01/11/12 05:34 PM
01/11/12 05:34 PM
Fairfield, Ca.
Schnickle Fritz Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Schnickle Fritz  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Fairfield, Ca.
sorry, but that is a silly reason not to TRAIN your dog. i agree, ears not erect on a purebred is hard to explain to others, but i think you are seeing the reprecussions of not doing formal training.

Have a great day!!!
NLS

Fritz vom Banach TR1 TT RN RA BN NW1 BH 10/10/09
Cuvee' d' la Maze ORT-BCA BH 01/14/11
Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: Schnickle Fritz] #205020
01/11/12 05:41 PM
01/11/12 05:41 PM
jeasy02 Offline OP
jeasy02  Offline OP
Originally Posted By: Schnickle Fritz
sorry, but that is a silly reason not to TRAIN your dog. i agree, ears not erect on a purebred is hard to explain to others, but i think you are seeing the reprecussions of not doing formal training.

Oh absolutely I definitely agree it is a silly reason not to train. It was not just the ears, but the ears played a big part. Because I felt as though I don't have a true GSD and he doesn't look a certain way and this and that. So while all of that was in my head I was just unmotivated to do any formal training. But again I am seeing a different light now especially since I want to get a new puppy and I am seeing the reprocussions. Overall he is a good dog and he listens but you can definitley tell he needs that formal training.

Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: jeasy02] #205021
01/11/12 05:53 PM
01/11/12 05:53 PM
Portland, Oregon
Barb E Offline
Pooh-Bah
Barb E  Offline
Pooh-Bah
Portland, Oregon
And I'm going to throw this out for you to think about - what if down the road it is the right time to add a second dog to your family and that dog's ears don't stand either?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I think it really important that you realize that there are no guarantees that and pups ears will stand.

Dante - March 8, 2004 - May 06, 2017
Kaos von Wolfstraum - Oct 31, 2011

My Blog: https://barbrambling.wordpress.com/
Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: Barb E] #205024
01/11/12 05:57 PM
01/11/12 05:57 PM
jeasy02 Offline OP
jeasy02  Offline OP
Originally Posted By: Barb E
And I'm going to throw this out for you to think about - what if down the road it is the right time to add a second dog to your family and that dog's ears don't stand either?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I think it really important that you realize that there are no guarantees that and pups ears will stand.

That is true and we thought about that. There is no guarantee as you state that the ears will go up. But the only guarantee that we will have is if the ears are already up by the time we pick up the puppy. It may not be until 3 or 4 months but if they are up then we will know for sure. If we pick up the puppy around 8 weeks or 12 and either one is up or if they are both half way up, while it is still no guarantee it is a good chance at that point they will go up. Again no guarantee unless I see both ears already erect by the time I pick him/her up.

Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: jeasy02] #205026
01/11/12 06:10 PM
01/11/12 06:10 PM
Portland, Oregon
Barb E Offline
Pooh-Bah
Barb E  Offline
Pooh-Bah
Portland, Oregon
So you give the breeder a deposit of hundreds of dollars and then go to pick up the pup and the ears are down, you're going to just walk away and leave those hundreds of dollars behind?

Dante - March 8, 2004 - May 06, 2017
Kaos von Wolfstraum - Oct 31, 2011

My Blog: https://barbrambling.wordpress.com/
Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: Barb E] #205030
01/11/12 06:29 PM
01/11/12 06:29 PM
jeasy02 Offline OP
jeasy02  Offline OP
Originally Posted By: Barb E
So you give the breeder a deposit of hundreds of dollars and then go to pick up the pup and the ears are down, you're going to just walk away and leave those hundreds of dollars behind?

I am not sure what I would do in that situation. Of course it is a risk either way because yes I would be giving a deposit. I did speak with one breeder and she said that you can transfer deposits from one litter to a later litter if I wanted to. But I do see what you are saying and again it is a risk. But IF for some reason I am not able to get my deposit back, and the pup I want does not have his ears up, I would rather lose the money and start at another litter. Is that the right thing to do? In my personal honest opinion, especially already having gone through what I have gone through emotionally, yes it is. now that may not be right for you or for anyone else, but for me, I would rather wait until I see for sure rather than going through the hopes and chances and dreams that it will go up. It was a bad feeling and a rough time and I personally would not want to have two dogs with both ears down. For people who have not owned GSD's with their ears not up, it's easier for them to say "Just love your dog for who they are" and so forth. People who have owned GSD's with their ears down, they can relate, not saying you personally, but it's just tough.

Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: Barb E] #205031
01/11/12 06:30 PM
01/11/12 06:30 PM
Colorado
Kris Offline
Pooh-Bah
Kris  Offline
Pooh-Bah
Colorado
Oh my gosh - really? Not being antagonistic, but I just don't get the ear thing. That is really all in your head!! wink Your boy is a GSD no matter the state of his ears and not taking him to training - you're just doing him an injustice. Sure glad my husband of many, many years doesn't refuse to take me somewhere because I no longer look the way I did when we got married! rofl

One of my favorite dogs on this forum is Bianca's Molly - and it's because her ears are soft. My first GSD developed a hematoma in his ear and it had to be drained. His ear never looked right again - he had "cauliflower" ear. If possible, I actually loved him more because of that. He had his own look! I dealt with virtually the same problem. People knew he was a GSD, but I always had to answer the question of what was wrong with his ear, but that really didn't bother me in the least.

I hope you can get past your hangup with the ears....for Bruschi's sake... You should be proud of him, not ashamed or embarrassed of him because of something cosmetic.

Kris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samson, GSD, 10/13/07
Annabel, Keeshond, 4/21/11
Petie, Toy Poodle, 5/5/07
Kitties: Meezer, Bob, Mia and Dewey
Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: Barb E] #205033
01/11/12 06:37 PM
01/11/12 06:37 PM
Fairfield, Ca.
Schnickle Fritz Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Schnickle Fritz  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Fairfield, Ca.
look ... i cant get past "I felt as though I don't have a true GSD" so i didnt feel like training...umm many people train dogs that are not GSDs. you do not need a new dog, you definately do NOT need another GSD. i have read all your past posts. as i hope others have, too, so they know exactly what you have done, have not done, said you would do with Bruschi and dont go repeating themselves with thier advice to you. there has been very good advice given here and previously. you have people who are truely concerned with your predicement. i hope something clicks this visit and you will be able take away something to help you.

Have a great day!!!
NLS

Fritz vom Banach TR1 TT RN RA BN NW1 BH 10/10/09
Cuvee' d' la Maze ORT-BCA BH 01/14/11
Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: Kris] #205037
01/11/12 06:48 PM
01/11/12 06:48 PM
jeasy02 Offline OP
jeasy02  Offline OP
Originally Posted By: Kris
Oh my gosh - really? Not being antagonistic, but I just don't get the ear thing. That is really all in your head!! wink Your boy is a GSD no matter the state of his ears and not taking him to training - you're just doing him an injustice. Sure glad my husband of many, many years doesn't refuse to take me somewhere because I no longer look the way I did when we got married! rofl

One of my favorite dogs on this forum is Bianca's Molly - and it's because her ears are soft. My first GSD developed a hematoma in his ear and it had to be drained. His ear never looked right again - he had "cauliflower" ear. If possible, I actually loved him more because of that. He had his own look! I dealt with virtually the same problem. People knew he was a GSD, but I always had to answer the question of what was wrong with his ear, but that really didn't bother me in the least.

I hope you can get past your hangup with the ears....for Bruschi's sake... You should be proud of him, not ashamed or embarrassed of him because of something cosmetic.

It was in my head. Now I don't think about it as much. Sometimes I may make comments to the affect of "I wish his ears were up." In the beginning I was trying so hard to get them up, from tape, to glue, to thinking of getting them surgically done to be erect. But now I do love him for who he is, but always still have the thought of "I hope his ears go up one day." If I had a GSD before Bruschi maybe I would not have felt the way I did. But since this is my first dog, and a GSD, and every GSD that I have ever seen had erect ears, I expected the same.

I am definitely not ashamed or embarrassed of him in any way. It was my own fault for not getting him into the training because of that, or at least being part of the reason. I am much better than I was before, trust me.

