combined is easier to handle than this one.

I have so much anger at me that I don't have an ounce left to direct towards whoever had her, treated her the way they did and dumped her in NC. I should be mad at the woman at AC who lied to us about her condition and her background and I have no energy to be mad at her, either.
Posted By: JakodaCD OA

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/28/13 12:18 PM

I am soooo very sorry:( read thru this and shock:(

I would be angry to, but not at myself, at the people who let her get in this condition..I think I'd be rather angry at the shelter/rescue whomever had her, to not even realize that she was so sick:(

I would contact them and tell them the outcome:( Hugs to you all, you did save her from suffering one more day.

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/28/13 01:37 PM

Our goal was to stop her suffering AND give her a good, safe, comfortable life, not end her life to end her suffering. I just think she felt like garbage, like nobody wanted her so we ALL threw her away and that's sooooooooooooooo NOT TRUE! But it would have taken probably 2 more years and putting her through soooooooo much to get better, especially the tumor surgery.

I wanted her to get better like Courage did, but Joe reminded me that Courage did not have diabetes, worms and those horrific tumors that got peed on every time she peed and burned her skin. He went through living hell and came out of it all. I wanted that sooooo much for her. She deserved so much better than she got. If you could have met this sweet gentle thing ... I've never ever in my life met a dog that was so gentle.

And people wonder why I feel there is no God. No good God would allow the kind of horror and suffering this poor girl, others like her, all animal cruelty, children beatings, innocent people being raped, killed, tortured, blown up, you name it.

I don't know if I believe in all these abstract things, I can't grasp it. Rainbow Bridge, Heaven and all of those kinds of things. They're all beautiful thoughts but I go to "these are just things people make themselves believe to make themselves feel better -- they really don't exist." Dead is permanently cold and hard.

I'm just all so messed up I don't know what to believe and what not to believe other than this rage that is tormenting me. No dog deserves what she had for a life.

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/28/13 02:02 PM

Compassion, release, and kindness must have been her lessons that Hannah gifted us with. I can think of no more wondrous, lasting legacy.

She didn't need an arduous journey of surgeries, treatments, and being present in the moment in an ailing body. She needed blessed, compassionate release from suffering. At the right time, you were there, and gifted Hannah with exactly what she needed.

Hannah accepted your gift, peacesign and gave you hers, Deb. hugging

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/28/13 02:48 PM

Deb, here is a hugging

“Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight.” Albert Schweitzer
You didn't spare yourself. And you didn't just look, you went in hands on. Kudos to you. It is hard b/c when we cannot save a life, it can make us feel powerless. Feeling powerless can lead to rage.

Please do not be discouraged. You have agency, you took action and you can do it again. That you didn't have the power to heal this sweet dog, doesn't mean you are powerless. You can continue making a difference.

With long distance rescue, over the years many people have concluded that the most sustainable approach is for a group to establish a good working relationship with one or two source shelters and local rescuers, where people at both ends agree on procedures of behavioral and medical evaluation, and a dog is treated by a vet before transport. For individuals helping on their own, that's out of reach, it takes a group. Been there, done it. No regrets, but it's not something I could do in the long run. It takes a village.

It is easier on rescuers both emotionally and financially to be part of an experienced and kind rescue group team where members support each other with knowledge, hands-on experience, and compassion. Any chance there is such a group near you? It might take contacting several groups to find the best fit for you and your DH. There are dogs in need in your area, too.

There is so much injustice and suffering in the world, for humans and for animals. Encountering it can make you feel powerless but we aren't. We don't have the power to prevent all suffering. But we do have it in our hands to do what we can, and to find a way where we can make the most difference.

Thank you again for doing what you did to help this sweet dog, and for giving her love and kindness. You DID make a difference for her.

grouphug

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/28/13 03:47 PM

For now hugging

Trying to get out the door for training right now, all ort of thoughts I'd like to say. I'm just very sorry...

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/28/13 06:01 PM

Sarah ... you make a lot of sense where I'm having trouble making sense of anything at all. Thank you.

