Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
My dog is so scared of everything #204738
01/10/12 07:00 PM
01/10/12 07:00 PM
jeasy02 Offline OP
jeasy02  Offline OP
Ok so I have a big issue and I don't know what caused or is the cause of this. My dog is afraid of EVERYTHING - from cars, to the hamper rolling on the floor, to the sound of a trash bag, to EVERYTHING and I want to break that so bad. Any suggestions?

Also, the other thing that is really just not good is that he gets so excited when we come home after work. I have heard they have serious separation anxiety but when we get in the house he jumps all over us and he is just out of control for like 5 mins and it's bad - any suggestions on that? thanks

Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: jeasy02] #204745
01/10/12 07:34 PM
01/10/12 07:34 PM
Minnesota, USA
Vinnie Offline

The Italian One
Vinnie  Offline

The Italian One
Minnesota, USA
First a few questions for you - how old is your dog? How much and what kind of socialization have you done? How much and what kind of training have you done?

Home of;
Sundance (Ezio zu Treuen Händen, ADC, BH, HIC)
Butch (Dario von der Staatsmacht, APr3, NW1, L1V, HIC, ORT-AC)
& Wyatt the cat

R.I.P. Dalton - Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal.

The Black Dog's Photographer
Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: Vinnie] #204747
01/10/12 07:37 PM
01/10/12 07:37 PM
jeasy02 Offline OP
jeasy02  Offline OP
Originally Posted By: Vinnie
First a few questions for you - how old is your dog? How much and what kind of socialization have you done? How much and what kind of training have you done?

My dog is 20 months. In my opinion he gets socialized a lot. We take him to the dog park every weekend faithfully and we exercise and walk him on a daily basis, he is always running into all sorts of moving objects and people and other dogs. As far as training, I won't lie we have not done any formal training. But we think with what we have done so far we have done well. We are now going to be putting him into formal training classes beginning next month. But he does know the basic commands, sit, stay, down. But sometimes he wont react right away.

Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: jeasy02] #204772
01/10/12 09:07 PM
01/10/12 09:07 PM
New Milford, CT
Woodreb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Woodreb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
New Milford, CT
For the jumping up on you when you get home - Caleb has done the same thing to me, even though my DH is home all day. The best thing to do is cross your arms and turn away from him. At first he may keep jumping, but what you want to do is to remain calm and have absolutely no interaction with him until he calms down and keeps all 4 feet on the floor. then and only then can he get some calm attention, maybe a quiet pet or a cookie for good behavior (best thing with Caleb is the cookie). It may take a while, but I've found that this approach works well.

Johanna

Caleb (aka Caleb-Moose)
Ciara(aka Ciara Belle, Black Devil)

RIP Aodhán, Rica, Max, Kelly - gone but never forgotten - forever in my heart
Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: Woodreb] #204774
01/10/12 09:15 PM
01/10/12 09:15 PM
jeasy02 Offline OP
jeasy02  Offline OP
Originally Posted By: Woodreb
For the jumping up on you when you get home - Caleb has done the same thing to me, even though my DH is home all day. The best thing to do is cross your arms and turn away from him. At first he may keep jumping, but what you want to do is to remain calm and have absolutely no interaction with him until he calms down and keeps all 4 feet on the floor. then and only then can he get some calm attention, maybe a quiet pet or a cookie for good behavior (best thing with Caleb is the cookie). It may take a while, but I've found that this approach works well.

Thank you - I usually do not pay him any mind when he is all over the place. I will continue to do that - thank you

Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: jeasy02] #204779
01/10/12 09:33 PM
01/10/12 09:33 PM
McAlester, OK
Kayos Offline

Can't Figure Tech Stuff Out
Kayos  Offline

Can't Figure Tech Stuff Out
McAlester, OK
Taking that a step further, can you train him to go grab a toy? If his mouth and brain are engaged he may forget to jump.

If you have been ignoring him for this as Johanna suggests for a very long time without improvement something is going on. Most dogs pick up pretty quickly that the rules have changed and learn to comply to get what they want which is your attention.

