10/18/19 04:11 PM
Wisconsin
Wisc.Tiger_Val Offline OP
Member First - Owner Second "The Watcher"
Wisc.Tiger_Val  Offline OP

Wisconsin
Hi Guys.

I have been monitoring the forum for the last few months and not seeing a lot of activity. I think it might be time to pull the plug.

Most of us could keep in touch on Facebook or we could check out the newer place "MeWe".

I know I haven't posted as much as I use to but with the Hubby retiring I have less me time which is what we planned it is just taking me time to adjust.

Hosting is Due at the end of the year, I could check out what month by month or 6 months would cost.

Thoughts - Feedback welcome.

Val da Tiger

Fuzzybutt the cat.
Neilla the Big White puppy.

RIP Cheyenne - AKA: Digger, CheyChey Girl, Cheyenne Large and In charge. 2/16/02 - 2/27/16
RIP Raya - AKA: Raz-a, Ray a Sunshine, RayBestos, the little one, Silly Girl. 9/21/05 - 6/27/14
RIP Lakota - AKA: Bubba, Big Boy, BooBoo (the other part of the Binky and BooBoo team). 1/19/03-9/19/2011
RIP DeeDee - AKA: DD Poo, Little Bit, Binky (part of the Binky and Booboo team) 6/23/02-6/20/11
Re: Might be time to shut the Forum [Re: Wisc.Tiger_Val] #351304
10/18/19 05:57 PM
10/18/19 05:57 PM
M
middleofnowhere Offline
Carpal Tunnel
middleofnowhere  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M

I've been doing a fair amount on PMs rather than open forum. I hate to see the forum close (I don't do a lot of social media, certainly not Facebook - dog forums are about it) because it seems to be the only alternative GSD forum --- I like it's rules and the overall friendliness of it. I do appreciate the heads up. I'm not sure how we direct people here rather than "elsewhere" -- I also hate to loose contact with the folks (some of whom have drifted away) too. Not enough to dive into facebook.

Over the years (heh, let's not talk about how long I've been here) I've got a lot of good information. Ask a question here and you get good solid answers.

And where else do my dogs get to be calendar girls?

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum [Re: Wisc.Tiger_Val] #351305
10/18/19 11:42 PM
10/18/19 11:42 PM
Alexandria, NH
Woodreb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Woodreb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Alexandria, NH
I hate to see the forum shut down as well, but I understand your point of view. I miss many of the people that used to post here but have drifted away.

I broke down and signed up on Facebook when my DH was out of time and we were having some phone problems at the house. It was a way to be in touch with family if needed. I don't really post on there that much, but have been following a German Shepherd group and it seems that it has a lot of people lecturing and talking down to folks that go on there looking for help or advice. Nothing like the feel of this forum, I wish I knew of a way to get people back here.

Johanna

Caleb (aka Caleb-Moose)
Ciara(aka Ciara Belle, Black Devil)

RIP Aodhán, Rica, Max, Kelly - gone but never forgotten - forever in my heart
Re: Might be time to shut the Forum [Re: Wisc.Tiger_Val] #351306
10/19/19 06:08 AM
10/19/19 06:08 AM
NE Ohio
Selzer Offline
Veteran
Selzer  Offline
Veteran

NE Ohio
I keep checking in here, but I don't feel like good company most of the time. Been a rough year, and too many losses. Sometimes I am not up to even checking in. But I did start posting again on the other forum. So maybe things are looking up for me. Maybe with the change of weather people will be more stay at home, and get back into the forums. Maybe folks are not here because they are running with dogs, playing with dogs, working with dogs, training dogs, swimming with dogs, shopping with dogs. Maybe with the holidays coming up on us, people will be bluer, colder, and more busier than ever. It's so hard to tell.

Geriatric: Odessa
Seniors: Bear
Mature Adults: Hepzibah, Karma, Cujo 2
Adults: Ramona, Kojak
Young Adults: Tinuviel, Uzzi, and Kaiah
Puppies: Vera
Re: Might be time to shut the Forum [Re: Wisc.Tiger_Val] #351307
10/19/19 04:51 PM
10/19/19 04:51 PM
Wisconsin
Wisc.Tiger_Val Offline OP
Wisc.Tiger_Val  Offline OP

Wisconsin
It was just a thought thing from my end. I wanted to see if people wanted to keep the forum. I can manage it time and financially, but if I was keeping this up because I just wanted to not let go then it would be gone.

Sue, you are always welcome here to share your feelings. Not every time in your life or any ones life is always great and rosy. Some times we need help, some times we are just in a black mood.

