Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: The eyes have it [Re: middleofnowhere] #357166
05/09/22 05:21 PM
05/09/22 05:21 PM
Mary Jane Online content
Carpal Tunnel
Mary Jane  Online Content
Carpal Tunnel

OK so BTE2 got each eye held open to endure searing lights and poking instruments and she managed to enjoy liver treats and a 10 h(?) drive with beloved owner? You have a good girl there.

hoping the new treatments work,
MJ

Re: The eyes have it [Re: middleofnowhere] #357168
05/09/22 10:02 PM
05/09/22 10:02 PM
M
middleofnowhere Online content OP
Carpal Tunnel
middleofnowhere  Online Content OP
Carpal Tunnel
M

I think it was just staining eye drops, then the lights. Drive was only 3.5 hrs each way (two lane but little traffic after the turn-off which rather surprised me. I'm used to the Santiam which is nuts with traffic any more.) Until the turnoff (just the other side of the pass) I can travel pretty fast if the road is good. This dog is rather amazing in many ways. The new eye drops should be in the mailbox tomorrow. (Ok for laughs, the mailbox is 1.5 miles from my house.)

Thanks for the encouraging wishes. I think the new stuff will work. I've had this problem with BTE#1 and managed it at even higher altitude, more sunlight, etc. We're signed up to see someone closer in June. (animal opthal. will be moving up here then)

Re: The eyes have it [Re: middleofnowhere] #357185
05/12/22 01:31 AM
05/12/22 01:31 AM
S
Shilohsmom Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Shilohsmom  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
S

Did the drops arrive? I'm hoping you can see some improvement.

Rosa

Proud Mom to Kody and Sasha
and never to be forgotten, Shiloh, Shoshi and Eli
Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks its the greatest dog that ever lived!
Re: The eyes have it [Re: middleofnowhere] #357186
05/13/22 04:11 AM
05/13/22 04:11 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

It's hard to say. They've only been in use for two days. We have another appointment down there on the 25th If the left eye seems sensitive to the other meds, I'll try to get in to the dr. in town before then. Unfortunately, the vet I trust most has cut back through the summer to being in one week a month. That worries me a bit as the last one I saw down there was someone I had not seen before and the others are pretty recent grads.
The med routine is brutal for this old geezer. (Geezer dog doesn't mind as much.) ointment in one eye and steriods in the other 3 x a day; compounded eye drops in each eye 2 x a day. I made myself a chart and still get confused.... The dog doesn't whine about it but as you can see, I do!

Re: The eyes have it [Re: middleofnowhere] #357211
05/17/22 02:01 AM
05/17/22 02:01 AM
S
Shilohsmom Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Shilohsmom  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
S

Glad to hear the pups handling the drops well. That's half the battle. I have to write things down too when the pups require multiple treatments in a day, it helps.

That's quite a cut back in hours for your Vet. It seems Vets are able to take a lot more time off these days.... maybe its all the money they are making when they are in the office.

Rosa

Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks its the greatest dog that ever lived!
Re: The eyes have it [Re: middleofnowhere] #357220
05/18/22 12:34 AM
05/18/22 12:34 AM
Toronto, ON
jarn Offline
Old Hand
jarn  Offline
Old Hand

Toronto, ON
Oh geez I missed this! Keep us updated! Keeping track of meds which and when - yeah - but if they help!

Jenn
Neb, Xerxes, and Agis
Timothy and Cordelia (kitties)
RIP Luc
RIP Teagan
Re: The eyes have it [Re: jarn] #357221
05/19/22 12:43 AM
05/19/22 12:43 AM
S
Shilohsmom Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Shilohsmom  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
S

Just really hoping the meds do the trick crossedfingers and that she remains a good patient crossedfingers crossedfingers

Rosa

Re: The eyes have it [Re: middleofnowhere] #357224
05/19/22 11:19 PM
05/19/22 11:19 PM
Manitoulin Island, Ontario, Ca...
Islandgsds Offline
Pooh-Bah
Islandgsds  Offline
Pooh-Bah

So just an update on the puppers. First, Augie had his stitches out last week and he's doing great. He had to wear the collar yet because of the one leg wear the stich came out early, but its healing nicely so he doesn't have to wear the collar anymore. I'm sure that's a big relief for him.
Now to keep him from playing so rough with Yara, is the next thing. If they are out and you turn your back for a moment, off the go quietly into the bush so we have to watch out for that so the he doesn't over do it.

