11/16/20 03:04 AM
11/16/20 03:04 AM
Tennessee
DarkEyes Offline OP
Enthusiast
DarkEyes  Offline OP
Enthusiast

Tennessee
Abbey had to go back to the vet, I think her third time in a month. I'm losing track, it's been a struggle with Abbey and the kids and trying to be on top of things with hygienic measures for school and work. I can't even remember what the first reason is for but we've been to the vet several times since her last checkup in July and it's just all leading up to the fact that Abbey is getting old and her neurological health is failing. Her brain isn't sending signals to the nerves in her back legs and paws at times now. Peripherical neuropathy I think is the term the vet used? She's not feeling anything in her right paw and started the obsession over it. I understood because I would have these loss of feeling in my hands and feet whenever I had a flareup so yeah, it's awful to have that loss of feeling and it just doesn't feel right. And Abbey is in a lot of pain. Got her on tramadol to go with the deramaxx. Waited on the gabapentin because we did not have much success but then this last visit we are able to get an increase in the dose and to try again. Abbey's paw got infected, even with the ring, the reversed victorian cone, and some other crazy device, she was able to somehow get to it and gnaw on her paw. Such a stubborn dog. Over the weekend, her rear paws would randomly knuckle while she's walking. She's already stumbling once in awhile when it seemed that her legs stopped working while she was turning around and would criss cross her legs. We're going to invest in anti-knuckling boots so she can still walk and reduce risk of more injuries. We got a nice ramp for Abbey so she didn't have to jump up the steps anymore. That stubborn dog would STILL jump over the steps and disregard the ramp no matter what we did. I think at this point we're just gonna have to let things be... no matter what we do that dog is going to cause some sort of injury on herself.

She did stop running for awhile. Once she figured out how to "tolerate" her injured paw she's walking a little more normally again, still with the occasional moments of not being able to use her legs.
[Linked Image]

I knew this was coming but I guess I was in denial. After the vet visit and getting that confirmation of what's happening with her legs and her infected paw, I allowed myself to face it and I cried. I didn't realize it but I've been pushing that feeling aside. But it finally hit me. We're likely in our last months with Abbey. It's the same awful feeling of grief I felt when my dad unexpectedly died but I at least can have time to prepare myself for Abbey's passing. She still has a lot of life in her and I don't know if it's because she's still going because she wants to take care of us or if she's going because she wasn't ready yet. We're bringing home the Anatolian shepherd pup next month and I have wondered if once the next dog starts taking his place as the family protector and Abbey finally starts to "retire" herself to just enjoy the days, that she might be ready to go. I sure hope not. It is our hope that Abbey can really enjoy just laying with us on the porch to watch the kids play instead of being out there keeping up with them and watching for strangers and predators. I thought her herding instincts would slow down by now but she's a true working dog.

She now sleeps in a kennel when we're sleeping/working because she keeps laying on hard floor and creating abrasions on her joints. We usually have rugs throughout the house but that day I was getting the rugs washed.

[Linked Image]

Vet: Abbey needs to be laying on something with cushion. The floor is going to contribute to her joint pain and the skin abrasions on her joints.

Abbey:
[Linked Image]

Abbey.... full of awesomeness... full of stubbornness....

Abbey: 12 years old German Shepherd

Suki: 12 years old grumpy Calico

Bella: Ragdoll. Now living with her best cat friend Ty at an oversized cat condo in Crazy Cat Lady City.

2 little angels/monsters in disguise: My 2 boys
Re: Another vet visit... and it hit me [Re: DarkEyes] #354082
11/16/20 03:54 AM
11/16/20 03:54 AM
Alexandria, NH
Woodreb Online coffee
Carpal Tunnel
Woodreb  Online Coffee
Carpal Tunnel

Alexandria, NH
hug It's never easy watching them get old and having to face that it is time. But I do think that knowing it is coming and having time to prepare somewhat is easier, at least that's true for me. It hurt to lose Rica years ago, but I knew it was coming. In some ways similar to Abbey - she had HD really bad and severe arthritis as a result. She had lost control of her bowels and was starting to become incontinent. We used a harness to help her up the stairs. I think I had prepared myself more than DH did, because I made the effort to, instead of denying it.

