12/22/17 11:00 PM
12/22/17 11:00 PM
S
Shilohsmom Offline
Pooh-Bah
Shilohsmom  Offline
Pooh-Bah
S
I'm so relieved. Perhaps he's just having some rough times right now. I think it can be hard for our pups during the Holidays with all the goings on. I just hope that is all it is. I know they drive us crazy sometimes crazy I'm just so glad he has you and I know he is too!!!

hugging

Rosa

Proud Mom to Eli and Kodiak
and never to be forgotten, Shiloh and Shoshi
Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks its the greatest dog that ever lived!
Re: Advice needed [Re: Shilohsmom] #346426
12/23/17 01:59 AM
12/23/17 01:59 AM
M
middleofnowhere Offline
Carpal Tunnel
middleofnowhere  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
Well, the new info since I weighted in -- bro in, dog kicked out of bedrooms and off couch === he's protesting by telling you about it - making sure you know about it by crawling under the desk (and tangling wires and frustrating you so you will feel his "pain"). If I remember right, bro = causes stress for you. So figure in that he thinks you need to know bro is there and that may be part of the "telling you about it" that's going on.

And MC to you. What better way to spend $$ than at the vet? That is in part jest but in part serious - it at least reaffirms "not that" so far as a health issue goes.

Re: Advice needed [Re: middleofnowhere] #346428
12/23/17 02:11 AM
12/23/17 02:11 AM
Eastern Oregon
Z
Zisso Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Zisso  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Z
Eastern Oregon
Merry Christmas to you all! Especially you Middle...you crack me up. Z's Christmas gift was a few trips to the vet. I am not so sure that him acting up now is over the eviction from couch and bedroom though-bro has been here since Oct 28. I do think that perhaps the cold and a bit of arthritis is causing some discomfort though. Either way, I can rest easy knowing there is nothing major medically. Also, I just ordered my own ear scope (Otoscope) so I can see in his ears. That will be helpful in keeping this ear clean. I am so not comfortable doctoring it 'blind'. Plus when he has future problems with this ear, I can look first before going to the vet. It was only $7, and will pay for itself the first time it saves us a trip to the dreaded vet. I am grateful he didn't have a problem with a tooth since that could prove to be extra spendy.

In other news, I guess my mom has been doing a good deal of traveling in her world-Disneyland and Florida last week! It's getting hard to keep up with such a busy lady smile We will have her here for Christmas dinner, and then maybe she will settle down for awhile. Dad is fat and sassy, bro has given up on his house ever being ready to move in. It is very discouraging that the builder worked hard all summer, but as soon as he came back here, the builder slowed to a snails pace. I know he wants to go home so badly!

Anyways...

Hope you all enjoy the Holidays!

Bev~mom to:
Zisso-DOB 09/16/07

R.I.P. Kiki, Nadia, Pepe, and all my other loves from years gone by.
Re: Advice needed [Re: Zisso] #346447
12/24/17 04:33 PM
12/24/17 04:33 PM
S
Shilohsmom Offline
Pooh-Bah
Shilohsmom  Offline
Pooh-Bah
S
Just checking in to make sure your boy is still doing well. Happy holidays.

Rosa

Proud Mom to Eli and Kodiak
and never to be forgotten, Shiloh and Shoshi
Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks its the greatest dog that ever lived!
Re: Advice needed [Re: Shilohsmom] #346460
12/25/17 02:28 PM
12/25/17 02:28 PM
Eastern Oregon
Z
Zisso Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Zisso  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Z
Eastern Oregon
Merry Christmas Rosa!

Last night he was up to his restlessness again, driving me crazy. After all the poking and prodding, I found what looks to be a large scab on the inside of one knee. I think it was a hotspot. Dark, and parts of it coming loose in his hair. I couldn't get a good look at it-someone was being difficult and I wasnt ready for the struggle.Will check it out more today. I applied witch hazel to stop the itch. Finally gave up around 10pm and gave him Melatonin and he finally settled down around 11. It's like he does not want my door shut at night.

I never closed my bedroom door when we lived alone, but I do now, for obvious reasons. I don't latch it, just in case Z has an emergency to go out. But all of a sudden, if it is closed he will keep pushing it open. Maybe this is a result of him being 'displaced' by my brother but either way, I am so over it!

