Eastern Oregon
Z
Zisso Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Zisso  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Z

Eastern Oregon
They finished about 3pm. Of course, had lots of tools and all to pick up. Had 2 trailers to take away; the tool trailer and the one they brought the lumber in.

I asked if it would hurt anything to let Gypsy out back to run and he said not at all. I am not fond of all the loose dirt, but we haven't gotten to walk to 2 days now. This is not attached to the house, but it is sturdy and very well built.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bev~mom to:

Gypsy Breeze-DOB 10/26/18

R.I.P. Kiki, Nadia, Pepe, and all my other loves from years gone by.
R.I.P. Zisso May 2, 2020
Re: Deck is gone (with pics) [Re: Zisso] #357347
06/15/22 11:50 PM
06/15/22 11:50 PM
Toronto, ON
jarn Offline
Old Hand
jarn  Offline
Old Hand

Toronto, ON
It looks really nice Bev! I am so glad things are looking up. And yay GB getting to run around - whew!

Jenn
Neb, Xerxes, and Agis
Timothy and Cordelia (kitties)
RIP Luc
RIP Teagan
Re: Deck is gone (with pics) [Re: jarn] #357349
06/16/22 02:29 AM
06/16/22 02:29 AM
Eastern Oregon
Z
Zisso Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Zisso  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Z

Eastern Oregon
Originally Posted by jarn
It looks really nice Bev! I am so glad things are looking up. And yay GB getting to run around - whew!

Thank you! And yeah, I am glad she gets to run.

Yesterday I had to go 45 miles away to get dog food, and since I was there I grabbed a few things at Walmart as well, so was gone over 3 hours, then it was pretty warm for a walk, and no walk today because I am not comfortable leaving when the crew is here in case something happens (thinking injuries etc that could go against my home owners insurance?) I want to be here and know right away. So the access to the back yard is a good way to let her run off steam.

Now however, my check engine light came on today and the car is running rough, so will have to take it in tomorrow (hopefully) to see what's up. Gah! All because our feed store can't seem to get the dog food here but they can...All I can do is hope it isn't something major. It is a 2000 GMC Jimmy, and has been a good rig for me for like 7 years or so. And I have a long awaited Dr appt tomorrow afternoon too.

Last edited by Zisso; 06/16/22 02:30 AM.

Bev~mom to:

R.I.P. Zisso May 2, 2020
Re: Deck is gone (with pics) [Re: Zisso] #357350
06/16/22 05:34 AM
06/16/22 05:34 AM
M
middleofnowhere Offline
Carpal Tunnel
middleofnowhere  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M

Bev, that looks great. It sounds like you are happy with it -- may they finish up soon.

On the liability issue - your contractor should be insured and bonded -- therefore not an issue for you. (unless he's not insured and bonded)

Sorry about the car acting up. Fortunately, my friends got my ancient rig running so I have something of a back up if the General Albert gets huffy. And this reminds me I need to air up the tire on the back up. Just add that to my list.... May your issue be minor.

Re: Deck is gone (with pics) [Re: Zisso] #357370
06/19/22 12:19 AM
06/19/22 12:19 AM
Eastern Oregon
Z
Zisso Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Zisso  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Z

Eastern Oregon
Thanks Middle! They are supposed to lay sod on Monday and the trailer of sod is sitting out in front of my house now. I don't understand why he took the other trailer that still had top soil in it, because I heard one of the guys tell him they might need a bit more top soil when they finish up leveling the yard. Makes no sense to me. There is still about 1/3 of the yard to be leveled and add top soil to. Sometimes I wonder about this contractor. He seems to miss things.

I can see the roofing nails on the underside of the cover to the patio that I am not happy about. It seems like they used roofing nails that were too big for the materials they were nailing through. I also never thought of how the bees will nest in the rafters, etc or even birds. I was going to have a 'talk' with him about what I consider to be a shoddy job on that, However, he gives a lifetime warranty on his workmanship (How can you warranty shoddy work?) so for now I am going to let it be and see what happens- how it holds up, say through the winter. I want to get a cloth drop cloth, and some stencils, and use Rit dye to decorate, then staple it up to close that off and hopefully block out bees and birds. Give it a bit of a hippie look ;)I decorated like this before, making a pillow cover- same material. I found it to cause me to itch like a mad woman though so can't use the pillows. Then add maybe a few windchimes, and the wrought iron looking planters I already have, chairs I have, small chairs, I have and a bench I have and my 12x12 space will be filled up. Add a rug, and a couple of planters and it will be just fine. Nothing fancy, yet enough.

