11/24/19 10:19 PM
11/24/19 10:19 PM
Toronto, ON
jarn Online content OP
Enthusiast
jarn  Online Content OP
Enthusiast

Toronto, ON
Hi everyone! I don't know if you guys remember me.

Teagan passed away, that's not new, and Luc died December 11th last year at 15.5 years old. Neb is still with us and around 20 months ago we adopted a male beagle named Xerxes - who is now 4ish? Neb is 11.5 years old.

Wednesday we adopted a GSD/Rottie mix pup named Agis. I missed having a GSD so damn much. They're just amazing dogs.

Agis is 3 months old (well, 13 weeks). He was moved around a lot in his short life, in transit from Northern Manitoba to Toronto through different rescues and shelters. We got a puppy after I took the boys to meet a female GSD at Animal Services who despite relaxed bodies and wagging tails turned and grabbed Neb. He's fine, but it was not great, and I thought - even if we find an adult who is good with Neb and Xerxes, what about the cats? A puppy seemed safer.

Agis was not the pup we looking at, but we really liked him at the Humane Society. He's a good boy. Completely unhousebroken, outdoors seems overwhelming (I don't think he has lots of experience). He's improving, but.

A few things - he's settling in well with Neb and Xerxes. He and Xerxes love playing together. We're a bit worried about him bonding with us but he's snoring next to me at the moment and slept on my chest this afternoon while I dozed, and has followed me around all day, so maybe it's coming? Him and Xerxes playing is just a last 36 hours thing.

He is getting over mild kennel cough and is being treated for roundworm. So I can't take him to training centres yet. I have a dogless orientation at a training centre in early December. He won't be able to get the next, hopefully-roundworm-free fecal test done until the end of December.

My concerns:

-getting him to walk. He barely walks in our apartment yard, let alone around the block. I need to find some high-value treats that won't make him poop too much. I'm thinking this is something to try when I get home from work? Thursday we had someone (a friend who is a dog walker) come in midday - I thought that'd be fine because Neb was pretty well housebroken at Agis's age, and the shelter said that should be fine - well, he had diarrhea all over his crate. So she's coming in twice a day M-Th (Toby has Friday and Saturday's off).

This gets back to my next concern:

-he wakes us up at night if he needs to potty, so he's having very few accidents when we're at home (his crate is next to my side of the bed). However, if we go out, he poops and/or pees in the crate. And barks non-stop (our nosey neighbour who interferes with everyone two floors up informed us - but she fell in love with him and has decided he will settle in) while we're gone. We have pee pads, but he's also had lots of baths. Like one a day. Today while I was doing laundry (we have a shared room in the building) he had an accident EVERY time I left! In part I didn't make sure he pooped beforehand - I took him out, but after awhile thought he didn't have to go - maybe if he walked it would get things moving more reliably than sitting, right now, I either wait for him to move or drag him - but he pooped, then peed, then pooped again while I was out of the apartment doing laundry. The big dogs were in the bedroom with him too. Yech.

So, with this concern - I think he has separation anxiety? Or just hates the crate? But he's fine in it when we're home. As long as it's next to me (we had to move it next to the bed or our neighbours would've killed us at night). I started putting in smallish treats - dental chews halved, sweet potato chews halved - for him while I'm here, then leaving the bedroom and not letting him out until he's done (and quiet) to create a positive experience. He has a rubber bone in there, he did have a stuffed rabbit that got diarrhea on it last Thursday so I'm hesitant at which toys to provide him. I don't know. Even though our vet hates them, I'm considering getting like a tiny antler or something that he can knaw at. Is that bad at his age? I don't remember what I did with Nebbers. Neb was a puppy so long ago!

-the final concern - sometimes he barks at other dogs. Especially bigger ones, which, given he's 16.5lbs, is most of them. Sometimes not, sometimes yes. If he proves to be reactive we'll have to do private training, which I'm tempted to do anyways. But I think the social experience of the class could be good for him? Especially since he's part Rottie.

I know it's been 4 days, he's still super new and learning, but I don't want SA or anything else to develop further, I want to get on top of things.

THANKS! And HELP! And hi everyone!!!!!

