09/22/16 04:47 PM
09/22/16 04:47 PM
Northern CA
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator
MaxaLisa  Offline

Global Moderator
Northern CA
I would do the bloodwork. Even if you can somewhat manage the symptoms via highly manufactured food, you still want to know if there is EPI, which can get worse as the dog ages, as well asa B-12 deficiency and SIBO (those are typically test for at the same time). Be sure you do the fast for the epi test. Vets who are hesitant to do necessary bloodwork are as bad as vets that overdo the testing!

I am not a fan of the force feeding of food that they don't want to eat. I trust the dog's instinct. As for changing from the food that he was on to the new fan, I can appreciate the hesitancy, no comparison in quality, though the content may be better either in digestibility or removal of an offending incredient. It could be as easy as a fat intolerance (hence the need for enzymes).

You need to find out why the other food was intolerable - ingredients, epi, sibo.

MaxaL (aka LisaT)

Jazmine, mini-mix, 10/18/2011
Max-n-Indy
Max, 5/2001-2/2012, RIP my partner, my Regal Boy
Indy, 5/1997-10/2010, RIP my friend, my teacher

Health Index
K9 TBD info and Tick List Links
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/
Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: MaxaLisa] #342032
09/30/16 01:00 AM
09/30/16 01:00 AM
NB, Canada
emilyL Offline OP
Enthusiast
emilyL  Offline OP
Enthusiast
NB, Canada
So we have switched Ronin off of the vet's kibble to a new one. The vet gave the Ok for this after Ronin didn't eat for a week. Despite being so hungry he was starting to eat rocks! I had enough. The vet wanted me to wait another few days but I said no. I found a food at the local pet store that was for sensitive stomachs, and I only got a small bit and started Ronin off slow. So far, Ronin likes it, his poops are all solid, and even though now he's being picky he's eating about 2.5 cups a day out of the 3.5 he should be having.

The food is called Petcurean GO! Limited Ingredient Venison Recipe. The ingredient list is below. Do you think this is a good food? I know Ronin is being picky after having been fed Raw for so long, but he's going to have to get used to it. I'm not worried about him now not eating, even if he doesn't eat as much as before.

Ingredients:
De-boned venison, venison meal, tapioca, peas, pea flour, lentils, chickpeas, canola oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), dried chicory root, sodium chloride, potassium chloride, choline chloride, vitamins (vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, inositol, niacin, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (a source of vitamin C), d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, beta-carotene, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), minerals (zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, copper proteinate, zinc oxide, manganese proteinate, copper sulphate, ferrous sulphate, calcium iodate, manganous oxide, selenium yeast), DL-methionine, L-lysine, dried rosemary.

I am your friend,your partner,your defender your dog. You are my life, my leader. I will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of my heart- I Am The German Shepherd-Anonymous
My blog: http://emilygoguen0.wixsite.com/ronin
Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: emilyL] #342033
09/30/16 02:18 PM
09/30/16 02:18 PM
Albany NY
BasiaBear Offline
Veteran
BasiaBear  Offline
Veteran
Albany NY
That looks like a good ingredient list to me... I would feed it to my dog. Did you have your appointment with the other vet yet?

Danielle
~Basia
~Amadeus
Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: BasiaBear] #342034
09/30/16 02:22 PM
09/30/16 02:22 PM
NB, Canada
emilyL Offline OP
Enthusiast
emilyL  Offline OP
Enthusiast
NB, Canada
I haven't yet but I'm booked next week. So far Ronin is doing good on it and I don't want to switch it again, and the price is reasonable too. He did have some diarrhea this morning, but he also went full tilt running for about 10 minutes and I find that if he overdoes it his system goes in to overdrive, so I'm not too worried, and since it was more pudding texture it's fine in my mind. He's eating it without me adding anything to it, and they also have other proteins as well that they said I can switch him to later on if I want. But so far the Venison is working out well. smile

I am your friend,your partner,your defender your dog. You are my life, my leader. I will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of my heart- I Am The German Shepherd-Anonymous
Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: emilyL] #342035
09/30/16 11:16 PM
09/30/16 11:16 PM
New Milford, CT
Woodreb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Woodreb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
New Milford, CT
I agree - the new food seems pretty decent. Hope Ronin continues to do well on it.

