09/23/13 08:52 AM
SE Wisconsin
FurKids Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
FurKids  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
SE Wisconsin
Tracerz scent locator stickers:

I found these things called Tracerz for scent locating. Object is to stick them all over your house to give her a path and warn her of potential hazards. I love the idea but these are definitely NOT cost-effective. The cheapest I found them are a 3pk for $18 and you have to replace them every 6mos or so. Not happening, I have a feeling her vet bills might be mind boggling so I'm not going to add to our costs for this. Looking for viable home-made alternatives.

I currently have several Glade plugin type things in a few outlets in the house. I usually use lavender in them. I was thinking I could use a lavender oil spritzed or rubbed on say fabric squares or something. But I don't need oil all over my house either.

I have 40 different Bachs Flowers drops that I haven't used in years but they still have a scent to them. I thought maybe I could use those but they are all different and I don't have any lavender. I can get more but not by 3am Tuesday morning cuz I'd have to order them. They don't seem oily.

I thought of dabbing these masking tape but you know what tape does after awhile frown Cotton balls aren't likely to stay put and then what do I stick them onto things with, ya know?

So -- your thoughts on a home-made version of Tracerz?

I have only this morn to prepare for her homecoming as I have to work half a midnight shift tonight -- taking off the last half as that's when she's due to BE HOME around 3am Tuesday morning. Hubby's driving straight through after he picks her up. I sleep 2nd shift so prep-time is running out.

I'm also thinking of getting three doggie vests embroidered for then to wear when we walk. These would be similar to service dog vests but the letters would be big enough to read from a distance:

Head of Security (Riley)
Diva Dog *or* Assistant Head of Security (Nissa)
I'm Blind but I See with my Heart (new girl)

All will say in smaller letters "Do not approach without permission."

New name possibilities - I just can't deal with Andily as a name, just can't. We will do everything possible we can to help her adjust but that name's just gotta go, LOL!

Annie
Hannah
Gracie
Liberty (Libby)
Freedom

I'm really having a hard time curbing my excitement now!

Deb • Nissa & Gracie
Forever in My Heart • Riley, Hannah, Damien, Katy, Crocket, Kayla, Gypsy, Toby and Cookie
Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? [Re: katieliz] #295172
09/23/13 09:06 AM
09/23/13 09:06 AM
SE Wisconsin
FurKids Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
FurKids  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
SE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: katieliz
i am always concerned about two bitches living together, likely since i have two who do not tolerate each other.

Believe me, I thought of this. Nissa is pretty darn laid back and prefers to stay away from other dogs - she's a bit afraid of them. She's met several, a little one tried to jump in her face once and she just moved away. Granted, this is HER home and that can make a big difference but I promise to be very careful. New girl will have to be crated when no one can supervise for her own safety. And the other two will be on the other side of a gate so they can't get near the crate.

I'm more concerned about walking 3 big dogs by myself especially since Mr. Head of Security has to do the macho thing when he sees another dog sometimes. Other times he's good but if a stray dog comes near or at us - I could have a real problem on my hands -- bad enough to control two dogs, but three? Now that's scary. I may have to not walk all 3 at once but I'm not fond of that idea either.

Deb • Nissa & Gracie
Forever in My Heart • Riley, Hannah, Damien, Katy, Crocket, Kayla, Gypsy, Toby and Cookie
Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? [Re: FurKids] #295176
09/23/13 11:30 AM
09/23/13 11:30 AM
Central Florida
arycrest Offline
Pooh-Bah
arycrest  Offline
Pooh-Bah
Central Florida
Originally Posted By: FurKids
DOGGLES: Which one would you recommend? I'm so tickled with this I can't tell you how much!

Doggles Eyewear
Kel was NOT totally blind so I bought him two pairs ... one for night use and one for daytime, that way I didn't have to change the lens all the time. For night time use I used the clear lens. For daytime I used the darkest ones they sold ... I don't see either of them on the website ... one was almost black, one was metallic silver.