Jenn
Neb, Xerxes, and Agis
Timothy and Cordelia (kitties)
RIP Luc
RIP Teagan
Re: I'm back with a puppy [Re: jarn] #351757
11/25/19 02:11 AM
11/25/19 02:11 AM
M
middleofnowhere Offline
Carpal Tunnel
middleofnowhere  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M

Welcome back.

Seems to me, you are expecting a lot from a pup you've had for a week. The routine you describe sounds chaotic to me (I'm no puppy! I'm an old woman.) Crate crap is discouraging, especially the fluid variety but - can you slow your routine down? For now, I'd be with him often and gradually introduce alone time. Is that possible? Can your partner do the laundry at some other time so you don't have to run out to do it during your "home" time? I'd look at ways of calming the routine down. Maybe it already is pretty calm but it came across to me as a bit hectic.

He sounds like a cute pup and I'm sure he will be a lot of fun once he and your household establish their rhythm. Sorry not to be more helpful..

Re: I'm back with a puppy [Re: middleofnowhere] #351758
11/25/19 03:19 AM
11/25/19 03:19 AM
Toronto, ON
jarn Online content OP
Enthusiast
jarn  Online Content OP
Enthusiast

Toronto, ON
Thanks!

He is doing fairly well, I think/hope. I think our routines are calming - we weren't really expecting to get a puppy, so we both worked Thursday. Toby had Friday off but had a doctor's appointment (crate poop) and then we popped out quickly yesterday. Laundry today was the only time Agis was alone, Toby works Sundays and as I was washing stuff we use to clean up Agis's messes and it smelled (and had been left a few days), I REALLY wanted to. I guess I should've waited until Toby got home but the laundry room is crazy busy Sunday nights. But you're right. I waited until Toby got home to do some other stuff that would've required leaving him alone. I just thought too it's not a terrible thing to get him used to us leaving?

He's a smarty in that he's asking to go out - for a pup that hadn't had any housebreaking, I'm pretty impressed! - he did that starting his second night. He's a good boy.

I want to do right by him but don't remember Nebbers having these issues so haven't been sure if it is a matter of giving him some more time, or if I need to be concerned. Realistically I forget Neb as a puppy and think he's been perfect since he came home. HA!

I have to keep on telling myself it's early days. It's been so long since I've had a puppy. Well, and I've only had one before. Our dog walker/puppy break friend was really upset Thursday which made me feel even worse than I already did (I left work early, because I wanted to see him, I'd already planned to when I heard from her) and then having that bloody woman two floors up tell us he was trouble when it hadn't even been 72 hours and he's quiet at night which is the biggest deal - well, I guess that threw me.

Re: him barking. The dog he barked at this morning he saw when out with Toby at 7:50 tonight. I didn't realize, because I don't really get Rottie from it's looks, but it's a GSD/Rottie mix too! Female though! Agis met it and played with it while she ignored him. So he's not aggressive, just unsure. He'll settle in.

I have to keep telling myself that. Xerxes was easier, he came as an adult and housebroken and slotted in nicely. Agis irritated everyone at first (darn puppies) but they're all coexisting nicely now.

Jenn
Neb, Xerxes, and Agis
RIP Luc
RIP Teagan
Re: I'm back with a puppy [Re: jarn] #351760
11/25/19 03:32 AM
11/25/19 03:32 AM
Toronto, ON
jarn Online content OP
Enthusiast
jarn  Online Content OP
Enthusiast

Toronto, ON
Oh! And if I can humble brag on Agis...

This morning when I took him out with the big dogs, he chose to walk across a grate/vent in the yard that goes to the complex's parking garages (I think). I thought it was 2m but when I looked at it later it's more like 3m. So he chose to walk across a big steel grate thing, a super odd surface, and he didn't get upset, didn't swerve, just went across like no problem.

I was super proud of him! I get excited when he walks, let alone across grates over big vents!

Jenn
Neb, Xerxes, and Agis
RIP Luc
RIP Teagan
Re: I'm back with a puppy [Re: jarn] #351765
11/25/19 08:18 PM
11/25/19 08:18 PM
S
Shilohsmom Offline
Pooh-Bah
Shilohsmom  Offline
Pooh-Bah
S

Welcome back. I can't wait to hear more about your pups new adventures.

