06/12/19 04:19 PM
06/12/19 04:19 PM
M
middleofnowhere Offline
Carpal Tunnel
middleofnowhere  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M

Perhaps an afternoon nap says someone in your time zone who is still in her pajamas....

Re: I Hired a Trainer [Re: middleofnowhere] #350827
06/12/19 07:21 PM
06/12/19 07:21 PM
Eastern Oregon
Z
Zisso Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Zisso  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Z

Eastern Oregon
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere
Perhaps an afternoon nap says someone in your time zone who is still in her pajamas....

happyboogie Yes, an afternoon nap will definitely be in order.

I got brave and bought this cabinet at BiMart that I just spent 3 hours putting together and I only got half way there. I have needed an armoire kind of cabinet since I moved here to put between the dining room and kitchen to hold overflowing 'stuff' and this was on sale. Of course, it was built in China, which irks me to no end, and of course it is press board which I hate, but it is easier and less time consuming to put together and than building one from scratch.

I think now that it is picked up and put away, and the dogs have pottied, it is time for that nap!

Bev~mom to:
Zisso-DOB 09/16/07

R.I.P. Kiki, Nadia, Pepe, and all my other loves from years gone by.
Re: I Hired a Trainer [Re: Zisso] #350877
06/19/19 06:43 AM
06/19/19 06:43 AM
Eastern Oregon
Z
Zisso Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Zisso  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Z

Eastern Oregon
I got the cabinet put together all by myself on Sunday. It enabled me to reclaim my counter space, and feel normal again. She was counter surfing all the time, so I put everything in metal baskets that took up space. All of that, including the baskets are in the cabinet, plus everything from the microwave cart.Results are no more counter surfing at all.

I also bought fence tarps. (Used the money refunded from the trainer)
Tarps specially made for chain link fences. I put one up today, and must say, they look nice. I used wire I have, but noticed the wire rusts so am going to get metal all weather zip ties and change the wire out for them. II have noticed a HUGE difference in Gypsy's behavior since putting up the lumber tarps. Not nearly as much bickering with the neighbors little yappers AND ignoring other dogs out on our walks too. Last but not least, the fence tarps are half the cost of privacy slats and Much easier to put up!

Gypsy has calmed down soooooo much! We play frisbee (I throw them low) 3-4 times a day for maybe 10 minutes at a time and go out often for just roaming the yard, potty trips, water play, etc. She LOVES water! Today she was in the wading pool at 6am, and laying in the water. Goofy girl. Our morning routine, so I can have a peaceful cup of coffee and check my email, she gets a marrow bone (frozen) and they are worth their weight in gold in my opinion. She does like to test her boundaries with me, and when she won't stop after X number of times, she gets time outs in her crate. She will be 8 months old in a week! The time has flown by.

Zisso still loves her. He nibbles behind her ears, especially when she is in the pool. They play, romp, run, and sometimes he still corrects her, or like today, he got her as they played and pulled a chunk of hair out. She barely noticed. She can be wild as wild can be, running circles around the old guy. He is smart and just waits for her come back in 3-2-1...lol

They keep me busy! We still walk but not every morning. A few times a week now, because it is getting warmer. If we are not out by 8am, we aren't going. I stopped trying so hard to socialize her. I am letting her work on that in baby steps. Always take treats & a clicker on our walks, use the Gentle leader, and distract and praise. It is working! She is not so nervous when meeting other people outside the home now. Strangers gave her treats the other day and a pitbull walked by at the same time, and she ignored the pit and took the treat from a stranger.

She is a work in progress, and progress we are making!

Bev~mom to:
Zisso-DOB 09/16/07

Re: I Hired a Trainer [Re: Zisso] #350940
06/28/19 04:52 PM
06/28/19 04:52 PM
Eastern Oregon
Z
Zisso Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Zisso  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Z

Eastern Oregon
Gypsy turned 8 months old on the 26th! I can't believe how fast time has flown in a way. I do remember clearly the feeling that we may not make it this far. She is getting better with people we encounter on our walks, will take treats from them, investigate them, and even let a guy walk with us last week for a short distance. She is still terrible with other dogs, which breaks my heart in a way, because we live between two houses that both have dogs. She is willing to fence fight with any of them, any time. When I fired the trainer for not keeping her appointments with us and got the refund, I bought fence tarps and got them hung up. They look great, however they do leave a little gap at the bottom where Gypsy can still see the noses of the little yappers on that side. I priced pavers that are scalloped on top to put along the bottom of the fence tarps to block that 'view' and the potential of more fence fighting. It will be a few months before I can get them, but it will be worth every penny. They are just grey concrete, so to spruce them up I am going to paint them-spray paint in bright colors. Or maybe the same color as the fence tarps, or black. I can't decide! Our walks are peaceful. If we happen to see other dogs I work on her focusing on me, and treats and praise when another dogs goes by while she ignores it. I keep my eyes and ears open always on the lookout for a potential problem. I need my neighbors on the other side of the yard to at least reinforce their old dilapidated wood fence before their dogs manage to break through it like they did last year before Gypsy joined us.

