04/12/13 01:27 PM
04/12/13 01:27 PM
Alexandria, NH
Woodreb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Woodreb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Alexandria, NH
That's great and really good progress. Just like us, it's better if they shed the weight slowly. goodjob

Johanna

Ciara(aka Ciara Belle, Black Devil), Roisin (destroyer of toys)

RIP Caleb, Aodhán, Rica, Max, Kelly - gone but never forgotten - forever in my heart
Re: Freya issues...AGAIN! [Re: Woodreb] #280043
04/15/13 04:52 PM
04/15/13 04:52 PM
Outer Banks, NC
Hatterasser Offline OP
Addict
Hatterasser  Offline OP
Addict

Outer Banks, NC
Indeed, Johanna, so true. It gives her body time to adjust one pound at a time. I notice, in fact, that she's not chasing after every crumb now.

I could actually feel a rib under all that mass. I was wondering though..how much is she like a human? You know that when a human loses a lot of weight, there are bags of loose skin hanging around. Do dogs do the same thing? If so, I'm going to have to get a treadmill for her. LOL I can't exercise her too much as her back end is still weak. *sighs*

Diane...Freya's mom
If I weren't so damn healthy, I'd be sick...and I'm NOT sick.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear.
I Aear cân ven na mar
Re: Freya issues...AGAIN! [Re: Hatterasser] #280049
04/15/13 05:06 PM
04/15/13 05:06 PM
Alexandria, NH
Woodreb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Woodreb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Alexandria, NH
I don't know. When I got Aodhán from 95 pounds down to 75 pounds, I don't remember her having a lot of loose skin. She was younger - I think 5 or 6 and reasonably active at the time. We were still doing a lot of hiking almost every weekend with her and RIca.

Johanna

RIP Caleb, Aodhán, Rica, Max, Kelly - gone but never forgotten - forever in my heart
Re: Freya issues...AGAIN! [Re: Woodreb] #283210
05/23/13 02:09 AM
05/23/13 02:09 AM
Outer Banks, NC
Hatterasser Offline OP
Addict
Hatterasser  Offline OP
Addict

Outer Banks, NC
Dear Freya went to the vet today. She hasn't lost much more weight (a pound and a half in the past month so down to 104 and a half) BUT she's 'looking' sleeker. I gave her a bath this morning (she was in need due to running off to to swim in the marsh two or three times and stunk to high heaven) and I could feel her ribs...really. She actually has a waist line.

Got her nails clipped and a check-up by the vet. She's still having difficulty climbing steps. Told vet what she's taking and was told none of this is enough or correct. I've been advised that she should take:
Ibuprofen
Previcid (sp) to ease the wear of the NSAID on her tummy
Tramadol

Sheesh. It's a good thing I have extra tramadols in my prescription..I can share mine with her, at least until we see if they work at all. I'm not taking the NSAIDs now, not with all the steroids in my body, so those I can share easily. As for the heartburn reliever, have to buy more of those (I have some for my own heartburn).No more glucosamine/chondroitin, no more baby aspirin, no more cosequin. ?? Ah well. We'll try and see what happens. But it's getting to the point that she will soon have as many meds as I do.

She's been without her thyroid meds for 3 days though, not good. Started again tonight with the new order (that should have been mailed to me last week and wasn't). Dumped the tramadol, thyroid, etc. into her dinner...she apparently didn't like it. Picked at her dinner by bits and pieces but finally got thru it. May just have had a long tense day riding around in the car with me on errands after vet visit. Once again, we'll have to wait and see.

But for now, she's looking loverly (though she's about to blow her coat), smells good, happy in all ways. And she's losing weight even if slowly. I will have to readjust her caloric intake because I ran out of her diet food and have new stuff to add to the equation but just a matter of recalculating. Now let's hope the new line up of meds work too. I may have a new 8 year old girl on my hands.

Diane...Freya's mom
I Aear cân ven na mar
Re: Freya issues...AGAIN! [Re: Hatterasser] #283219
05/23/13 05:17 AM
05/23/13 05:17 AM
Northern CA
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator
MaxaLisa  Offline

Global Moderator

Northern CA
This vet said no more joint supplements?

This vet also said to give her ibuprofen???

If this is true, I would completely disregard this advice. Ibuprofen has a very small margin of safety in dogs and in general I not advised due to possible severe (and fatal) consequences. I would never in my life give it to my dogs (and of coure never to cats, where it is even more toxic).

