Alexandria, NH
Woodreb Online coffee
Carpal Tunnel
Woodreb  Online Coffee
Carpal Tunnel

Alexandria, NH
Originally Posted by jarn
Thanks Rosa.

An intriguing development. A week or two ago, when his liver values came back elevated, I asked the vet if him getting pepcid (which he gets twice a day for vomiting bile - he also gets fed 4x/day now) could affect it. She looked and said no evidence. I called today to see if there was anything else we could do for him before he gets the retest of ALT.

She called me back and said 'I was going to call you today. I poked around and found that while there's no evidence that pepcid raises ALT in dogs, it has been shown to do so in humans.'

Hmmm...not a definite causal link but enough that we're going to slowly transition him off of pepcid and see how he does. We'll keep him on the milk thistle as well and retest June 11th as planned.

And I pick up gabapentin today to help with pain until the retest.

Well, many of the medications that we take are first studied in other mammals because they can give similar responses to the medication. There may be data somewhere that could support what you think, it's just not necessarily available and/or published for the general public. If I were your vet, I think I's see if I could find out what animals were used in initial studies of pepcid for people before it first came on the market.

Johanna

Caleb (aka Caleb-Moose)
Ciara(aka Ciara Belle, Black Devil)

RIP Aodhán, Rica, Max, Kelly - gone but never forgotten - forever in my heart
Re: Neb's liver and arthritis [Re: jarn] #355300
05/18/21 11:55 AM
05/18/21 11:55 AM
Toronto, ON
jarn Offline OP
Old Hand
jarn  Offline OP
Old Hand

Toronto, ON
I believe she looked for that. I trust her. Like I said, she wasn't able to develop a clear correlation, but she thought it was worth tapering him off before the retest, especially since he's been doing well on four meals a day.

Jenn
Neb, Xerxes, and Agis
Timothy and Cordelia (kitties)
RIP Luc
RIP Teagan
Re: Neb's liver and arthritis [Re: jarn] #355301
05/18/21 12:50 PM
05/18/21 12:50 PM
Alexandria, NH
Woodreb Online coffee
Carpal Tunnel
Woodreb  Online Coffee
Carpal Tunnel

Alexandria, NH
Jenn, I wasn't trying to say anything against your vet with my comment.

I worked in the pharmaceutical field most of my career as an analytical chemist and I found that very few of my colleagues seemed to think "outside the box" when it came to looking for solutions to solve a problem. If they were looking for ideas on how to develop an analysis, they would look at pharma articles only. Very few would think to look at articles say from the petroleum field or the food industry. But I would, and if I were a vet or doctor, I wouldn't limit my research to only one area.

Here's to all good vets who think outside the box.

Last edited by Woodreb; 05/18/21 12:51 PM.

Johanna

Caleb (aka Caleb-Moose)
Ciara(aka Ciara Belle, Black Devil)

RIP Aodhán, Rica, Max, Kelly - gone but never forgotten - forever in my heart
Re: Neb's liver and arthritis [Re: jarn] #355302
05/18/21 01:23 PM
05/18/21 01:23 PM
Toronto, ON
jarn Offline OP
Old Hand
jarn  Offline OP
Old Hand

Toronto, ON
Thanks Woodreb. Sorry if I came across snappy - I am in a very grumpy mood today for no real reason! Not sure why, but I am super grumpy.

I went off the pill because I think I'm in perimenopause? Possibly? Anyways, I have my period, and I don't know if the pill previously evened out my moods when menstruating or if I am just grumpy for no real reason.

Jenn
Neb, Xerxes, and Agis
RIP Luc
RIP Teagan
Re: Neb's liver and arthritis [Re: jarn] #355327
05/25/21 11:52 PM
05/25/21 11:52 PM
S
Shilohsmom Online content
Carpal Tunnel
Shilohsmom  Online Content
Carpal Tunnel
S

Just wanted to check in on Jenn and see how your feeling? It's been so long since I've been on the pill I don't remember if it affects the mood. With all you have on your plate right now I'd be surprised if you weren't grump hugging I think this pandemic and coming out of it has affected us in many ways, some that we don't even realize yet.

There's a big grocery story in the same court as where I get my cancer treatment. After treatment I went over and walked through the store picking up a few things. I've got to say it just feels weird being back out there. If the budget will allow I might stick to on line ordering. I use to think what a pain it was not being able to pick out my own food but now its like one less reason to leave my house and just shop online.

