06/07/19 07:13 PM
Alexandria, NH
Woodreb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Woodreb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Alexandria, NH
Bev,

I certainly don't think you are being too harsh with this trainer. I thought when I read your last couple of posts about the trainer that it almost seemed like a scam, especially since you paid up front for 5 sessions. I hope you are able to get a refund without going through too much hassle.

With Gypsy, what you are doing sounds like a version of the "look at that game", i.e. look at that whatever, look at me and get a treat. They need to be the highest value treats so it's easier (sort of) to get her attention off the other dog. I did some things like this with Caleb when he was a puppy and made some progress, but then work and such got busy and I did not keep it up. He still barks at other dogs and is a royal pain when on leash, but off leash, with the opportunity to meet the other dog, he goes and sniffs and is fine. With him, it's a leash aggression/frustration kind of thing.

Good luck with her and your new approach.

Johanna

Caleb (aka Caleb-Moose)
Ciara(aka Ciara Belle, Black Devil)

RIP Aodhán, Rica, Max, Kelly - gone but never forgotten - forever in my heart
Re: I Hired a Trainer [Re: Zisso] #350746
06/07/19 09:33 PM
06/07/19 09:33 PM
Eastern Oregon
Z
Zisso Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Zisso  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Z

Eastern Oregon
Thank you Johanna! Thank you a million times over! I needed to hear that from someone!

This trainer and I have shared many messages on FB this morning. She has offered to meet Sunday but I declined. She wanted to mail the refund at that point and I declined...she could take her sweet time sending it and I am fed up with her so not an option. Now I am waiting (2.5 hours) for her to answer me on how much she is refunding. $325/5 session, $75 for single sessions and I got 2, means I should get $175- anything less is unacceptable. She gave me a couple of song & dance reasons why this is happening, being a single mother and running her business alone. Neither of these are my problem. She has now said she can drop it off on Tuesday or meet me.

Yes, the Touch and Treat is like 'look at that' or a focus game. Letting her touch my hand seems the easiest point of contact between us. She is adorable when she does the touch here at home! Now I am adding it to play time to reinforce it more. I am using a Halti/Gentle Leader on our walks so I can redirect her easier...lead her nose back to me when she sees a dog to focus on. It seems to be working better than a prong collar. Today was good for her and our walks are bound to have new challenges as weather improves.

Gypsy saw 2 dogs on our walk today and did not over react. No barking, no lunging. The touch game sort of kind of worked with the 1st dog, but not the 2nd. Neither one were close to her bubble...they were a safe distance away. She saw the 1st dog before I did and was still good about it.

She is in time out and I need to get her out of there so Thank you again Johanna!

Bev~mom to:
Zisso-DOB 09/16/07

R.I.P. Kiki, Nadia, Pepe, and all my other loves from years gone by.
Re: I Hired a Trainer [Re: Zisso] #350747
06/07/19 09:49 PM
06/07/19 09:49 PM
M
middleofnowhere Offline
Carpal Tunnel
middleofnowhere  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M

Bev, Standing up for our dogs and standing up for our selves can be tough to do. So congrats on that front, too. As I see it, you shouldn't be charged for more than $65 ea for the two "sessions" -- If you settle for getting 175 back, that's generous of you.

Your "touch" is pretty much my "looky!" for focus - if you translate it to focus, it would be useful in overall obedience routine. Maybe as touch, too. though. Just not competition (which I really think you should do with this pup--- more advise you didn't ask for...)

Bev - on the stock tank --- the one I got is maybe 18 inches high - green plastic, I think they make short metal ones, too.

Re: I Hired a Trainer [Re: Zisso] #350749
06/08/19 08:36 PM
06/08/19 08:36 PM
Eastern Oregon
Z
Zisso Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Zisso  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Z

Eastern Oregon
Awww thanks Middle! I would be willing to settle for 175 just to have it over with. I have a feeling I will be lucky to get that much, and will have to fight for it. She strikes me as the type to try short change me since 'she is a single mother and the only one running her business. I won't accept any less than $175.

