06/01/22 11:15 PM
Eastern Oregon
Zisso Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Happy Birthday Zisso  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Eastern Oregon
Today was demo day!

The crew was an hour early. I was surprised. They made short work of ripping out the deck and also took out a concrete pad in font of it, cleaned it all up, took out all of the secondary fencing that protects a rickety old fence on one side, and my fence tarps on the chain link on the other side, & dropped off a trailer of gravel for tomorrow, by noonish. Tomorrow they will frame out the patio and pour it. After that they will locate an electrical line from the house to the shop, and rototill the yard, including bringing in top soil. Not sure when they are going to build the patio cover, and when they will lay the sod. The contractor is going to set my last 4 t-posts for the wire fencing for the front yard and I can string that fence for now. I will do another contract with him at the end of the season to put in chain link around my front yard. I never thought about it when I was getting this project planned or it would be included in this and all be done at once. Gypsy will be able to use the front yard once the wire fencing is up, while they work out back. I plan on using this as a training opportunity to start teaching her to stop barking at everything that moves.

This is where the deck and concrete slab was. At the bottom of the picture you can see the roots of one of my maple trees.
[Linked Image]
Gypsy will have to be on leash back here for now so I brought out my 20' leash to give her a little space to go potty. Shows the rickety fence that is about to fall down. Max lives over there and G & Max hate each other.
[Linked Image]

This is next to the garden shed and shows the neighbors rickety fence and the weeds that abundant.
[Linked Image]

View from one corner to the other. I really should get one more small fence tarp and finish that off and make it look better. This faces the Yappers yard and none of the dogs go to that corner.
[Linked Image]

This is facing the back of the yard where my lilac's are. I drug my chair back out after the crew was gone
[Linked Image]

I will update this thread as the project progresses! Exciting happenings!

Bev~mom to:

Gypsy Breeze-DOB 10/26/18

R.I.P. Kiki, Nadia, Pepe, and all my other loves from years gone by.
R.I.P. Zisso May 2, 2020
Re: Deck is gone (with pics) [Re: Zisso] #357277
06/02/22 01:24 PM
06/02/22 01:24 PM
Toronto, ON
jarn Offline
Old Hand
jarn  Offline
Old Hand

Toronto, ON
Wow! They got a lot done!

I can't wait to see how things go! I'm all excited and it's not my house.

Jenn
Neb, Xerxes, and Agis
Timothy and Cordelia (kitties)
RIP Luc
RIP Teagan
Re: Deck is gone (with pics) [Re: jarn] #357287
06/03/22 03:17 PM
06/03/22 03:17 PM
Eastern Oregon
Zisso Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Eastern Oregon
Originally Posted by jarn
Wow! They got a lot done!

I can't wait to see how things go! I'm all excited and it's not my house.

Yes, they got a LOT done. They are only here in the mornings. Two days now, and the cement has been poured for the patio. They will be back either on Mon or Tues depending on weather, at which time they will start framing up the roof for the patio. The electrician came to locate the direct busy power line to the shop and disconnect the power that once set up for a smoker.

After the crew was done with concrete, I set to work to put up a wire fence around my front yard and got it done. The 'gate' is not perfect and is quite temporary. I have to work on a better solution this weekend. BUT, Gypsy got to enjoy the front yard yesterday and her delight was obvious. To have real grass under her paws again! She got the zoomies smile This is near the end of her zoomies...

[Linked Image]

Bev~mom to:

R.I.P. Zisso May 2, 2020
Re: Deck is gone (with pics) [Re: Zisso] #357288
06/03/22 05:32 PM
06/03/22 05:32 PM
Toronto, ON
jarn Offline
Old Hand
jarn  Offline
Old Hand

Toronto, ON
wub

Look at that smile! Oh my goodness.

