German Shepherd Home
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Injuries as the result of your dog, share yours. [Re: middleofnowhere] #298079
10/27/13 11:15 PM
10/27/13 11:15 PM
Portland, Oregon
Barb E Offline
Pooh-Bah
Barb E  Offline
Pooh-Bah
Portland, Oregon
I have a new one thanks to Kaos

Rule is no leaving crate until I give the word and of course she pushes this often.

A little back ground on Kaos - when she's really excited or frustrated she wants something in her mouth.

So she started out of her crate before I released her, I pushed my hand toward her to block her way and at the same time she opened her mouth looking for something to put in it.
Well what happened is I jammed my thumb into her canine tooth which slid between the nail and nail bed. I'm hoping I don't have a permanent separation there (happened to a friend of mine after something was jammed under her fingernail) though I don't think I'm going to lose the nail since it's not all the way down.

It has at least today stopped throbbing
smile

Dante - March 8, 2004 - May 06, 2017
Kaos von Wolfstraum - Oct 31, 2011

My Blog: https://barbrambling.wordpress.com/
Re: Injuries as the result of your dog, share yours. [Re: Barb E] #298096
10/28/13 04:15 AM
10/28/13 04:15 AM
M
middleofnowhere Offline
Carpal Tunnel
middleofnowhere  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
Oh my. Ouch All I can say beyond that is I want to forward this thread to Dr. in Arkansas who was rather askance at my rather piddly list of animal related wrecks. All you all make me look unscathed.

Re: Injuries as the result of your dog, share yours. [Re: middleofnowhere] #298098
10/28/13 04:25 AM
10/28/13 04:25 AM
NE Ohio
Selzer Offline
Veteran
Selzer  Offline
Veteran
NE Ohio
Milla went into my bad knee today. Why do they target my bad knee? And her head is like a sledge hammer! Do they really have to have concrete skulls and then target this whimpy knee all the time?

My dogs will never hurt me with any form of human-aggression, but they may just kill me.

Last edited by Selzer; 10/28/13 04:26 AM.

Seniors: Babs, Heidi, Odessa
Mature Adults: Ninja, Joy, Bear, Hepzibah
Adults: Karma, Cujo II, Lassie
Young Adults: Quinn, Ramona
Puppies: Kojak, Tinuviel

Re: Injuries as the result of your dog, share yours. [Re: Barb E] #298133
10/28/13 02:21 PM
10/28/13 02:21 PM
MA
shepnterrier Offline
Pooh-Bah
shepnterrier  Offline
Pooh-Bah
MA
Originally Posted By: Barb E
I have a new one thanks to Kaos

Rule is no leaving crate until I give the word and of course she pushes this often.

A little back ground on Kaos - when she's really excited or frustrated she wants something in her mouth.

So she started out of her crate before I released her, I pushed my hand toward her to block her way and at the same time she opened her mouth looking for something to put in it.
Well what happened is I jammed my thumb into her canine tooth which slid between the nail and nail bed. I'm hoping I don't have a permanent separation there (happened to a friend of mine after something was jammed under her fingernail) though I don't think I'm going to lose the nail since it's not all the way down.

It has at least today stopped throbbing
smile

Oh my, Barb. I hope it doesn't get infected! Anything underneath the nail is high risk. If there is any pain left, please see a doc right away and get abx.

I had an infected nail bed as a teenager. The entire nail had to be removed under anesthesia. Then the infected nail bed had to be cleaned once a day. It was torture!!!!

Sarah
Chip vom Dog Pound, border terrior, Director of Rodent Control, CGC
Elly von Rescue, GSD, CGC, HI(C)
Captain Jack, Mama Blue, Little Orca, Bübchen, Tux, Cherub (pocket lions)

Re: Injuries as the result of your dog, share yours. [Re: shepnterrier] #298210
10/29/13 11:41 AM
10/29/13 11:41 AM
Portland, Oregon
Barb E Offline
Pooh-Bah
Barb E  Offline
Pooh-Bah
Portland, Oregon
Thanks Sarah for the warning, I'll keep an eye on it!