Johanna

Caleb (aka Caleb-Moose)
Ciara(aka Ciara Belle, Black Devil)

RIP Aodhán, Rica, Max, Kelly - gone but never forgotten - forever in my heart
Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: emilyL] #342036
09/30/16 11:45 PM
09/30/16 11:45 PM
CA
C
Codmaster Offline
Pooh-Bah
Codmaster  Offline
Pooh-Bah
C
CA
Originally Posted By: emilyL
So we have switched Ronin off of the vet's kibble to a new one. The vet gave the Ok for this after Ronin didn't eat for a week. Despite being so hungry he was starting to eat rocks! I had enough. The vet wanted me to wait another few days but I said no. I found a food at the local pet store that was for sensitive stomachs, and I only got a small bit and started Ronin off slow. So far, Ronin likes it, his poops are all solid, and even though now he's being picky he's eating about 2.5 cups a day out of the 3.5 he should be having.

The food is called Petcurean GO! Limited Ingredient Venison Recipe. The ingredient list is below. Do you think this is a good food? I know Ronin is being picky after having been fed Raw for so long, but he's going to have to get used to it. I'm not worried about him now not eating, even if he doesn't eat as much as before.

Ingredients:
De-boned venison, venison meal, tapioca, peas, pea flour, lentils, chickpeas, canola oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), dried chicory root, sodium chloride, potassium chloride, choline chloride, vitamins (vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, inositol, niacin, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (a source of vitamin C), d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, beta-carotene, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), minerals (zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, copper proteinate, zinc oxide, manganese proteinate, copper sulphate, ferrous sulphate, calcium iodate, manganous oxide, selenium yeast), DL-methionine, L-lysine, dried rosemary.

Your dog didn't eat for a week! That sounds really amazing! What did the vet say about your dog not eating for a week! Worst I ever had was a dog who wouldn't eat for an entire day! Without being sick of course. Your dog really sounds unusual!

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: Codmaster] #342038
10/01/16 01:50 AM
10/01/16 01:50 AM
NB, Canada
emilyL Offline OP
Enthusiast
emilyL  Offline OP
Enthusiast
NB, Canada
Yep so far so good. Yes for a week. It really scared me. He wouldn't eat it if I put yogurt in it, or pumpkin, and the only thing he would eat was treats I gave him when he was doing training or when I put him in his crate before work. The vet kept saying to just wait him out. By the seventh day, I wasn't having it. I went to the pet store, got this food after a lot of time looking at pretty much every brand there, and I went home and gave him 1 cup to see how he did and he devoured it. He has slowly been increasing the amount he eats per day. Now, we're up to the full amount. He still won't eat it at 2 times a day, but will eat some in the morning and then all the rest at night at supper time. So I'm not worried about that too much.

He had no diarrhea the entire time we've had him on it until today, but that was because I think he went outside and ran around a bit too much after just eating so I'm not going to worry about that. Every other day so far it's been all solid, even if he was rushing to get outside. I'm expecting a bit more diarrhea over the next few days just because he's at the full amount which is different for him, but we'll see how it goes. Crossing my fingers.

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: emilyL] #342041
10/01/16 02:15 PM
10/01/16 02:15 PM
Albany NY
BasiaBear Offline
Veteran
BasiaBear  Offline
Veteran
Albany NY
That's really great news. My guess is that he's a picky eater and the first kibble had really low quality ingredients. One week without food is pretty scary though. Over here, one day sans food would scare me, but every dog is different. Have you ever fed him green tripe? That might be a handy thing to have if you ever need to coax him to eat his kibble. Most dogs go bonkers for it. It's really stinky and flavorful and super nutritious.

Danielle
~Basia
~Amadeus
Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: BasiaBear] #342044
10/01/16 04:22 PM
10/01/16 04:22 PM
NB, Canada
emilyL Offline OP
Enthusiast
emilyL  Offline OP
Enthusiast
NB, Canada
I've heard that. My concern with that is that I'm super allergic to fish and seafood so I don't think I could handle that. I was really scared after day 3 of no eating but they said to leave it and he would eat, but nope. I was terrified. Just glad he's doing better now and is back pretty much to his normal self

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: emilyL] #342047
10/01/16 06:16 PM
10/01/16 06:16 PM
New Milford, CT
Woodreb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Woodreb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
New Milford, CT
Tripe isn't fish or seafood it's the stomach lining of farm animals.

Johanna

Caleb (aka Caleb-Moose)
Ciara(aka Ciara Belle, Black Devil)

RIP Aodhán, Rica, Max, Kelly - gone but never forgotten - forever in my heart
Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: Woodreb] #342049
10/02/16 01:20 AM
10/02/16 01:20 AM
NB, Canada
emilyL Offline OP
Enthusiast
emilyL  Offline OP
Enthusiast
NB, Canada
Oh really? Someone told me once that it was fish! I'll have to look into that for sure then.