Jenn
Neb, Xerxes, and Agis
RIP Luc
RIP Teagan
Re: Deck is gone (with pics) [Re: Zisso] #357289
06/03/22 09:24 PM
06/03/22 09:24 PM
SeanRescueMom Offline
Carpal Tunnel
SeanRescueMom  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Bev, I envy your determination to get this outdoor project done and take into account Gypsy's well being. She looks like she's happily trotting in the last pic. gsdbeggin

Sean - 1998/2014
If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart I'll stay there forever.
Carleton DOB unknown
Neely - 2003/2015
Gizmo -2008/2011
Neeko -1991/2005
Re: Deck is gone (with pics) [Re: SeanRescueMom] #357291
06/03/22 10:44 PM
06/03/22 10:44 PM
Eastern Oregon
Zisso Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Eastern Oregon
Originally Posted by SeanRescueMom
Bev, I envy your determination to get this outdoor project done and take into account Gypsy's well being. She looks like she's happily trotting in the last pic. gsdbeggin

Thank you!

Yes, she was so happy! Off leash in the front yard has never been an option, and other than our walks, is the only real grass under her feet for at least two years. When I first let her loose out there, she was so excited she got the zoomies. I didn't get pics cause my phone was in the house, dang it.

She will be spending the summer in the front yard, because the sod needs time to take root. Sad part about that is I won't really get to enjoy the patio this summer. Good thing about this is we have a HUGE maple tree in the front yard to keep us cool. And of course the new HVAC inside if it is too miserably hot.

Bev~mom to:

R.I.P. Zisso May 2, 2020
Re: Deck is gone (with pics) [Re: Zisso] #357292
06/04/22 05:20 AM
06/04/22 05:20 AM
M
middleofnowhere Online content
Carpal Tunnel
middleofnowhere  Online Content
Carpal Tunnel
M

I'm impressed at the speed of this! Neat~

Re: Deck is gone (with pics) [Re: middleofnowhere] #357294
06/04/22 07:06 PM
06/04/22 07:06 PM
Eastern Oregon
Zisso Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Eastern Oregon
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere
I'm impressed at the speed of this! Neat~

For 8 hours of work so far, I am too. We shall see how the rest of it goes. I have heard sod is labor intense and slow going.

Meanwhile our small front yard is sufficing for us. It rained all morning today so here it is noon and we just came in from a little game of fetch. I haven't been in the back yard today to see if the electricians paint washed away but am glad the contractor put in stakes to mark the direct bury power to the shop.

Bev~mom to:

R.I.P. Zisso May 2, 2020
Re: Deck is gone (with pics) [Re: Zisso] #357299
06/05/22 07:37 PM
06/05/22 07:37 PM
Eastern Oregon
Zisso Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Eastern Oregon
Sunday morning...

While it is not the best time of year to transplant a honeysuckle bush, it has to be moved due to the yard tilling etc coming up, so I moved it today. I am hoping I didn't kill it. It never did like where it was because it didn't get enough sunlight, thanks to the maple trees, so who knows...it might live and have a happier life in the front yard! At least I hope so!

I would love mine to look like this:
[Linked Image]

Bev~mom to:

R.I.P. Zisso May 2, 2020
Re: Deck is gone (with pics) [Re: Zisso] #357307
06/08/22 09:25 PM
06/08/22 09:25 PM
Eastern Oregon
Zisso Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Eastern Oregon
Apparently this crew doesn't work on Friday, which frankly is typical about this town...no school on Friday's, and many places don't work, other than grocery and retail stores, pharmacy's etc

So they only worked 4 hours 2 days last week. Monday was supposed to be stormy and wet so no work. Yesterday the contractor had one guy rototill the back yard. Today, a couple guys were supposed to come rake out the yard and they were to bring in top soil and get everything leveled out so they can start laying sod. Not one person showed up all day. The contractor is having problems with his cell phone- so no call either.

