07/14/21 02:55 PM
07/14/21 02:55 PM
S
Shilohsmom Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Shilohsmom  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
S

The night before last Sasha woke me up. She appeared to be chocking on something. The best I can describe she was trying to cough something up. I checked and didn't see anything. I let her go potty and sat down on the sofa with her. Her stomach was big and hard. Right away I gave her Gas X. I waited a couple of minutes and gave her another treatment. At that point she stated passing gas. I repeated the treatment two more times and it seemed we got it and she was much more comfortable.

Was this the beginning of bloat??? Is it possible that I stopped it with the Gas X? She's been fine ever since but I'm a basket case. She has her physical next Thursday and hopefully I can get her in for a gastroplexy very soon. Hopefully, G-d willing I have enough credit but I do have friends that will help.

I did take out insurance on her the next day which I believe goes into affect tomorrow, but there might be an issue as she is past due for her physical due to Covid. I'm not sure how that would work.

Is there any way I misdiagnosised this?? I did take her up to my neighbor who is a Vet and she thought she looked just fine. This was the next morning and after the gas had passed.

Rosa

Proud Mom to Kody and Sasha
and never to be forgotten, Shiloh, Shoshi and Eli
Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks its the greatest dog that ever lived!
Re: Was it Bloat? [Re: Shilohsmom] #355592
07/14/21 04:53 PM
07/14/21 04:53 PM
S
Shilohsmom Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Shilohsmom  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
S

The mystery gets bigger.... I just went out to clean up the front yard. I didn't clean up yesterday, we mostly just stayed in bed. Well....I just discovered a large throw up pile. It was clearly food with some grass in it. So do you think it could have been just an upset stomach?? Do they get gas with an upset stomach??? If she was bloating she wouldn't have been able to throw up anything right? I know her bowel movements have been fine.

German Shepherd experts I need your help!!!! please

Rosa

Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks its the greatest dog that ever lived!
Re: Was it Bloat? [Re: Shilohsmom] #355594
07/14/21 06:06 PM
07/14/21 06:06 PM
M
middleofnowhere Online content
Carpal Tunnel
middleofnowhere  Online Content
Carpal Tunnel
M

OK here's my experience with bloat ---

dog upset earlier by application of varmint repellant. (laid down on top of it and had to be lifted off).

This was my picky, slow, careful eater dog. but she was rather narrow/deep chested)

Restless.

Vomit consisted of bubbly mucoid stuff so I thought just needed to vomit

Only when I went to guide her to the door did I discover the stomach was distended. - as in noticeably larger and tight like a drum. (long haired GSD stomach not all that noticeable on visual)

One symithicone tablet and started callin evets. Took her to the one that wasn't presently working on an emergency.

Rosa, if her gut is working, well, her gut is working. I think we tend to be paranoid about bloat. Was her stomach hard? I'd talk to the vet about the event, your subsequent findings fears, etc. I wouldn't mention the tacking in this conversation but keep it to the event itself.

I knew a person in Wyoming who saw her dog with a distended bellly and rushed her to the vet. The dog had found the food bag and helped herself.

Re reading your post -- possibly, certainly needed to move some gas. Just hard to say from here.

Last edited by middleofnowhere; 07/14/21 06:09 PM.
Re: Was it Bloat? [Re: middleofnowhere] #355595
07/14/21 06:32 PM
07/14/21 06:32 PM
S
Shilohsmom Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Shilohsmom  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
S

Thanks Middle. I really appreciate feedback here. Her stomach was larger and hard (not soft like it normally is). I forgot to mention that not only did she fart but she burped as well. It seemed clear to me that the gas was being expelled. I just don't know if you can stop bloat by using gas meds. I think everyone here knows bloat is a serious condition where you usually have to rush your dog to ER. Can dogs just get really gassy?

Your 100% right about being paranoid about Bloat which is why I'm here. I honestly don't know if I'm over reacting. The thing is her behavior was just like Shoshi's when she bloated. But with Shoshi there was nothing that relieved the gas and her tummy ended up flipping.

As much as I hate putting her through the surgery I do think it's the only thing to do. She is so high strung and constantly on the go. She doesn't eat too fast and I do take all the precautions around food and exercise.

I guess finding that pile of throw up just threw me for a loop. Maybe she just had an upset tummy???

Rosa

Re: Was it Bloat? [Re: Shilohsmom] #355599
07/14/21 10:44 PM
07/14/21 10:44 PM
Toronto, ON
jarn Offline
Old Hand
jarn  Offline
Old Hand

Toronto, ON
I don't know enough about bloat in terms of personal experience to really say.

Like I said in the other thread, when Agis was a puppy, he, Xerxes, and then Neb all came down with a short-lived tummy bug. Our vet told us to try Gas-X after examining Neb (Agis had been seen at emerg on the weekend) and finding him full of gas. Made a huge, quick, difference.

