08/08/11 05:45 AM
08/08/11 05:45 AM
Buffalo
BowWowMeow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
BowWowMeow  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Buffalo
smashcomputer Picture me running across this thread with a referee whistle and throwing out a bunch of penalty flags. How about everyone step back and think about why our buttons are getting pushed?

Draugr, I have no idea who you are and why you're picking on Lisa T. but I know who everyone else is who's posting in this thread.

Malinois16:

Some suggestions:

1) Take a look another very popular thread on this forum and you will see that Lisa T's dog Max is very sick
2) Take a look at the threads in the health section and you will see a few of us (most prominently Lisa T) try very hard to help people out with tough canine and feline medical questions
3) Then notice how respectful and supportive people are to one another in those threads

You clearly care about your dog. But all of this negativity towards your vets and their supposed ulterior motives, towards the members of this forum and towards other people who you suspect are committing some kind of fraud or have something against you breeds more negativity. Sure, it gets you attention but It does not get you help for your dog. If you truly want help for your dog then take a deep breath, be patient (most of us have jobs, other posts to respond to, etc.), appreciate the time people spend responding to your questions, read through previous posts for answers (including other people's posts on pannus) and please stop using emotional blackmail about your dog's future and your intentions.

Ruth

Rafi, the german malaroo, age 9.5ish
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238

Varda & Gio (the crazy cattens)
Warming my heart:
Queen Cleopatra
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Re: Brought Lincoln to have his eyes looked at [Re: Malinois16] #172114
08/08/11 05:51 AM
08/08/11 05:51 AM
M
Malinois16 Offline OP
Addict
Malinois16  Offline OP
Addict
M
I am stressed out and upset because anyone that sells the cyclosporine cheap cannot ship to Canada. I can order a bottle for $25 but they dont ship to Canada. I dont know anyone in the US who will accept my order then ship it over the border to me.

Its RIGHT there and I cannot get it. I really want to do the cyclosporine but at $52 a bottle and $39 is the cheapest online and I need 2 a month I cannot afford it and its making me feel like a horrible owner. So I dont have much of a choice then to try the pred drops now everyone is saying they wont work.

So I am no purposely being snippy. I havent seen Lisas thread, I dont really come to this forum anymore.

Re: Brought Lincoln to have his eyes looked at [Re: Malinois16] #172132
08/08/11 12:48 PM
08/08/11 12:48 PM
Alaska
L
laevsk Offline
Enthusiast
laevsk  Offline
Enthusiast
L
Alaska
If you sold your computer, you might be able to afford the medication.

Just sayin'...

I am on disability myself, have an extremely limited income, but would sell everything I have to treat my dogs if they needed it. I also have family and friends who know that I am trustworthy and would pay back a loan, so I have those options too. As someone with such a small income myself, it bothers me when people say "I can't afford to treat my dog" when there's usually a way to make it work. Stop for a bit, get offline and consider your options and you may find a way to afford the good meds. There's always Top Ramen.

I doubt that the vet recommended Optimune just because they make more money off of it. I was a vet tech for years and saw what went on behind the scenes, and have had a close relationship with numerous vets. Most of them are NOT driven by money first. They want people's animals to get healthy and that often takes expensive medications (especially considering the size of our GSDs). If the medication is recommended by a vet because it's the med that is most likely to do the most good, and you choose a less effective medication because it's cheaper, you might find that in the long run you end up being out even MORE money. The treatment may not work (leading to more vet visits and meds), or if it does work it may take much longer (leading to higher costs in medication over the long run).

Sacrifice is difficult, but when it comes to the health of our dogs it's not worth skimping. I do crafts (usually beadwork) nearly everyday so that I have items to sell if I need to bring in a bit more money for my dogs. And I do have a cupboard full of boxes of mac and cheese, packages of top ramen and containers of peanut butter. I can live on those if needed so that my dogs get what they need. After all, when I brought them into my life I agreed to be responsible for them, and that's not a part-time job.

Just my always-honest opinions.

Melanie and the girls in Alaska

Melanie & the girls in Alaska
Khana-Service Dog Extraordinaire (Chow)
Tazer-Monster Puppy, All Grown Up (GSD)
-And always in my heart:
Trick & Dawson (GSDs)-Kylee & Dora (Chows)-Lady (Aussie)
-20+ years of love and laughter, 35+ titles earned
Re: Brought Lincoln to have his eyes looked at [Re: laevsk] #172169
08/08/11 04:15 PM
08/08/11 04:15 PM
Wisconsin
Wisc.Tiger_Val Offline
Member First - Owner Second "The Watcher"
Wisc.Tiger_Val  Offline
Member First - Owner Second "The Watcher"
Wisconsin
Mal 16, I don't know what the answers are to your problems. But I will tell you this.... No one on this forum is going to send you money for your dogs meds. I think you vet prescribed what they did because it is the best choice of treatment. There are some studies being done that eye ointment is more effect than drops because it stays int he eye longer.

If you can't afford the treatment you vet prescribed then talk with your vet and see if there is another option.

Find a way to make that extra $50 - $100 a month, at $100 that is like $3.33 a day. Go around and pick up aluminum cans I would guess they they are around 50 - 70 cents a pound. There are other scrap recyclable things like copper wire that are bringing much more. Ask you Vet in exchange for meds if you could pick up their outside yard, wash windows, clean kennels. Make up a flier, stop at house, I am trying to raise funds for my dogs medication, is there some chore I could do for you.

Val da Tiger

Fuzzybutt the cat.
Neilla the Big White puppy.

