05/18/22 12:31 AM
Toronto, ON
jarn Offline
Old Hand
jarn  Offline
Old Hand

Toronto, ON
Aww Caleb and the kids...shucks.

Agis does something similar with the ball and launcher.

Jenn
Neb, Xerxes, and Agis
Timothy and Cordelia (kitties)
RIP Luc
RIP Teagan
Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free [Re: Woodreb] #357223
05/19/22 12:53 AM
05/19/22 12:53 AM
S
Shilohsmom Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Shilohsmom  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
S

Originally Posted by Woodreb
SRM,

Caleb and Chuck-it - he liked to play fetch when he was young, but you had to "two ball" him so he would drop the ball. As he got older, he decided that keep away with the ball was much more fun for him. He would bring the ball back and chew on it a bit. Then drop it on the ground and look at you, like OK here's the ball. The minute I would go to pick up the ball with the launcher, he'd grab it off the ground with a little sly look like - fooled you, I'm not ready for another toss.

I think Caleb's absolute favorite game was tug.

Kody does the same thing with the ball. He'll drop it and look at me kinda challenging me to come get it. But as soon as I get too close he snatches it up and primes it a little longer. I just adore his sense of humor. Just like Caleb. He was a special pup that's for sure.

Rosa

Proud Mom to Kody and Sasha
and never to be forgotten, Shiloh, Shoshi and Eli
Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks its the greatest dog that ever lived!
Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free [Re: SeanRescueMom] #357255
05/27/22 02:29 AM
05/27/22 02:29 AM
Alexandria, NH
Woodreb Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Woodreb  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Alexandria, NH
Originally Posted by SeanRescueMom

Caleb knew exactly what he was doing. He was a sweet but smart guy. Actually Sean did something similar - DH and I would play monkey in the middle with him and when he dropped the ball, then picked it up he'd take off running as if to say, "hey guys, aren't you going to chase me?"

Caleb certainly was a smart boy. During the past month he was having more trouble walking in the house - wood floors, linoleum and dogs with DM or any kind of mobility problems really don't mix. We picked up a few cheap, non-slip rugs to help him get to the kitchen for mealtimes. It took no time at all for him to figure out that if he stayed on the rugs it was easier to walk to the kitchen. What we didn't do at the time was get enough to create a path from the water bowl out to the dining room along the front hallway. He went to get a drink after breakfast and I was watching him. I could almost see the wheels turning in his head looking across the stretch of wood floor and thinking "I don't know if I can make it from here to the rug over there. I'll have to go really fast to get to the rug as soon as possible." That's exactly what he did, although going fast resulted in him slipping on the floor. DH went out and got more rugs to covered that stretch of flooring, too.

I 've been seeing a turkey out eating in the back field ever other day or so for the past 2 weeks. It makes me remember how intently Caleb would watch the turkeys when he saw them in the field. Ciara has no interest in watching the turkeys. She runs and looks for a ball when I tell her there are turkeys out there.

We brought his ashes home yesterday and now he's sitting on the mantel. Somewhere in a box in the attic are the urns for Max, Kelly, Rica and Aodhán. We're going to get all of them together and scatter the ashes around the dogwood trees that DH planted this year. Caleb may still end up under his apple tree or the lilac, I'm not sure just yet.

Johanna

Ciara(aka Ciara Belle, Black Devil)

RIP Caleb, Aodhán, Rica, Max, Kelly - gone but never forgotten - forever in my heart
Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free [Re: Woodreb] #357264
05/29/22 06:05 PM
05/29/22 06:05 PM
Toronto, ON
jarn Offline
Old Hand
jarn  Offline
Old Hand

Toronto, ON
I'm glad you have Caleb back.

I like the idea of his apple tree or the lilac. It seems fitting.

Jenn
Neb, Xerxes, and Agis
RIP Luc
RIP Teagan
Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free [Re: Woodreb] #357315
06/11/22 12:45 AM
06/11/22 12:45 AM
S
Shilohsmom Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Shilohsmom  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
S

Just wanted to check in to see how Ciera is doing with Calebs loss?

Rosa

Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks its the greatest dog that ever lived!
Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free [Re: Woodreb] #357316
06/11/22 02:12 AM
06/11/22 02:12 AM
Alexandria, NH
Woodreb Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Woodreb  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Alexandria, NH
Rosa, Ciara's seems to be a little "off". For the most part she seems OK, even frisky in the morning after breakfast. But I've taken her out to play Chuckit several times and she will run after the ball once or twice and then looks at me like "do you want me to bring it back?" She'll bring it back part way and drop it. (If it were Caleb, I'd say now we're playing keep away.) I tell her to bring it back and she does, but 3-4 throws and she drops the ball and acts like she's had enough. She's getting extra attention and DH has taken her for a bunch of walks in the woods and says she seems fine on the walks. I've been too busy with the cabinets (we're getting closer to the time our contractor said he'd be starting the renovations) to get away for a walk. So I've been trying the fetch and that has always been her favorite thing to do with me, ever since she was a puppy. Like I said, she acts as if she wants to play, but it just seems off and she's only been doing this since Caleb's been gone. It's weird.