Jenn
Neb, Xerxes, and Agis
Timothy and Cordelia (kitties)
RIP Luc
RIP Teagan
Re: Was it Bloat? [Re: jarn] #355601
07/15/21 12:14 AM
07/15/21 12:14 AM
S
Shilohsmom Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Shilohsmom  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
S

Thanks Jenn. I'm thinking I'll never know for sure. Glad the Gas X worked for both of us.

Rosa

Re: Was it Bloat? [Re: Shilohsmom] #355604
07/15/21 02:17 AM
07/15/21 02:17 AM
Toronto, ON
jarn Offline
Old Hand
jarn  Offline
Old Hand

Toronto, ON
I'm so glad it worked for you. So scary. At least with my boys I knew it was a stomach bug. I worry about bloat too. I wish Agis hadn't been neutered as a baby because I would've liked to get a gastropexy done then.

Jenn
Neb, Xerxes, and Agis
Timothy and Cordelia (kitties)
RIP Luc
RIP Teagan
Re: Was it Bloat? [Re: Shilohsmom] #355606
07/15/21 02:25 PM
07/15/21 02:25 PM
Mary Jane Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary Jane  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by Shilohsmom
Glad the Gas X worked for both of us.

Let's repeat this a thousand times!

Regarding tacking the stomach-maybe they can do it laparoscopically-which is far easier for healing. When Nova was spayed, she actually just had her ovaries removed and her stomach tacked at the same time and all that was by laparoscopic surgery. It's a much smaller incision, supposed to be less painful, and heals faster.

Anyway, talk a lot to your vet about this incident.

Your dogs are very lucky to have you.

MJ

Re: Was it Bloat? [Re: Mary Jane] #355614
07/15/21 11:25 PM
07/15/21 11:25 PM
S
Shilohsmom Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Shilohsmom  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
S

I've got two calls out there for quotes, but it sounds like it will be a couple of days before anyone gets back to me. I was reluctant to tell the Vet what happened because of the pending insurance, but I need to tell him exactly what happened. I so wished I had gotten her tacked when she was spayed. It was like an additional $900 and I just didn't have that at the time what with the spay charges. Of course, I'm kicking myself for that decision now.

One of the places I'm waiting for a quote from is for laparoscopic surgery. That's my preferance. One place called me back and for them to do it it's $4,000-$5,000. This other place says right on their website that its available for $1400-$1600 which is a good price. Unfortunately, it's across the bay and I don't drive much anymore but I'll do whatever I have to do for Sasha.

Rosa

Re: Was it Bloat? [Re: Shilohsmom] #355641
07/23/21 05:50 PM
07/23/21 05:50 PM
Mary Jane Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary Jane  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Did Sasha go to the vet this week?

Re: Was it Bloat? [Re: Mary Jane] #355642
07/24/21 03:49 AM
07/24/21 03:49 AM
S
Shilohsmom Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Shilohsmom  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
S

Thanks for following up. I've just been so stressed lately. Yes, Sasha got her physical on Thursday and we had a long talk about what happened, what her personality is like, everything having to do with Sasha. I wanted to make sure I was putting her needs first and not just over-reacting to what happened. We decided a gastroplexy is our best bet. I was concerned about recovery and he said it's basically like a spay. I had Eli tacked but I couldn't remember what the recovery was like, so we went over that.

He quoted $1300 which I thought was a fair price, so she's scheduled for surgery on August 10th. If there's something I can do now that can possibly save her life in the future, then I want to do it. I hate to put her through the extra surgery but I'm not going to rest well until its done. And at that cost, I might just save up and get Kody done as well. But that's something I'd have to talk to the vet about. I don't think he fits the mold as much as she does, he's very laid back.

Rosa

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Vote for July 2021 Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 07/29/21 04:05 PM
Chaos
by jarn. 07/21/21 01:01 PM
Thank goodness
by jarn. 07/19/21 08:07 PM
You should've let him out on the balcony...
by jarn. 07/15/21 09:38 PM
Was it Bloat?
by Shilohsmom. 07/14/21 02:55 PM
Or not...
by middleofnowhere. 07/12/21 01:35 AM
July 2021 Photo Contest Entries
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 07/05/21 08:55 PM
Comments for July 2021 Photo Contest.
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 07/05/21 08:53 PM
Vote for June 2021 Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 07/02/21 01:51 PM
30 Day Dog Challenge
by Shilohsmom. 06/03/21 04:51 PM
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Irrationally upset
by jarn. 07/24/21 10:49 PM
Paging all GSD experts
by Shilohsmom. 07/14/21 04:55 PM
Oh hay!
by middleofnowhere. 07/13/21 10:42 PM
Box Elder Bugs and Diatomaceous Earth!
by Zisso. 07/09/21 03:38 AM
Any sleepwalkers?
by jarn. 07/05/21 11:52 PM
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (middleofnowhere), 6 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Members
ronsjostrom, bobbygbird, Tdio, buter, 8ilDvmis
3033 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics18,633
Posts290,838
Members3,033
Most Online991
Jan 15th, 2020