Yes, the touch is a 'looky' for focus. I wish I could do something with her like Schutzhund, or better yet, Dock Diving. I had a blast with Zisso and Nadia in dock diving and I know GB would rock it, but Junction City is too far away for me given I don't care for driving long distances any more. Heck, the trip to WA is likely my last long distance trip ever! I put up a post on the Baker County Classifieds on FB for a stock tank and got one recommendation for a kiddie pool at walmart rofl

BIG NEWS: Well big to me... On my walk with Gypsy today, we went a different way, that brought us onto our own road where it has always been fairly safe. I spotted a blue heeler/cattle dog coming from a yard (where he was visiting-I know the people and they don't own one) and he was in GB's bubble. I turned away with her, crossed the road, and she never even knew he was there. BIG kudos to me girl for not noticing and making trouble, because he didn't look friendly at all. That is one breed I have issues of my own with, having had a bad bite from one some 30 years ago. I don't trust them.

MORE BIG NEWS: Dads cousin Ernie is going to stay with the dogs while I go to my granddaughter's graduation in WA from the 14th to the 16th. I was getting worried because he had not been over to let GB get used to him. He stopped by today though and by the time he left, she let pet the top of her head & walk around the house without barking and being all sketchy acting like she would bite. I told him he would have to be firm with her, when she is misbehaving or acting all baddass towards him, and that if she didn't settle down when he said to, to put her in a time out in her crate, as well as all the other things, like closing doors, garbage can content shredder, etc. Crate when gone and at night. All the basics. But I was impressed that she stopped acting badly when he got up and walked around. This is a Major step in the right direction for her! Whooohoooo! (Maybe the high value treats helped wink )

Last edited by Zisso; 06/08/19 08:43 PM.

Bev~mom to:
Zisso-DOB 09/16/07

Re: I Hired a Trainer [Re: Zisso] #350752
06/09/19 11:10 AM
06/09/19 11:10 AM
Tennessee
DarkEyes Offline
Enthusiast
DarkEyes  Offline
Enthusiast

Tennessee
This is great, Bev! Did you advise him about getting her exercised? If she's exercised well, she will not overthink things. You're doing so good with GB! From1 fellow owner of a super-hyper dog to another, I'm proud of you!

I've been in a few situations where a loose, territorial dog came running after me and Abbey. I've learned that Abbey likes to take the fight AWAY from me, to keep me from getting hurting. So holding on to the leash in a fight would only get worse on ME (but maybe that's because due to my nerve-issues, any jerk on my limbs cause me too much pain). Territorial dogs, I think, just wants to show dominance. I was able to step between the two dogs or yank on the offending dog's tail to snap it out of it and realize I'm there, while I'm yelling at Abbey "LEAVE IT!" and I tell the dog to git.
It's a tough situation but control over your dog helps so much.

Abbey: 11 years old German Shepherd

Suki: 11 years old grumpy Calico

Bella: Kitten, Ragdoll

2 little angels/monsters in disguise: My 2 boys
Re: I Hired a Trainer [Re: Zisso] #350753
06/09/19 01:59 PM
06/09/19 01:59 PM
Eastern Oregon
Z
Zisso Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Zisso  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Z

Eastern Oregon
Dark Eyes- everything changed overnight. But first, Thank You! As you know, this has been a hard road and figuring things out for G's best interest has had me reeling.

I will not be going to WA after all. My granddaughter is super busy, between getting ready for prom, working and preparing for a trip to California right after graduation, so will likely not really have little time for visitors, including dear old Granny. My daughter realizes that the trip is hard and expensive, and that I have a lot on my plate between taking care of mom's fragile condition in the home, my dogs, job and home. She also knows that I was stressed out about the drive and the mass traffic up there. So Ernie won't have to dog sit, my brother won't have to go when he doesn't want to, and I can use my 5 days off at work to get more stuff dome to prepare for a tool sale (selling dads tools). I won't have to worry about what if something happens with mom while I am gone (she is on hospice but back to her baseline and doing as well as can be expected), or worry about Ernie and the dogs. He is not the kind of guy at 70+yrs to go play Frisbee or ball with her and would doubtfully be able to walk her either.

I have to say, it is a relief. I will send a nice gift and my love and let my daughter off the hook on trying to entertain an old fuddy dud like me. She will have a hectic house with other friends and family so I think it is nice of her to let me stay home.