FWIW ... this happened at least 5 or 6 years ago and if I recall, I called the Doggle company and spoke to their rep, explained Kel's vision problem and I bought what she recommended.

Wishing you my best!!

Last edited by arycrest; 09/23/13 11:32 AM.

Gayle
Faith, Ledgie & Scooby
My Bridge Kids: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? [Re: arycrest] #295185
09/23/13 01:06 PM
09/23/13 01:06 PM
Northern CA
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator
MaxaLisa  Offline

Global Moderator
Northern CA
I think it will be awhile before you are able to walk three together with all three being okay. Initially, your new girl needs to scope out the lay of the land without the additional stress of the other two around.

Popped in to say I'm thinking about you guys today - hope that all goes well! Be sure to check in, we will be impatient wink

MaxaL (aka LisaT)

Jazmine, mini-mix, 10/18/2011
Max-n-Indy
Max, 5/2001-2/2012, RIP my partner, my Regal Boy
Indy, 5/1997-10/2010, RIP my friend, my teacher

Health Index
K9 TBD info and Tick List Links
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/
Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? [Re: FurKids] #295186
09/23/13 01:11 PM
09/23/13 01:11 PM
Massachusetts
Braverhund Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Braverhund  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Massachusetts
I would not worry about creating a scent trail with homemade scent balls. Everything in your house already HAS a scent-- to her. Remember, the main traffic areas are heavily marked with family-walks-this-way scent. Like blind people, she'll just gradually form a mental bump 'n crash map when she first moves in. Or, she'll have enough residual vision left to avoid obstacles. She'll adapt to your home. thumbup

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, "Donnerpratzen"
Smokey The TeddyLion, DLH purrbuddy

Dir gehört mein Herz
Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? [Re: arycrest] #295187
09/23/13 01:16 PM
09/23/13 01:16 PM
SE Wisconsin
FurKids Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
FurKids  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
SE Wisconsin
Thanks, Gayle on all counts. I'm thinking of getting the "wrap around" pink ones to help protect her eyes from sharp things in the house, like the slide out tray to my keyboard. Moving the desk over is not an option and the keyboard slider is very near the walk through area and right at about eye level. I can slide it in but being human I might forget and sliding it in also changes things for her and we need to not do that.

I bought some Bounce fabric softener sheets, figure I can rub them on the furniture and whatnot and then I got some of those Command damage free hanging hooks that I can hang where I need them and just tuck a Bounce into it. Much cheaper than the other ways I was thinking of.

Deb • Nissa & Gracie
Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? [Re: MaxaLisa] #295188
09/23/13 01:18 PM
09/23/13 01:18 PM
SE Wisconsin
FurKids Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
FurKids  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
SE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: MaxaLisa
I think it will be awhile before you are able to walk three together with all three being okay. Initially, your new girl needs to scope out the lay of the land without the additional stress of the other two around.

Popped in to say I'm thinking about you guys today - hope that all goes well! Be sure to check in, we will be impatient wink

Awww, thanks Lisa, that's sweet. Joe just called, he's up, heading for breakfast and then Shelby. I should hear from him between 1-2p CST that he's got her.

Everything I do with 3 is going to depend on how well they get along -- or not so it's all up in the air until she's settled in.

Deb • Nissa & Gracie
Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? [Re: Braverhund] #295189
09/23/13 01:53 PM
09/23/13 01:53 PM
SE Wisconsin
FurKids Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
FurKids  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
SE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Braverhund
I would not worry about creating a scent trail with homemade scent balls. Everything in your house already HAS a scent-- to her. Remember, the main traffic areas are heavily marked with family-walks-this-way scent. Like blind people, she'll just gradually form a mental bump 'n crash map when she first moves in. Or, she'll have enough residual vision left to avoid obstacles. She'll adapt to your home. thumbup

I'm just trying to make the initial learning layout as easy as I can for her. I do have to come up with something for my keyboard slider, she could really hurt herself on that.

