01/29/11 03:15 AM
01/29/11 03:15 AM
Colorado
Kris Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Kris  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Colorado
I've been talking with someone whose female GSD is having TPLO surgery on one rear leg within the next two weeks. She's now four and when she was nine months had surgery on both front elbows. In the last two months, they've had over $2K in vet bills and this surgery could run as high as $3,500. Sooo, any low cost ideas on how to entertain an energetic dog after this surgery? She'll be crated during the day when they're at work, and tethered at night when they're home so she doesn't go scooting out the dog door with her brother. She'll have to be kept fairly quiet for three months according to the surgeon. Thankfully, I haven't been through this, so I don't have any really good ideas to give her.

I searched in the health forums and didn't see anything specifically related to this, but if you know of a thread, just point me in the right direction!

Thanks in advance for any ideas you can offer!

Kris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samson, GSD, 10/13/07
Annabel, Keeshond, 4/21/11
Petie, Toy Poodle, 5/5/07
Kitties: Meezer, Bob, Mia and Dewey
Re: How do you entertain a dog after surgery? [Re: Kris] #128454
01/29/11 03:58 AM
01/29/11 03:58 AM
New York
SophieGSD Offline
SophieGSD  Offline

New York
The first several days after the pup comes home, the pup will most likely just want to be left alone. After those several days have passed and the pain isn't so bad (perhaps a week or two out of surgery), you may want to see if the pup wants to play catch. My Sophie tore both her ACLs in 2010, and had TPLO surgery on the one leg in October (the vet will only fix one leg at a time).

I think it was a good week or so after I brought Sophie home that she started to want to play ball. Due to the pain and some of the pain meds, especially the duragesic patch, Sophie didn't want to eat nor take her medicine. She just wanted to lay near me as I worked or she would put herself in her crate to be away from my other dogs. I was exceptionally concerned about Sophie not eating, but finally, a week to the day after I brought her home, and about 24 hours after I removed the duragesic pain patch, Sophie finally ate for me.

Don't get me wrong; the durageis pain patch is a great pain drug, but it is known to make dogs not want to eat. So, the pup's parents just need to make sure to remove the patch as instructed by the vet.

Sophie has a one track mind - ball. So, I kept her quiet and when she started to feel better, I sat just a couple of feet away from her and gently threw the ball for her to catch. This is all I could offer her, but it seemed to really make her happy when I did! At times I'd also roll it to her, and she'd swat it back (pretty funny to see!).

Some advice: Make sure the pup's parents do not take off the e-collar. Although I never removed Sophie's e-collar, she, being the typical stubborn and highly intelligent pup that she is, managed to somehow bend the e-collar when she was in her cage and she'd lick the incision. Needless to say, before I realized what happened, she took several stiches out from the surface level and had a massive infection. nono

So, what was a $3K surgery ended up costing me over $5K, as Sophie had to be hospitalized for the infection. confused2

Once I pay this surgery off (hello income tax refund!), Sophie will be scheduled in the spring for her other TPLO surgery.

The pup's parents should also be aware that for the first month or so they will have to use a sling to support the pup's rear end when going out (the vet supplies the sling). The pup may also need to be leashed during this time, depending on how calm the dog is when taken outside.

I hope some of this is helpful,

Nicole

Re: How do you entertain a dog after surgery? [Re: Kris] #128455
01/29/11 04:01 AM
01/29/11 04:01 AM
Wisconsin
Wisc.Tiger_Val Offline
Member First - Owner Second "The Watcher"
Wisc.Tiger_Val  Offline
Member First - Owner Second "The Watcher"

Wisconsin
I think kayos (kathy) had a really nice set up for after surgery. I think there was another one but I can't remember who it was.

Keep a dog occupied will vary on how much energy and drive the dog has. They first few weeks shouldn't be that bad, I don't believe.

I would start now teaching some quite games. Most of my dogs I have taught a ball roll game. They lay down, I sit a few feet away from them and roll a ball at them. They in most cases use their nose to roll it back towards me and they get a treat. Or like a shell game, three cups and one treat, but let the dog use their nose to pick the right cup.

When the dog can have limited walking I would use find it games to keep the brain occupied. A tired brain is just as good as a tired body.

Val da Tiger

Fuzzybutt the cat.
Neilla the Big White puppy.