MaxaL (aka LisaT)

Jazmine, mini-mix, 10/18/2011
Max-n-Indy
Max, 5/2001-2/2012, RIP my partner, my Regal Boy
Indy, 5/1997-10/2010, RIP my friend, my teacher

Health Index
K9 TBD info and Tick List Links
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/
Re: Freya issues...AGAIN! [Re: MaxaLisa] #283229
05/23/13 05:57 AM
05/23/13 05:57 AM
Central Florida
arycrest Offline
Pooh-Bah
arycrest  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Central Florida
Yeah, unless somethings changed, I agree it's kind of surprising a vet would recommend ibuprofen. This is what a WebMD article about pain meds for dogs said: "Naproxen and ibuprofen (Motrin) are powerful analgesics, but both have a high incidence of gastrointestinal side effects. This makes them unsuitable for long-term administration. Ibuprofen, in particular, is not recommended for dogs."
LINK TO: WEBMD article PAIN MEDICATIONS FOR DOGS

Diane, what did he say as to why you shouldn't continue to use joint supplements?

Last edited by arycrest; 05/23/13 05:58 AM.

Gayle
Faith, Ledgie & Scooby
My Bridge Kids: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
Re: Freya issues...AGAIN! [Re: arycrest] #283230
05/23/13 06:59 AM
05/23/13 06:59 AM
Queensland. Australia
bianca Offline
Carpal Tunnel
bianca  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Queensland. Australia
No advice but so pleased she has a waist! Good girl fluffy, sweet smelling Freya wub

Molly Moo (aka The Piranha, 4 legged mouth) GSD (31/10/09)
Cooper GSD (The Gremlin) 19/10/11
Texas - Tabby cat (Feb 1996-2013) Run free sweet Teppie
Paris - Tabby cat (Feb 1996-2013) Run free my beautiful girl.
Re: Freya issues...AGAIN! [Re: bianca] #283276
05/23/13 04:54 PM
05/23/13 04:54 PM
Northern CA
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator
MaxaLisa  Offline

Global Moderator

Northern CA
Considering possible individual variation, you would have to severely underdose to be safe with the ubiprofen. Here it says a popular doe given is 5mg/kg, and they can start having gastric bleeds (which you won't see externally) and stomach inflammation at just 8 mg/kg.

I suspect your vet was trying to save you money.

http://www.aspcapro.org/mydocuments/download.php?f=t-toxbrief_0704.pdf
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=3342

MaxaL (aka LisaT)

Max-n-Indy

Health Index
Re: Freya issues...AGAIN! [Re: MaxaLisa] #283297
05/23/13 07:18 PM
05/23/13 07:18 PM
Los Lunas, NM
Kayos Offline

Can't Figure Tech Stuff Out
Kayos  Offline

Can't Figure Tech Stuff Out

Los Lunas, NM
I agree Lisa, NSAIDs for dogs are pricey. Ibuprofen is cheap. It can be given to dogs, very carefully. Give with food.

I would be very careful with Ibuprofen but if it is all you have, then that is what you give.

I am glad Freya is looking better and I hope she continues to stay okay.

Kathy

PAM, URO3, UCD, UACH Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,RE,AX,AJP,OFP,P1J,CA,DJ,HT,TKN,TC,CGCU, RATN 4/4/12
Jeli, (Pembroke Welsh corgi) CGC, RATI 5/13/19

Lucky, Wolf, Max, Kayos, Havoc - gone not forgotten. gsdhalo
Re: Freya issues...AGAIN! [Re: Kayos] #283530
05/25/13 04:28 PM
05/25/13 04:28 PM
Outer Banks, NC
Hatterasser Offline OP
Addict
Hatterasser  Offline OP
Addict

Outer Banks, NC
I usually listen to my vets (a husband and wife pair) but of late there has been some internal ... hmmmm ... conflicts between the pair. I get opposing info from each now, almost as though they are in competition to offer the 'best' suggestions. Then there are the slips in follow-ups, such as having the records show that they had pulled the thyroid meds last week and even marked it as 'mailed' and yet it WASN'T, so that Freya went for three days without. Had to wait until this past mid-week to actually pick them up physically. tsk tsk

Much as I have loved them, I have been checking on a new office that has opened right here on the island (less than 10 miles away rather than an hour and a half's drive). They are much more expensive and not sure how flexible they are on payments over time but plan to have a sit down with the local vet here and talk it through.