Honestly after the house fire there were times when I wished I hadn't woke up and got out of the house. But my cyber friends here on the forum always had a kind word and wondering how I was doing. Strangely enough those thoughts were after we moved into the new house. I think I was just in physical pain for months and I just kept pushing to get the house done. So when that was done I was still in pain and had nothing to keep pushing forward to.

Val da Tiger

Fuzzybutt the cat.
Neilla the Big White puppy.

RIP Cheyenne - AKA: Digger, CheyChey Girl, Cheyenne Large and In charge. 2/16/02 - 2/27/16
RIP Raya - AKA: Raz-a, Ray a Sunshine, RayBestos, the little one, Silly Girl. 9/21/05 - 6/27/14
RIP Lakota - AKA: Bubba, Big Boy, BooBoo (the other part of the Binky and BooBoo team). 1/19/03-9/19/2011
RIP DeeDee - AKA: DD Poo, Little Bit, Binky (part of the Binky and Booboo team) 6/23/02-6/20/11
Re: Might be time to shut the Forum [Re: Wisc.Tiger_Val] #351308
10/19/19 06:45 PM
10/19/19 06:45 PM
Eastern Oregon
Z
Zisso Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Zisso  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Z

Eastern Oregon
I have always been grateful for this forum without a doubt. I have never done anything to help, and I have plenty of time to do so these days, so if help is needed, I volunteer! However if it needs to shut down, I get that too.

This is the one place I have always been comfortable to share stories and ask questions, to look for information, and to make friendships. I am a Facebook junkie and am easy to find there (I think!) And several members here are friends over there, but some aren't, like Middle who doesn't do facebook.

The best part about this forum is the way everyone bands togehter to help a fellow member when they are having troubles- be it personal or doggie related. I know that I leaned on this forum a TON during this past year for suggestions and help in my journey of raising Gypsy. I couldn't have done it without this Village of Awesome people!

Bev~mom to:
Zisso-DOB 09/16/07
Gypsy Breeze-DOB 10/26/18

R.I.P. Kiki, Nadia, Pepe, and all my other loves from years gone by.
R.I.P. Zisso May 2, 2020
Re: Might be time to shut the Forum [Re: Zisso] #351309
10/19/19 09:02 PM
10/19/19 09:02 PM
S
Shilohsmom Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Shilohsmom  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
S

I can't say I'm surprised, very sad but not surprised. I can see how the forum struggles. Those of us that are here have years of GSD experience and we don't have a lot of questions about raising our pups.

I've been so busy with my business lately, I haven't been able to come here much. I do 'check in' but there's just not much activity. I do care about the folks here and I feel like I know so many of their pets. I would miss this page but I do understand.

It's been quite a journey and I am so very thankful for all the support I've gotten here. Everyone here has known my dogs and has been so helpful in my healing from their losses. Facebook is fine, but its really mostly strangers making comments. They mean well, but its not the same. I will miss this place.

I've tried to help here and there with supporting the forum, but money is just so tight I have so little to give. I will miss you all very much.

Last edited by Shilohsmom; 10/19/19 09:04 PM.

Rosa

Proud Mom to Kody and Sasha
and never to be forgotten, Shiloh, Shoshi and Eli
Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks its the greatest dog that ever lived!
Re: Might be time to shut the Forum [Re: Shilohsmom] #351310
10/19/19 09:36 PM
10/19/19 09:36 PM
S
Shilohsmom Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Shilohsmom  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
S

Val, I'm just thinking. Your paying for an awful lot here that's not being used. What if you were to consolidate some of the forum to include less options.. Maybe that would help with the money part.

Rosa

Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks its the greatest dog that ever lived!
Re: Might be time to shut the Forum [Re: Wisc.Tiger_Val] #351312
10/19/19 10:17 PM
10/19/19 10:17 PM
Michigan, USA
lhczth Offline
Administrator and LOTR addict
lhczth  Offline
Administrator and LOTR addict

Michigan, USA
Yahoo groups is changing too. Everything is changing and going to FB it seems. It is a sad turn of events since FB isn't the same. These boards have always been more like home (though the other board less so at times) and the conversations were friendlier. We also have a way to save ideas and not have them get lost. It is more personable. I know I don't post much, but I am here daily. Time is a killer for me with my job.

I would hate to lose the board, but will understand if that is the choice you decide to make.