So, now for Yaras news. First thing , she is in heat so I've been watching her closely so she doesn't go out of my sight. When I can't be with her she has been spending more time in the kennel.

Speaking of the kennel. Yara loves to play in the water, she loves to snap at the water as it comes out of the hose. It both funny and annoying at times A couple of weeks ago, I was watering the seedlings in my little greenhouse when she was standing there snapping at the water every chance she got. I finished watering the seedlings and decided to wet down the soil I have in my sink to keep the dust down when I pot up.
The way I was holding the hose I had to put my hand at the end of the wand in order to direct the water down instead of just shooting out on the wall. As soon as I put my hand out Yara decided to snap at the water yeah, you guessed it, she contacted with my hand and put a tooth through the skin
Now I'm not one for advocating harsh disapline but my immediate reaction was to start bonking her on the head with my water wad and shouting at her about her bad decision to chomp on my hand. She just sat there soaking wet looking both surprised and chastised that Mom would get so mad at her
I went in and soaked my hand in Epsom salts for 30 minutes and went to see the Dr the next day. I dont know how it works down in the states but in Canada, all dog bites must be reported if the skin is broke plus since it was a puncture wound they wanted me on a course of antibiotics.
I remember the drill.🙄

So the other day I finally get a call from the health board about "the dog bite". He's coming tomorrow to check her and sign the release papers. I explained how it happened and he understands it's just an accident caused by bad timing on both our parts
The good news is we both are still healthy and she no longer snaps at the water like she used to. She is starting to learn there is a time and a place for everything. Good girl Yara. Now if we can make it through this heat cycle.

Last edited by Islandgsds; 05/19/22 11:20 PM.

Sandra
Loki 8/23/08-1016/20 & Augie, bday-11/13 Gday-3/14,
Larka 1/4/06-8/16/17 Palla, 7/16/06-6/10/16 you were the tree that gave me shelter, the rock that gave me strength, for ever in my heart, until my journey has run its length. I will always love you.
Re: The eyes have it [Re: middleofnowhere] #357225
05/19/22 11:25 PM
05/19/22 11:25 PM
Islandgsds Offline
Pooh-Bah
Islandgsds  Offline
Pooh-Bah

So just an update on the puppers. First, Augie had his stitches out last week and he's doing great. He had to wear the collar yet because of the one leg wear the stich came out early, but its healing nicely so he doesn't have to wear the collar anymore. I'm sure that's a big relief for him.
Now to keep him from playing so rough with Yara, is the next thing. If they are out and you turn your back for a moment, off the go quietly into the bush so we have to watch out for that so the he doesn't over do it.

So, now for Yaras news. First thing , she is in heat so I've been watching her closely so she doesn't go out of my sight. When I can't be with her she has been spending more time in the kennel.

Speaking of the kennel. Yara loves to play in the water, she loves to snap at the water as it comes out of the hose. It both funny and annoying at times A couple of weeks ago, I was watering the seedlings in my little greenhouse when she was standing there snapping at the water every chance she got. I finished watering the seedlings and decided to wet down the soil I have in my sink to keep the dust down when I pot up.
The way I was holding the hose I had to put my hand at the end of the wand in order to direct the water down instead of just shooting out on the wall. As soon as I put my hand out Yara decided to snap at the water yeah, you guessed it, she contacted with my hand and put a tooth through the skin
Now I'm not one for advocating harsh disapline but my immediate reaction was to start bonking her on the head with my water wad and shouting at her about her bad decision to chomp on my hand. She just sat there soaking wet looking both surprised and chastised that Mom would get so mad at her
I went in and soaked my hand in Epsom salts for 30 minutes and went to see the Dr the next day. I dont know how it works down in the states but in Canada, all dog bites must be reported if the skin is broke plus since it was a puncture wound they wanted me on a course of antibiotics.
I remember the drill.🙄

So the other day I finally get a call from the health board about "the dog bite". He's coming tomorrow to check her and sign the release papers. I explained how it happened and he understands it's just an accident caused by bad timing on both our parts
The good news is we both are still healthy and she no longer snaps at the water like she used to. She is starting to learn there is a time and a place for everything. Good girl Yara. Now if we can make it through this heat cycle.