Losing Aodhan was much harder because it was so unexpected. I know my DH still feels it and I do as well.

Last edited by Woodreb; 11/16/20 03:55 AM.

Johanna

Caleb (aka Caleb-Moose)
Ciara(aka Ciara Belle, Black Devil)

RIP Aodhán, Rica, Max, Kelly - gone but never forgotten - forever in my heart
Re: Another vet visit... and it hit me [Re: DarkEyes] #354083
11/16/20 01:29 PM
11/16/20 01:29 PM
Toronto, ON
jarn Online content
Addict
jarn  Online Content
Addict

Toronto, ON
I relate to this so hard. Luc had polyneuropathy (he had a paralyzed larynx which then spread to his hind end). We got him a Help Em Up harness (I think that's what they're called) and that helped a bit. He was also in pain, and senile. It was very hard to let him go.

I am so sorry you're going through this. You're doing good for Abbey, and will continue to do so. Thinking of you.

Jenn
Neb, Xerxes, and Agis
Timothy and Cordelia (kitties)
RIP Luc
RIP Teagan
Re: Another vet visit... and it hit me [Re: DarkEyes] #354085
11/16/20 05:23 PM
11/16/20 05:23 PM
Mary Jane Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary Jane  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

What you and Abbey are going through is just awful but way too common. Despite all the marvelous features of GSD, their health can be a problem in my opinion. You are caring for Abbey with head and heart and that's all we can do. She does have a real personality.

please take care,
MJ

Re: Another vet visit... and it hit me [Re: Mary Jane] #354089
11/17/20 02:19 AM
11/17/20 02:19 AM
S
Shilohsmom Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Shilohsmom  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
S

That's a good point MJ, the GSD seems to keep having an awful lot problems as they age. It seems most are getting DM.

I'm sorry to hear of the issues Abbey is having. I love the picture where you have the two nice beds and she's laying on the floor....go figure.

Rosa

Proud Mom to Kody and Sasha
and never to be forgotten, Shiloh, Shoshi and Eli
Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks its the greatest dog that ever lived!
Re: Another vet visit... and it hit me [Re: DarkEyes] #354093
11/17/20 03:27 PM
11/17/20 03:27 PM
Tennessee
DarkEyes Offline OP
Enthusiast
DarkEyes  Offline OP
Enthusiast

Tennessee
I encounter a lot of people whose seniors would have detoriating health problems, so it seems normal to me. Abbey is also dealing with thinning ig her skin so she is easily getting bed sores. I continue to have problems with Abbey wriggling just enough to take the sock off her paw and lick/gnaw at her paw, even with the cone and ring and extra restraints when not supervised. Last night, I felt bad that she could not get quality sleep in her kennel with limited mobility so I moved her bed to my room for the night.
[Linked Image]

Took a picture... Abbey slid off her bed. Didn't feel like moving so she stayed there.
[Linked Image]

Found Abbey this morning like this 🤦
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I admit, I laughed....

Bella: Ragdoll. Now living with her best cat friend Ty at an oversized cat condo in Crazy Cat Lady City.

Re: Another vet visit... and it hit me [Re: DarkEyes] #354094
11/17/20 04:37 PM
11/17/20 04:37 PM
Toronto, ON
jarn Online content
Addict
jarn  Online Content
Addict

Toronto, ON
Oh Abbey. I can imagine my guys doing something similar. Neb had a bed but wouldn't sleep on it. Then Xerxes and Agis began systemically destroying all our dog beds so now everyone sleeps with us. Thank goodness we got a king sized last February!

I think it is common with older dogs. Neb is 12.5 now, so I'm waiting to see how much longer he's relatively mobile. He's definitely slowed down.

