GermanShepherdHome.net

Caleb Moose - Run Free

Posted By: Woodreb

Caleb Moose - Run Free - 05/14/22 01:36 AM

I said in another thread that Caleb was having problems with DM and we also recently found he had a large tumor on his rear end. Unfortunately for us, that tumor was pretty aggressive. He was becoming increasing uncomfortable for day to day. And the mass bled a couple of times when he would sit or fall on his butt. The other night he had a particularly bad bleed and DH and I made the hard decision to let him go. He crossed the bridge about noon today. RIP my sweet boy - yes there were times you were a handful, but you were still my sweet boy. And I think we did a pretty good job of spoiling him this past week - just wish this hadn't happened so fast.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Shilohsmom

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free - 05/14/22 02:57 AM

Can these times get any worse??? Oh Johanna, I'm crying. What tremendous loss. I'm so very sorry hugging I had so wished you had more time, but there is never enough time. I think you did a great job at spoiling him not only this past week, but his entire life. He was so loved and will remain in our hearts forever.

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free - 05/14/22 03:59 AM

teary
Posted By: Mary Jane

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free - 05/14/22 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Shilohsmom
...... there is never enough time. ...

Caleb lived a great life with you-a dog's dream life. -the only thing better would be more time.

I am deeply sorry,
Mary Jane
Posted By: jarn

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free - 05/14/22 08:47 PM

Rest in Peace Caleb. You were loved by many and loved in return.

Johanna, I'm so sorry. It's clear from everything you've ever said how amazing Caleb was and that he was a larger than life figure. If it feels okay, of course, keep sharing stories with us, I know Caleb tales always bring a smile to my face.

hugging

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free - 05/14/22 09:05 PM

That's a great idea Jenn. Please Johanna, write as much as you'd like about your boy. I know when mine have passed I've come here and written until I couldn't write anymore. And it helped. I don't know where I'd be if not for these boards. And we always have enjoyed stories about Caleb. hugging
Posted By: Zisso

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free - 05/14/22 10:17 PM

My heart breaks for you Johanna! It is so hard to let them go, and it seems doubly hard when it happens so fast, in my opinion. Cherish the memories and know you were the perfect mom for him. RIP sweet Caleb!
Posted By: SeanRescueMom

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free - 05/14/22 11:09 PM

Johanna, my heartfelt sympathies go out to your hubby and you. I hope Ciara is doing okay under the circumstances. Please let us know how she's handling the loss of Caleb. He is at the Bridge with all our other dogs who have gone before him. RIP sweet angel. angel

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free - 05/15/22 12:36 AM

Thank you, everyone.

Ciara seems to be OK for the most part. But that being said, she was behaving a little odd today. I took her out to play a little Chuck-it, which is her favorite thing in the whole wide room to do with me. She retrieved the ball a couple of times and then she would go out for it, stop and smell the grass where the ball was and not pick it up. When I told her to get it and bring it back, she would pick it up and bring it back and made it clear to me she didn't want to play anymore. I don't know if it was too hot for her or what.

Last night, DH took a GSD statue I have (dog laying down with it's head up) and put it on Caleb's pillow. Ciara promptly got up and went over to sniff it and looked it over intently. DH thought it kind of weirded her out.

My day was so-so. I got some stuff done in the shop, but my heart wasn't in it. And every time I would look out in the front yard, I found myself expecting to see him exploring in the yard. So I stopped looking there and mostly looked out the back, where the dogs didn't usually hang out.
Posted By: middleofnowhere

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free - 05/15/22 04:28 AM

Ah Johanna,
I am so sorry. I expected you to have a few months, not just a few days. That boy had a wonderful life with you.

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free - 05/15/22 01:05 PM

Middle - when we talked to the vet, she was talking in terms of "weeks" after finding the tumor. We were certainly hoping for more than a week, but we did not want him to be in severe pain or anything because we were not ready to let him go.

