Grooming tools, etc for double coats #327687
12/27/14 03:06 PM
12/27/14 03:06 PM
JeanKBBMMMAAN Offline OP
Rescues Rule Admin
JeanKBBMMMAAN  Offline OP
Rescues Rule Admin

http://itsdogornothing.com/grooming-a-double-coated-dog/

I was really struggling with Ilsa's coat (still with Mario's when he blows coat because it's such weird fur!) and found this article.

I ordered that Oster tool, and The Stuff.

That Oster thing was good - didn't work on everyone and only on some places on some, so I still use my regular rakes.

And there may be updated, better stuff than The Stuff, but I just wanted to get something and didn't spend the time to do a spreadsheet!

I tried this method first on Rocco the other day, because he loves to be brushed (once he gets over flopping around like a fish out of the bowl), and it worked really well. I need to get a bigger slicker - mine is for the cats. laugh

Then yesterday I tried on Ilsa. She is sensitive to touch, not a huggy, petty kind of dog, and doesn't like grooming. I followed that system on one side and it worked well. She poofed out like those puffer fish! Then, she was getting tired of me, so on the other side, I sprayed The Stuff on her first, and for her, that's the way to go.

I am not sure what real groomers would think of all of this, but I felt like I really accomplished something with her yesterday! Also not sure why all the fish comparisons especially since fish freak me out!

Last edited by JeanKBBMMMAAN; 12/27/14 03:07 PM.
Re: Grooming tools, etc for double coats [Re: JeanKBBMMMAAN] #327690
12/27/14 04:49 PM
12/27/14 04:49 PM
M
middleofnowhere Offline
Carpal Tunnel
middleofnowhere  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M

This is what I've found with long coats -- some metal combs work better on some long coats than others. The rubbermaid one for long coats was great on the original Barker Sisters. It doesn't work so well on the present companions and that's just as well as they stopped making it.

One thing that works pretty well and is probably lots cheaper than the "stuff" is cornstarch - worked in down to the skin as though you were applying powder. I applied that first, then in the heavy areas (behind the ears, butt, arm pits) I use a matt cutter/splitter. Then I use the comb, then the rake, then top off with a slicker brush.

Current Barker Sisters get by with a comb and maybe a rake, topped off with a slicker if I am being real picky. Corn starch occassionally.

Re: Grooming tools, etc for double coats [Re: middleofnowhere] #327698
12/28/14 12:20 AM
12/28/14 12:20 AM
Eastern Oregon
Z
Zisso Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Zisso  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Z

Eastern Oregon
I like the tip about corn starch! Never would have thought of it, of course. I will be trying it out in the very near future. I have a coffee table that I set up as a table for my two to stand on for grooming now. Use a leash to hold their heads up, and around their bellies to make them stand (nadia wants to lay down to be groomed and it isn't easy on me any more) I put a bath tub mat on the table so they don't s lip off the table. Because her butt feathers get extremely long & tangled, I trim them and keep tidy.

Bev~mom to:

Gypsy Breeze-DOB 10/26/18

R.I.P. Kiki, Nadia, Pepe, and all my other loves from years gone by.
R.I.P. Zisso May 2, 2020
Re: Grooming tools, etc for double coats [Re: Zisso] #327702
12/28/14 04:37 AM
12/28/14 04:37 AM
NE Ohio
Selzer Offline
Veteran
Selzer  Offline
Veteran

NE Ohio
I have taken Moofie to the groomer several times and they just love him, and I haven't had any nasty reports. He will be nine months old in about a week, so I decided to have him groom. They have been playing pretty hard outside and outside is pretty wet.

Anyway, the groomer told me she couldn't get the mud out by his unmentionables. Why? Well it is imbedded in there and he won't let her, and I will have to have a groomer cut it away.

Uhm, no. Actually, I thought I had him at a groomer. Well, I guess not. I went back there and put him in the tub and fought with them myself for a while. He was still filthy and wet.

Uhg! I thought a groomer would have the tools they needed and know what products they need to use for dogs with hair. I mentioned cornstarch because I read it on here. It is hard to do it at home right now because it is winter, but I will use cornstarch and work it out with a come/rake and then bathe him.

I am kind of disappointed with the grooming experience this time.