The territorial dog: I am glad I caught him in my sights before he caused trouble and scared the crap out of Gypsy and that she didn't see him to exasperate the situation with her fear aggression. With my 1st pup 20 years ago, we were attacked by a Rottie and pittie. I managed to scare the pittie off, but the rottie got ahold of my girl but I wouldn't let go of her leash. I had her on a choker chain collar, and literally nearly choked her to death. It all happened so fast (felt like an eternity) and she did survive, and was even okay, but I was traumatized for life. Hence my major fear of other dogs around my dogs. I have always been okay with my dogs not being dog park kind of dogs. People - yes, I want her to accept people I approve of, and there are few here. It's not like I am a social butterfly anymore like I was back then. So, as long as I remain aware of my surroundings, we will be okay. I will keep working towards having her ignore other dogs, so we can enjoy our time out and about.

All of the above puts me at peace.

Last edited by Zisso; 06/09/19 02:02 PM.

Bev~mom to:
Zisso-DOB 09/16/07

Re: I Hired a Trainer [Re: Zisso] #350758
06/09/19 07:18 PM
06/09/19 07:18 PM
Tennessee
DarkEyes Offline
Enthusiast
DarkEyes  Offline
Enthusiast

Tennessee
Bev, another advice. You'll need to be aware of your demeaner. If you start to get nervous, or concerned, GB will pick up on that too. Your trauma can be relayed to her as "My person is showing fear or insecurity, I should feel this way too" and act accordingly. I learned this with Abbey, she's very perceptive and will pick up on my husband's moods or mine easily. If my husband shows guard or puts on a "don't mess with me, better watch what you're doing" mood or feeling, Abbey will do the exact same thing. With me, I put her on a lay down/stay position while I greet the stranger. This shows Abbey I am in control and I will call her when she's had time to get a feel of the stranger being there and see that I'm not worried.

We've been attacked by 2 pitbull mixes, a heeler mix, a boxer, a different pitt bull mix, and a herd of ankle-biters following a territorial medium-sized mutt. All of them was because the owners didn't have control over their dogs and Abbey and I was just walking down the street.

Abbey: 11 years old German Shepherd

Suki: 11 years old grumpy Calico

Bella: Kitten, Ragdoll

2 little angels/monsters in disguise: My 2 boys
Re: I Hired a Trainer [Re: Zisso] #350760
06/09/19 11:19 PM
06/09/19 11:19 PM
Eastern Oregon
Z
Zisso Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Zisso  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Z

Eastern Oregon
Thanks DarkEyes,

Yep...always trying to be aware of the vibes I cast off. In the route we take we rarely see other dogs, but I am always on the lookout especially as the weather improves. So for instance, I will be getting a treat out as I scan ahead, or I will walk backwards and tell her come come come baby girl all happy to check behind us. She also checks behind us like she's worried someone will come up on us and I just glance back quickly when she does. I am doing everything I can to keep our walks happy and upbeat, creative and fun. So far it has worked nicely. I am also changing up the hour that we walk, sometimes early sometimes later. I think otherwise it gets too boring and too easy to let my guard down. Gypsy is getting better every day at checking in with me...looking to me to see what and when we are changing things up. Today we had no encounters and a very happy walk smile

Bev~mom to:
Zisso-DOB 09/16/07

Re: I Hired a Trainer [Re: Zisso] #350765
06/09/19 11:55 PM
06/09/19 11:55 PM
Alexandria, NH
Woodreb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Woodreb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Alexandria, NH
thumbup fetch

Johanna

Caleb (aka Caleb-Moose)
Ciara(aka Ciara Belle, Black Devil)

RIP Aodhán, Rica, Max, Kelly - gone but never forgotten - forever in my heart
Re: I Hired a Trainer [Re: Woodreb] #350766
06/09/19 11:59 PM
06/09/19 11:59 PM
S
Shilohsmom Online content
Pooh-Bah
Shilohsmom  Online Content
Pooh-Bah
S

Sorry to hear of the problems with the trainer. I hope it gets settled soon. Your doing a great job with that little girl. I especially liked the picture with Z being a pup again and playing with her.