Rosa

Proud Mom to Kody and Sasha
and never to be forgotten, Shiloh, Shoshi and Eli
Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks its the greatest dog that ever lived!
Re: Neb's liver and arthritis [Re: jarn] #355332
05/27/21 12:25 PM
05/27/21 12:25 PM
Toronto, ON
jarn Offline OP
Old Hand
jarn  Offline OP
Old Hand

Toronto, ON
Thanks for checking in Rosa. I've been better. It is what it is I suppose. Just trying to take care and stay above the drain.

It is weird to shop again. We have been doing it because food delivery is so expensive here, both with delivery fees and tip but also because you have to shop at more expensive stores.

I hope you're well.

Jenn
Neb, Xerxes, and Agis
RIP Luc
RIP Teagan
Re: Neb's liver and arthritis [Re: jarn] #355334
05/27/21 08:09 PM
05/27/21 08:09 PM
S
Shilohsmom Online content
Carpal Tunnel
Shilohsmom  Online Content
Carpal Tunnel
S

I hear ya Jenn. I've really struggled with things. I worry what 14 months of isolation has done to my social skills. It's really weird but I haven't invited anyone over. I made an open invite to Nancy and normally I'd follow up on that, not this time. My house really is a mess. I spent all morning cleaning the living and dining rooms. It took that long and the rooms aren't that big. I JUST NOW took the microwave I bought for the holidays out of the box and installed it. Hopefully Middle will see that as I don't always get to things. But I'm determined to get the house cleaned up. Maybe then I'll ask Nancy over again. She barely knows Sasha.

I'm not fond of shopping, so I didn't miss out on any of that. I'm thinking I'll stick with Amazon Fresh on some of the things I get that are actually cheaper than in the stores. I eat Okra like crazy and they sell it for $1.29. When I stopped at the store it was $2.19 a bag. So that's a big difference. I just need to stir away from the pricier items. There is that $5.00 tip but it's really worth that not to have to go to the store and bring home all the stuff myself. And I've gotten use to waiting for everything.

Hopefully the mental health of all of us will improve soon. We've been through a lot!!! We are living through a global pandemic. There's been so much uncertainty in so many ways of our lives, it's taken a toll on all of us.

Rosa

Proud Mom to Kody and Sasha
and never to be forgotten, Shiloh, Shoshi and Eli
Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks its the greatest dog that ever lived!
Re: Neb's liver and arthritis [Re: jarn] #355338
05/28/21 03:32 PM
05/28/21 03:32 PM
Toronto, ON
jarn Offline OP
Old Hand
jarn  Offline OP
Old Hand

Toronto, ON
I hear you on the social skills Rosa. I think everyone's a bit like that. It helps me to live with Toby. We saw one friend in March on a patio - things were open for a week before shutting - and that was lovely.

I have been trying to clean more. Toby FINALLY vacuumed the rug in the living room - when I was doing strength and core I'd be like 'Eww I'm getting cat litter on my knees/etc. We don't have that big a place either.

Hopefully Nancy can come by.

I was ordering lentil pasta from Amazon, here they only have the red lentil penne in the stores. Toby hates it. We've stopped as it's expensive, thought it's a shame, their green lentil lasagna sheets were good, even Toby liked them. But we can't afford them, so no more.

I hope all this ends soon. We've got over 65% of adults with at least one shot in Ontario, so I am hopeful we'll be able to camp in June for our anniversary and Toby's birthday. I've left our neighbour hood once since November.

Jenn
Neb, Xerxes, and Agis
RIP Luc
RIP Teagan
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Girls fights of Mama Bear
by Shilohsmom. 06/04/21 12:18 AM
30 Day Dog Challenge
by Shilohsmom. 06/03/21 04:51 PM
June 2021 Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 06/03/21 02:18 PM
Comments for June Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 06/03/21 02:16 PM
Vote for May 2021 Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 05/29/21 09:32 PM
Sprained toe?
by jarn. 05/29/21 04:50 PM
Gypsy update!
by Zisso. 05/21/21 07:23 PM
Neb's liver and arthritis
by jarn. 05/08/21 10:11 PM
May 2021 Photo Contest Entries
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 05/03/21 07:31 PM
Comments for May 2021 Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 05/03/21 07:30 PM
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Our family is growing
by Shilohsmom. 02/17/21 06:05 PM
So how is everyone doing?
by Shilohsmom. 01/31/21 10:22 PM
Rosa's Hello old Friends, continued part 2
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 01/13/15 03:49 PM
Word Association Game - Part 2
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 01/21/13 03:27 PM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 29 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Members
Curtman, timothywhite, Amyjm, Jasper100, CookieBear
3024 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics18,614
Posts290,613
Members3,024
Most Online991
Jan 15th, 2020