Lisa Clark
Zu Treuen Händen
SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT (the ugly little sable), Jarka B/HOT and gone, but not forgotten: Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum [Re: Wisc.Tiger_Val] #351313
10/19/19 10:40 PM
10/19/19 10:40 PM
CA
C
Codmaster Offline
Pooh-Bah
Codmaster  Offline
Pooh-Bah
C

CA
Certainly hope that we (you!) can keep it going. Great place to find solid info about GSD's. What can we all do to help - volunteer for some duties? financial? (what is the fee to keep forum up and running? Please let us know.

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum [Re: Codmaster] #351314
10/19/19 11:31 PM
10/19/19 11:31 PM
S
Shilohsmom Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Shilohsmom  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
S

I think Johanna has a point when she says she's wishes there was a way to get folks to come back here. But I get it, we need to be more active here if we have any chance at attracting anyone back,
Like so many, I come here, check for activity, find there is none and I leave. Perhaps if we want this board to continue we need to be realistic with ourselves and ask if we are willing to put into it what we get out of it? Just like anything else, when ignored it will eventually go away.
I personally don't like Facebook, and now I'm trying to operate my business on it headbang Its way too impersonal. Nobody really knows my pups there. I'm willing to really focus on posting here more if it will help, but we'll all need to ban together if this is going to work, What do others think?

Rosa

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum [Re: Wisc.Tiger_Val] #351319
10/20/19 02:45 AM
10/20/19 02:45 AM
M
middleofnowhere Offline
Carpal Tunnel
middleofnowhere  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M

Well, hey, I went back through my cashed PMs and we are missing some great contributors but some questionable (that's generous) folks showed up, too. It would be ideal to get more active without "going there."

I guess one positive of a small following, is, well, that it is usually positive. People accept disagreements with some grace. I do miss people who would question a lot of our "wisdom" - because, although it can be annoying, it can also be healthy.

I think we are mostly seasoned dog people (now what herbs would you use for that?) so we don't have long training discussions, haven't got anything going on questioning people who decide their dog is breed worthy, have resolved a lot of the issues we had, etc.

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum [Re: Wisc.Tiger_Val] #351323
10/20/19 06:21 PM
10/20/19 06:21 PM
Alexandria, NH
Woodreb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Woodreb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Alexandria, NH
By the way - I use this site as my homepage, so I pass through to see if there's anything new whenever I go on line. If it shuts down I'll need a new home page. frown

Johanna

Caleb (aka Caleb-Moose)
Ciara(aka Ciara Belle, Black Devil)

RIP Aodhán, Rica, Max, Kelly - gone but never forgotten - forever in my heart
Re: Might be time to shut the Forum [Re: Wisc.Tiger_Val] #351324
10/20/19 06:48 PM
10/20/19 06:48 PM
Manitoulin Island, Ontario, Ca...
Islandgsds Offline
Pooh-Bah
Islandgsds  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Manitoulin Island, Ontario, Ca...
I have to say. I've wanted to come back but I've had some trouble. It's been years since I lost Palla (2016) and then Larka.(2017)
Both were very unexpected. Palla was consumed by seizures and it was a matter of try to bring her back or end the suffering. I still can't stop second guessing my self on the fact I let her go instead of trying. Larka woke me in the night to say good by. At the emerg vet, xray showed her spleen was a huge cancerous mass. It had flipped on her and was pressing on get lungs and heart. We had no choice.
So every time I come here I can't help but start crying.
Anyone who is on fb with me knows I use it to send jokes as a stress relief.
I do love the sight and would hate to see it go. So I promised I will come back.
I'm sick of the phoney baloney of fb anyway.

Sandra
Loki 8/23/08-1016/20 & Augie, bday-11/13 Gday-3/14,
Larka 1/4/06-8/16/17 Palla, 7/16/06-6/10/16 you were the tree that gave me shelter, the rock that gave me strength, for ever in my heart, until my journey has run its length. I will always love you.
Re: Might be time to shut the Forum [Re: Islandgsds] #351326
10/20/19 09:34 PM
10/20/19 09:34 PM
S
Shilohsmom Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Shilohsmom  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
S

I so wish you would return Sandra. Here your important. Here we know the dogs you love and have loved so much. I know its hard after loosing them, but if you can find a way to push through that pain and maybe express it here (if it feels right) then we'd all be richer with you here. I still come here and cry and write about Eli. Its the only place on line that knew him. That's important to me. In fact, I need to do more of that. I'm missing that boy like no tomorrow.