He left eating treats from our hands right up until the sedative took full effect. I don't think Caleb ever met a treat he didn't like.
Posted By: Islandgsds

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free - 05/16/22 03:46 AM

I've had a busy week this week and just now got on here. Johanna, I can't convey how sorry I am for your sudden loss of Caleb.
I'm trying yo write this through my tears. Ha was such a beautiful boy and I'm sure there will be a big gap in all of your lives for some time.
Please feel free to write about his escapades from times gone past. I always meant to write more after loosing Loki, but my tears would come and I just could bring myself to write it down.
Many hugs to Cierra and the rest of you. gsdhalo paw

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free - 05/16/22 06:48 PM

Well, on a good note - I got a game of Chuck-it in with Ciara today. She was a lot more engaged than she was Saturday and Sunday. The funny thing - I was standing kind of close to the lilac bush, which Caleb enjoyed laying under as it was shady and he could see towards the road and towards the vegetable garden area, she would not come all the way back to me there. Kept dropping her ball near the brick path to the porch door. Once I moved over there to get her ball, all was good and she was bringing the ball all the back to me. It was a short session, but basically more normal for her.

On the things that I miss - DH usually gets up before me, shuts the bedroom door and lets me sleep in a bit, and lets the dogs out. The 2 dogs would hang out near the bedroom door, waiting for me to get up. Caleb would always greet me with yodels and little barks, like he hadn't seen me in weeks (rather than maybe 1/2 hour). He would have to be greeted with a good chest scratching and pets, then I would go get breakfast for the dogs. Of course, that meant coming with me and watching my every move while I got things ready for them. I miss that morning greeting from him. Today, I actually got a little bit of that greeting from Ciara. Maybe he's been talking to her???

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free - 05/16/22 10:16 PM

Ciara is such a sweetheart stepping in for Caleb with the greetings. Aww. It sounds like she's adjusting to - that's always one of our big worries when we lose someone. She is still holding Caleb's bush in her heart.

...wandering off to blink and sniff a bunch...

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free - 05/17/22 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Woodreb
Well, on a good note - I got a game of Chuck-it in with Ciara today. She was a lot more engaged than she was Saturday and Sunday. The funny thing - I was standing kind of close to the lilac bush, which Caleb enjoyed laying under as it was shady and he could see towards the road and towards the vegetable garden area, she would not come all the way back to me there. Kept dropping her ball near the brick path to the porch door. Once I moved over there to get her ball, all was good and she was bringing the ball all the back to me. It was a short session, but basically more normal for her.

On the things that I miss - DH usually gets up before me, shuts the bedroom door and lets me sleep in a bit, and lets the dogs out. The 2 dogs would hang out near the bedroom door, waiting for me to get up. Caleb would always greet me with yodels and little barks, like he hadn't seen me in weeks (rather than maybe 1/2 hour). He would have to be greeted with a good chest scratching and pets, then I would go get breakfast for the dogs. Of course, that meant coming with me and watching my every move while I got things ready for them. I miss that morning greeting from him. Today, I actually got a little bit of that greeting from Ciara. Maybe he's been talking to her???

I'm glad to hear Ciara felt more like playing today. These are hard times for everyone. There's so many special little things our pets do for us that give us joy. I can just picture Caleb greeting you with yodels and little barks. I'm thinking Ciara will step up to the plate and start a special greeting for Mom every morning.

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free - 05/17/22 03:18 PM

Dogs can be small miracles. I imagine that your household will create a new morning routine, it sounds like Ciara is doing her part.

If/when you feel like it, I would love to know how Caleb acquired his name as Moose.

take care,
MJ

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free - 05/17/22 10:14 PM

I'm glad not only for Ciara but also for you about a game of Chuck-it. It helps heal the loss of Caleb just a little and gives Ciara one-on-one special attention. Anytime, any place you would like to post some memories of Caleb we're all ears. gsdhalo

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free - 05/17/22 11:55 PM

MJ,

I had to ask DH why we gave him that nickname, as I wasn't completely sure. To me I thought it was because he was definitely a "bigger than life" type of dog. DH says it had more to do with his bark as a young dog - it was a really deep bark for a young dog and DH started to call him Moose when he barked. It was a bit of a scary bark, being so deep and would kind of scare the kids in the neighborhood. That in itself is funny, because Caleb absolutely adored little kids and the bark was a much excitement at seeing them, rather than trying to be a big scary German Shepherd.