Sandra
Loki 8/23/08-1016/20 & Augie, bday-11/13 Gday-3/14,
Larka 1/4/06-8/16/17 Palla, 7/16/06-6/10/16 you were the tree that gave me shelter, the rock that gave me strength, for ever in my heart, until my journey has run its length. I will always love you.
Re: The eyes have it [Re: middleofnowhere] #357227
05/20/22 08:24 AM
05/20/22 08:24 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

Sorry about your hand -- What the club said in Arkansas was "keep your hand out of your dog's mouth!" And figure out how to explain a puncture wound as something plausible but not a dog bite just in case it needs attention. So many of these wrecks are our fault. Mine are - but the dog still gets chewed out. Even a minor wreck at this outfit = me whining (laud, emphatic "OUCH") and the dog is immediately contrite. Usually, they realize their mistake even before I yelp. I don't know what the requirements are down here for reporting. Knowing my country, there are likely something in excess of 50 different reporting requirements.

Good news right now on BTE2's eyes. Med routine seems to be working. Next week we go in for our follow up check.

Re: The eyes have it [Re: middleofnowhere] #357233
05/23/22 02:17 AM
05/23/22 02:17 AM
S
Shilohsmom Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Shilohsmom  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
S

That's great news about BTE2's eyes happyboogie I'm so happy for both of you. Good luck this week during your follow up visit. Make a day off it. Maybe you two can stop for lunch.

I agree about never saying something was a dog bite. I know when I've gotten bitten it's always been my own fault and the last thing I want is my dog to be labelled a biter. If I ever have to seek medical attention I plan to just say it was a dog, I don't know the dog but I know it's had its shots. That's all I know, so don't ask me any questions.

Rosa

Re: The eyes have it [Re: middleofnowhere] #357241
05/25/22 11:39 AM
05/25/22 11:39 AM
Mary Jane Online content
Carpal Tunnel
Mary Jane  Online Content
Carpal Tunnel

Glad to hear about BTE2's eyes and Augie's leg. Sorry about Sandra's hand.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Agis PEED on someone!!!!
by jarn. 05/28/22 03:23 PM
Sasha watching the chicken
by Shilohsmom. 05/26/22 10:23 PM
Caleb Moose - Run Free
by Woodreb. 05/14/22 01:36 AM
NH Spring 2022
by Woodreb. 05/09/22 11:52 PM
My Caleb Moose
by Woodreb. 05/08/22 02:04 AM
The eyes have it
by middleofnowhere. 05/02/22 05:32 AM
Whining handler blues
by middleofnowhere. 05/02/22 05:16 AM
Abbey's Garden
by DarkEyes. 05/02/22 03:02 AM
Tough week for Nebbers
by jarn. 04/25/22 12:17 AM
Caleb Joins the GSD 13 Club Today
by Woodreb. 03/29/22 02:50 PM
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Where is Lisa?
by Islandgsds. 05/19/22 11:31 PM
Off again
by jarn. 05/05/22 05:18 PM
I'm devastated
by Shilohsmom. 05/02/22 05:34 PM
Stay at Home Projects
by Woodreb. 08/15/20 12:46 AM
Rosa's Hello old Friends, continued part 2
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 01/13/15 03:49 PM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 3 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Members
GSDman, GSDluvah, Bonwno, Mongoski, Lawz67
3048 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics18,755
Posts292,420
Members3,048
Most Online991
Jan 15th, 2020