Jenn
Neb, Xerxes, and Agis
RIP Luc
RIP Teagan
Re: Another vet visit... and it hit me [Re: DarkEyes] #354110
11/20/20 06:15 PM
11/20/20 06:15 PM
Tennessee
DarkEyes Offline OP
Enthusiast
DarkEyes  Offline OP
Enthusiast

Tennessee
Abbey's paw was doing better but last night it stunk to high heaven. So she's going back to the vet. I might have her boarded for the weekend. I'm starting to feel overwhelmed with her care. She's too much with all this effort of trying to stop her from going at it. I had to muzzle her because even with all those preventive measures she still manages to get to her paw and aggravates it. Now she just waits until I am not in sight then goes for the paw licking at it. We're getting a different muzzle that removes any chance of tongue contact but will allow her to drink water. She definitely dislikes the muzzle but it is stopping her. We had a sock covering her paw to keep dirt off and replaced the sock 2-3 times a day depending on if it got wet from Abbey's licking or dirty from being outside for potty breaks.

DH told me his friend said the pups will be ready to leave their mother soon. I thought we had at least another month. I told him that I can't take on a puppy right now with Abbey's medical care needs. If we can just get past this paw issue, we will be ok. He's going over this weekend to pick the puppy we will take home at some point.

Jarn, you said Neb is 12.5 yrs. What month was he born in? Abbey is a June 2008 pup.

Re: Another vet visit... and it hit me [Re: DarkEyes] #354116
11/20/20 06:40 PM
11/20/20 06:40 PM
Toronto, ON
jarn Online content
Addict
jarn  Online Content
Addict

Toronto, ON
Neb was born in April. So pretty close!

I'm sorry her paw got worse again. Maybe boarding her at the vet for the weekend will reset her paw and allow you to get a jump on it's healing...I hope so.

Jenn
Neb, Xerxes, and Agis
RIP Luc
RIP Teagan
Re: Another vet visit... and it hit me [Re: DarkEyes] #354123
11/21/20 12:02 AM
11/21/20 12:02 AM
Tennessee
DarkEyes Offline OP
Enthusiast
DarkEyes  Offline OP
Enthusiast

Tennessee
[Linked Image]

Vet cleaned her up and put her in a soft cast. Xray on wednesday after a few days to see if leaving alone does the trick. She got a shot to help with the swelling. Now we wait.

Re: Another vet visit... and it hit me [Re: DarkEyes] #354124
11/21/20 12:03 AM
11/21/20 12:03 AM
Toronto, ON
jarn Online content
Addict
jarn  Online Content
Addict

Toronto, ON
Aww beautiful girl wub I hope all of that does the trick

Jenn
Neb, Xerxes, and Agis
RIP Luc
RIP Teagan
Re: Another vet visit... and it hit me [Re: DarkEyes] #354127
11/21/20 12:29 AM
11/21/20 12:29 AM
Alexandria, NH
Woodreb Online coffee
Carpal Tunnel
Woodreb  Online Coffee
Carpal Tunnel

Alexandria, NH
Poor girl - Hope this helps her.

Johanna

Caleb (aka Caleb-Moose)

Re: Another vet visit... and it hit me [Re: DarkEyes] #354128
11/21/20 12:37 AM
11/21/20 12:37 AM
Alexandria, NH
Woodreb Online coffee
Carpal Tunnel
Woodreb  Online Coffee
Carpal Tunnel

Alexandria, NH
Poor girl - Hope this helps her.

Johanna

Caleb (aka Caleb-Moose)

Re: Another vet visit... and it hit me [Re: Woodreb] #354134
11/21/20 04:38 PM
11/21/20 04:38 PM
S
Shilohsmom Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Shilohsmom  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
S

I so hope the latest visit to the vet is the last for awhile. Poor girl. Loved the picture with the donut on her head rofl They sure keep us on our toes don't they?

Rosa

Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks its the greatest dog that ever lived!
Re: Another vet visit... and it hit me [Re: DarkEyes] #354156
11/22/20 12:46 PM
11/22/20 12:46 PM
Tennessee
DarkEyes Offline OP
Enthusiast
DarkEyes  Offline OP
Enthusiast

Tennessee
I still laugh when I think of her with the ring on her head. I mean, this is too comical to wake up to. I do recognize the danger that could have put her in and suffocated her. Thankfully, this did not happen.