I do see that you said 'USUALLY do not pay him any mind' tho and that may be the problem. What you may have inadvertently done is put him on a variable reward schedule for jumping on you. A variable reward schedule just means that in his doggy brain you have rewarded him by paying attention (any kind -positive or negative) off and on, so therefore the behavior continues. Any behavior that is rewarded off and on (or variable) is a very entrenched behavior and generally very hard to stop and extinguishes (goes away) slowly.

When we reward off and on we are playing the slot machine and we keep playing hoping for the jackpot. That is what the dog is doing, he contiunes to jump hoping to get a jackpot THAT HE KNOWS WILL COME SOON.

To be successful here you must immediately stop rewarding any jumping ANY JUMPING!!! NO REWARD EVER!!! (Not just usually.) That means everyone in the house all the time.

I would train him to get a toy as noted above or train him to an incompatible behavior. ie pre-empt him and tell him to sit before he jumps. No attention until he is calmy sitting. No attention means no eye contact, no touching, no talking, no yelling NOTHING!!!! If you have to steop back outside to avoid interacting with him.

Just a note, a behavior that has been hightly rewarded and all of sudden stops being rewarded, WILL get worse for awhile. This is called an extinction burst and it will go away if you tough it out and do not give into the dog. What the dog is trying to do is figure out why his behavior is no longer getting him what he wants so he increases the bahavior hoping for the slot machine to pay off.

Good luck.

I might also not consider a second dog until this one is more mature adn better trained. Otherwise you will have double the trouble.

Kathy

PTE,AC,URO3,AG2,UCD Xtra!Xtra! v. TeMar CDX,GN,RE,CGC,TC,HIC, Bh "Havoc" 6/4/07
PAM, URO3, UCD, UACH Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,RE,AX,AJP,OFP,P1J,CA,DN,HT,TKN,TC,CGCA 4/4/12

Lucky, Wolf, Max, Kayos - gone not forgotten. gsdhalo
Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: Kayos] #204792
01/10/12 10:03 PM
01/10/12 10:03 PM
Minnesota, USA
Vinnie Offline

The Italian One
Vinnie  Offline

The Italian One
Minnesota, USA
Originally Posted By: jeasy02
But he does know the basic commands, sit, stay, down. But sometimes he wont react right away.

smile My mother always use to say – slow obedience is no obedience. Your dog either does not fully understand the command and is just guessing at what you want him to do or he is resisting obeying your command.

So to help with the jumping issue I would start by working on his obedience.

True separation anxiety is not as common as many people make it out to be. Some times what people mistake for separation anxiety is actually a learned behavior. As the others have said, ignore the dog when he is jumping all around. This is where a crate can come in real handy. Do you own a crate?

IMO - You need to work on his training.

The fear thing is hard to answer - what is your dog doing that makes you think he is fearful of everything? What are you doing to try to solve this?

Home of;
Sundance (Ezio zu Treuen Händen, ADC, BH, HIC)
Butch (Dario von der Staatsmacht, APr3, NW1, L1V, HIC, ORT-AC)
& Wyatt the cat

R.I.P. Dalton - Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal.

The Black Dog's Photographer
Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: Vinnie] #204804
01/10/12 10:17 PM
01/10/12 10:17 PM
Ohio
PositiveDog Offline
Carpal Tunnel
PositiveDog  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Ohio
Also - what breed is your dog? Sometimes it helps to know that. I saw another post that you planning to add a GSD and it would be your first (?)

Bonnie

With approval of my friends:

SamCat, 03/2011
Bennie the 12 1/2% GSD 02/2013

Seiko, Solo, Sophie, Skye and Buddy - bridge dogs who taught me so much
Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: PositiveDog] #204867
01/11/12 02:21 AM
01/11/12 02:21 AM
Fairfield, Ca.
Schnickle Fritz Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Schnickle Fritz  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Fairfield, Ca.
i am glad you come back here from time to time. i know that if you keep the same hours as you did in your earlier posts it must make it very hard to train your dog the way you wanted. you mentioned that you were doing agility at one time. then when you wanted a schutzhund dog, i just assumed you were going to start Bruschi in it too. have your trainers been helping you in this ongoing OB problem?