Bev~mom to:
Zisso-DOB 09/16/07

Re: Advice needed [Re: Zisso] #346462
12/25/17 06:59 PM
12/25/17 06:59 PM
Massachusetts
Braverhund Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Braverhund  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Massachusetts
Iím sending very wellness vibes for your dear Zisso. Iím hoping you can find out what is bothering him, and what he needs. Perhaps it has to do with the area on his knee, but perhaps not. Itís so hard to know, so our quest to Sherlock Holmes an answer continues. Iím hoping the answer to what he needs comes to you soon! Grimmi and I are sending best wishes for Zisso to feel better, soon! Sending you positive well-wishes, also! gsdbeggin crossedfingers hugging

Patti
Frauchen von:

Grimm van den Heuvel, "Donnerpratzen"
Smokey The TeddyLion, DLH purrbuddy

Dir gehŲrt mein Herz
Re: Advice needed [Re: Braverhund] #346464
12/26/17 08:02 PM
12/26/17 08:02 PM
San Jose, California
Karin Offline
Old Hand
Karin  Offline
Old Hand
San Jose, California
Sorry to hear about Zisso's problems. I second Bonnie's comments about Cholodin. Zisso is 10 now, so CCD (canine cognitive disorder) could be a possibility. Heidi (age 12 now) was (and still is) often restless at night, wandering, squeezing in corners, staring at walls, and sometimes getting really scared. Cholodin did wonders for her.

A couple of months ago, she seemed to be getting much worse in all the above behaviors, plus she would get panicked out of the blue once (sometimes more) times a day and would shake, pant, pace, and try to get behind our chairs, almost knocking a lamp over in the process. She also lost her appetite and was down to 52 lbs. And on top of that, she started having what looked like small seizures. The vet couldn't find anything wrong so we took her to a veterinarian neurologist (who we weren't impressed with) who recommended an MRI and spinal tap. No way were we going to do that at her age. I started researching hypothyroidism and had her blood levels checked and found that her thyroid levels were low normal. We put her on a low dosage of thyroid medicine and the results have been pretty amazing. Better appetite, no more seizures, more balanced, and sleeping through the night most nights. She still has her moments but she is MUCH better than she was before.

I hope you can find out what is happening with Zisso. It's so hard to figure out how to help them with their issues when they get older because so many things can go wrong. Keep us posted!

Karin and Dave

Heidi, 12-year-old GSD
Adopted on 10/14/07 from: German Shepherd Rescue of Northern California (http://www.savegsd.org)

Sheba, GSD/Malamute angel
Re: Advice needed [Re: Karin] #346472
12/27/17 06:47 PM
12/27/17 06:47 PM
Eastern Oregon
Z
Zisso Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Zisso  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Z
Eastern Oregon
Sweet Patti, thank you so much for your kind words! Karin, I agree that if I can't find the root of his troubles I may need to look into Cholodin.

Night before last, he was up to no good getting into the garbage, which is something he has just started doing around Thanksgiving time when he stole the ham bone from the trash. He got into it again night before last, and I caught him red pawed wink so threatened to beat his butt as I opened the door, providing his escape. I had been moments from deep sleep, yet found myself out playing at 10pm o run off some energy.

So last night I tried a new approach, and it seemed to work best... late evening romp in the snow! Exercise! One of the reasons we don't play a lot this time of year is that he gets those dang ice balls in his feet, so I found a way to control that. I picked up a little personal trimmer for guys. The kind that is meant to trim nose and ear hairs. Using that, I can trim the hair on his feet without a major fight from him and it helps to keep the ice balls from forming with less hair.

I also picked up an ear scope so I can see for myself how his ear is doing for wax and dirt and save myself money going to the vet. I have the ear cleaner and steroids, so now can treat as needed without paying $60 for the vet to tell me his ears are dirty smile

Overall, those 2 tools cost me about $15 and will pay for themselves in no time and we will both benefit greatly.

Z loves to play in the morning and I tend to get busy in the evening with dinner, dishes, floors to mop up after long days of us all tracking in snow and mud so afternoon/early evening play was omitted. I think now by controlling the ear problem and hairy feet problem, we can get out more, play longer, get more exercise and rest better. Last night it was Zisso who headed for the door first!

I want to thank you all for your kind and caring hearts and advice, suggestions and love. Wishing you all a Happy New Year!

Last edited by Zisso; 12/27/17 06:47 PM.

Bev~mom to:
Zisso-DOB 09/16/07

Re: Advice needed [Re: Zisso] #346482
12/28/17 04:08 PM
12/28/17 04:08 PM
M
middleofnowhere Offline
Carpal Tunnel
middleofnowhere  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
So problem solved. Change in routine = restless dog or change in dog behavior. Do I know that one. Bev, you withheld information from us! (because, of course, you didn't think of it... been there.) It seems to me that the guys are much more sensitive to activity level changes than females. If the shave/trim doesn't do it all consider -- Snow boots, musher's secret and a warm rug to lie on when coming into the house can all help with snow ball control. Get this figured out and we'll have a short winter. I'm for a short winter.