Rosa

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum [Re: Shilohsmom] #351336
10/21/19 03:33 AM
10/21/19 03:33 AM
S
Shilohsmom Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Shilohsmom  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
S

I'm thinking.... We read the post about the boards maybe closing down and all the sudden we're here. We post, we get answers and it gets more interesting for all of us. Maybe if we can keep this up it would be worth saving the boards. I, for one, realize what an important part of my life this forum has been. But I'm like so many. I come here, check last activity and seeing none I leave. But its just like everything else, if you ignore it long enough it goes away. I'm sure we can come up with interesting ideas.

I just put up a post and Sashi's nails. The suggestions helped me. It's been something I had been thinking about for two days now so I'm glad I put it up there. The point is maybe there's other things we can ask each other.

Just want to add that I wouldn't dream of putting any question on Facebook. Here its safe.

Perhaps we can get this going a bit and then look to invite more people back. Anyone think that's a good idea?

Rosa

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum [Re: Wisc.Tiger_Val] #351337
10/21/19 03:43 AM
NE Ohio
Selzer Offline
Veteran
Selzer  Offline
Veteran

NE Ohio
I agree, that if the same threads are in active topics without new posts, I generally go away. I think sometimes we post on the other site because it has more traffic. I suppose we need to get the traffic moving. Just seemed to have a pile-up there for a while.

Geriatric: Odessa
Seniors: Bear
Mature Adults: Hepzibah, Karma, Cujo 2
Adults: Ramona, Kojak
Young Adults: Tinuviel, Uzzi, and Kaiah
Puppies: Vera
Re: Might be time to shut the Forum [Re: Shilohsmom] #351338
S
Shilohsmom Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Shilohsmom  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
S

Maybe we could open up the Photo Contests a few times a year to include any breed?? I know this is a GSD board, many of our little group don't even have a GSD anymore. Some have other breeds which they are just as proud of as we are of ours. Same even for Val and her girl. I'd just like everyone to feel included and that their dog is just as important here.

Rosa

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum [Re: Wisc.Tiger_Val] #351342
10/21/19 03:07 PM
10/21/19 03:07 PM
M
middleofnowhere Offline
Carpal Tunnel
middleofnowhere  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M

That's an interesting idea - maybe one "free for all"? Often times, though, I go back through old photos to find something to submit. At least once, I scanned a photo because that software doesn't work on my newer machine. What I'm saying here is that there is no requirement that the photo has to be current. Hopefully other people have a stack of photos of GSD past that would be eligible. How would a mix it up photo work with Val's ability to use the photo to promote the board? Another thought along those lines would be to allow people to post a photo that fits the theme but would not be included in the voting?

Re: Might be time to shut the Forum [Re: Wisc.Tiger_Val] #351343
10/21/19 03:18 PM
10/21/19 03:18 PM
M
middleofnowhere Offline
Carpal Tunnel
middleofnowhere  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M

Sandra's post is thought provoking -- this could be like reading your diary and maybe even the happy posts bring feelings of regret.

To the overall thoughts of "more traffic" perhaps someone could enlist a "not a dog friend" (do we have any of those?) to do a search on their computers to see what comes up at the top few spots regarding "GSD discussion". I'm pretty sure if it is on our machines it would show the sites we already visit often. ...

I don't know what we would do with the results, though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
November 2020 Tie Breaker Vote
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 12/01/20 01:26 AM
A new girl in our life!
by Islandgsds. 11/30/20 10:35 PM
Vote for the November Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 11/28/20 03:52 PM
Happy Gotcha Day Agis
by jarn. 11/20/20 10:37 PM
Sasha saves our home!!!!!
by Shilohsmom. 11/20/20 10:25 PM
Another vet visit... and it hit me
by DarkEyes. 11/16/20 03:04 AM
November 2020 Photo Contest Entries
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 11/03/20 10:14 PM
Comments for November 2020 Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 11/03/20 10:13 PM
Happy Halloween
by Shilohsmom. 11/01/20 12:24 AM
Vote for the October Photo Contest X2
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 10/30/20 06:00 PM
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Christmas Tree
by jarn. 11/29/20 10:36 PM
Meet Duke
by DarkEyes. 11/28/20 12:39 AM
Thanksgiving Plans
by Shilohsmom. 11/21/20 04:47 PM
But of course
by jarn. 11/15/20 10:59 PM
Talk me off a ledge
by jarn. 10/29/20 10:48 PM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 11 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Members
Caview, LokiBoy, GSDLover2020, Bentwings, Ryansaf
3013 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics18,540
Posts289,397
Members3,013
Most Online991
Jan 15th, 2020