11/18/19 08:16 PM
11/18/19 08:16 PM
S
Shilohsmom Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Shilohsmom  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
S

Ok, I'm frustrated. Why can't Kody enjoy being outside without barking his head off???? It's driving me crazy, not to mention the neighbors. It seemed he was doing so much better but lately he's at it again. I just had to call him from the front yard and now he's in his crate. I want them to be able to take advantage of our property and the freedom they can enjoy but unless I'm out there with them Kody keeps barking. And its not like he's barking at anything. Yes, he goes crazy when a delivery truck comes around, I accept that. But to just sit there and bark and bark and bark. Its getting on my nerves. Sasha on the other hand, doesn't bark at anything unless its a person that's too close to the fence and even then its hit or miss. If she's busy playing she just ignores everything else. So what do you suggest? It's such a beautiful day but I can't spend all day outside. I'd love for him to be able to though.

Just so you know, the front door is almost always open so they can come and go as they please.

I've done the bark collars, I'm thinking I might have to go back to that. If I remember right they seem to help.

Rosa

Proud Mom to Kody and Sasha
and never to be forgotten, Shiloh, Shoshi and Eli
Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks its the greatest dog that ever lived!
Re: Why?????? [Re: Shilohsmom] #351701
11/19/19 09:09 PM
11/19/19 09:09 PM
S
Shilohsmom Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Shilohsmom  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
S

I've decided Kody needs to stay in for the most part unless I'm out there. When he barks I bring him in. Perhaps someday he will put two and two together wink

I have begun letting the pups in the back yard without me for short periods of time. There is a lot less to bark at in the back. I just want the pups to have some freedom and for them to get fresh air. I'm thinking the back is going to be our solution.

I don't want to go back with the bark collar. There's nothing wrong with them (I don't use the electrical correction, just the vibration and beep) but Kody has had some issues and I don't want to do anything that could set him back.

Rosa

Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks its the greatest dog that ever lived!
Re: Why?????? [Re: Shilohsmom] #351704
11/19/19 11:41 PM
11/19/19 11:41 PM
Alexandria, NH
Woodreb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Woodreb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Alexandria, NH
Originally Posted by Shilohsmom
I've decided Kody needs to stay in for the most part unless I'm out there. When he barks I bring him in. Perhaps someday he will put two and two together wink

Maybe he already has put 2 and 2 together?
No ideas why he may be doing this, but if it has anything to do with wanting you out there with him or him in with you (with you being the key) then you're rewarding the behavior by bringing him in. I'm assuming he quiets down when you bring him in.

When I go outside and pick up the tools we use to pick up after them, Ciara usually starts barking and carrying on. She does this because after I pick up, it means some play time and Chuck-it time for her. Now I can get her to quiet down while I'm picking up by telling her to help me find the piles. Then she follows me around the yard until I'm done and heads back to the shed where I keep the Chuck-it toys. So she gets her reward for following me around quietly until I'm done.

I'm not saying you should go out there all the time or you should bring him in right away when he starts barking, unless you can be sure the reason for the barking is something other than "I want to be where you are."
And with that - I really have no bright ideas of how to fix it because I don't have an idea of how to set him up to be outside without you and be quiet and reward that behavior.
thinking

Johanna

Caleb (aka Caleb-Moose)
Ciara(aka Ciara Belle, Black Devil)

RIP Aodhán, Rica, Max, Kelly - gone but never forgotten - forever in my heart
Re: Why?????? [Re: Woodreb] #351705
11/20/19 01:14 AM
11/20/19 01:14 AM
S
Shilohsmom Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Shilohsmom  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
S

Your probably right Johanna when you say he may have already put two and two together hammer I do come running every time he starts barking. And yes, he's quiet when it comes in. I'm just going to have to go back to not having him free in the yard without me unless he's playing with his sister.

Rosa

Re: Why?????? [Re: Shilohsmom] #351720
11/22/19 10:34 PM
11/22/19 10:34 PM
Los Lunas, NM
Kayos Offline

Can't Figure Tech Stuff Out
Kayos  Offline

Can't Figure Tech Stuff Out

Los Lunas, NM
Or try the bark collar again. If hw is corrected and you don't come running he may figure out game is over pretty quickly.

I have had neighbors whose dogs fence fight with mine. I wanted to teach a call off the fence so I would call them and reward them for coming. They soon learned that when they bark at the fence they may get a reward. It was quite a nice little behavior chain.