My front yard is taking a beating having Gypsy out there, and with the weather not fully cooperating, walks are not consistent yet. But I also knew I would eventually have to redo my front yard as it was already lumpy and uncomfortable to walk on. I also will eventually get the front yard fenced in with chain link. I am almost thinking that both yard were sod at some time before us getting in here. If that's the case, it is probably not such a good idea to thatch the yard, and of course the tons of maple leaves every fall adds to the mess too.

Overall, I am anxious to have them out of my hair. That's the biggest thing now. I am tired of the activity LOL

As for my car- well, it is going in the shop on Monday. I am taking it to the tranny shop, and he always gives me a loaner to use while he has my car, so it's all good.

Bev~mom to:

R.I.P. Zisso May 2, 2020
Re: Deck is gone (with pics) [Re: Zisso] #357380
06/21/22 02:13 PM
06/21/22 02:13 PM
M
middleofnowhere Offline
Carpal Tunnel
middleofnowhere  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M

I hope that sod is down now and went down easy. I'd worry about it just sitting for very long.

Re: Deck is gone (with pics) [Re: middleofnowhere] #357382
06/22/22 09:35 PM
06/22/22 09:35 PM
Eastern Oregon
Z
Zisso Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Zisso  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Z

Eastern Oregon
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere
I hope that sod is down now and went down easy. I'd worry about it just sitting for very long.

Hey Middle...he brought the sod over on Saturday and in reality should have probably waited until Monday, but it turned out ok. It went down okay and is doing ok. It is a lot of work to water a large yard of sod. I bought a timer and extra hoses so it can all be done automatically. One of the guys used to do flagging with me, and he is going to come help me set up said timer.

I am going to have to start getting up earlier so I can get GB out for walks with the heat turning up! I am now getting her out a lot lately.

I have been having trouble with my left shoulder, being painful to do stuff with it, etc and waited as long as possible to go to Dr. Finally went yesterday, to Urgent Care, after having missed an appt last week. It is rotator cuff tendonitis, and I also have tendonitis in the top muscle in that shoulder. I also have mild arthritis and osteoarthritis in that shoulder. I can say now, that if this is mild, I don't want to know what acute is. The Dr. said to continue to use my shoulder to avoid frozen shoulder, but not to over use it to make it worse. He said I can use stuff like Aspercreme, etc on it, and I decided to use Arnica cream instead. It feels better already, at least a little bit.

Last but not least, I got my car out of the shop today. It was expensive to say the least. The fuel injector had to be replaced. Now it is in tip top shape and I will survive the expense. It feels like I have been bleeding money this month and am running on empty. It is a feeling that will pass though, and I do have back up/reserves so will be fine. The car is important.

I haven't taken pics of the yard yet, but will get some in the next few days. I did let GB out there once or twice, but not for long. She was happy to run on the grass.

Bev~mom to:

R.I.P. Zisso May 2, 2020
Re: Deck is gone (with pics) [Re: Zisso] #357383
06/23/22 08:39 PM
06/23/22 08:39 PM
M
middleofnowhere Offline
Carpal Tunnel
middleofnowhere  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M

Bev, just "ouch"... My right shoulder was pretty bad a couple of years back. Ended up in PT with it. If I were good with followup exercise .... well, it would be better but I'm crappy at that. If you tell me to move hay bales or pull mustard and do it this way - yeah, I'll do that but just resistance exercise without something immediate payback... nope. So what I'm saying is maybe ask your dr. about PT? And yeah on arthritis - sorry about your "complementary" membership to that club. Unfortunately, medicare doesn't cover massage -- and a full body one does wonders. If you have a heat pad with a vibrating feature that might help, too. Or if you can go some place where they have a jetted tub, those work pretty well for all sorts of aches.