Kind of reminds me of one of Eli's first birthday parties. We'd come up to the kids house for the party, but decided to stay at a local hotel and leave the dogs in their kennels at the hotel while we were at the party. I remember DH seeing all the little kids running around and saying that it was a good thing we had left Caleb at the hotel. He would have been beside himself with excitement at seeing all those kids and wanting to play with them all. I think he was just a couple of years old at the time.

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free - 05/18/22 12:05 AM

SRM,

Caleb and Chuck-it - he liked to play fetch when he was young, but you had to "two ball" him so he would drop the ball. As he got older, he decided that keep away with the ball was much more fun for him. He would bring the ball back and chew on it a bit. Then drop it on the ground and look at you, like OK here's the ball. The minute I would go to pick up the ball with the launcher, he'd grab it off the ground with a little sly look like - fooled you, I'm not ready for another toss.

I think Caleb's absolute favorite game was tug.

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free - 05/18/22 12:21 AM

SRM, Caleb and Chuck-it - he liked to play fetch when he was young, but you had to "two ball" him so he would drop the ball. As he got older, he decided that keep away with the ball was much more fun for him. He would bring the ball back and chew on it a bit. Then drop it on the ground and look at you, like OK here's the ball. The minute I would go to pick up the ball with the launcher, he'd grab it off the ground with a little sly look like - fooled you, I'm not ready for another toss..

Caleb knew exactly what he was doing. He was a sweet but smart guy. Actually Sean did something similar - DH and I would play monkey in the middle with him and when he dropped the ball, then picked it up he'd take off running as if to say, "hey guys, aren't you going to chase me?"

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free - 05/18/22 12:31 AM

Aww Caleb and the kids...shucks.

Agis does something similar with the ball and launcher.

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free - 05/19/22 12:53 AM

SRM,

Caleb and Chuck-it - he liked to play fetch when he was young, but you had to "two ball" him so he would drop the ball. As he got older, he decided that keep away with the ball was much more fun for him. He would bring the ball back and chew on it a bit. Then drop it on the ground and look at you, like OK here's the ball. The minute I would go to pick up the ball with the launcher, he'd grab it off the ground with a little sly look like - fooled you, I'm not ready for another toss.

I think Caleb's absolute favorite game was tug.

Kody does the same thing with the ball. He'll drop it and look at me kinda challenging me to come get it. But as soon as I get too close he snatches it up and primes it a little longer. I just adore his sense of humor. Just like Caleb. He was a special pup that's for sure.

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free - 05/27/22 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by SeanRescueMom

Caleb knew exactly what he was doing. He was a sweet but smart guy. Actually Sean did something similar - DH and I would play monkey in the middle with him and when he dropped the ball, then picked it up he'd take off running as if to say, "hey guys, aren't you going to chase me?"

Caleb certainly was a smart boy. During the past month he was having more trouble walking in the house - wood floors, linoleum and dogs with DM or any kind of mobility problems really don't mix. We picked up a few cheap, non-slip rugs to help him get to the kitchen for mealtimes. It took no time at all for him to figure out that if he stayed on the rugs it was easier to walk to the kitchen. What we didn't do at the time was get enough to create a path from the water bowl out to the dining room along the front hallway. He went to get a drink after breakfast and I was watching him. I could almost see the wheels turning in his head looking across the stretch of wood floor and thinking "I don't know if I can make it from here to the rug over there. I'll have to go really fast to get to the rug as soon as possible." That's exactly what he did, although going fast resulted in him slipping on the floor. DH went out and got more rugs to covered that stretch of flooring, too.