We have been talking to the breeder we got Ciara from about getting a puppy. We both miss Caleb and we think it will be good for Ciara, too. I do think she misses him. The breeder has one dog who just had a small litter the end of May (4 pups) and has one other dog due sometime next week. I don't know exactly how long her wait list is, but we're hoping that perhaps a pup from the litter due next week will be available. We started saying we wanted a male and the breeder said she has more people that want males rather than females. DH and I talked it over and decided we'd be fine with a female, so it may be we have a chance. I'd take one from the smaller litter, too but I don't know yet if they are all spoken for.

Johanna

RIP Caleb, Aodhán, Rica, Max, Kelly - gone but never forgotten - forever in my heart
Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free [Re: Woodreb] #357317
06/11/22 09:24 PM
06/11/22 09:24 PM
Mary Jane Online content
Carpal Tunnel
Mary Jane  Online Content
Carpal Tunnel

Johanna, you people are so reasoned about your loss and Miss Ciara, and how your house could welcome another dog. Myself, I am never so reasoned.

I hope your family can find the right new member. What can I say-we need them.

MJ

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free [Re: Woodreb] #357318
06/11/22 10:34 PM
06/11/22 10:34 PM
S
Shilohsmom Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Shilohsmom  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
S

I think a pup would be perfect for Ciara (and everyone). It has to be hard on them when their lifelong friend is gone. Kody bear experienced way too much loss when he was young and it really effected him. Please keep us posted. We soooo need another pup on the boards.

Rosa

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free [Re: Woodreb] #357319
06/11/22 11:04 PM
06/11/22 11:04 PM
Alexandria, NH
Woodreb Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Woodreb  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Alexandria, NH
MJ, My heart hasn't felt as heavy with loss the past week. But that doesn't mean I don't miss Caleb.

I went for a little walk this afternoon with Ciara and DH, just down to the river and to look at the new bushes DH has put in near the edge of the woods. I told him the last time I walked down to the river, I had both dogs with me, even though Caleb was slower than he used to be. So, I do miss him.

DH unearthed a big stuffed German Shepherd that Tyler used to sleep with in his bed when he was little. He called it "Big Rica" - in memory of one of our other dogs we had when he was little. DH brought it downstairs from the attic and it's been sitting on Caleb's pillow in the living room. Every now and then I catch the "dog" laying there on the pillow out of the corner of my eye and my mind thinks it is Caleb laying there.

A new puppy will go a long way towards filling the hole in my heart and DH's. He's really looking forward to having a little yappy puppy in the house to train and keep us all company.

Last edited by Woodreb; 06/11/22 11:05 PM. Reason: fixed a typo

Johanna

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free [Re: Woodreb] #357320
06/12/22 12:24 AM
06/12/22 12:24 AM
S
Shilohsmom Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Shilohsmom  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
S

I so hope you can get in on next weeks litter crossedfingers

Rosa

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free [Re: Shilohsmom] #357322
06/12/22 04:26 PM
06/12/22 04:26 PM
SeanRescueMom Offline
Carpal Tunnel
SeanRescueMom  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I sincerely hope whichever litter you get a puppy from it will be the best fit for your family and Ciara. I'm waiting with suspense and look forward to your updates. gsdsit

Sean - 1998/2014
If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart I'll stay there forever.
Carleton DOB unknown
Neely - 2003/2015
Gizmo -2008/2011
Neeko -1991/2005
Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free [Re: Woodreb] #357325
06/13/22 03:13 PM
06/13/22 03:13 PM
M
middleofnowhere Online content
Carpal Tunnel
middleofnowhere  Online Content
Carpal Tunnel
M

I like your plans Johanna - both for the ashes and for a pup. I still have some of the ashes of the first dog I had cremated. four other sets of ashes wait, too. You've got a lovely location picked.

The right pup will come to you, too. I've found there is a sort of legacy/conspiracy going on with dogs. The right one - almost with Caleb's blessing ... they seem to know.

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free [Re: Woodreb] #357328
06/13/22 10:15 PM
06/13/22 10:15 PM
Toronto, ON
jarn Offline
Old Hand
jarn  Offline
Old Hand

Toronto, ON
I hope you find a pup, middle's right though, the right pup will come. I think it sounds like a really nice pick me up for everyone.

Is Ciara good with other females?

Jenn
Neb, Xerxes, and Agis
RIP Luc
RIP Teagan
Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free [Re: Woodreb] #357331
06/14/22 12:15 AM
06/14/22 12:15 AM
Alexandria, NH
Woodreb Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Woodreb  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Alexandria, NH
Ciara hasn't been around many other dogs lately, but is generally fine with any new dog she's met when a neighbor is out walking a dog.

She met my friend's female Aussie when she was a puppy and was fine then. The big thing in her favor is that she isn't a very dominant dog, so I think that will work out in choosing a new puppy. And it may work out better for her than a new male. She was always fine with Caleb, but did not really like other males sniffing her rear and such - at least she didn't like my girlfriend's male Aussie doing that.