Good for you with the timer deal for watering. Those work pretty well - at least the ones I used in the past. Here, I have a sprinkler system which is just great until I take out a sprinkler head (OK twice is 9 years isn't too awful). Unfortunately, there are only three outdoor faucets on this place. One by the turnout is only on in summer (line shut down for winter), one would have been OK until they added the garage smack in the way, the other one is a good deal. Overall 'though, I am left with over 1/2 the yard without a faucet. In Arkansas, I had a deep lot (200ft) with one faucet in front (front was OK) and just one in back. Like you, I had a lot of hoses. There I could water different spots for 2 hours at a time every couple of weeks and it worked fine, On your project, good to get that set up as the heat kicks on for us.

Congrats on the car. General Albert goes in tomorrow - and that means I need to have someone pick me up and then take me back later. Mine's going to be cheap I think. There is some irony though that when you make a major buy/expense something else demands money, too.

You will enjoy your back yard for years to come -- and hopefully, the car too!

Re: Deck is gone (with pics) [Re: Zisso] #357385
06/24/22 02:09 AM
06/24/22 02:09 AM
Eastern Oregon
Z
Zisso Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Zisso  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Z

Eastern Oregon
I have only one pic of the grass on my phone and haven't uploaded it anywhere yet to save to my computer and share here. I have been pretty busy running water. It has taken me days to get the timer set up correctly. Thought I had it in good shape last night, but had all 4 hoses set for the same time, and got a trickle out of them LOL Today I figured out how to change the times, and now they are all staggered, timewise. There are some dry spots, but they are starting to come back. One spot looked terrible, but it snapped right back after getting water.

I am using Arnica cream on my shoulder and getting some results. It feels a lot better now. My bank account is not fond of my car LOL It was expensive, as all shops are. It was the fuel injector that had to be replaced along with a tune up. I truly did bleed money this month. Add to that the water bill I will get next month. But it is worth it in the long run.

GB actually got a walk today! First one all week, poor girl. And of course she isn't getting to go in her back yard since the sod is not rooted yet. She actually gets to make a loop back there maybe once every other day as long as she isn't zooming. LOL

Middle, my brother is on my last nerve about driving again! Long story, of course!

Bev~mom to:

R.I.P. Zisso May 2, 2020
Re: Deck is gone (with pics) [Re: Zisso] #357407
07/02/22 10:25 PM
07/02/22 10:25 PM
Toronto, ON
jarn Offline
Old Hand
jarn  Offline
Old Hand

Toronto, ON
I hope the sod roots fast! How long does it normally take?

Expenses always do seem to pile up.

Jenn
Neb, Xerxes, and Agis
RIP Luc
RIP Teagan
Re: Deck is gone (with pics) [Re: Zisso] #357412
07/04/22 02:34 PM
07/04/22 02:34 PM
Eastern Oregon
Z
Zisso Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Zisso  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Z

Eastern Oregon
Most of the sod is taking root. It is looking pretty good, other than a few areas where it just needs more water and time.
[Linked Image]

Below is my garden shed and behind it is an area that is not taking root at all, It looks like it is either dead or dormant, but with other dry looking spots, water brings it back to life and this just acts dead. No amount of water has helped to revive it. This is also the area, from the shed and to the left, where the contractor didn't put down top soil and he got impatient and just kind of threw the sod on so they could get out of here. He had a guy quit that day which slowed them down, and he had brought the sod here 2 days earlier leaving it sitting in the sun, baking away. I now have it in a text that if this area doesn't take, he may have to rip it out and do it over. In reality he WILL have to do that. He basically broke the contract by doing this portion of the yard incorrectly.
[Linked Image]

In the photo below you can see two areas that look dry and brown. Now, 3 days later they are green and doing much better. I even mowed this section of the yard yesterday. I have to admit I am really out of shape! I was huffing and puffing when I came in and my throat was drier than these patches of sod! LOL
[Linked Image]

I have been letting Gypsy come back with me, although none of my secondary fences are up so I have to be careful as she will fence fight with neighboring dogs and tear up the sod. She seems to like the front yard, and is always quick to head back there. She is getting more exposure to everything up there and is learning (finally) to control her behavior better.