I 've been seeing a turkey out eating in the back field ever other day or so for the past 2 weeks. It makes me remember how intently Caleb would watch the turkeys when he saw them in the field. Ciara has no interest in watching the turkeys. She runs and looks for a ball when I tell her there are turkeys out there.

We brought his ashes home yesterday and now he's sitting on the mantel. Somewhere in a box in the attic are the urns for Max, Kelly, Rica and Aodhán. We're going to get all of them together and scatter the ashes around the dogwood trees that DH planted this year. Caleb may still end up under his apple tree or the lilac, I'm not sure just yet.

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free - 05/29/22 06:05 PM

I'm glad you have Caleb back.

I like the idea of his apple tree or the lilac. It seems fitting.

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free - 06/11/22 12:45 AM

Just wanted to check in to see how Ciera is doing with Calebs loss?

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free - 06/11/22 02:12 AM

Rosa, Ciara's seems to be a little "off". For the most part she seems OK, even frisky in the morning after breakfast. But I've taken her out to play Chuckit several times and she will run after the ball once or twice and then looks at me like "do you want me to bring it back?" She'll bring it back part way and drop it. (If it were Caleb, I'd say now we're playing keep away.) I tell her to bring it back and she does, but 3-4 throws and she drops the ball and acts like she's had enough. She's getting extra attention and DH has taken her for a bunch of walks in the woods and says she seems fine on the walks. I've been too busy with the cabinets (we're getting closer to the time our contractor said he'd be starting the renovations) to get away for a walk. So I've been trying the fetch and that has always been her favorite thing to do with me, ever since she was a puppy. Like I said, she acts as if she wants to play, but it just seems off and she's only been doing this since Caleb's been gone. It's weird.

We have been talking to the breeder we got Ciara from about getting a puppy. We both miss Caleb and we think it will be good for Ciara, too. I do think she misses him. The breeder has one dog who just had a small litter the end of May (4 pups) and has one other dog due sometime next week. I don't know exactly how long her wait list is, but we're hoping that perhaps a pup from the litter due next week will be available. We started saying we wanted a male and the breeder said she has more people that want males rather than females. DH and I talked it over and decided we'd be fine with a female, so it may be we have a chance. I'd take one from the smaller litter, too but I don't know yet if they are all spoken for.

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free - 06/11/22 09:24 PM

Johanna, you people are so reasoned about your loss and Miss Ciara, and how your house could welcome another dog. Myself, I am never so reasoned.

I hope your family can find the right new member. What can I say-we need them.

MJ

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free - 06/11/22 10:34 PM

I think a pup would be perfect for Ciara (and everyone). It has to be hard on them when their lifelong friend is gone. Kody bear experienced way too much loss when he was young and it really effected him. Please keep us posted. We soooo need another pup on the boards.

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free - 06/11/22 11:04 PM

MJ, My heart hasn't felt as heavy with loss the past week. But that doesn't mean I don't miss Caleb.

I went for a little walk this afternoon with Ciara and DH, just down to the river and to look at the new bushes DH has put in near the edge of the woods. I told him the last time I walked down to the river, I had both dogs with me, even though Caleb was slower than he used to be. So, I do miss him.

DH unearthed a big stuffed German Shepherd that Tyler used to sleep with in his bed when he was little. He called it "Big Rica" - in memory of one of our other dogs we had when he was little. DH brought it downstairs from the attic and it's been sitting on Caleb's pillow in the living room. Every now and then I catch the "dog" laying there on the pillow out of the corner of my eye and my mind thinks it is Caleb laying there.

A new puppy will go a long way towards filling the hole in my heart and DH's. He's really looking forward to having a little yappy puppy in the house to train and keep us all company.