Meantime, I'm following my own common sense and advice offered here on this site. Right now, I like the tramadol idea (God knows it helps me to keep the base line pain at a minimum and tolerable). I also like the glucosamine/chondroitin additions. I know (having watched reactions) that they have helped some and combined with the tramadol will help even more, I'm sure. I was giving Freya a low dose aspirin daily for a couple of weeks but was never comfortable (being a bleeder myself, I'm wary of anything to do with blood thinners or irritational meds). I certainly do NOT want to add an NSAID of any kind, no matter how small a dose even with a Pepcid type buffer. Even I don't take them more than once a week if I can avoid it. They help with pain, I know that, but they are to dangerous for me, so why put that on her, too. She can do without that. (By they way, all the steroids in my bod makes the pain almost non-existent in me....gotta love at least that side affect. *smiles*)

So, I've decided for now that I will give Freya 2 tramadol 2 x a day, glucosamine/chodroitin, omega 3 capsule and her thyroid meds daily. Already, she seems much more comfortable and is climbing stairs with a tad more ease. I appreciate all the input you gals have offered. I'm trying so hard to keep her as healthy as I can with as few meds as possible. I hate meds myself and don't want to give her any more than necessary.

We checked her (approximate) age records and holy cow, she's 8 plus years old already. LOL Had no idea time had passed so quickly. This weekend is her probable birth date time so I'm using Memorial day weekend as her birthday. Happy Birthday, my almost down to a 100 lbs. from 120 lb. girl Freya!

Diane...Freya's mom
I Aear cân ven na mar
Re: Freya issues...AGAIN! [Re: Hatterasser] #283532
05/25/13 04:46 PM
05/25/13 04:46 PM
Alexandria, NH
Woodreb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Woodreb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Alexandria, NH
wow From 120 pounds to 104 pounds is about a 14% loss of body weight. goodjob

That's pretty darn good for her. I know it can take awhile to get them to a healthy weight.

I think I mentioned before that at one time Aodhán was 95 pounds and should have been more like 75. It took me at least a year to get the weight off her.

Johanna

Re: Freya issues...AGAIN! [Re: Woodreb] #283646
05/26/13 04:03 PM
05/26/13 04:03 PM
Outer Banks, NC
Hatterasser Offline OP
Addict
Hatterasser  Offline OP
Addict

Outer Banks, NC
She ALMOST ran up the stairs this morning. Holy halleluia! I like what her regimen is doing for her. Have to get her own tramadol though, can't have her eating up all of mine. *laughing*

She's actually beginning to look pretty good too, though her coat is definitely about to go. Beginning to come off in clumps now. Have to take a pic or two soon. Wonder if I should wait until she's blown her coat and is looking sleek again. LOL

Diane...Freya's mom
I Aear cân ven na mar
Re: Freya issues...AGAIN! [Re: Hatterasser] #283655
05/26/13 07:52 PM
05/26/13 07:52 PM
Northern CA
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator
MaxaLisa  Offline

Global Moderator

Northern CA
It sounds like you have a really good plan in place.

In the end, when Max was on a super low dose of pred for his low cortisol (2.5 mg for an 80 pound dog either daily or every other day, can't remember), it really helped with his back pain, so I'm glad that at least you are seeing that benefit for you from the steroids!

Glad that she is doing so well in the weight loss category and also moving better! thumbup

MaxaL (aka LisaT)

Max-n-Indy

Health Index
Re: Freya issues...AGAIN! [Re: Hatterasser] #283740
05/27/13 05:37 PM
05/27/13 05:37 PM
Central Florida
arycrest Offline
Pooh-Bah
arycrest  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Central Florida
Originally Posted By: Hatterasser
She ALMOST ran up the stairs this morning. Holy halleluia! I like what her regimen is doing for her. Have to get her own tramadol though, can't have her eating up all of mine. *laughing*

She's actually beginning to look pretty good too, though her coat is definitely about to go. Beginning to come off in clumps now. Have to take a pic or two soon. Wonder if I should wait until she's blown her coat and is looking sleek again. LOL
wow I'm glad to hear she's doing so well!!! FWIW I buy the big bottles of 500 50mg tramadol pills from my vet for Slider ... it's a lot cheaper than buying it in small amounts.