We had some storms passing through last night so I turned the water off for the night. It was nice to not be spending $$ on watering while I sleep!

Hope everyone has a Happy Independence Day!!

Bev~mom to:

R.I.P. Zisso May 2, 2020
Re: Deck is gone (with pics) [Re: Zisso] #357415
07/05/22 02:01 AM
07/05/22 02:01 AM
M
middleofnowhere Offline
Carpal Tunnel
middleofnowhere  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M

Bev,
That's looking good!

Re: Deck is gone (with pics) [Re: middleofnowhere] #357416
07/05/22 02:56 PM
07/05/22 02:56 PM
Eastern Oregon
Z
Zisso Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Zisso  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Z

Eastern Oregon
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere
Bev,
That's looking good!

Thanks Middle!

It is a far cry from what it was before, for sure. I am down to watering for 20 minutes in the evening now, with a drink from the hose during the day.

Bev~mom to:

R.I.P. Zisso May 2, 2020
Re: Deck is gone (with pics) [Re: Zisso] #357419
07/06/22 07:44 PM
07/06/22 07:44 PM
S
Shilohsmom Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Shilohsmom  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
S

Looks great. You and GB will have a lot of fun there now.

Rosa

Proud Mom to Kody and Sasha
and never to be forgotten, Shiloh, Shoshi and Eli
Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks its the greatest dog that ever lived!
Re: Deck is gone (with pics) [Re: Shilohsmom] #357422
07/07/22 11:53 PM
07/07/22 11:53 PM
Eastern Oregon
Z
Zisso Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Zisso  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Z

Eastern Oregon
Originally Posted by Shilohsmom
Looks great. You and GB will have a lot of fun there now.

Thanks Rosa!

Bev~mom to:

R.I.P. Zisso May 2, 2020
Re: Deck is gone (with pics) [Re: Zisso] #357428
07/10/22 03:42 PM
07/10/22 03:42 PM
Eastern Oregon
Z
Zisso Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Zisso  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Z

Eastern Oregon
The yard is looking good other needing to be mowed. Gypsy gets to go out there with me for short periods to play and really run off some steam. It feels so good to have grass for her to run on. I have yet to sit on the patio and relax since there is always her to play with or sprinklers to move, etc.

Then I got a hair up my butt and decided to buy a new washer and dryer. The set I have now is fully functional, however it was here when dad and I moved in to this house and I have been here for 6 years now, so no telling how old the set is. The new set will be delivered Thursday morning. I have spent a lot of money this year, between the yard and my car, and now this, and still want to replace my kitchen sink and add a garbage disposal. However that might wait until next year to see where I stand financially too.

Time to get this dog out for a walk. Hope you are all enjoying this summer to the best of your ability given all we are facing with inflation and all!

Bev~mom to:

R.I.P. Zisso May 2, 2020
Re: Deck is gone (with pics) [Re: Zisso] #357429
07/10/22 07:16 PM
07/10/22 07:16 PM
Toronto, ON
jarn Offline
Old Hand
jarn  Offline
Old Hand

Toronto, ON
Sometimes it's really nice to cocoon and make your home just as you want it. Laundry is such a nice thing to have what you want. I get that for sure.

Hope you had a good walk!

Jenn
Neb, Xerxes, and Agis
RIP Luc
RIP Teagan
Re: Deck is gone (with pics) [Re: Zisso] #357544
08/03/22 09:48 PM
08/03/22 09:48 PM
Alexandria, NH
Woodreb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Woodreb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Alexandria, NH
How's Gypsy enjoying the new yard now that it has had a chance to "settle in"?

Johanna

Ciara(aka Ciara Belle, Black Devil), Roisin (doesn't have a nickname yet)

RIP Caleb, Aodhán, Rica, Max, Kelly - gone but never forgotten - forever in my heart
Re: Deck is gone (with pics) [Re: Woodreb] #357681
08/16/22 02:42 AM
08/16/22 02:42 AM
Eastern Oregon
Z
Zisso Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Zisso  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Z

Eastern Oregon
Originally Posted by Woodreb
How's Gypsy enjoying the new yard now that it has had a chance to "settle in"?