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free - 06/12/22 12:24 AM

I so hope you can get in on next weeks litter crossedfingers

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free - 06/12/22 04:26 PM

I sincerely hope whichever litter you get a puppy from it will be the best fit for your family and Ciara. I'm waiting with suspense and look forward to your updates. gsdsit

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free - 06/13/22 03:13 PM

I like your plans Johanna - both for the ashes and for a pup. I still have some of the ashes of the first dog I had cremated. four other sets of ashes wait, too. You've got a lovely location picked.

The right pup will come to you, too. I've found there is a sort of legacy/conspiracy going on with dogs. The right one - almost with Caleb's blessing ... they seem to know.

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free - 06/13/22 10:15 PM

I hope you find a pup, middle's right though, the right pup will come. I think it sounds like a really nice pick me up for everyone.

Is Ciara good with other females?

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free - 06/14/22 12:15 AM

Ciara hasn't been around many other dogs lately, but is generally fine with any new dog she's met when a neighbor is out walking a dog.

She met my friend's female Aussie when she was a puppy and was fine then. The big thing in her favor is that she isn't a very dominant dog, so I think that will work out in choosing a new puppy. And it may work out better for her than a new male. She was always fine with Caleb, but did not really like other males sniffing her rear and such - at least she didn't like my girlfriend's male Aussie doing that.

DH at first wanted another male because he "didn't want to be the only male in the house". I asked him what about Bentley (the grandson's cat who is living with us for the next 10 years or more). He said Bentley is a cat - he doesn't count. rofl I know he was just kidding.

We'll see how things go in the next few weeks. The litter the breeder is expecting this week was due today, but that could mean today or the next day or two.

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free - 06/14/22 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by SeanRescueMom
I sincerely hope whichever litter you get a puppy from it will be the best fit for your family and Ciara. I'm waiting with suspense and look forward to your updates. gsdsit

X2

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free - 06/14/22 12:30 PM

Heh, Johanna, one reason why one of our cats is female (not really, but) is because I said 'I'm the only girl in the house!!!!!'. Toby tried to tell me that because everyone's fixed and he had testicular cancer so had one testicle removed 'there's still more ovaries than balls' but I was unconvinced. Heh.

Fingers crossed the litter comes and is a big one!!!!! Keep us updated.

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free - 06/20/22 10:43 PM

Well, the litter that was due around June 13th was born on June 11th - 5 pups in the litter. I contacted the breeder and everyone in both of these litters is spoken for. She said we are on the list for the next litter, which won't be until closer to the fall. So we have a little while to wait and get prepared. Interesting - one of the potential females that may be the mom of this next litter is "Rica". DH said that would be fitting. Our Rica was still alive when we got Caleb - she died a couple of months after we brought him home.

[Linked Image]

I think it works out for the best since the start of our renovations is delayed until mid July instead of the end of this month. The over all project is estimated to take about 8 weeks and I mentally add a couple of weeks to that estimate for unexpected delays. With an old house - who knows what we find when they start taking the dry wall down in the kitchen and/or when they start working on the roof and deck. I'd rather not bring home a new puppy when things are still in turmoil in the house. It's enough that Ciara will probably be a bit upset. She doesn't really like routines changing.

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free - 06/21/22 02:11 PM

Sometimes things just work out to an advantage despite our initial thoughts/plans. I'd guess a major renovation would be a bit easier without a new pup bearing witness.
Posted By: DarkEyes

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free - 06/25/22 11:10 AM

I know I am late. I am so sorry for your loss of sweet Caleb. I hope you are soing okay. Sounds lile you got a lot to keep yourself busy with. I hope Ciara is doing better.

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free - 06/28/22 01:28 AM

So sorry to hear the other pups were all spoken for, but it does sound like a pup in the Fall would be timed a bit better. This is so exciting. I'm thinking it was meant to be with Rica being the name of the mom and your prior pup. I'm so happy for you.
Posted By: Wisc.Tiger_Val

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free - 06/29/22 05:31 PM

Run Free sweet Caleb. I am sorry for your loss. I am sorry for your loss I am sure Ciara is also adjusting.
© 2022 GermanShepherdHome.net