Rosa

Proud Mom to Kody and Sasha
and never to be forgotten, Shiloh, Shoshi and Eli
Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks its the greatest dog that ever lived!
Re: I Hired a Trainer [Re: Shilohsmom] #350776
06/10/19 12:32 PM
06/10/19 12:32 PM
Eastern Oregon
Z
Zisso Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Zisso  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Z

Eastern Oregon
Originally Posted by Shilohsmom
Sorry to hear of the problems with the trainer. I hope it gets settled soon. Your doing a great job with that little girl. I especially liked the picture with Z being a pup again and playing with her.

Thank you smile He sure is a happy old guy these days!

Bev~mom to:
Zisso-DOB 09/16/07

Re: I Hired a Trainer [Re: Zisso] #350790
06/10/19 07:15 PM
06/10/19 07:15 PM
Eastern Oregon
Z
Zisso Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Zisso  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Z

Eastern Oregon
I finally just heard back from the trainer and she sad she is refunding $195!! Good call on that Middle!!

I just got back from the butcher shop where I bought 10 dog bones. Well worth the money for days I don't feel like walking/playing/training! It always makes me feel like garbage that Z can't have them, as it upsets his GI, but it sure is nice to have Gypsy settled chewing on a bone. It gives me a chance to get things done!

Bev~mom to:
Zisso-DOB 09/16/07

Re: I Hired a Trainer [Re: Zisso] #350792
06/10/19 08:25 PM
06/10/19 08:25 PM
Wisconsin
Wisc.Tiger_Val Offline
Member First - Owner Second "The Watcher"
Wisc.Tiger_Val  Offline
Member First - Owner Second "The Watcher"

Wisconsin
I am glad you got a refund. Exercise before training was a must with Cheyenne, I needed her energy level a bit lower so she could learn things and not just burning off energy.

Val da Tiger

Fuzzybutt the cat.
Neilla the Big White puppy.

RIP Cheyenne - AKA: Digger, CheyChey Girl, Cheyenne Large and In charge. 2/16/02 - 2/27/16
RIP Raya - AKA: Raz-a, Ray a Sunshine, RayBestos, the little one, Silly Girl. 9/21/05 - 6/27/14
RIP Lakota - AKA: Bubba, Big Boy, BooBoo (the other part of the Binky and BooBoo team). 1/19/03-9/19/2011
RIP DeeDee - AKA: DD Poo, Little Bit, Binky (part of the Binky and Booboo team) 6/23/02-6/20/11
Re: I Hired a Trainer [Re: Zisso] #350800
06/11/19 02:01 PM
06/11/19 02:01 PM
M
middleofnowhere Offline
Carpal Tunnel
middleofnowhere  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M

Way to go Bev! I think the one "benefit" you got out of this expensive experience was confidence in yourself with GB. Not that that benefit was directly from the trainer.... but hey!

Re: I Hired a Trainer [Re: middleofnowhere] #350804
06/11/19 06:48 PM
06/11/19 06:48 PM
Eastern Oregon
Z
Zisso Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Zisso  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Z

Eastern Oregon
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere
Way to go Bev! I think the one "benefit" you got out of this expensive experience was confidence in yourself with GB. Not that that benefit was directly from the trainer.... but hey!

You are right again Middle! And the determination too! Now there is no stopping what we can do together. Hopefully I can do it without too much whining on the forum or private messages from here on out too LOL

Bev~mom to:
Zisso-DOB 09/16/07

Re: I Hired a Trainer [Re: Zisso] #350811
06/11/19 09:00 PM
06/11/19 09:00 PM
Eastern Oregon
Z
Zisso Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Zisso  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Z

Eastern Oregon
Well well welllllll!

I got my refund! $195 in cash. She was supposed to be here between 3 & 4:45 but showed up at 1:45. I guess schedules really do mean nothing to her. She sent me a message on FB saying she was on her way, but believe it or not, I wasn't online. The dogs and I were trying to take a nap.

I took the money straight to the bank, because I wanted to get the fence tarps ordered ASAP. I was hoping to have them during my 5 days off since I am not going to WA (I am not going because it is more important to be here if anything happens to my mom, like another seizure, etc and because my granddaughter who is graduating is super busy between work, graduation and prepping for a trip to California, which she will be leaving for very soon after her ceremony anyway. ) Anyways, I ordered the tarps and will have them to put up by the end of the month.