RIP Cheyenne - AKA: Digger, CheyChey Girl, Cheyenne Large and In charge. 2/16/02 - 2/27/16
RIP Raya - AKA: Raz-a, Ray a Sunshine, RayBestos, the little one, Silly Girl. 9/21/05 - 6/27/14
RIP Lakota - AKA: Bubba, Big Boy, BooBoo (the other part of the Binky and BooBoo team). 1/19/03-9/19/2011
RIP DeeDee - AKA: DD Poo, Little Bit, Binky (part of the Binky and Booboo team) 6/23/02-6/20/11
Re: How do you entertain a dog after surgery? [Re: Wisc.Tiger_Val] #128472
01/29/11 05:10 AM
01/29/11 05:10 AM
york township, MI
katieliz Offline
Old Hand
katieliz  Offline
Old Hand

york township, MI
you can see how we coped with the whole ordeal on the c-monster's blog at:

www.caesar-the-road-pirate.blogspot.com

scroll down to and click on "older posts".

a 5x5, 6ft high portable kennel offered him a bit more freedom than a crate.

Last edited by katieliz; 01/29/11 05:11 AM.

mom to seraphina blue and the cashman
miss jeni-take-a-ride
shangri la's great white caesar ("the c-monster")
voodoo lily (dsh)
cricket-the-bird (african grey parrot)RIP-2013
RIP hearthside's cinderfella (4/20/09)
RIP shep von bellefontaine (6/9/10)
Re: How do you entertain a dog after surgery? [Re: Kris] #128474
01/29/11 05:16 AM
01/29/11 05:16 AM
Kansas
kelso Offline
Veteran
kelso  Offline
Veteran

Kansas
Originally Posted By: Kris
I've been talking with someone whose female GSD is having TPLO surgery on one rear leg within the next two weeks. She's now four and when she was nine months had surgery on both front elbows. In the last two months, they've had over $2K in vet bills and this surgery could run as high as $3,500. Sooo, any low cost ideas on how to entertain an energetic dog after this surgery? She'll be crated during the day when they're at work, and tethered at night when they're home so she doesn't go scooting out the dog door with her brother. She'll have to be kept fairly quiet for three months according to the surgeon. Thankfully, I haven't been through this, so I don't have any really good ideas to give her.

I searched in the health forums and didn't see anything specifically related to this, but if you know of a thread, just point me in the right direction!

Thanks in advance for any ideas you can offer!

I would ask Lynn P!! I think her dog Laos had a similar surgery a couple months back. Seems to be a high drive working line young dog (just 2 yrs old I think?) so I am sure she has had to come up with some interesting techniques/games.. or something!

Yep, it was a TPLO, just found one of her posts
http://www.germanshepherdhome.net/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/105448/1.html

Best of luck, and best wishes for the surgery

-Steph

GSD's
Allie, gotcha 7/2007
Riko z Vom Weberhaus, "Fez" 7/29/2012

forever our angels
Meeka, b. 10/31/1994-11/26/2006
Kelso, b. 9/3/2006-2/9/2012

Re: How do you entertain a dog after surgery? [Re: kelso] #128504
01/29/11 08:38 AM
01/29/11 08:38 AM
Chicago
Chicago Canine Offline
Addict
Chicago Canine  Offline
Addict

Chicago
I don't know about low cost, but when my terrier had FHO surgery I bought a lot of beef tendon chews and other chewies he liked, to keep him quiet/busy.

Bianca HIC CGC TT, ~ 6 years GSD, SHC Ambassador Dog, Therapy Dog
and the cats
Re: How do you entertain a dog after surgery? [Re: Chicago Canine] #128584
01/29/11 04:28 PM
01/29/11 04:28 PM
Baltimore, Maryland
Lynn P Offline
Old Hand
Lynn P  Offline
Old Hand

Baltimore, Maryland
Kris,

Hi, Yes my Laos (just turned 2 in October) had the TPLO surgery on November 11th. It's been very challenging keeping him occupied during the recovery/rehab. We are now at the 12 week post op mark and finally we are moving forward as he had two major set backs 1) infection of the surgical site 2) he somehow sustained a groin muscle injury during his rehab.

I have a 5 x 5 kennel set up now as it gave him alittle more room to move around in. The first 2 weeks though he stayed in a large crate. During those weeks he was limited to potty breaks only and then I would bringing him in the living room and made him lay down for 15 minute breaks out of the crate. They really don't want the dog doing much during the 1st couple of weeks. We were given exercises to do (PROM) for those weeks that I think Laos almost looked forward to. They also gave me a sedative to give him and for the first couple of weeks it worked, though after he built up a tolerance the "Ace" didn't do anything. After the 2 week post op mark, they allowed him short (very short) leash walks ~ like 2 minutes out and 2 minutes back. Once Laos was up to 10 minute walks, I started putting in short "tracks" for him to do. This helped with the mental stimulation. I could not (and still can not) bring out balls for him to play with as it puts him into too much drive and he twists the knee. My life saver has been marrow bones, me having a ball on a leash and just keep him right in front of me with that. I would also suggest that your friend gets the dog use to using a ramp before the surgery as this has helped with me being able to take Laos for van rides when I take my other dog to training. Just a change of scenery seems to help with the bordem. Laos is at a point that he's allowed to have some "off-leash" time in the living room, but it's very short because his drive kicks in once he realizes he's off leash and he gets alittle too energetic. Laos also goes to physical therapy twice a week and this has helped as on those days he's had a chance to get out of the house, gets a pretty good work out on the underwater treadmill and he's quite content during those evenings.