And I am sure you still look beautiful as the day you got married - your husband is a lucky man smile

Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: Schnickle Fritz] #205039
01/11/12 07:00 PM
01/11/12 07:00 PM
jeasy02 Offline OP
jeasy02  Offline OP
Originally Posted By: Schnickle Fritz
look ... i cant get past "I felt as though I don't have a true GSD" so i didnt feel like training...umm many people train dogs that are not GSDs. you do not need a new dog, you definately do NOT need another GSD. i have read all your past posts. as i hope others have, too, so they know exactly what you have done, have not done, said you would do with Bruschi and dont go repeating themselves with thier advice to you. there has been very good advice given here and previously. you have people who are truely concerned with your predicement. i hope something clicks this visit and you will be able take away something to help you.

Well let me say this - everyone has given me their own opinion on what they would do and what not to do and what I should do and what I should not do. Some people have said having two dogs is the best thing in the world some people say it isn't. I have received many PM's and basically said the same thing in the post. I could get another puppy tomorrow and the next thing you know my current dog may all of a sudden be a totally different dog in a good way. I could wait until another year or two or even three and I have taken everyone's advice on ensuring he is fully trained, obedient, making sure all of the house rules are in tact, he is not jumping and such, and bring in a new puppy and it be a total disaster. bruschi not get along with him and then it be a nightmare, but he got along with other puppies.

I guess what I am trying to say is I do not know what will happen unless it actually happens and I get another one. But one thing I will say is I do agree fully that he should be at least formally disciplines before I bring another puppy in the house. I may bring him to the classes for the next 2 or 3 months and he may be a totally different dog, fully obedient, on command every single time. Or it could take another year or two.

Just like in the gym - I am an avid bodybuilder/powerlifter and people come up to me all of the time asking for advice for various things (how to get big, how to increase their bench press, etc). And when I was younger I would give them all sorts of advice and months later they would come back and tell me it did not work for them. Now when someone ask the same question I tell them what worked for me may not work for them. And for all of these years of weight-lifting it's all about trial and error. So in the case of my current situation in the end I can receive all of the advice in the world but it's all about trial and error. Again not saying that I will not take advice because that would be a naive thing to do. But the point would be in the end it is all about trial and error.

Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: jeasy02] #205040
01/11/12 07:21 PM
01/11/12 07:21 PM
Minnesota, USA
Vinnie Offline

The Italian One
Vinnie  Offline

The Italian One
Minnesota, USA
I'm at work right now so I don't have time to address this heavily so I'll just leave you with a picture (1000 words) of one of the best purebred GSDs to ever walk into my life.

PICT0093 by BlackDogsPhoto, on Flickr

He went to formal obedience training classes beginning at 12 weeks of age, has been trained in tracking and also passed his CGC test. He is the 2nd dog from the left in the banner above (top row).

We are going on 12 years together. He loves me unconditionally. He doesn't care what I look like or if I took a shower today.

I couldn't be more blessed or honored to call him MY dog! I am VERY proud of him.

Home of;
Sundance (Ezio zu Treuen Händen, ADC, BH, HIC)
Butch (Dario von der Staatsmacht, APr3, NW1, L1V, HIC, ORT-AC)
& Wyatt the cat

R.I.P. Dalton - Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal.

The Black Dog's Photographer
Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: Vinnie] #205041
01/11/12 07:26 PM
01/11/12 07:26 PM
jeasy02 Offline OP
jeasy02  Offline OP
Originally Posted By: Vinnie
I'm at work right now so I don't have time to address this heavily so I'll just leave you with a picture (1000 words) of one of the best purebred GSDs to ever walk into my life.

PICT0093 by BlackDogsPhoto, on Flickr

He went to formal obedience training classes beginning at 12 weeks of age, has been trained in tracking and also passed his CGC test. He is the 2nd dog from the left in the banner above (top row).

We are going on 12 years together. He loves me unconditionally. He doesn't care what I look like or if I took a shower today.

And you have a great looking dog - very beautiful and I understand what you mean

Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: jeasy02] #205057
01/11/12 09:37 PM
01/11/12 09:37 PM
Buffalo
BowWowMeow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
BowWowMeow  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Buffalo
Below is a picture of my Massie. She was my first dog and started my passion for gsds and for rescuing. She really was amazing and I loved her ears because they made her unique. She was a TON of work (very smart) but so worth it.