Rosa

Proud Mom to Kody and Sasha
and never to be forgotten, Shiloh, Shoshi and Eli
Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks its the greatest dog that ever lived!
Re: I'm back with a puppy [Re: Shilohsmom] #351767
11/25/19 10:46 PM
11/25/19 10:46 PM
Toronto, ON
jarn Online content OP
Enthusiast
jarn  Online Content OP
Enthusiast

Toronto, ON
Thanks! Toby was at home today (migraine) but we still had our dog walker come in so he can get used to her and that schedule. Toby took Neb and Xerxes out and she took Agis. Agis followed the big dogs more than he EVER has, with a certain amount of cajoling and resetting to standing position he actually walked around the southern yard!

When I got home from work he did again. That must be 400m which I know isn't a lot but for him that's huge, and, he's still just a little guy. We're so pleased.

He even spent some time in the crate today while Toby ran out to the tuck shop and he gnawed on a sweet potato chew (presumably) quietly the whole time. Edit: And didn't poop or pee in there!

Last edited by jarn; 11/25/19 10:46 PM.

Jenn
Neb, Xerxes, and Agis
RIP Luc
RIP Teagan
Re: I'm back with a puppy [Re: jarn] #351784
11/26/19 04:15 PM
11/26/19 04:15 PM
S
Shilohsmom Offline
Pooh-Bah
Shilohsmom  Offline
Pooh-Bah
S

Just thinking, it sure is nice to have a new puppy on the boards here party

Rosa

Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks its the greatest dog that ever lived!
Re: I'm back with a puppy [Re: jarn] #351793
11/26/19 11:05 PM
11/26/19 11:05 PM
Toronto, ON
jarn Online content OP
Enthusiast
jarn  Online Content OP
Enthusiast

Toronto, ON
He brings a certain energy to our house, hopefully he can to the boards too!

Jenn
Neb, Xerxes, and Agis
RIP Luc
RIP Teagan
Re: I'm back with a puppy [Re: jarn] #351795
11/27/19 12:09 AM
11/27/19 12:09 AM
S
Shilohsmom Offline
Pooh-Bah
Shilohsmom  Offline
Pooh-Bah
S

There's nothing like a pup to lift spirits everywhere fetch

Rosa

Re: I'm back with a puppy [Re: jarn] #351798
11/27/19 12:37 AM
11/27/19 12:37 AM
Toronto, ON
jarn Online content OP
Enthusiast
jarn  Online Content OP
Enthusiast

Toronto, ON
Neb's not a fan overall, but has his moments of 'Hey, maybe!' interspersed with 'Is it going to try to bite me?'

Xerxes got in trouble tonight though, he HUMPED Agis. Agis didn't seem to care, but just wait awhile until Agis is bigger...no thank you. Plus it's rude and obnoxious.

Jenn
Neb, Xerxes, and Agis
RIP Luc
RIP Teagan
Re: I'm back with a puppy [Re: jarn] #351814
11/29/19 06:10 PM
11/29/19 06:10 PM
Northern CA
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator
MaxaLisa  Offline

Global Moderator

Northern CA
I am not sure, but one thread per problem might be easier for people to answer, but then again, then we wouldn't see the whole picture at the same time.

For the diarrhea, you really want to make sure the diet is right and he's not carrying any parasites likes worms, etc.

It's pretty normal for dogs to carry on when they are crated and left alone. There are a lot of things you can do so SA doesn't develop during this process. It sounds like you are managing.

A good training can help you through the puppy stages and the upcoming adolescent phase. I recently learned that we have a Sirius training place in town and am excited about that if I ever get another another puppy (no plans in the near future). This YouTube channel has a puppy training playlist. She's pretty good. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF26FD559887E7EA4

MaxaL (aka LisaT)

Jazmine, mini-mix, 10/18/2011
Max-n-Indy
Max, 5/2001-2/2012, RIP my partner, my Regal Boy
Indy, 5/1997-10/2010, RIP my friend, my teacher

Health Index
K9 TBD info and Tick List Links
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/
Re: I'm back with a puppy [Re: jarn] #351819
11/29/19 07:34 PM
11/29/19 07:34 PM
Tennessee
DarkEyes Offline
Enthusiast
DarkEyes  Offline
Enthusiast