So that is another day of delays. Tomorrow they won't be able to lay the sod because of their neglect today. I am fully expecting to hear that they couldn't get the top soil today, which will tell me a few things. Mainly that this project is not top priority, that the contractor has spread himself too thin, and that he is not good at scheduling materials needed. To say I am disappointed is an understatement. One thing that is not in our contract though, is timing. No promise to complete the job within a set period of time. Lesson learned on my part. I feel foolish for not getting that in writing. I have paid nearly $9K and they have been here 3 half days. The concrete patio floor is done and the back yard to tilled. They have a Long ways to go to satisfy the contract, and I am starting to feel that it is going to be barely satisfied. The help takes no initiative to do something extra- like yesterday the guy couldn't bother to move two cinder blocks that I couldn't move due to my shoulder.

In other news, Gypsy is going stir crazy too. I have not felt great, or even somewhat good for some time now and taking her for walks is tough. But necessary. The front yard is not sufficient to get her enough exercise. And to be honest, it is boring. It is nice to let her out there to potty, but quite small when it comes to getting a good run in. So despite how I feel, I have been walking her. I just need to take her earlier in the day. She will keep me on my toes and not let me succumb to silly notions that I don't feel great.

Bev~mom to:

R.I.P. Zisso May 2, 2020
Re: Deck is gone (with pics) [Re: Zisso] #357308
06/08/22 09:33 PM
06/08/22 09:33 PM
Toronto, ON
jarn Offline
Old Hand
jarn  Offline
Old Hand

Toronto, ON
Oh geez Bev that's a real shame. I hope they come through. Gypsy is a good girl to keep things doing. I hope the yard comes together more tomorrow than anticipated.

Jenn
Neb, Xerxes, and Agis
RIP Luc
RIP Teagan
Re: Deck is gone (with pics) [Re: Zisso] #357309
06/09/22 12:07 AM
06/09/22 12:07 AM
SeanRescueMom Offline
Carpal Tunnel
SeanRescueMom  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

This is awful but with the help shortage and lack of work ethic nowadays it doesn't surprise me. I sincerely hope they get their act in order or you may have to light a fire underneath them, lol. wink I'm glad you have been able to put your own shoulder issues aside to walk Gypsy and I'm sure she appreciate it.

Sean - 1998/2014
If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart I'll stay there forever.
Carleton DOB unknown
Neely - 2003/2015
Gizmo -2008/2011
Neeko -1991/2005
Re: Deck is gone (with pics) [Re: Zisso] #357311
06/09/22 04:54 PM
06/09/22 04:54 PM
Eastern Oregon
Zisso Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Eastern Oregon
Thank you Ladies!

Today is another no show day. I called the contractor. He said that yesterday was a 'Maybe' the guys would come rake out and bring in top soil....I beg to differ. He said they would be here to do that, and they would lay sod today. Yesterday, in the early evening we had a bit of rain. They could have gotten the soil in and the yard raked just fine. He had asked me about if I had sprinklers so I could water the soil a bit for the sod to be laid on, but I explained that I tend to over water and he said he would water it down before the sod instead. That little bit of rain would have been perfect for the sod or possibly not quite enough.

BUT today he said they are framing up something on another job so not coming today at all, because my yard is muddy. It is not. It is 10am and barely damp. Now he says the guys Might come tomorrow to rake out the yard and get it leveled up (for which they have to bring in top soil), and that Monday they will build the roof for my patio. He said it doesn't make sense to lay the sod first cause then they will be walking all over it to bring materials in to build it. I agree. The sod going in today was his thoughtless plan two days ago. I now KNOW that he is terrible at planning his jobs, and that my project is not his top priority and that he has spread himself too thin. With basically only 3 guys working for him and probably at least 3 other jobs going, they sure can't be everywhere at once.

It really angers me that he was so anxious to get a 3rd check from me the other day (Tuesday) and I have had none of them here since. I feel almost like I am financing projects for other people at this point, and with his lack of proper scheduling, I am praying his manages finances better! I have paid close to $9K and gotten maybe $3K work out of them so far at best. They won't get another check from me until I see some major progress!