Given your current dog's issues, I would seriously consider adopting a very stable 4-5 year old. That will help your current dog and also be easier to transition into your household.

Ruth

Rafi, the german malaroo, age 9.5ish
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238

Varda & Gio (the crazy cattens)
Warming my heart:
Queen Cleopatra
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: jeasy02] #205155
01/12/12 12:49 PM
01/12/12 12:49 PM
Tennessee
DarkEyes Offline
Enthusiast
DarkEyes  Offline
Enthusiast
Tennessee
Hi there! I have a few suggestions if your head has room fore more. There seems to be a lot discussed in here already! confused2

First of all, I understand the floppy ears thing. This is not a feature often seen in German Shepherds and those who don't know are going to ask you about your dog's breeding.
Your dog's ears have a weakness in ear cartilage, so it's not going to erect. I have heard of ways to help erect the ears at a certain age, but there's a very small gap of time to do this and has to be done during the puppy stages and it doesnt' always work (according to research I've done a long time ago). This might be a genetic thing, and sometimes it may be caused by a missing gene that causes the ears to be soft instead of erect.

If you want that perfect, noble image of a German Shepherd, you're never going to get it. You'll be so focused on perfection that you'll really miss out on the potential your current dog has to give you.

Now, onto the behavior and training!
Fear! Every one of us have a dog that deals with fear. They may choose to be aggresive toward it or choose to coward from it. I only know how to deal with agression from fear, not hiding, so I can't really help you there. Do your research, there are so many resources all over the internet about dealing with hiding from fear.

What I can say about fear is it can be minimized with training. When you have complete control over a dog, that dog will be more focused on you than anything else. He will listen to you, waiting for your next command. So training is quite essential to the management of fear. You don't have to send your dog off for formal training, but if you're not willing to put in the time for the training, then it's ok to send him to training. The reason I said this is because I put in a lot of time training my high energy hyper dog. My main reason for the training was to keep her from being aggressive toward anyone that steps foot into our property. I now have complete control over my dog and I don't even need a leash! People always ask me where I sent her for training, very impressed with her obedience, and I always say with shining pride "She was not trained by a trainer, I trained her and it was a lot of work".

About separation anxiety, do you think your dog has it? If so, why?
Dogs are always going to go nuts when we first get home. In fact, they'll go nuts after not seeing us for 5 minutes! That's the great thing about dogs, they live in the present and don't care what happened 5 minutes ago. Some dogs can be surrounded by toys all day and not really do anything until their owners are home, so they'll have all this energy saved up and ready to go when their owners get home. You can control the dog's hyperness by making him sit and stay. When he stops looking like he's going to burst out of his bubble and you can see him relaxing, then reward him by releasing him from the stay command and give him praise. As soon as he goes nuts and jumps all over the place, correct him by making him lay down and stay until he is relaxed. He will learn he can't jump all over the place anymore. He'll be hyper until you give him a toy to occupy himself with until you take him for his exercise.

I'm here for you as one first GS owner supporting another first GS owner. gsdbeggin My current GS is my first dog too, and she was a lot of work to understand and now she's a wonderful dog! She's almost 4 and her energy levels are still high!

Abbey: 10 years old German Shepherd
Suki: 10 years old Calico kitty
Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: DarkEyes] #205171
01/12/12 02:27 PM
01/12/12 02:27 PM
McAlester, OK
Kayos Offline

Can't Figure Tech Stuff Out
Kayos  Offline

Can't Figure Tech Stuff Out
McAlester, OK
Nice post Dark Eyes!! Well written and helpful to the OP.

We all do have the image of the perfect GSD in our heads and if that expectation is not met it can be disappointing but we do have to move beyond that or we become mired in it and the relationship with the dog suffers.

Although my Havoc is gorgeous and has great ear set he is not the dog I hoped for either in terms of other things. It has been hard for me to move past some of the issues and see him as a great dog worthy of my time, attention and more importantly - love. I love hime to death, he is GREAT dog!!!

Kayos is a lovely dog and she too has not worked as I had hoped. She cannot do a lot of physical things that I had planned for her. I was crushed when I could not do agility with a dog I purchased specifically for agility. She is wonderful wonderful dog with a great talent for tracking and therapy. So she changed jobs and I got over it.