Last edited by Zisso; 06/11/19 09:04 PM.

Bev~mom to:
Zisso-DOB 09/16/07

Re: I Hired a Trainer [Re: Wisc.Tiger_Val] #350812
06/11/19 09:08 PM
06/11/19 09:08 PM
Eastern Oregon
Z
Zisso Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Zisso  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Z

Eastern Oregon
Originally Posted by Wisc.Tiger_Val
I am glad you got a refund. Exercise before training was a must with Cheyenne, I needed her energy level a bit lower so she could learn things and not just burning off energy.
Yes! Gypsy also needs the exercise before training. She is too scatter brained to focus and truly learn otherwise. After exercise and training she can settle sometimes, and other times is ready for more play/exercise. When I am burned out, I give a bone to chew on. Sadly Z can't have them due to his GI, but by then he has had his exercise/playtime and is resting in another room.

Bev~mom to:
Zisso-DOB 09/16/07

Re: I Hired a Trainer [Re: Zisso] #350813
06/11/19 10:53 PM
06/11/19 10:53 PM
S
Shilohsmom Online content
Pooh-Bah
Shilohsmom  Online Content
Pooh-Bah
S

I'm so glad you got the refund congrats cheers

Rosa

Proud Mom to Kody and Sasha
and never to be forgotten, Shiloh, Shoshi and Eli
Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks its the greatest dog that ever lived!
Re: I Hired a Trainer [Re: Zisso] #350822
06/12/19 05:25 AM
06/12/19 05:25 AM
Eastern Oregon
Z
Zisso Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Zisso  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Z

Eastern Oregon
Thanks Ladies smile

I am officially on a 5 day hiatus from work! That means 5 whole days of doing whatever strikes our fancy here. Wading pool fun frisbee catchin' walkin' trainin' stayin' outta trouble with my dogs staycation!! I can't help but be excited. Last time I took any time off was when dad passed away in December, and then it was only because of the shock of it all.

I am looking forward to a lot of things and dreading a few too. Lots of work to get done around here, but this is my big chance to refocus on our training regimen. There is so much to do around the house like yard work, house repairs, tree trimming, deck to paint. But these next few months is going to be the start of an easier financial situation for me and I plan to hire help. I simply can't do all these things on my own. These 5 days are for fun with my dogs....Period! Oooh and Sleeeep! Yes, that too! haha!

Bev~mom to:
Zisso-DOB 09/16/07

Re: I Hired a Trainer [Re: Zisso] #350824
06/12/19 12:03 PM
06/12/19 12:03 PM
Eastern Oregon
Z
Zisso Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Zisso  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Z

Eastern Oregon
Sleep...I guess I jinxed myself. Guess who woke up at 4:30 in the morning with the birds? And guess who couldn't get back to sleep after letting a certain pair of dogs out to potty? Gah! LOL

Bev~mom to:
Zisso-DOB 09/16/07

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Akbar
by mjbgsd. 08/17/19 07:37 PM
CH Deschutes of Crooked Creek
by mjbgsd. 08/16/19 07:00 PM
Isa 2005-2019
by mjbgsd. 08/16/19 06:51 PM
Swollen hock and fever???
by ArizonaGunGuy. 08/07/19 05:34 PM
August 2019 Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 08/02/19 04:59 PM
Comments for August 2019 Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 08/02/19 04:56 PM
Time to Vote for July 2019 Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 07/29/19 09:28 PM
Keeping Cool
by MaxaLisa. 07/28/19 08:17 PM
Digital or prints
by Shilohsmom. 07/23/19 11:45 PM
Heat Cycles
by middleofnowhere. 07/23/19 04:50 PM
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Bathrom Remodeling
by Woodreb. 08/03/19 07:13 PM
Crafts
by Shilohsmom. 08/02/19 04:30 PM
How is everyone doing?
by Indra. 01/20/19 02:41 PM
Word Association Game - Part 2
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 01/21/13 03:27 PM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1 guest and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Kris2112, ArizonaGunGuy, Peter, Cookie223, Lokimon
2960 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics18,277
Posts286,363
Members2,960
Most Online370
Aug 3rd, 2019