Geriatric: Odessa
Seniors: Bear
Mature Adults: Hepzibah, Karma, Cujo 2
Adults: Ramona, Kojak
Young Adults: Tinuviel, Uzzi, and Kaiah
Puppies: Vera
Re: Grooming tools, etc for double coats [Re: Selzer] #327713
12/28/14 12:51 PM
12/28/14 12:51 PM
Victoria, Australia
Qyn Offline
Pooh-Bah
Qyn  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Victoria, Australia
You should be disappointed with that experience Selzer. I have rebathed dogs before, usually very neglected Newfoundlands where the coat is totally muddy and matted so that the hydrosurge cannot penetrate the coat properly - the condition of these animals are the only times I would recommend clipping these type of dogs as the sodden mess is never going to dry without causing some skin irritation in the process. However in your case it should have been no issue to tease clip the matted areas away without clipping close to the skin unless it was much worse than you indicated. She may have needed a hand and I would ask an owner to help in this situation even if just their presence helps calm the dog. No need to risk damage with sharp instruments just because a dog in not used to the process.

Jean, most of those tools work well just be careful with the tools that cut matts as they are sharp and will cut flesh if not used carefully plus cutting the coat also allows more matting later on so follow up brushing is a necessity. The key is brushing often but only when dry and ensuring you get down to the skin. Most owners only brush the surface and undercoat just bunches underneath especially if it gets wet. Use your hands to push the coat away right down to the skin in the opposite direction to hair growth and then work your way down to the tail brushing as you go. I never add anything to the coat when I do this but Middle's recommendations work for her so maybe that is an option.

Alison
~~~~~~~~~~
Nix (derivative of Phoenix) Black GSD born 6 June 2011 (Gotcha day 9 Dec 2013)

Quynne gsdhalo - Black Female GSD - Sept 29, 2004 - 11 Nov 2013 Deeply missed

If you don't agree with me ... you are just not listening well enough. smile
Re: Grooming tools, etc for double coats [Re: middleofnowhere] #327741
12/29/14 08:01 AM
12/29/14 08:01 AM
SE Wisconsin
FurKids Offline
Pooh-Bah
FurKids  Offline
Pooh-Bah

SE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: middleofnowhere
One thing that works pretty well and is probably lots cheaper than the "stuff" is cornstarch - worked in down to the skin as though you were applying powder.

Sounds messy? Corn starch all over the place is what I'm envisioning unless you only do this outside?

Deb Nissa & Gracie
Forever in My Heart Riley, Hannah, Damien, Katy, Crocket, Kayla, Gypsy, Toby and Cookie
Re: Grooming tools, etc for double coats [Re: Selzer] #327742
12/29/14 08:03 AM
12/29/14 08:03 AM
SE Wisconsin
FurKids Offline
Pooh-Bah
FurKids  Offline
Pooh-Bah

SE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Selzer
I am kind of disappointed with the grooming experience this time.

frown Sounds like you could use a new groomer.

Deb Nissa & Gracie
Forever in My Heart Riley, Hannah, Damien, Katy, Crocket, Kayla, Gypsy, Toby and Cookie
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
New Photo contest here!!!
by Shilohsmom. 08/11/22 11:01 PM
Barker the Elder showing her age
by middleofnowhere. 08/11/22 03:08 AM
Where is the monthly photo contest page?
by Islandgsds. 08/09/22 11:53 PM
Ok Yara, let me get a good picture of you
by Islandgsds. 08/08/22 04:28 AM
Augie looking for refuge
by Islandgsds. 08/08/22 04:11 AM
Yara is practicing to be a model
by Islandgsds. 08/08/22 03:52 AM
New Puppy on the Way
by Woodreb. 08/03/22 10:03 PM
Close call!
by Zisso. 07/16/22 01:18 AM
Deck is gone (with pics)
by Zisso. 06/01/22 11:15 PM
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Kitchen (Stay at Home Project Update)
by Woodreb. 08/09/22 12:48 AM
Alcoholism
by jarn. 07/21/22 01:48 PM
Nice walk for bird watching
by jarn. 07/17/22 06:44 PM
Joke's on me
by middleofnowhere. 07/11/22 02:33 AM
Making it through this inflation
by Shilohsmom. 04/23/22 11:59 PM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 22 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Members
GSDman, GSDluvah, Bonwno, Mongoski, Lawz67
3048 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics18,776
Posts292,806
Members3,048
Most Online991
Jan 15th, 2020