I think part of my problem is that this was *real* it happened in *my* life in my house, making it more personal than seeing pictures of a dog in her condition hundreds or thousands of miles away that I cry my heart out for, make a donation, keep checking back on how the dog's doing and voice my outrage on some forum boards or blog somewhere. This was my first time up close and personal with a dog in Hannah's horrific condition. My husband tried several times to prepare me while they were driving home and when they arrived I was sad for her but it didn't "grab" me. There was work to do and I just set in loving on her and feeding her cuz she was so starved (small meals). I didn't really take it all in I don't think. I was just so happy she was home and safe.

We can't save them all, I just wanted to save this one for now. You are also right, Sarah, powerless is a good word for how I feel. When I'm powerless I'm usually angry.

Thank you for starting to help me make sense of this. I can't say we'll never do this again but if we do, I hope we have a better outcome than this. Maybe I'll be better prepared.

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/28/13 06:04 PM

Compassion, release, and kindness must have been her lessons that Hannah gifted us with. I can think of no more wondrous, lasting legacy.

She didn't need an arduous journey of surgeries, treatments, and being present in the moment in an ailing body. She needed blessed, compassionate release from suffering. At the right time, you were there, and gifted Hannah with exactly what she needed.

This is beautiful. I'm going to try to remember this when I try to go to sleep today. Thank you, Patti.
Posted By: Wisc.Tiger_Val

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/28/13 06:37 PM

Deb, I am so sorry. But the sweet gal was with caring people when she left this world. She has stolen a piece of your heart and will watch over you.
Posted By: MSD

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/28/13 07:36 PM

FurKids—

Some little ones come into this world under bad circumstances. Although, for whatever reason, they have no future here, yet it is not their time to leave. So God places them with someone with an abundance of love and compassion — someone that can hold His creature in their hands until it was her time to pass into His. So always remember that you were chosen for this task for a reason — God knew that you were the one person that could fill this particular dog’s needs in this world until it was time for her to go Home. You have done your job. Mourn the briefness of her life with you, but rejoice in the time you had with God's wonderful creature, and the faith that God had in you when He entrusted her short life to you. ms

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/29/13 06:31 PM

All the words I was thinking before don't seem to be so important right now.

Rescue is hard, and people that do it have all of my respect, for these reasons and more. I am sure that she understood that *you* did not throw her away, because she felt the love and care and compassion, of which she had not known. I would be feeling the same way as you right now...

I think there. Can be differences in believing there is a God, versus believing in Spirit and Energy, but I agree that the Rainbow Bridge is made up to make us feel better, but it's also a metaphor for the variety of belief systems out there...I've never been much into the), but I believe in Spirit and Energy...

I don't know if writing a letter to the shelter would help you or not. If it would, since it's something you can actually do, then I would think about doing it. I hope that the anger soon morphs as you go through these next stages, but I hope that you will find a way to place the anger, or use it positively. Please do not direct it towards yourself, it does not belong there. Those tumors were very very bad and eating her up frown

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/30/13 06:33 AM

Oh Deb, my heart is breaking for you and poor sweet Hannah. I wish I was good with words but I am sending you so many hugging hugging hugging

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 09/30/13 12:22 PM

Thank you everyone so much for being here for me. I have no one to talk to except my 2 furkids all day long unless hubby calls. He usually does every day, sometimes multiple times but it's not quite the same as being able to talk when I need to talk. I don't call him because he may be sleeping. You people are always here for me and for that I'm so grateful.

I thought of going to another vet, just to talk to him/her. Present what we were presented with and ask "What would be your words? Your recommendation?" I haven't done that yet and now I don't think I need to. I just looked up info on mammary cancer in dogs. I read 3 different articles and they all said pretty much the same thing.

It's starting to sink in that Hannah would not have survived the surgery, she may not even have made it to the point of being able to go into surgery because of her diabetes. These articles all talked of dogs with tumors like an inch or less in size where there's at least a big enough chance of recovery to move forward. Hannah's tumors were enormous. That back one was big as a cantaloup and they went all the way up to her chest, most the size of your fist at least. They all talked about otherwise healthy dogs and their chances. Hannah had diabetes which would make her recovery more difficult. She would have had to have chemo afterwards and we all know how sick someone on chemo gets.

All of this would have taken years of her going through more probably daily hell. I'm still fighting with "Did we do the right thing?" but having read what I just did I think I can now move towards the direction of "Yes." I don't know how long it will take me to get there, but it helped to learn what I learned the last half hour or so.