Re: Advice needed [Re: middleofnowhere] #346483
12/28/17 05:51 PM
12/28/17 05:51 PM
New Milford, CT
Woodreb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Woodreb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
New Milford, CT
Amen to the short winter. Are you all getting the Arctic blast? NH is around 0 today with major wind chill. Even Caleb and Ciara don't want to stay out very long.

Hope some extra play time gets Zisso to settle in the house.

Johanna

Caleb (aka Caleb-Moose)
Ciara(aka Ciara Belle, Black Devil)

RIP AodhŠn, Rica, Max, Kelly - gone but never forgotten - forever in my heart
Re: Advice needed [Re: Woodreb] #346494
12/31/17 05:42 PM
12/31/17 05:42 PM
Eastern Oregon
Z
Zisso Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Zisso  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Z
Eastern Oregon
Middle, yeah, my thought process is slow...takes me extra long to pinpoint things these days. Sometimes I feel like I headed the same direction as my mom...then I get mad and determined to not let myself go nuts wink anymore than I already am, anyway. LOL

It is warmer here than last year. Snow is nearly melted in yard. Z is much better with the shorter hair on his feet. We got an excellent game of fetch in yesterday and had I Not binge watched a scary show last night, we would of had a great night. I dread tonight with fireworks since he is so terrified of them, but hoping Melatonin will help us both.

My brother is getting his house in about a week! We had a chat with the builder the other day to pin him down on the progress and get a rough date. Carpet and appliances, and plumbing all go in next week. So then Z will get his bed(s) back...the spare bed in dad's room and the couch.

Happy New Year my friends!

Last edited by Zisso; 12/31/17 05:43 PM.

Bev~mom to:
Zisso-DOB 09/16/07

Re: Advice needed [Re: Zisso] #346496
12/31/17 07:52 PM
12/31/17 07:52 PM
M
middleofnowhere Offline
Carpal Tunnel
middleofnowhere  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
This sounds good. The bros house, the play/exercise, the warmer weather - I can still see snow on the mountains bright and clear so the snow pack may be just fine.

On the "not thinking of it" -- well, that's just the way humans operate. Long after the fact "oh yeah, hmmm." At least sometimes I have a sudden dawning of something I should have figured out much sooner.

Re: Advice needed [Re: middleofnowhere] #346504
01/01/18 05:29 PM
01/01/18 05:29 PM
Eastern Oregon
Z
Zisso Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Zisso  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Z
Eastern Oregon
Happy New Year my friends!

Last night was the most Amazing one I have had since bringing Z home in '09!

I gave him 20mg of Melatoin at 10pm, and let him out of my room. I took some also and went to sleep. He woke me up shortly after midnight freaking out, I let him up on the bed and turned TV back on. He settled down very fast, and at some point in the night he was too hot and I let him back out. That was the best New Year's Eve sleep I have ever gotten!

I think it was helpful to have it so cold last night that people stayed in and that I was already zonked out so maybe that helped him be calmer. We had a good day and a good night. I couldn't be happier. Now I look forward to a good year. Who knows what 2018 will bring but I am positive it will be great !

Bev~mom to:
Zisso-DOB 09/16/07

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Monthly Photo Contest Winner
Newest Topics
Marshall Dillon is 2 yrs old!
by kaisersmom. 09/23/18 03:36 AM
Stories
by Shilohsmom. 09/21/18 12:03 AM
Looking for an answer, pos. food issue?
by middleofnowhere. 09/20/18 02:52 AM
Happy Birthday Z!
by Zisso. 09/16/18 02:50 PM
The day my dog tried to kill me
by Sylv. 09/14/18 08:20 PM
Harness
by Todd. 09/12/18 08:48 PM
But Bennie wasn't broken!
by PositiveDog. 09/07/18 10:43 PM
Flea & Tick preventative
by Shilohsmom. 09/07/18 04:08 AM
I'm Back
by Chey & The Herd. 09/04/18 08:07 PM
September 2018 Photo Contest Entries
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 09/04/18 01:53 PM
Help Support the Forum
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
East coast friends, please keep us posted
by PositiveDog. 09/13/18 08:27 PM
Kathy (Kayos Mod) could use us
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 09/04/18 01:34 PM
Happy Labor Day weekend
by Shilohsmom. 09/01/18 01:41 AM
Summer Produce/Winter YUM
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 08/30/18 04:46 PM
Punctuation Experts
by Wisc.Tiger_Val. 08/25/18 07:39 PM
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 97 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
achilleas, Ruger0sasha, NurseBishop, Roguehk, Sydney
2921 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums100
Topics20,532
Posts326,964
Members2,921
Most Online209
Jul 31st, 2018