I was so anxious about how I was going to keep this high drive dog content, but the weeks go by one at a time and then you are finally at the 12 week mark. It will probably be 4 more weeks before I'm comfortable with allowing Laos off leash, but this is because of his drive level and the set backs he had early during the recovery.

Here's a picture of Laos' set up two weeks post op. I had to put a top on it as he jumps six feet in the air when he gets excited.

Here's a picture of Laos the day he came home.

Here's a piture of Laos with his ball on a leash. Notice the chairs on the furniture ~ Laos and I sitting on the floor.

Tell your friend that if she needs to talk during any of this process that she can contact me. It's helped me a lot having some one that was going through the same thing during those times when I thought things would never get better.

~Lynn~

Dante vom Wildhaus, SchH 3 (HOT)
Laos vom Hünxer Wald (My "retired" Wild Child)
Novak von der Alte Baum
Re: How do you entertain a dog after surgery? [Re: Lynn P] #128603
01/29/11 05:28 PM
01/29/11 05:28 PM
Shreveport
zyp Offline
Old Hand
zyp  Offline
Old Hand

Shreveport
Great set up Lynn...

roflI'm laughing knowing what we do for our dogs!!

Anne

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat
Re: How do you entertain a dog after surgery? [Re: zyp] #128611
01/29/11 06:15 PM
01/29/11 06:15 PM
Baltimore, Maryland
Lynn P Offline
Old Hand
Lynn P  Offline
Old Hand

Baltimore, Maryland
Isn't that the truth Anne

~Lynn~

Dante vom Wildhaus, SchH 3 (HOT)
Laos vom Hünxer Wald (My "retired" Wild Child)
Novak von der Alte Baum
Re: How do you entertain a dog after surgery? [Re: Lynn P] #128614
01/29/11 06:40 PM
01/29/11 06:40 PM
Colorado
Kris Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
Kris  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

Colorado
Thanks so much for all the great input! Lynn - really appreciate the explanation and pictures! I've been keeping track of Laos' progress in your posts. Don't know why I didn't think to search for that last night! hammer I had thought of a ramp, but that was about all I could come up with. The larger area is very nice - so much less confining than a crate. What a challenge it must be to keep these dogs quiet for so long. I'll send this link to her so she can see the pictures. Great info. - I've bookmarked in case anyone else needs it one of these days (hopefully never me!!).

Kris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Samson, GSD, 10/13/07
Annabel, Keeshond, 4/21/11
Petie, Toy Poodle, 5/5/07
Kitties: Meezer, Bob, Mia and Dewey
Re: How do you entertain a dog after surgery? [Re: Kris] #128663
01/29/11 09:05 PM
01/29/11 09:05 PM
Lorelei Offline
Lorelei  Offline

This might not help at all, as you may have heard of all of these, but I thought it was odd that I came across it the same day after reading your post! I thought some of the ideas were pretty interesting, and I'd like to try the "Indication, Paws off" game with my pup sometime.
Games for Dogs

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Do dogs appreciate aesthetics?
by jarn. 11/13/22 11:41 PM
eh
by middleofnowhere. 11/06/22 02:07 AM
Happy 11th Birthday, Ciara Bella
by Woodreb. 10/30/22 01:48 AM
Welcome Home, Roisin
by Woodreb. 09/27/22 08:43 PM
Caleb Moose - Run Free
by Woodreb. 05/14/22 01:36 AM
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Holiday cards
by Shilohsmom. 11/26/22 05:28 PM
Thanksgiving plans?
by Shilohsmom. 11/23/22 12:31 AM
Mom and bad bread
by jarn. 11/15/22 06:57 PM
Rosa update
by middleofnowhere. 11/05/22 08:01 PM
Rosa's Hello old Friends, continued part 2
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 01/13/15 03:49 PM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 8 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Members
GSDman, GSDluvah, Bonwno, Mongoski, Lawz67
3048 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics18,795
Posts293,332
Members3,048
Most Online991
Jan 15th, 2020