Have a great day!!!
NLS

Fritz vom Banach TR1 TT RN RA BN NW1 BH 10/10/09
Cuvee' d' la Maze ORT-BCA BH 01/14/11
Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: PositiveDog] #204876
01/11/12 02:27 AM
01/11/12 02:27 AM
Wisconsin
Wisc.Tiger_Val Offline
Member First - Owner Second "The Watcher"
Wisc.Tiger_Val  Offline
Member First - Owner Second "The Watcher"
Wisconsin
You need to really evaluate what is going on with your current dog before adding another. It may help or hurt your current dog when you add a puppy to the pack.

Are you prepared for your current dog possibly being terrified of the puppy or afraid of the puppy and may possibly hurt him/her.

Bringing a puppy into a house with a fearful dog can some times create problems.
1. The pup will look up to your current dog and mimic his behavior.
2. The current dog may be fear aggressive towards the pup and hurt the pup.
3. Are you prepared to raise the pup independent of the current dog. Separate area's, separate training?

Having two dogs can be good or can be bad. I had to separate Cheyenne and DeeDee because of DeeDee's nerve problems, Cheyenne had no tolerance for DeeDee's weaknesses. I also kept her exposure to Lakota to a minimum when he was a young pup. When he was a year and a half her could deal with her issues without them becoming his issues. But I was never able to have Cheyenne and DeeDee together.

So I have seen both sides, the good and the bad. You just need to be prepared to deal with the bad if it happens.

Val da Tiger

Fuzzybutt the cat.
Neilla the Big White puppy.

RIP Cheyenne - AKA: Digger, CheyChey Girl, Cheyenne Large and In charge. 2/16/02 - 2/27/16
RIP Raya - AKA: Raz-a, Ray a Sunshine, RayBestos, the little one, Silly Girl. 9/21/05 - 6/27/14
RIP Lakota - AKA: Bubba, Big Boy, BooBoo (the other part of the Binky and BooBoo team). 1/19/03-9/19/2011
RIP DeeDee - AKA: DD Poo, Little Bit, Binky (part of the Binky and Booboo team) 6/23/02-6/20/11
Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: Wisc.Tiger_Val] #204878
01/11/12 02:32 AM
01/11/12 02:32 AM
Ohio
PositiveDog Offline
Carpal Tunnel
PositiveDog  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Ohio
Just back to say I read the other post wrong and now realize your current dog is a GSD.

My 2c is that it would better to resolve your dog's fear issues before even considering adding another dog to the mix. Although it could work out, others have given you good information on what might be in store for you if it does not.

I would want to build some confidence first dog. Does your trainer have any ideas to help with that?

Bonnie

With approval of my friends:

SamCat, 03/2011
Bennie the 12 1/2% GSD 02/2013

Seiko, Solo, Sophie, Skye and Buddy - bridge dogs who taught me so much
Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: jeasy02] #204982
01/11/12 03:05 PM
01/11/12 03:05 PM
A
AllMyShepherds Offline
AllMyShepherds  Offline
A
It's not uncommon for GSDs to go through fear phases, usually during adolescence. A behaviorist where I used to take Layla to doggy day care suggested that when she showed fear around various objects, to simply make light of the object by using high pitched phrases such as, "Oh! How silly!" Rather than force the dog near an object they fear, just do the "How silly!" thing and saunter away. Dont' pet (or reward or comfort) the dog for showing fear, but don't force the dog toward a feared object, either.

I agree that formal classes will probably help.

Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: AllMyShepherds] #205010
01/11/12 05:03 PM
01/11/12 05:03 PM
jeasy02 Offline OP
jeasy02  Offline OP
Hi -

Sorry for not responding yesterday as it was so hectic at work and then by the time I got home I was so exhausted.