Bev~mom to:

R.I.P. Zisso May 2, 2020
Re: Deck is gone (with pics) [Re: Zisso] #357313
06/10/22 07:09 AM
06/10/22 07:09 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

Projects relying on other people -- often very frustrating.... at least that's my experience. I need to call about my construction project because you are scaring me!

But ... Your honeysuckle bush is pretty flashy. Mine are just a mundane pink.

Hope the guys show up soon I know you;ll love it when it is done... Let's hope that's soon...

Re: Deck is gone (with pics) [Re: middleofnowhere] #357314
06/11/22 12:16 AM
06/11/22 12:16 AM
Eastern Oregon
Zisso Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Eastern Oregon
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere
Projects relying on other people -- often very frustrating.... at least that's my experience. I need to call about my construction project because you are scaring me!

But ... Your honeysuckle bush is pretty flashy. Mine are just a mundane pink.

Hope the guys show up soon I know you;ll love it when it is done... Let's hope that's soon...

Middle, That is what I want my honeysuckle too look like. Mine is actually puny because it never got a lot of light thanks to the stupid maple trees wink

Bev~mom to:

R.I.P. Zisso May 2, 2020
Re: Deck is gone (with pics) [Re: Zisso] #357326
06/13/22 04:18 PM
06/13/22 04:18 PM
Eastern Oregon
Zisso Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Eastern Oregon
Soooo

Today is Monday the 13th.
I have not seen anyone from the contractor since last Tuesday when he had 2 guys come to 'rake out' my back yard. They did a crappy job, IMO. Also did not hear a word either all week. Today he called me and said they are coming Wednesday to build the roof of my patio and will lay sod on Friday. I am going to try to pull weeds out there next to the fences today and tomorrow. Some will be easy, some not. His guy also did a crappy job tilling, missing a large section up by the front gate in the side yard. They also have to replace the fascia board that came off with the deck and do some repairs to the siding and I am Not letting him skip it. I have everything documented, including a video of the crappy work done so far.

Meanwhile I have been walking Gypsy nearly every day, like it or not, because she needs the exercise. She will go bat shit crazy without walks since she has no access to the back yard.

This has made me realize just how important that yard is to us!

I am also filling in for my brothers housekeeper as she has not been feeling good, so need to go over and check out his house. Take out the trash, clean his bathroom, sweep n mop etc. So time for me to get in gear and take care of business!

Bev~mom to:

R.I.P. Zisso May 2, 2020
Re: Deck is gone (with pics) [Re: Zisso] #357327
06/13/22 10:13 PM
06/13/22 10:13 PM
Toronto, ON
jarn Offline
Old Hand
jarn  Offline
Old Hand

Toronto, ON
Wow. That's brutal Bev. I would be so angry. I'm glad you're documenting.

Jenn
Neb, Xerxes, and Agis
RIP Luc
RIP Teagan
Re: Deck is gone (with pics) [Re: jarn] #357335
06/14/22 04:54 PM
06/14/22 04:54 PM
Eastern Oregon
Zisso Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Eastern Oregon
Originally Posted by jarn
Wow. That's brutal Bev. I would be so angry. I'm glad you're documenting.

Thank you.

Documenting is the only way to save my butt. The contractor did call yesterday to let me know what the schedule is looking like this week:

Wednesday- build the cover for the patio
(Note: 1) I have been advised that when they put up the 2x6 rafters, to make sure they use brackets as opposed to toenailing screws in 2) When the demo'd the deck a large piece of the fascia board came with it, which has to be replaced, and must be done before they begin building the cover to allow room to get it in there)

Friday- lay sod (Note: they also still have to bring in top soil to level the yard out and cover the roots of the maple trees that are exposed)

Due to the way this contractor has failed to work daily, I feel like I am going to have to stay on top of all of this to make sure he doesn't cut corners to maximize his profit. For the amount of money I am paying for this work, I expect high quality work.