My first GSD was fearful and it came out as dog aggression. I had no idea how to fix that in 1990 when positive methods were "that book that Karen Pryor wrote and isn't she a dolphin trainer what does she know about dogs?" came out. No one use positive methods they used heavy compulsion and dogs suffered for it as it did nothing to help them get over fear.

Point I am making is every dog will be a little disappointing if they don't measure up to our expectations. The problem is not the dog, the problem is our expectations. The dog is perfect in who he or she is.

The fear stuff......

My Kayos did some of that cowering at loud noises, things that startled her and trucks driving by on the street while we were walking. She also lunged at dogs she passed and dogs in yards where the fence was pretty close to the street. She started this at about 6 months and it continued for about a year. Kayos was and continues to be well socialized. I do not think it was dog aggression, just being unsure at the stage of mental development she was in. However, not working on it may have may caused it to contiune and escalate and so is born dog aggression.

I have always trained my dogs and competed with them in many venues and I could not take a dog that lunged at other dogs or was so afraid of loud noises she shut down to a dog show. Not good. So we started to work on it at class and I set up opportunities with dogs in yards and in class where I could control distance. This post would be 5 pages long if I explained this thoroughly and I am at work so need to make it shorter. So I will just say there are many many great books on ths subject as well as many DVD's. Jean Donaldson, Pat McConnell, Trish King, and many otheres are great authors to go look at. DO SOME STUDYING ON THIS!!!!

Kayos is also one of those dogs that is very sensitive in her body. She still does not like it when something is dropped near her and creates a loud noise, she will jump and look like she is scared. But truthfully she is startled and recovers quickly. She still hates loud trucks rumbling by, she howls at sirens rofl I howl with her and we have a blast with it! rofl rofl2 I think this reaction is more of an inate instinct to protect herself not necessarily fear. I do not think she is an intrinsically fearful dog or if she is, I have covered it over with excellent training. She is a confident, outgoing dog, she is pushy, she is bitch! And I LOVE her for it. She is wonderful.

It is possible that Brushki (spelling?) is similar to Kayos in these reactions, teenage dog trying to figure out his world and there are some things that cuase him to startle. If he recovers well I would not worry about it, If he does not recover quickly, work with him at a distance comfortable for him and build his confidence.

So don't write this dog off, work on him, you owe him that and he will repay with as much loyalty and trust as any animal can give.

Go to training class with him, good for both of you! Good luck to you guys and I am happy you checked back again. Keep coming here you will learn lots!

Kathy

PTE,AC,URO3,AG2,UCD Xtra!Xtra! v. TeMar CDX,GN,RE,CGC,TC,HIC, Bh "Havoc" 6/4/07
PAM, URO3, UCD, UACH Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,RE,AX,AJP,OFP,P1J,CA,DN,HT,TKN,TC,CGCA 4/4/12

Lucky, Wolf, Max, Kayos - gone not forgotten. gsdhalo
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
FDA warning grain free
by jlstudent1970. 08/14/18 12:52 AM
chit chat
by jlstudent1970. 08/13/18 11:51 PM
First heat-how to manage?
by Mary Jane. 08/13/18 02:53 PM
Babsy is 13.
by Selzer. 08/11/18 05:35 AM
desktop version?
by MaxaLisa. 08/09/18 05:50 AM
old pics of Max
by MaxaLisa. 08/08/18 01:24 AM
FDA Warning on Dog food
by Shilohsmom. 08/06/18 12:48 AM
August 2018 Monthly Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 08/02/18 09:43 PM
Comments for August 2018 Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 08/02/18 09:41 PM
Time to Vote July 2018 Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 07/29/18 03:09 PM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Irritations
by middleofnowhere. 08/10/18 06:51 AM
SamCat and a rainy day
by PositiveDog. 07/31/18 03:20 PM
Just popping back in :-)
by MaxaLisa. 07/23/18 02:56 AM
I think we can swear on this site...
by middleofnowhere. 07/17/18 08:36 PM
Changes at home
by Zisso. 06/24/18 05:55 PM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 84 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
CJGIBBONS, Mernie, alen, Deena, Sondrica17
2912 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums100
Topics20,498
Posts326,549
Members2,912
Most Online209
Jul 31st, 2018