Gayle
Faith, Ledgie & Scooby
My Bridge Kids: Andy, Abbey, Tasha, Tex, Echo, Yukon, JR, Too, Niki, Bo, Ringer, Kelly, Honey, Mac, Slider & Bruiser
Re: Freya issues...AGAIN! [Re: arycrest] #284418
06/02/13 06:13 PM
06/02/13 06:13 PM
Outer Banks, NC
Hatterasser Offline OP
Addict
Hatterasser  Offline OP
Addict

Outer Banks, NC
Okay....spoke to the new vet here on the island. The local vet working here (annex of clinic from up the beach) is a gal I've known since she was born 30 years ago. *smiles* Anyway, she spoke to the head guy. Basic stuff (shots, nail clips, etc.) will be charged and paid for at time of visit. But anything serious that runs up a bill of a few hundred, he's willing to be flexible about payment schedule. And he's also willing to give me a 10% discount on everything. I think I'm going to give them a chance. My balance to my other two vets is paid off so I can move along. Nice not to have to drive more than 15 minutes. We'll see how it works.

She definitely has ribs. I'm so happy. But she has a spot on her side that looks like some kind of infection. Dang those marshes. Full of yucky water. Drowned in apple cider vinegar then covered with calendula (after bathing the area AGAIN...three baths in the last 3 weeks...naughty girl keeps getting loose and that's the first place she heads...into the marsh). Already clearing up, thank heavens.

Have I mentioned lately that I love this silly dog? Gonna sign her up at the library for the kids' reading sessions. I bring her in, we sit down, kids and I read to each other and dog just sits and listens...and calms the youngsters. She's a perfect dog for such purpose and it will give her something to do that won't be too hard and taxing on me right now.

She's getting positively feisty of late. Haven't seen her grinning so much in ages and bouncing around like a young pup. Still has a back end problem climbing stairs but not anywhere near as it is was. The weight loss is definitely helping my girl.

Diane...Freya's mom
I Aear cân ven na mar
Re: Freya issues...AGAIN! [Re: Hatterasser] #284420
06/02/13 06:52 PM
06/02/13 06:52 PM
Alexandria, NH
Woodreb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Woodreb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Alexandria, NH
thumbup Good to hear that she's doing so much better!

Johanna

Re: Freya issues...AGAIN! [Re: Woodreb] #284469
06/03/13 05:00 PM
06/03/13 05:00 PM
Northern CA
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator
MaxaLisa  Offline

Global Moderator

Northern CA
Congratulations on the new vet, I hope that you like the care there - would be great if it all works out!

Those marshes sound nasty, but glad your remedy works, will have to remember that.

REALLY NEAT about the reading program!! And o great that he is happy - that is huge groovy

MaxaL (aka LisaT)

Max-n-Indy

Health Index
Re: Freya issues...AGAIN! [Re: MaxaLisa] #284471
06/03/13 05:19 PM
06/03/13 05:19 PM
TimberWolf Offline
Old Hand
TimberWolf  Offline
Old Hand

So good to hear you have found a Vet that is not only closer to you but also willing to be flexible as far as payments, etc. Getting a percentage off of the bill....sounds like a winner to me smile

Your sharing about Freya bouncing around and being happy brought a smile to my face. She obviously has suffered along with you, seeing you suffer. So, her bouncing around ...even though she choses to bounce in the wrong area LOL....is a great sign to me.

...in remembrance of all Timber Wolves unjustifyably hunted down and killed for no valid reason at all.
Re: Freya issues...AGAIN! [Re: TimberWolf] #284703
06/05/13 03:08 PM
06/05/13 03:08 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Natalie559 Offline
Veteran
Natalie559  Offline
Veteran

Tallahassee, FL
Love the reading idea- what a nice way to spend time together- plus she feels perky, love that!

Natalie

enjoying life with Penny 6/04 & Blaze 11/12
while Sasha 1/05-11/12 watches over us

Swing Sets By Design
Read Allen Carr's The Easy Way to Quit Smoking
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Victor Dog food RECALL
by Shilohsmom. 09/06/23 02:54 PM
Granddog at the Bridge
by SeanRescueMom. 09/03/23 01:56 PM
A Nice Long Day
by Woodreb. 08/27/23 04:06 PM
Conjunctivitis
by Zisso. 07/14/23 05:28 PM
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Shanah tovah
by jarn. 09/15/23 06:31 PM
General sorrow
by middleofnowhere. 09/12/23 12:24 AM
Calm in the face of calmity (SKUNK)
by jarn. 09/05/23 12:49 AM
My dear friend
by Shilohsmom. 09/01/23 01:58 AM
Middle
by Shilohsmom. 08/31/23 12:19 AM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 32 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Members
GSDman, GSDluvah, Bonwno, Mongoski, Lawz67
3048 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics18,846
Posts294,306
Members3,048
Most Online991
Jan 15th, 2020