RIP Cheyenne - AKA: Digger, CheyChey Girl, Cheyenne Large and In charge. 2/16/02 - 2/27/16
RIP Raya - AKA: Raz-a, Ray a Sunshine, RayBestos, the little one, Silly Girl. 9/21/05 - 6/27/14
RIP Lakota - AKA: Bubba, Big Boy, BooBoo (the other part of the Binky and BooBoo team). 1/19/03-9/19/2011
RIP DeeDee - AKA: DD Poo, Little Bit, Binky (part of the Binky and Booboo team) 6/23/02-6/20/11
Re: Brought Lincoln to have his eyes looked at [Re: Wisc.Tiger_Val] #172173
08/08/11 04:42 PM
08/08/11 04:42 PM
Massachusetts
Braverhund Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Braverhund  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Massachusetts
Caring for our dogs sensibly really takes good communication with our vets, and planning our own budget in case of situations where we'll need to afford meds. Not easy to keep cutting back. Even beyond cutting back, there are options out there, for someone willing and able to push paperwork, follow up with phonecalls, etc to pharmaceutical sources.

On tiny, limited monthly check for the blind. I could afford the Optimune, but, only because:

I have no cable TV.
I have no television set at all.
I have no telephone services such as Caller ID, Call Waiting, etc.
I have no cell phone.

Okay, so I'm living in the dark ages-- but if Grimm needs meds, I'll be able to afford them each month.

There's an eye med that I myself need, not covered by my insurance. I rang the pharmaceutical company, and did all the crazy paperwork, got it signed by my doc, sent in my SSI proofs, etc etc-- am now enrolled in a program for low income to obtain needed meds from that company. Might a veterinary phemaceutical company also have such programs in place? Lotsa times they are also people-pharmaceutical companies too, so the answer may be "yes." It requires jumping through their hoops with paperwork, vet's signatures, etc. Worth it for my dog.

Stuff to consider. Or not.

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, "Donnerpratzen"
Smokey The TeddyLion, DLH purrbuddy

Dir gehört mein Herz
Re: Brought Lincoln to have his eyes looked at [Re: Malinois16] #172193
08/08/11 06:40 PM
08/08/11 06:40 PM
M
Malinois16 Offline OP
Addict
Malinois16  Offline OP
Addict
M
Thanks Braverhund I will look into that and contact the company that makes the medication.

I am not selling my computer. Its not even worth anything. I have posted online I am able to walk dogs and clean houses so that may generate some income. The only issue I have come around is people who want dogs walked also want you to have insurance incase their dog runs away or causes an accident...but I will keep trying.

I have ordered more Optimmune for now until I can figure something out. The vet told me a tube will last 2 weeks but I have been reading a tube lasts 4-6 weeks. Has anyone used Optimmune here and can tell me how long their tubes last?

I dont have Internet, Cable and I do have a cell phone but I cant cancel that because I have 1.5 more years on my contract. I use my grandmothers internet/cable. The TV is hers also. I have nothing but my computer and sterio system. The sterio I am looking to sell.

I am not asking people to send me money from here. Where did I ever ask or PM anyone for money? I didnt...so not sure where that came from

Last edited by Malinois16; 08/08/11 06:49 PM.
Re: Brought Lincoln to have his eyes looked at [Re: Malinois16] #172197
08/08/11 07:03 PM
08/08/11 07:03 PM
L
LifeAsMe Offline
Carpal Tunnel
LifeAsMe  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
L
I thought you said your neighbor (a HE) let you hook into his internet? Pretty sure that's in a previous post since I questioned the legality of it.

If you can walk dogs, then why can't you work for someone who has a dog walking business so that YOU don't need to buy insurance but would be covered under the business?

Re: Brought Lincoln to have his eyes looked at [Re: Malinois16] #172199
08/08/11 07:16 PM
08/08/11 07:16 PM
M
Malinois16 Offline OP
Addict
Malinois16  Offline OP
Addict
M
Yes my granny and I use the neighbours internet and satellite. They kinda split the bill and I give some money when I have it. Its legal, we asked.

I dont have transportation other then a bike ride in the city. Companies here that hire dog walkers want you to be bondable and have a valid license. I am not bondable thanks to a legality screw up and I dont have access to a car on a regular basis. But I am sure I can find people who want their dogs walked. I offered to go cut lawns, clean pools and all that lovely yard work.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Looking for an answer, pos. food issue?
by middleofnowhere. 09/20/18 02:52 AM
Happy Birthday Z!
by Zisso. 09/16/18 02:50 PM
The day my dog tried to kill me
by Sylv. 09/14/18 08:20 PM
Harness
by Todd. 09/12/18 08:48 PM
But Bennie wasn't broken!
by PositiveDog. 09/07/18 10:43 PM
Flea & Tick preventative
by Shilohsmom. 09/07/18 04:08 AM
I'm Back
by Chey & The Herd. 09/04/18 08:07 PM
September 2018 Photo Contest Entries
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 09/04/18 01:53 PM
Comments for September 2018 Contest
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 09/04/18 01:50 PM
My remaining living room furniture
by Shilohsmom. 09/04/18 03:48 AM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
East coast friends, please keep us posted
by PositiveDog. 09/13/18 08:27 PM
Kathy (Kayos Mod) could use us
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 09/04/18 01:34 PM
Happy Labor Day weekend
by Shilohsmom. 09/01/18 01:41 AM
Summer Produce/Winter YUM
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 08/30/18 04:46 PM
Punctuation Experts
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 08/25/18 07:39 PM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 86 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
achilleas, Ruger0sasha, NurseBishop, Roguehk, Sydney
2921 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums100
Topics20,529
Posts326,935
Members2,921
Most Online209
Jul 31st, 2018