Deb • Nissa & Gracie
Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? [Re: arycrest] #295190
09/23/13 01:54 PM
09/23/13 01:54 PM
SE Wisconsin
FurKids Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
FurKids  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
SE Wisconsin
Quote:
FWIW ... this happened at least 5 or 6 years ago and if I recall, I called the Doggle company and spoke to their rep, explained Kel's vision problem and I bought what she recommended. Wishing you my best!!

I'm going to wait to see if she's totally blind or not before I order any. We plan to get her to the vet soon to see if her vision can be restored.

Deb • Nissa & Gracie
Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? [Re: FurKids] #295192
09/23/13 02:22 PM
09/23/13 02:22 PM
McAlester, OK
Kayos Offline

Can't Figure Tech Stuff Out
Kayos  Offline

Can't Figure Tech Stuff Out
McAlester, OK
Deb, I would not get too wrapped around the axle with the doggles. Eventually you might need a pair when she is outside but I don't think right away.

Just let her settle in for several days.

I would recommend with Riley - if you do decide to muzzle him, start ASAP training him to it. We did this with Havoc last year when he was going after the puppy. Turns out he dislikes puppies, once she was past 5 months he was fine with her.

two bitches in the house - may depend on age difference too. My girls get along fine but there is also 9 years between them and May was pup when Kay was an old adult already.

I would gate and crate until you have an idea of how it is going to go. Do be careful with giving sufficient time to Riley and Nissa.

Walking all dogs together - you are braver than me. I only do 2 MAX. I just rotate them around as Kayos is older she does not need to walk as much which is helpful. Initially I would walk new girl alone just short trips in the neighborhood. Then I would add the dog she seems to get along with best for her daily walking companion.

I am not blind and have no experience with blindness but we do not think about stepping off curbs and uneven ground, you might need to make sure you can step off curbs first so she can feel you do that through the leash.

Patti (Braverhund) has some visual issues and I bet she can give you lots of advice on this.

Kathy

PTE,AC,URO3,AG2,UCD Xtra!Xtra! v. TeMar CDX,GN,RE,CGC,TC,HIC, Bh "Havoc" 6/4/07
PAM, URO3, UCD, UACH Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,RE,AX,AJP,OFP,P1J,CA,DN,HT,TKN,TC,CGCA 4/4/12

Lucky, Wolf, Max, Kayos - gone not forgotten. gsdhalo
Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? [Re: Kayos] #295204
09/23/13 05:33 PM
09/23/13 05:33 PM
SE Wisconsin
FurKids Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
FurKids  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
SE Wisconsin
He's sitting just outside their fence. Says it's a chain link fence with razor stuff along the top. I'm betting that's to keep thieves out.

Deb • Nissa & Gracie
Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? [Re: FurKids] #295206
09/23/13 05:58 PM
09/23/13 05:58 PM
SE Wisconsin
FurKids Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
FurKids  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
SE Wisconsin
He's got her and they're on they're way home! He's crying, says she's extremely underweight. He took some boiled chix with him and gave her a small amount and she's looking for more but we don't want her on a fully tummy not knowing how she'll ride in the car and being so underweight we have to do this slowly. She came right up to him and nuzzled in smile

Now they are saying they have no info on her, she was left in a dump bin outside the building. That's scary - I hope she's good with other dogs like they said.

Her tummy is hanging way down and is hard, don't now what that's from. Over-breeding? Tumor? Her nails are way overly-long.

She's smaller than Riley he believes, even after we get some weight on her he thinks she'll be smaller than him.

She's completely blind but to Joe says it looks like cataracts.

We're putting off any meeting with the other two dogs right. I'll crate them and close the door. She can stay up with me and I will have her crate ready for her for when I have to switch dogs.

Going to call the vet to make an appt.