It is much better now!

Re: Injuries as the result of your dog, share yours. [Re: shepnterrier] #298211
10/29/13 11:44 AM
10/29/13 11:44 AM
Portland, Oregon
Barb E Offline
Pooh-Bah
Barb E  Offline
Pooh-Bah
Portland, Oregon
Originally Posted By: shepnterrier
Then the infected nail bed had to be cleaned once a day. It was torture!!!!

This deserved its own reply

shocked x 1,000,000!!

I had my entire right toenail removed and it was a....well way more painful than I had anticipated having had the sides of my toenails removed multiple times. I can't imagine if it had to be cleaned every day.... sick there isn't an appropriate pain emoticon dude but it does almost make me sick to my stomach to imagine

Re: Injuries as the result of your dog, share yours. [Re: Barb E] #298310
10/30/13 12:30 PM
10/30/13 12:30 PM
McAlester, OK
Kayos Offline

Can't Figure Tech Stuff Out
Kayos  Offline

Can't Figure Tech Stuff Out
McAlester, OK
Man I thought I had too many bumps and scrapes thank to the dogs. You guys got me beat by a mile!!!

Hope the nail is okay Barb.

Hope Codmaster does not have broken ribs.

Kathy

PTE,AC,URO3,AG2,UCD Xtra!Xtra! v. TeMar CDX,GN,RE,CGC,TC,HIC, Bh "Havoc" 6/4/07
PAM, URO3, UCD, UACH Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,RE,AX,AJP,OFP,P1J,CA,DN,HT,TKN,TC,CGCA 4/4/12

Lucky, Wolf, Max, Kayos - gone not forgotten. gsdhalo
Re: Injuries as the result of your dog, share yours. [Re: Kayos] #298374
10/31/13 04:06 AM
10/31/13 04:06 AM
NE Ohio
Selzer Offline
Veteran
Selzer  Offline
Veteran
NE Ohio
Somedays you should really just stay in bed.

Like today.

Ok, they are not ALL dog-related.

I had procrastinated for a while this morning, and finally when I went out, Tori who has been on Novox since Monday, isn't better and is now pooping hard poop with blood in it. Ick. So I decided (nice day) to put her outside in a kennel where she can rest on the wood shelter floor, instead of on the concrete in my room where I had her. So I moved them around so she could be back in her area, and went in to call the vet and ask how to proceed with the meds, and came back out and slipped and fell on the concrete. Both knees, one bloody, the other scraped, the bloody one has a lump on my leg, my left shoulder is hurting, and my right elbow scraped. The scraped knee is the bad knee and that is smarting worse than the bloody knee. Nice.

So after many explicatives, and managing to get up on my my knees and then onto my feet, I went about finishing the work. I let Jenna and Karma in the field while I did there kennel. Darn! I forgot to give them their food. Ah well, I put them back in, and I let Joy out in the field, and I noticed some hair tufting on her butt, so I called her over and I am pulling it out, and she swung her head around up under my arm and then went to look at my face. Only my chin was there looking at her butt, and her head exploded my lower jaw, crashing its teeth into my upper teeth, and giving my quite the head ache.

Lovely. For some reason my back is hurting too.

And so I drove to my sister's sat for an hour on 480 -- usually ten minutes, got the kids, and then one of the aunties wanted me to come to the grocery store with them for the other auntie's b-day stuff. So we went there. And then she wanted me to help pick up all kinds of stuff for some doing, and she managed to push a cart filled with 4 cases of water into my left heel.

Aaaaargh!!! I know she thinks I am the biggest baby, but my body feels like I fell out of an airplane right now. Ok, maybe more like when I totaled the car.

And it is going to be even more sore tomorrow.

I should have stayed in bed.