Tennessee
The diarrhea could be a concern... Some reasons to consider:
1- diarrhea is from the medicine and vaccinations he was just treated with
2- he moved around a lot. He's in a new environment. He's anxious. That can lead to diarrhea. I had a dog that, as a puppy, she had a lot of diarrhea in the first couple of weeks. It was messy.
3- diarrhea in the crate- he may have had some really negative experiences associated with being alone in a crate. So poop. poop. poop. It's how he gets out of the crate and away from the anxious environment he was in.

If he's getting better and not pooping in the crate anymore, great! smile He is a puppy, and like you said, already been through a lot in his short life. Give him more time.

Abbey: 11 years old German Shepherd

Suki: 11 years old grumpy Calico

Bella: Kitten, Ragdoll

2 little angels/monsters in disguise: My 2 boys
Re: I'm back with a puppy [Re: jarn] #351821
11/30/19 01:51 PM
11/30/19 01:51 PM
Toronto, ON
jarn Online content OP
Enthusiast
jarn  Online Content OP
Enthusiast

Toronto, ON
Thanks guys! Probably multiple threads would make sense. Though, since I've started this, for now.

He really only had diarrhea the one time, so as upsetting as it was, I think it was mostly nerves because it was the first time we'd left him alone. He did do other poops in the crate when left alone too, but is more adjusted now. He had an accident yesterday, but that was our fault/slightly off the routine. He's been accident free otherwise in the crate for days and really has few pees in the house (which again, are our fault).

Re: SA - he's improving. He barks and cries for a bit now and then quiets down. We put a treat ball in yesterday evening and filled it to the brim, and he was quiet/distracted. Though, he pooped in the crate. Sometimes we feed him in the middle of the night so that he's cleaned out by the time we leave, if we're both leaving early, so that our walker doesn't have messes, and he can be 3-4 hrs in the crate then without accidents. So we thought he'd be fine yesterday. We'll figure out the happy medium of amounts - enough to be distracting, not enough to make him poop!

BUT - so we haven't been able to get him used to walking on the leash, he drops with pressure, and he's now around 18lbs and I don't want to carry him outside and to various places in our complexes yards so he can go potty. I've done some reading, and we tried a bunch of stuff. There's a park kitty corner to our building and I decided that even if I had to carry him there, we were going and we were going to walk home!

And he walked THERE! Met a 4 month old Australian Shepherd puppy and played! Met a GSD who was big! Then we walked around the block and he did great. Not like the big dogs, but really really good. HIS FIRST WALK!

I can't tell you how exciting that is. We were really starting to tear our hair out over that.

Jenn
Neb, Xerxes, and Agis
RIP Luc
RIP Teagan
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
F Litter Puppies :D
by Indra. 12/06/19 05:36 AM
Hip dysplasia not hereditary
by jarn. 12/04/19 01:04 PM
Porky Pants!
by jarn. 12/04/19 12:31 PM
Blanket shopping
by Shilohsmom. 12/04/19 01:40 AM
Kody, Sasha and tree
by Shilohsmom. 12/02/19 04:10 PM
I love my babies
by Shilohsmom. 11/29/19 07:35 PM
December 2019 Photo Contest Entries
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 11/26/19 05:25 PM
Comments for December 2019 Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 11/26/19 05:22 PM
Agis
by jarn. 11/26/19 01:51 AM
Puppy breath I'm thinking
by jarn. 11/25/19 11:40 PM
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Happy Thanksgiving
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 11/28/19 03:44 PM
World peace thru eating (not political0
by Mary Jane. 11/26/19 06:16 PM
Wheres Middle
by Shilohsmom. 11/22/19 12:15 AM
Weekend plans
by Shilohsmom. 11/16/19 04:43 PM
We're back!
by DarkEyes. 11/11/19 11:00 AM
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Quinnsmom, 1 invisible), 57 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
MarieElayne, WeyekinAcres, Xero, cutiebigdog, tommaheart
2971 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics18,348
Posts287,061
Members2,971
Most Online425
Nov 14th, 2019