05/11/19 06:14 AM
05/11/19 06:14 AM
NE Ohio
Selzer Offline OP
Veteran
Selzer  Offline OP
Veteran

NE Ohio
I appreciate the kind wishes and responses. I am going to have to change my desk top because it is a photo of Quinnie and Babsy both looking at me. I love it and it hurts. They were so beautiful, so trusting. I've been on the verge of tears.

I still have such beautiful and good dogs. I took some hours off work the other day, and bought swimming pools, four big ones. It was in the 70s, and I put two together so they would be more rigid and then filled them with water in Bear and Tinny's kennel and in the kennel where Cujo2, Hepsi and Kaiah are. Watching the youngsters play in the water was awesome.

I have a lot to live for. I have my family and my critters. I took a half-day off again today. It's been really slow at work, and when I don't have a lot to do at work I think too much, and then I start spiraling. There are still Heidi and Odie that are living on borrowed time. Then I [/i]should[i]get a reprieve. I've had a lot of loss this past year, but then I've had a lot of dogs. 38 regulars (that I had a minimum of 10 months) in the past 25 years. In 24 of those years, I lost 8 and rehomed 12. One of the 12 is now passed, Rushie. He was 11 when he passed. In the last year I have lost five and rehomed 1. The dogs I rehomed have a better life, being one of one, or one of two dogs, and most of them were young, 10 months old to 3 years old. Only Lassie was six, and Dolly, seven. I hear about them, all of them, all the time. I know it was the best thing to do for each.

But I am being ripped apart all the same. When you have 12-18 dogs and lose one or two, and then go 3 years before losing another, and maybe give one up each year, one you decided not to breed, and a home presented itself that wants a dog, and would be happy with one that isn't a little puppy, and they tell you that the dog walks right at their side, the dog goes everywhere with them, the dog loves the pool. the dog is great with the grandchildren, the dog kept the teenage daughter alive as she went through some tough times, but did not want to leave the dog. I dunno. There are good changes. And it is easier to take care of 12 than 15 or 18 or 22. I wanted to take all my heart medication when I took Quinnie in to put her down. But I wanted to be there for Babsy, because I knew that we didn't have long and she was all mine.

Every day of her life she was mine. You can't take them to work with you every day for more than a year without something special between you. Babsy was a people. She just had four feet, no arms, and couldn't talk, except for her eyes. She spoke with her eyes. She was like me. She loved to eat. And she didn't love to move all that much. OMG, I am 50 years old and whining about my dog! An OLD dog, that I knew was going to go.

A breeder once told me that they kept their girls until they were six, and then they rehomed them. That probably is not a bad idea. But, I don't know, there is just something about mature bitches. It was hard to give up Dolly and Lassie. I don't know if I could give up the really special ones, the ones I was willing to breed. Like Bear and Babs and Arwen and Jenna. Karma just turned six. I couldn't give her up. And it gives me the information on how they age. Having 3 dogs age 1 or under, a 2 year old and a 3 year old is setting myself up for another year like this, though, if I am lucky.

Geriatric:
Seniors: Heidi, Odessa
Mature Adults: Joy, Bear, Hepzibah
Adults: Karma, Cujo 2
Young Adults: Ramona, Kojak
Puppies: Tinuviel, Uzzi, and Kaiah

Re: Babsy [Re: Selzer] #350650
05/12/19 12:17 AM
05/12/19 12:17 AM
Mary Jane Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary Jane  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hearing your dog CV I am timid about posting. I will anyway, I have lost a lot of loved ones.

For about 40 years I've worked in a hard-nosed field and it means nothing when you lose someone. You can count successes and not so successes many ways-who cares?

We are lucky to love.

You don't need me to say this but as a random person online I think you have a lot to be proud of.

Mary Jane

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
What did you keep?
by Shilohsmom. 07/22/19 08:33 PM
Unprepared
by Zisso. 07/04/19 05:35 PM
July 2019 Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 07/01/19 11:29 PM
Comments for July 2019 Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 07/01/19 11:28 PM
Kody turned two today
by Shilohsmom. 06/29/19 09:49 PM
Time to Vote for June 2019 Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 06/28/19 12:55 PM
Havoc's Story
by Kayos. 06/27/19 05:49 PM
Feeding instructions
by Shilohsmom. 06/25/19 08:11 PM
Doggie flu in east bay
by Shilohsmom. 06/22/19 12:18 AM
GREAT E-collar alternative
by Mary Jane. 06/21/19 02:07 PM
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
How is everyone doing?
by Indra. 01/20/19 02:41 PM
Word Association Game - Part 2
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 01/21/13 03:27 PM
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rommel's Mom), 7 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Lokimon, Dorri, StrykersMama, jckd, shdep
2956 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics18,265
Posts286,212
Members2,956
Most Online220
Dec 20th, 2018