I'm going to try to believe that the woman who lied to us at AC saw Hannah and didn't want her to die by gassing so she lied in the hopes someone would take her and at least give her a painless exit and some love before she left.

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 10/01/13 08:02 AM

I think you have a wonderful way of looking at this all Deb, ultimately you were there for Hannah when nobody else was hugging hugging

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 10/01/13 09:59 PM

This is one of the most beautiful sentiments I've ever read - but no surprise since it came from Patti who has incredible insight. Deb, I know this had to make you feel better - along with all of the other beautiful sentiments written by others. Such a terrible shock. I am so very sorry for the loss of Hannah. But I hang onto to the fact that she was with you and Joe when her time came. She received so much love in the time she was with you - I believe with all my heart that she knew that and was at peace. She finally found her home. Hugs to you both - this was an amazing and selfless thing you both did...

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 10/01/13 10:16 PM

I'm really glad that you looked into the tumors more. I think it helps to understand the reality of what she was facing.

I would like to think the same of the AC woman too - it make me feel better to believe that.
Posted By: Wisc.Tiger_Val

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 10/01/13 11:30 PM

Deb that poor sole had the deck stacked against her. Too many health problems all heaped on her.

Maybe the shelter person just wanted to let her have what ever days she had left in a loving home.

I hope your heart isn't so crushed that you won't try to help another sole in the future.
Posted By: Karin

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 10/05/13 06:24 AM

I just now read this and am so very sorry to hear what happened with Hannah. This is just heartbreaking. But Hannah's last days on this earth were filled with love and care and attention. You and your husband have my heartfelt sympathy. You are all in my thoughts tonight. hugging

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 10/05/13 06:54 PM

We brought Hannah home this morning. She is sitting next to Damien, Katy and Crocket with the angel statue I have sitting amongst them watching over them.

This may be selfish, but right now I cannot sprinkle her ashes so unless I change my mind one day, she will stay with us here in our house forever. She has an engraved plaque on the top that says Hannah and under that "We Love You"

Sometimes I think letting her ashes blow over the field so she's no longer confined is the right thing to do, but I just can't at least right now. I'm stuck on her tag number 812 which is the same as our address meaning that she belongs here with us. Right now, I just can't bear to let go of her again. Since I'm so torn over this, I'm going to do nothing but leave her where she is for now.

Val: I go back and forth on rescuing another dog. When husband came home from the road yesterday his first question was "Do you have another rescue lined up?" I about dropped my teeth, I hadn't even told him I'd been looking. I didn't ask him but I think he'd like me to find one.

Do we *need* another dog? No. Do we *want* another dog? Yes. I'd have a dozen if I could smile Do I feel right in helping another dog in honor of Hannah? Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

I wasn't looking for another dog when Hannah picked us ... and yes, I believe she did. Maybe I'm too superstitious but there just seems too many things pointing in that direction for me to ignore.

I see soooo many dogs posted that are in horrific shape from abuse and neglect and are now recovering and I get angry all over again thinking "Why couldn't that have been Hannah?"

The bottom line is, if there is ever another dog that finds me or Joe, there is no question .. we would do it again.

Our furkids never got to meet her, she was in too delicate condition for any meet and greets and we had to make sure she didn't have anything contagious anyway. They saw her over one gate, a room's length and then another gate so they never got closer than about 12 feet away from one another. Riley amazed us, he barked but it wasn't a threatening bark and not one hair stood up on the back of his neck, not one single hair and his tail was wagging whenever he looked at her smile We really believe eventually when we could put them together that Hannah would have been an absolute perfect "job" for him to watch over her, be her eyes and helper. We believe our Big Bad Boy would have done us proud smile

Thank you all again for sticking with me throughout all of this and for all your kindness and compassion.

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 10/05/13 11:42 PM

I don't think it's selfish at all, I think that you honor her, and have given her a loving place.

It also sounds like you and Joe seem to be moving in the same direction, though I'm sure it's a process that takes some time. I have the utmost respect for that.

It also sounds like Riley would have done great wub

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 10/06/13 04:55 PM

Yeah, it does, doesn't i? smile Thanks for not thinking of me as selfish smile

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 10/07/13 03:00 AM

smile

hugging

Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? - 10/07/13 08:19 AM

Deb I think the last thing you are is selfish hugging hugging I'm pleased she is home now hugging
© 2018 GermanShepherdHome.net