These are not my fence tarps but mine look exactly like this. I did 2 tarps and covered 70' of 6' tall chain link fence.

[Linked Image]

pavers I want to get
[Linked Image]

Zisso got to go to the vet yesterday to get his ears cleaned and nails trimmed. He can no longer get into the car unassisted. At home, I have a big wooden box to use as a step to give him the leverage he needs, but I found out at the vet that the box needs to travel with us from now on. He also kind of drags a paw now and then- I can hear the top of his nails drag on the sidewalk. Not often, but noticeable. And of course he has the limp, likely caused by arthritis. He will be 12 in September. I cannot imagine losing him despite knowing eventually I will frown He and Gypsy are so bonded, and I wonder how she will handle his loss as well. These are things for future days though and we live in the moment, taking advantage of every opportunity to be together and enjoy each moment.

Training with Gypsy on my own is evolving too. Early on she learned 'touch' where she is to bump my hand with her nose. She does it so eagerly that it is with an open mouth, but it is cute and I love it. I am now teaching her to ring a bell- the kind you find at a service counter in motels and places like that. This is something we work on when it is stormy out. She gets a marrow bone every morning to occupy her while I have my coffee, and knows her 'place' for that- on a towel in the living room. Leave it is well known too. During our walks, we stop at every road crossing- she automatically sits...click & treat. She knows my mom and take me straight to her when we visit there. We had a storm the other day that knocked branches out of the trees out back, and she 'helped' me to clean up by debarking and detwigging them in areas I had cleaned up. Goofy Goose!

That's about all for now. She is waiting to go out and play....again smile

Bev~mom to:
Zisso-DOB 09/16/07

Re: I Hired a Trainer [Re: Zisso] #350942
06/28/19 06:57 PM
06/28/19 06:57 PM
M
middleofnowhere Offline
Carpal Tunnel
middleofnowhere  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M

Bev, you've done great with your two dogs! Just for the record, my quite dog friendly dogs, especially BTE2, will fence fight. There's just something about fences with another critter on the other side, especially if one has been rude to your dog as a pup. (my experience anyway).

Keep an eye on Craig's list and free cycle for pavers. I got a great deal on them from CL out here. In Arkansas, I could pick them up for free as people threw them out. I've used the scalloped ones by turning them scallop side down (easier mowing for me). Bi-Mart can be a source for these cheaper than some other outlets, too. Then again I think places like Lowes & HD tend to place stuff like this on sale near the end of the season. Your fence looks great. I'd have never guessed that the fence tarps would look so good.

I love hearing about adventures with Z & GB...

Another thought for helping Z when you're not at the house --- maybe if you don't want a ramp, one of those small plastic stools would be portable enough? (veteran of many old dogs here).

Re: I Hired a Trainer [Re: Zisso] #350945
06/29/19 02:58 AM
06/29/19 02:58 AM
Eastern Oregon
Z
Zisso Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Zisso  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Z

Eastern Oregon
Thank you Middle!

Oh yeah-the stool! Great idea! If it is sturdy enough. He is still a chicken on some thing LOL The box is big enough to get all 4 feet on it for good balance. The stool would be perfect though for simple trips. Thank you!

I have a bad habit of doubting myself and my ability to do right by these two. Thank you for your encouragement smile I am looking forward to seeing how Gypsy does as she gets older. I can't imagine life being any kind of mellow for a few years LOL

Bev~mom to:
Zisso-DOB 09/16/07

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Military Working Dogs
by middleofnowhere. 09/18/19 04:50 AM
September 2019 Photo Contest Entries
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 09/02/19 02:59 PM
Comments for September 2019 Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 09/02/19 02:58 PM
Time to Vote for August 2019 Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 08/29/19 02:43 PM
Number of poops per day
by Shilohsmom. 08/28/19 03:09 AM
Forti Flora Opinions
by SeanRescueMom. 08/27/19 01:01 AM
Eyra vom Wildhaus
by Charlotte. 08/21/19 12:49 AM
Swollen hock and fever???
by ArizonaGunGuy. 08/07/19 05:34 PM
August 2019 Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 08/02/19 04:59 PM
Comments for August 2019 Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 08/02/19 04:56 PM
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Happy 12th Birthday Zisso!
by Zisso. 09/16/19 04:55 PM
Exciting news
by Shilohsmom. 08/21/19 04:08 AM
Bathrom Remodeling
by Woodreb. 08/03/19 07:13 PM
How is everyone doing?
by Indra. 01/20/19 02:41 PM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 7 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
robirita, Luke, antonio, Cairo_the_GSD, teefs
2965 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics18,287
Posts286,438
Members2,965
Most Online370
Aug 3rd, 2019