Re: Injuries as the result of your dog, share yours. [Re: Kayos] #298407
10/31/13 03:52 PM
10/31/13 03:52 PM
Portland, Oregon
Barb E Offline
Pooh-Bah
Barb E  Offline
Pooh-Bah
Portland, Oregon
Originally Posted By: Kayos

Hope the nail is okay Barb.

Thanks!

Nail is good, only hurts now if you press it quite hard, which of course I do every once in awhile to see how much it hurts rofl though it does appear at this point there may be a small tooth shaped area of separation, it will be interesting to see how (if) that grows out over time

Re: Injuries as the result of your dog, share yours. [Re: Barb E] #298546
11/01/13 04:21 PM
11/01/13 04:21 PM
MA
shepnterrier Offline
Pooh-Bah
shepnterrier  Offline
Pooh-Bah
MA
So glad your nail is ok, Barb! Phew.

My nail injury decades ago was at least not related to dogs, at least as far as I can remember. Back then and as kids/teenies we were likely more capable of bearing pain back then b/c we had to! Today, if a dentist would drill without numbing, I'd probably bite! But back then, that's what it was. Some things change for the better!

Poor Selzer, you sure took the hits yesterday!

Sarah

Re: Injuries as the result of your dog, share yours. [Re: shepnterrier] #298548
11/01/13 04:32 PM
11/01/13 04:32 PM
MA
shepnterrier Offline
Pooh-Bah
shepnterrier  Offline
Pooh-Bah
MA
Ah, you mentioned ribs? Last year I bruised mine twice when out with youngster Elly, once it was a trip to the ER.

First one I was running with leashed Elly in the woods, never fast enough for her and too fast for me, sigh. Wearing progressives I don't always see what is underfoot. I tripped over a root or rock and whamm! slammed without reflex on jagged rocks. It took what seemed like a long time before I was able to get up. I didn't go see a doc, they don't tape ribs anymore, and it didn't feel like I had soft tissue injuries. Just weeks of dull pain. ugh. Maybe Elly was the last large pup I raised...

Then in the early am, not my most alert time, Elly and I out on a soccer field. Another dog, a misunderstanding between Elly and me, and I slammed against the goal post. I knew, the ribs again.

Three days later I had to sneeze and that sent me to the ER. I couldn't breathe and the pain had me I don't know where. At the ER they x-rayed and gave me narcotics. The pharmacist recommended a rib belt in case I had to sneeze again. That thing took away most of the worry of another sneeze and knock out. I needed it. All good now. Pup is maturing, phew.

Oh, it's all better than sitting at home and letting life pass by smile

Sarah

Re: Injuries as the result of your dog, share yours. [Re: shepnterrier] #300079
11/20/13 05:19 AM
11/20/13 05:19 AM
PA
HowDidThisHappen Offline
HowDidThisHappen  Offline
PA
Been gone for a while and just saw this so thought I'd add:
At 11 months, Max got spooked while on a walk and turned to investigate the scary thing and his back end hit me in the back of the knee just as I started to take a step - ended up with a broken arm and major street cred with the pack of 5 year old munchkins we met on the way back home - my elbow had clipped a rock so it was bleeding and they were totally impressed that I was bleeding and not screaming for my mom. OK, yes, I was screaming for her in my head.

At 20 mo: My dad doesn't have a fenced yard so Max is on a zip line from one end of the yard to another since he wanders if not watched. Max is usually pretty good about the line if you go out to see him but one day he got a case of the zoomies while on the line and close-lined me when I was turning to see where he was. I went flying and landed flat on my back. I evidently hit hard since is shattered the plastic claw clip in my hair and knocked the wind out of me. I thought Max was upset about the fall but I landed on his ball and he couldn't get it.

Last spring (he's now 2 1//2), he met a real pretty and friendly greyhound. Max is a licker when he smells something new and interesting. SHE did NOT appreciate the fact he was getting too friendly and licking what she considered personal space and after a growl which he ignored, she snapped at him (perfectly acceptable IMO - NO means NO). Max jumped back with only a clipped ear and his elbow slammed into my shin. Words not permitted in a family setting did escape but no broken skin, just a HUGH bruise. I was at the tail end of my winter dose of aspirin so the bruise formed quickly. 2 weeks later, I was in the hospital with cellulitus getting massive quantities of antibiotics.