I went out yesterday to the back yard and pulled weeds, then sprayed them all. Spent nearly $50 for Round up concentrate to do it, and only diluted it 50/50. I don't want the sod laid next to weeds that might gravitate to fresh new grass. And the contractor is obviously not going to take time to take care of this detail.

Also a matter to note for my own purpose is that the neighbors have fence boards to replace and need to fix the broken part of their fence, and while they did do 5 boards over a week ago, the important part is still in need of repair, which they were supposed to do before the sod was laid.....grrrr.

And I will acknowledge that my project is weather dependent and our weather is still overcast, with showers, and has not had many days above 65 degrees. I will also acknowledge that the neighbors have two kids in sports that they are excelling in and have lots of extra games, etc. I will not, however, let either off the hook just because it is inconvenient for them. The neighbors have been promising to fix that fence for 6 years.

At any rate, I have errands to run today and need to get going. Gypsy has been getting lots of walks and front yard time in between the rain showers, but we might not get that far today.

Bev~mom to:

R.I.P. Zisso May 2, 2020
Re: Deck is gone (with pics) [Re: Zisso] #357338
06/15/22 04:54 PM
06/15/22 04:54 PM
Eastern Oregon
Zisso Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Eastern Oregon
June 15th

Contractor and crew is going to build the cover for my patio today.

I did a walk through with the contractor (AJ) and we talked about everything I was concerned about. He quelled my worries. He showed me how they are going to attach the 6x6 posts to the concrete, and we talked about brackets for the 2x6 rafters. I feel much better. The delay has been weather related- we have barely gotten to 65 F and had plenty of rain to prevent any work being accomplished.

We talked about how his guys didn't do a very good job of raking out the yard, how they left a small pile of crap they did rake out just piled up in the back my the crawl space. He said they are going to get the butts chewed. They didn't even touch the side yard with a rake! I went out the other day and pulled weeds. I explained it was all I could do because of my bad shoulder and he is going to have the guys do more on weed pulling too.

Gypsy is doing ok with the guys being around. I need to walk her but won't go when they are here. I know better than to trust anyone.

Update: I walked away before posting this and they now have the basic frame of the roof/cover for the patio done.

I am catching up on housework while they work. Two guys are working on the yard and two are doing the construction. Amazing all 4 are here today!

Bev~mom to:

R.I.P. Zisso May 2, 2020
Re: Deck is gone (with pics) [Re: Zisso] #357339
06/15/22 06:06 PM
06/15/22 06:06 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

Well, OK then! What a good turn on this project!

Photos please.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Meet our Rescue
by DarkEyes. 06/25/22 11:30 AM
Missing Zisso
by Zisso. 06/19/22 12:40 AM
Here's Yara Mary Jane!
by Islandgsds. 06/07/22 09:39 PM
Deck is gone (with pics)
by Zisso. 06/01/22 11:15 PM
Agis PEED on someone!!!!
by jarn. 05/28/22 03:23 PM
Sasha watching the chicken
by Shilohsmom. 05/26/22 10:23 PM
Caleb Moose - Run Free
by Woodreb. 05/14/22 01:36 AM
The eyes have it
by middleofnowhere. 05/02/22 05:32 AM
Tough week for Nebbers
by jarn. 04/25/22 12:17 AM
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Anniversary sigh
by jarn. 06/17/22 11:39 PM
What to do
by Shilohsmom. 06/02/22 04:34 PM
Where is Lisa?
by Islandgsds. 05/19/22 11:31 PM
Rosa's Hello old Friends, continued part 2
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 01/13/15 03:49 PM
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (middleofnowhere), 16 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Members
GSDman, GSDluvah, Bonwno, Mongoski, Lawz67
3048 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics18,762
Posts292,547
Members3,048
Most Online991
Jan 15th, 2020