Re: Another vet visit... and it hit me [Re: DarkEyes] #354158
11/22/20 03:36 PM
11/22/20 03:36 PM
SeanRescueMom Offline
Carpal Tunnel
SeanRescueMom  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm sorry I did not see your post earlier. Abbey has proven she's a fighter and in true GSD fashion, perseverant. You are a truly dedicated mom like so many of us and will go to the ends of the earth to do what's best for her. wub Please keep us posted on her vet visit Wednesday. Hugs and good thoughts to both of you. hug

Sean - 1998/2014
If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart I'll stay there forever.
Carleton DOB unknown
Neely - 2003/2015
Gizmo -2008/2011
Neeko -1991/2005
Re: Another vet visit... and it hit me [Re: SeanRescueMom] #354179
11/25/20 02:38 AM
11/25/20 02:38 AM
S
Shilohsmom Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Shilohsmom  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
S

Just hoping on an update on Abbey.

Rosa

Re: Another vet visit... and it hit me [Re: DarkEyes] #354187
11/26/20 09:31 PM
11/26/20 09:31 PM
Tennessee
DarkEyes Offline OP
Enthusiast
DarkEyes  Offline OP
Enthusiast

Tennessee
Well, her toe nail fell off. They did some x-rays and it turns out she has pretty severe arthritis on her paw. It got so swollen her nail detached. It made sense why I swear I was smelling decay. She still has swelling in her paw. She still won't leave it alone so we're still keeping the cone, cushion ring, and muzzle on her. Not really sure what to do with her at this point. Keep her moving but keep her discomfort controlled. But don't let her bite or lick at it. Boots are not going to help. But we gotta keep her paw clean. Blah.

Re: Another vet visit... and it hit me [Re: DarkEyes] #354230
12/01/20 01:33 AM
12/01/20 01:33 AM
M
middleofnowhere Offline
Carpal Tunnel
middleofnowhere  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M

Well, their needs seem to get more when they get older. As much as they understand us, they don't comprehend "licking won't make it better!" no matter how often that's repeated.

She does look all done up in her matching recovery wardrobe. May she get better soon.

Re: Another vet visit... and it hit me [Re: DarkEyes] #354232
12/01/20 01:59 AM
12/01/20 01:59 AM
Toronto, ON
jarn Online content
Addict
jarn  Online Content
Addict

Toronto, ON
How's her paw now DE?

Jenn
Neb, Xerxes, and Agis
RIP Luc
RIP Teagan
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
"Old timers" still here from 2010?
by cassadee7. 01/22/21 10:59 PM
I'm expecting!
by Islandgsds. 01/11/21 08:08 PM
Photo Contest January 2021 Entrries
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 01/11/21 05:35 PM
January 2021 Comment for Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 01/11/21 05:33 PM
Changes coming to the Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 01/11/21 03:39 PM
Today's entertainment
by middleofnowhere. 01/10/21 11:34 PM
Abbey at 1 Years Old!
by DarkEyes. 01/08/21 10:07 PM
Gypsy on her 'Perch"
by Zisso. 01/08/21 12:59 AM
Vote for December Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 01/05/21 09:05 PM
I had to laugh
by Shilohsmom. 12/24/20 12:25 AM
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
So Excited, New Tractor Coming Today
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 01/13/21 07:51 PM
I didn't win Megamillion lol
by SeanRescueMom. 01/10/21 04:41 PM
Happy 2021 - We need a new year
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 12/31/20 04:55 PM
Merry Christmas!
by Mary Jane. 12/25/20 01:32 PM
Hip labral tear
by jarn. 12/16/20 11:09 PM
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 20 guests, and 16 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Members
Csnewton2701, Maligator, Crixus, MikeT61, WhiteSablesheps
3018 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics18,571
Posts289,788
Members3,018
Most Online991
Jan 15th, 2020