But thank you so much for all of your responses. I definitely agree that I should have my Bruschi under control before adding another pup, I totally agree with that 100%. And for that reason alone I think we may wait a little bit longer until after he has finished his training classes.

As far as the jumping, I should rephrase that. he does not jump on me when I come into the house after not seeing him all day, he is just hyper and runs all over the place. But my wife has been keeping him at bay by making him sit for awhile until he is calm. I do like the the idea of making his mind go elsewhere by having him fetch something or get something so he can take his mind off of us for a second.

I will definitely get his training going on. He does sit when I say sit but maybe not in all situations. Like if he is hyper or if he is at a dog park he may not sit when I say it the first time but when I say it the second time he does it.

But thank you and I agree that I should wait. I guess I am so eager in getting him a friend that I forget that I need to make sure he is fully disciplined 100% before adding another to the house. Because the last thing I need is to have the new puppy pick up his traits and if he is not compliant at all times then that will be double trouble and hard to train both.

Thank you!

Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: jeasy02] #205012
01/11/12 05:06 PM
01/11/12 05:06 PM
jeasy02 Offline OP
jeasy02  Offline OP
Oh to answer the fear question -

A few weeks ago during New Years one of my neighbors friends was walking to my house by mistake because he was drunk. I was getting ready to walk my dog and we were standing on the steps and Bruschi saw him. He then lunged forward and started barking at him. So I think he will be protective of the house if need be. But if we are walking down the street for example and a car is driving by he will pretty much hide behind me or have that scared look. If he is laying down on his bed and if I have my clothes hamper right next to him and I go to move it, he will jump and run away. If I am opening a trash bag he will go running away. So I don't get it. I hear GSD's are naturally cautious dogs as all dogs should be.

Re: My dog is so scared of everything [Re: jeasy02] #205013
01/11/12 05:10 PM
01/11/12 05:10 PM
jeasy02 Offline OP
jeasy02  Offline OP
And one last thing - I know this is going to sound really bad and I may receive some heat for this and I'll take it but one of the reasons why I didn't go through the formal training is because his ears are not erect like most GSD's. This is my first GSD and dog period and to not have his ears go up it was kind of discouraging. And I just didn't really take the initiative to go through the training and other things the proper way. I got tired of people asking me is he purebred, is he mixed, and I just had that "I don't care attitude." And people say you have to log your dog for who they are and so on and I do. Trust me I love my Bruschi to death and he is my boy. But it's hard sometimes looking at him when his ears are to the side like an airplane. I remember someone from this forum they said their dog's ears didn't go up until 4 years. So I am still hopeful! smile But Yes I know it's wrong to think like that and sometimes I can't help it. But he is still my boy no matter what

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
FDA warning grain free
by jlstudent1970. 08/14/18 12:52 AM
chit chat
by jlstudent1970. 08/13/18 11:51 PM
First heat-how to manage?
by Mary Jane. 08/13/18 02:53 PM
Babsy is 13.
by Selzer. 08/11/18 05:35 AM
desktop version?
by MaxaLisa. 08/09/18 05:50 AM
old pics of Max
by MaxaLisa. 08/08/18 01:24 AM
FDA Warning on Dog food
by Shilohsmom. 08/06/18 12:48 AM
August 2018 Monthly Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 08/02/18 09:43 PM
Comments for August 2018 Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 08/02/18 09:41 PM
Time to Vote July 2018 Photo Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 07/29/18 03:09 PM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Irritations
by middleofnowhere. 08/10/18 06:51 AM
SamCat and a rainy day
by PositiveDog. 07/31/18 03:20 PM
Just popping back in :-)
by MaxaLisa. 07/23/18 02:56 AM
I think we can swear on this site...
by middleofnowhere. 07/17/18 08:36 PM
Changes at home
by Zisso. 06/24/18 05:55 PM
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 96 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mernie, alen, Deena, Sondrica17, ctolle
2911 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums100
Topics20,498
Posts326,548
Members2,911
Most Online209
Jul 31st, 2018