Just now revisiting this thread so just now seeing your post/question...

Gypsy is loving having her yard back. I am wondering what I was thinking since it is a lot of work to keep it going. It is not nearly as green as it was last month. The heat is taking it's toll. And the odd shape of my yard makes it hard to water the whole thing. I do sections, and have 4 hoses on a timer. It is driving me insane. I might get one area looking good again and another seems to try to go dormant. I am looking forward to fall!
Plus it is always so warm it is hard to mow. I need to mow in the mornings. I picked up all the hoses this evening and will mow tomorrow morning, then start mowing the driest portions of the yard.

Also, I am watering the front yard because it went downhill quick when we used the front yard for 2 weeks. We really tromped it down good, but it is coming back with watering. I will probably get to mow it one more time before fall when it's time to rake tons of maple leaves. For the back yard, from what I have read, it will be good for the sod to mulch the maple leaves.

I have no doubt the contractor got the cheapest sod he could and for both front and back yard, everywhere that Gypsy goes potty, if I don't rinse it right away, the urine kills the grass. So I think I am going to get some seed, and will put that in those dead potty spots as well in areas that didn't do well to start with, in the spring. Meanwhile, in the fall I will give the lawn some weed and feed to try to kill of a few weeds, fertilize and prep for our cold weather.

Bev~mom to:

R.I.P. Zisso May 2, 2020
Re: Deck is gone (with pics) [Re: Zisso] #357686
08/16/22 08:33 PM
08/16/22 08:33 PM
M
middleofnowhere Offline
Carpal Tunnel
middleofnowhere  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M

Bev, I have a sprinkler system and I am Soooooo Verrry Happpy about that. I still get brown "dead" spots in summer. I suspect these are in areas that have a concentration of rocks under them. (I live on a rock pile). And - where the Barker Sisters pee on well established healthy lawn, it leaves dead spots. So try not to be so hard on the contractor - our summer heat is hard on established lawns and I'd think worse on new ones. I think your plan to reseed this fall is a good one. I'd check about the weed and feed on newly laid sod but you probably have. I suspect you would want to apply after your new seed has a chance to sprout and root. Or maybe just avoid those areas? What I'm thinking is that the weed and feed will knock out your grass seed but that's just speculation on my part.

Have you considered setting up your string of hoses with snap disconnects if you are going to need to take the hoses up to mow? You will likely still have to turn different valves on and off, though. Here, I water at night to avoid more evaporation. And in this summer heat, every part gets an hour a day. OK just writing this makes me feel guilty about having the sprinkler system - I wonder if you could do an above ground one with PVC? You'd have to fuss at draining it before frost... Whatever you do, keeping grass green and the right height --- well, it IS work. ..

I can sympathize with the odd shaped lawn. Through no planning on my part, I have several funky shaped features here - I swear the product of a planner who never did any yard work and a "yes, dear" partner.

Point being - I guess be careful what you ask for. With a smaller yard, I'd be tempted with those self driving "rumba" type lawn mowers that they've developed.

I've been tempted by weed and feed --- and told that it will then grow even faster... it would also preclude giving the clippings to my neighbor for chicken feed. Lawns treated with that stuff really look amazing.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Do dogs appreciate aesthetics?
by jarn. 11/13/22 11:41 PM
eh
by middleofnowhere. 11/06/22 02:07 AM
Happy 11th Birthday, Ciara Bella
by Woodreb. 10/30/22 01:48 AM
Welcome Home, Roisin
by Woodreb. 09/27/22 08:43 PM
Caleb Moose - Run Free
by Woodreb. 05/14/22 01:36 AM
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
The bad news
by jarn. 12/04/22 05:38 PM
Holiday cards
by Shilohsmom. 11/26/22 05:28 PM
Thanksgiving plans?
by Shilohsmom. 11/23/22 12:31 AM
Mom and bad bread
by jarn. 11/15/22 06:57 PM
Rosa's Hello old Friends, continued part 2
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 01/13/15 03:49 PM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 10 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Members
GSDman, GSDluvah, Bonwno, Mongoski, Lawz67
3048 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics18,796
Posts293,363
Members3,048
Most Online991
Jan 15th, 2020