DH at first wanted another male because he "didn't want to be the only male in the house". I asked him what about Bentley (the grandson's cat who is living with us for the next 10 years or more). He said Bentley is a cat - he doesn't count. rofl I know he was just kidding.

We'll see how things go in the next few weeks. The litter the breeder is expecting this week was due today, but that could mean today or the next day or two.

Johanna

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free [Re: SeanRescueMom] #357332
06/14/22 11:51 AM
06/14/22 11:51 AM
Mary Jane Online content
Carpal Tunnel
Mary Jane  Online Content
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by SeanRescueMom
I sincerely hope whichever litter you get a puppy from it will be the best fit for your family and Ciara. I'm waiting with suspense and look forward to your updates. gsdsit

X2

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free [Re: Woodreb] #357333
06/14/22 12:30 PM
06/14/22 12:30 PM
Toronto, ON
jarn Offline
Old Hand
jarn  Offline
Old Hand

Toronto, ON
Heh, Johanna, one reason why one of our cats is female (not really, but) is because I said 'I'm the only girl in the house!!!!!'. Toby tried to tell me that because everyone's fixed and he had testicular cancer so had one testicle removed 'there's still more ovaries than balls' but I was unconvinced. Heh.

Fingers crossed the litter comes and is a big one!!!!! Keep us updated.

Jenn
Neb, Xerxes, and Agis
RIP Luc
RIP Teagan
Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free [Re: Woodreb] #357377
06/20/22 10:43 PM
06/20/22 10:43 PM
Alexandria, NH
Woodreb Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Woodreb  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Alexandria, NH
Well, the litter that was due around June 13th was born on June 11th - 5 pups in the litter. I contacted the breeder and everyone in both of these litters is spoken for. She said we are on the list for the next litter, which won't be until closer to the fall. So we have a little while to wait and get prepared. Interesting - one of the potential females that may be the mom of this next litter is "Rica". DH said that would be fitting. Our Rica was still alive when we got Caleb - she died a couple of months after we brought him home.

[Linked Image]

I think it works out for the best since the start of our renovations is delayed until mid July instead of the end of this month. The over all project is estimated to take about 8 weeks and I mentally add a couple of weeks to that estimate for unexpected delays. With an old house - who knows what we find when they start taking the dry wall down in the kitchen and/or when they start working on the roof and deck. I'd rather not bring home a new puppy when things are still in turmoil in the house. It's enough that Ciara will probably be a bit upset. She doesn't really like routines changing.

Johanna

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free [Re: Woodreb] #357379
06/21/22 02:11 PM
06/21/22 02:11 PM
M
middleofnowhere Online content
Carpal Tunnel
middleofnowhere  Online Content
Carpal Tunnel
M

Sometimes things just work out to an advantage despite our initial thoughts/plans. I'd guess a major renovation would be a bit easier without a new pup bearing witness.

Re: Caleb Moose - Run Free [Re: Woodreb] #357387
Yesterday at 11:10 AM
Yesterday at 11:10 AM
Tennessee
DarkEyes Offline
Addict
DarkEyes  Offline
Addict

Tennessee
I know I am late. I am so sorry for your loss of sweet Caleb. I hope you are soing okay. Sounds lile you got a lot to keep yourself busy with. I hope Ciara is doing better.

Last edited by DarkEyes; Yesterday at 11:10 AM.

Abbey: German Shepherd, R.I.P.

Ranger: Patch Beagle

Suki: 14 years old grumpy Calico

Bella: Ragdoll. Now living with her best cat friend Ty at an oversized cat condo in Crazy Cat Lady City.

2 little angels/monsters in disguise: My 2 boys
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Meet our Rescue
by DarkEyes. 06/25/22 11:30 AM
Missing Zisso
by Zisso. 06/19/22 12:40 AM
Here's Yara Mary Jane!
by Islandgsds. 06/07/22 09:39 PM
Deck is gone (with pics)
by Zisso. 06/01/22 11:15 PM
Agis PEED on someone!!!!
by jarn. 05/28/22 03:23 PM
Sasha watching the chicken
by Shilohsmom. 05/26/22 10:23 PM
Caleb Moose - Run Free
by Woodreb. 05/14/22 01:36 AM
The eyes have it
by middleofnowhere. 05/02/22 05:32 AM
Tough week for Nebbers
by jarn. 04/25/22 12:17 AM
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Anniversary sigh
by jarn. 06/17/22 11:39 PM
What to do
by Shilohsmom. 06/02/22 04:34 PM
Where is Lisa?
by Islandgsds. 05/19/22 11:31 PM
Rosa's Hello old Friends, continued part 2
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 01/13/15 03:49 PM
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (middleofnowhere), 16 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Members
GSDman, GSDluvah, Bonwno, Mongoski, Lawz67
3048 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics18,762
Posts292,547
Members3,048
Most Online991
Jan 15th, 2020