Kathy

PAM, URO3, UCD, UACH Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,RE,AX,AJP,OFP,P1J,CA,DJ,HT,TKN,TC,CGCU, RATN 4/4/12
Jeli, (Pembroke Welsh corgi) RATI 5/13/19

Lucky, Wolf, Max, Kayos, Havoc - gone not forgotten. gsdhalo
Re: Why?????? [Re: Shilohsmom] #351750
11/24/19 04:38 PM
11/24/19 04:38 PM
Eastern Oregon
Z
Zisso Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Zisso  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Z

Eastern Oregon
Zisso will go out and be quiet for the most part without me, but he is a senior and knows the ropes. He will bark if he sees people walk by, especially if they have a dog with them, or if he sees a cat out front. If he barks outside, it cause Gypsy to bark inside and they are impossible to stop until I get him back in.

Gypsy will not go out and stay out without me. I think she is too young to be trusted alone anyway- at just over a year old and extremely hyper and always busy, I just don't trust her to not get into something...be it digging holes, eating anything and everything she shouldn't (like in the summer when birds drop cherry pits in the yard) and of course, raising hell with neighbor dogs. If I try to just put her outside alone, she scratches on the back door, and has already ruined the screen in the door window. She is quite insecure out there alone, wild with Z out there with her, and far too protective if I am out there too.

Bev~mom to:
Zisso-DOB 09/16/07
Gypsy Breeze-DOB 10/26/18

R.I.P. Kiki, Nadia, Pepe, and all my other loves from years gone by.
Re: Why?????? [Re: Shilohsmom] #351816
11/29/19 06:28 PM
11/29/19 06:28 PM
Northern CA
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator
MaxaLisa  Offline

Global Moderator

Northern CA
It sounds like the current plan (bringing them in) is managing the situation but won't correct the issue moving forward. I guess that depends on how much time you spend with them.

I have an wrought iron fence in the back part of my yard and beyond that an area where there might be people walking by. It's a challenge with all the dogs. When they are young, I always had to spend a lot of time out there doing non-dog stuff, so I could be there to teach them what they can and cannot bark at. They either got a thank you, that's enough, or a leave it command. If people were close enough, I figured it was okay for them to warn me, but required them to stop when I said that's enough.

If they are trained with you there in the yard doing non-dog stuff, then you move further away - for me it was the kitchen so I could immediately go out and give them the proper command. If they are just barking to bark, A Leave It, or That's Enough is appropriate. They may be barking at *something*, we just don't know what it is.

I think torrid rugas has a book about barking, not sure. I'm sure I haven;t read though I have wanted to. My problem here is barking at delivery trucks and I admit to not having the UPS, USPS, and Amazon delivery truck issue not resolved.

MaxaL (aka LisaT)

Jazmine, mini-mix, 10/18/2011
Max-n-Indy
Max, 5/2001-2/2012, RIP my partner, my Regal Boy
Indy, 5/1997-10/2010, RIP my friend, my teacher

Health Index
K9 TBD info and Tick List Links
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
F Litter Puppies :D
by Indra. 12/06/19 05:36 AM
Hip dysplasia not hereditary
by jarn. 12/04/19 01:04 PM
Porky Pants!
by jarn. 12/04/19 12:31 PM
Blanket shopping
by Shilohsmom. 12/04/19 01:40 AM
Kody, Sasha and tree
by Shilohsmom. 12/02/19 04:10 PM
I love my babies
by Shilohsmom. 11/29/19 07:35 PM
December 2019 Photo Contest Entries
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 11/26/19 05:25 PM
Comments for December 2019 Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 11/26/19 05:22 PM
Agis
by jarn. 11/26/19 01:51 AM
Puppy breath I'm thinking
by jarn. 11/25/19 11:40 PM
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Happy Thanksgiving
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 11/28/19 03:44 PM
World peace thru eating (not political0
by Mary Jane. 11/26/19 06:16 PM
Wheres Middle
by Shilohsmom. 11/22/19 12:15 AM
Weekend plans
by Shilohsmom. 11/16/19 04:43 PM
We're back!
by DarkEyes. 11/11/19 11:00 AM
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Quinnsmom, 1 invisible), 57 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
MarieElayne, WeyekinAcres, Xero, cutiebigdog, tommaheart
2971 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics18,348
Posts287,061
Members2,971
Most Online425
Nov 14th, 2019