The consensus at work is that the dog is trying to kill me.

Deb

Max - GSD 10/5/10
Re: Injuries as the result of your dog, share yours. [Re: HowDidThisHappen] #300282
11/22/13 08:34 PM
11/22/13 08:34 PM
Hamilton, Oh
M
Michelle Offline
Michelle  Offline
M
Hamilton, Oh
Well lets see, Kitana has caused me to get bite when her and Raz the shepherd mix I had to get rid of attacked Casper the Husky mix my mom had. I got bite by him when my hand got too close to his mouth trying to get them off of him, he did not realize it was me that he bite, he just clamped on whatever was closest at the time. It swelled up and was black and blue for about a week or so, I told everybody that ask that I injuried it on the farm, did not want to tell them it was a dog bite.
Then she close-lined me once cause the neighbor threw her ball and I was in the way, lifted me right out of my slippers, luckly I landed back on my feet minus the shoes.
Other then that I am pretty lucky, my mom is the one that always gets hurt by the dogs, I am the one that gets hurt by the horses. I have been bucked, kicked, bite and stepped on several times when we was training them, now not so much which is good cause I do not bounce like I use to LOL.

Michelle

Cirus The German Shepherd
The cat pack (Mischief,Rascal and Dude)
Rip Sammi (My Baby) and Kitana (My Big Girl)
Re: Injuries as the result of your dog, share yours. [Re: Michelle] #328834
01/28/15 01:56 AM
01/28/15 01:56 AM
S
sistercoyote Offline
sistercoyote  Offline
S
This thread makes me so happy! My friends all thought I was a nut when I came to work all torn up.

This is the best one so far: I stuck out a hand to stop her from running into me during a recall. Fat lot of good that did me!

Re: Injuries as the result of your dog, share yours. [Re: sistercoyote] #328839
01/28/15 02:29 AM
01/28/15 02:29 AM
NE Ohio
Selzer Offline
Veteran
Selzer  Offline
Veteran
NE Ohio
Yesterday, I was bending over filling Heidi's dish and she suddenly raised her head smacking my lower jaw, giving me an instant headache, and hurting all my lower teeth. Bad girl! Actually, I should've been more careful, ya know, protect yourself at all times, constant vigilance!

German shepherd heads are like concrete blocks. My dogs will never hurt me on purpose, but they will kill me by accident.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
FDA warning grain free
by jlstudent1970. 08/14/18 12:52 AM
chit chat
by jlstudent1970. 08/13/18 11:51 PM
First heat-how to manage?
by Mary Jane. 08/13/18 02:53 PM
Babsy is 13.
by Selzer. 08/11/18 05:35 AM
desktop version?
by MaxaLisa. 08/09/18 05:50 AM
old pics of Max
by MaxaLisa. 08/08/18 01:24 AM
FDA Warning on Dog food
by Shilohsmom. 08/06/18 12:48 AM
August 2018 Monthly Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 08/02/18 09:43 PM
Comments for August 2018 Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 08/02/18 09:41 PM
Time to Vote July 2018 Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 07/29/18 03:09 PM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Irritations
by middleofnowhere. 08/10/18 06:51 AM
SamCat and a rainy day
by PositiveDog. 07/31/18 03:20 PM
Just popping back in :-)
by MaxaLisa. 07/23/18 02:56 AM
I think we can swear on this site...
by middleofnowhere. 07/17/18 08:36 PM
Changes at home
by Zisso. 06/24/18 05:55 PM
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Karin), 92 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CJGIBBONS, Mernie, alen, Deena, Sondrica17
2912 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums100
Topics20,498
Posts326,550
Members2,912
Most Online209
Jul 31st, 2018