Deb • Nissa & Gracie
Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? [Re: FurKids] #295207
09/23/13 06:05 PM
09/23/13 06:05 PM
Massachusetts
Braverhund Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Braverhund  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Massachusetts
Basicly, as blind people are over-sensitive to strong scents, I can just imagine how overwhelming any strong scents would be for a blind dog. That's why I'm gently suggesting avoiding using any strong scents at all. It would be like shouting in her ear, all the time. And she has so much to accustom to in a new home. Bring her softly to places you want her to be aware of-- sharp objects, corners, and the like. Show her what she needs to be aware of in your home.

At one center I go to, blind toddlers tear madly around corners, screeching in delight, following their rapidfire whacking mini white canes. My way of saying: Blind doesn't mean low-energy, gentle, or easy! wink She may be mellow by nature, or she may be a spitfire. If she's a bouncy girl, maybe you could walk her by herself, or with Riley or Nissa at some point if they get along. Maybe with a coupler? You'll know what to try when the time comes, I bet.

I'm thrilled you will be taking her to the vet for visual exam. This is great! You may be able to help her eyesight. Or, to find out if she's actually got some good residual vision, which she may even keep, maybe!

Deb, you are being so thoughtful. I am so hoping this works out perfectly! She is one beautiful girl! wub I hope that she melds perfectly, seamlessly, and that your home is filled with harmony with her blended right in. hugging

Patti
Frauchen von:

Dir gehört mein Herz
Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? [Re: Braverhund] #295208
09/23/13 06:08 PM
09/23/13 06:08 PM
Massachusetts
Braverhund Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Braverhund  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Massachusetts
Yay! I'm pleased that he has her. The vet will give her a good exam, and you'll have more info. The very best of luck to you all! crossedfingers

Patti
Frauchen von:

Dir gehört mein Herz
Re: adopting a blind dog - intro & tips for her care? [Re: Braverhund] #295210
09/23/13 06:16 PM
09/23/13 06:16 PM
SE Wisconsin
FurKids Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
FurKids  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
SE Wisconsin
I hope this tummy thing is just something like worms and not something serious. I don't want her anywhere near my dogs until the vet has seen her and that is at 10:15 tomorrow morn smile

Can someone please tell me, do female dogs who've had puppies ever lose that "nursing look" I see them with? You know where everything hangs down and is loose and wiggly?

Ok, I did NOT put any scents out - none. The Bounce that I bought would be very strong. I'm listening, Patti! smile I like how you put the "like shouting in her hear" explanation - that makes perfect sense to me. Thank you for opening my eyes.

Deb • Nissa & Gracie
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
FDA warning grain free
by jlstudent1970. 08/14/18 12:52 AM
chit chat
by jlstudent1970. 08/13/18 11:51 PM
First heat-how to manage?
by Mary Jane. 08/13/18 02:53 PM
Babsy is 13.
by Selzer. 08/11/18 05:35 AM
desktop version?
by MaxaLisa. 08/09/18 05:50 AM
old pics of Max
by MaxaLisa. 08/08/18 01:24 AM
FDA Warning on Dog food
by Shilohsmom. 08/06/18 12:48 AM
August 2018 Monthly Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 08/02/18 09:43 PM
Comments for August 2018 Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 08/02/18 09:41 PM
Time to Vote July 2018 Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 07/29/18 03:09 PM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Irritations
by middleofnowhere. 08/10/18 06:51 AM
SamCat and a rainy day
by PositiveDog. 07/31/18 03:20 PM
Just popping back in :-)
by MaxaLisa. 07/23/18 02:56 AM
I think we can swear on this site...
by middleofnowhere. 07/17/18 08:36 PM
Changes at home
by Zisso. 06/24/18 05:55 PM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 84 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CJGIBBONS, Mernie, alen, Deena, Sondrica17
2912 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums100
Topics20,498
Posts326,549
Members2,912
Most Online209
Jul 31st, 2018