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: emilyL] #342053
10/02/16 02:13 PM
10/02/16 02:13 PM
Albany NY
BasiaBear Offline
Veteran
BasiaBear  Offline
Veteran
Albany NY
It's the stomachs of ruminants- cud chewing- animals. It can't be the stuff for human consumption from the grocery store though since they clean and bleach it out. Green tripe is unprocessed so all the digestive enzymes, probiotics, partially digested grass, etc. are still in there. It's very... erm... aromatic, lol. But it must taste wonderful to dogs. I haven't used it since I had to get rid of my freezer when I moved to a tiny apt. but finding a good source was tricky. I think there might be companies who ship... not sure why I never looked into that but there must be. I should look into that for myself now that I think about it.

Danielle
~Basia
~Amadeus
Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: emilyL] #342054
10/02/16 03:30 PM
10/02/16 03:30 PM
BC
C
ChristianLai Offline
ChristianLai  Offline
C
BC
Hi !

I would recommend to work her and get her tired ( hikes ,play, fast spurts)etc.
Set a schedule feed only small amounts and buy the smallest bag.

Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: ChristianLai] #342060
10/02/16 08:07 PM
10/02/16 08:07 PM
Northern CA
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator
MaxaLisa  Offline

Global Moderator
Northern CA
So great you found a food that is working. I think most of the vet script foods as "last resport" trials, mostly because there is such poor nutrition in them and most dogs don't like them.

If there is a reluctance to eat in the morning, that may be signs of trouble brewing (might not be). You might try some probiotics like the mercola pet probiotics in the evening, which often helps a stomach that isn't quite right.

I use the K9 natural tripe. Jazz will only eat the freeze dried (as opposed to frozen or canned), but it was a turning point in her IBD. I've been meaning to try the raw someday.

Again, I don't think this is picky for the sake of picky. I think this is picky because things aren't optimal. How not optimal depends on the sensitivity of the dog. Some dogs will stop eating sooner than others. Other donkt stop eating if there are other dogs/cats in the house. I definitely wouldn't let that go on for a week, but you are learning what is going on with your dog AND also when to trust your instinct over yout vet's.

MaxaL (aka LisaT)

Max-n-Indy

Health Index
Re: Ronin Won't Eat New Food [Re: ChristianLai] #342061
10/02/16 08:12 PM
10/02/16 08:12 PM
Northern CA
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator
MaxaLisa  Offline

Global Moderator
Northern CA
Originally Posted By: ChristianLai
Hi !

I would recommend to work her and get her tired ( hikes ,play, fast spurts)etc.
Set a schedule feed only small amounts and buy the smallest bag.

Good advice in general, but definitely get the food right and make sure there aren't other underlying issues.

As a side note, I had my first dog on a prescription food for awhile. This was long beforeallergy" foods were available in the stores and before there was such a great variety offered. It was a Royal Canin food, and I had some bags that were "off" and weren't manufactured properly. I never realized it until I got the new bag and my dog got better. So, remember, ALL processed food is subject to poor processing which may affect the dog (or cat).

MaxaL (aka LisaT)

Max-n-Indy

Health Index
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Handler frustration
by middleofnowhere. 09/25/18 03:37 AM
Marshall Dillon is 2 yrs old!
by kaisersmom. 09/23/18 03:36 AM
Stories
by Shilohsmom. 09/21/18 12:03 AM
Looking for an answer, pos. food issue?
by middleofnowhere. 09/20/18 02:52 AM
Happy Birthday Z!
by Zisso. 09/16/18 02:50 PM
The day my dog tried to kill me
by Sylv. 09/14/18 08:20 PM
Harness
by Todd. 09/12/18 08:48 PM
But Bennie wasn't broken!
by PositiveDog. 09/07/18 10:43 PM
Flea & Tick preventative
by Shilohsmom. 09/07/18 04:08 AM
I'm Back
by Chey & The Herd. 09/04/18 08:07 PM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
East coast friends, please keep us posted
by PositiveDog. 09/13/18 08:27 PM
Kathy (Kayos Mod) could use us
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 09/04/18 01:34 PM
Happy Labor Day weekend
by Shilohsmom. 09/01/18 01:41 AM
Summer Produce/Winter YUM
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 08/30/18 04:46 PM
Punctuation Experts
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 08/25/18 07:39 PM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 81 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ArminDolphin, achilleas, Ruger0sasha, NurseBishop, Roguehk
2922 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums100
Topics20,536
Posts326,994
Members2,922
Most Online209
Jul 31st, 2018