German Shepherd Home

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#233940 - 06/02/12 08:10 PM Bad Knees
DancingCavy Offline

Loc: Syracuse, NY
Don't tell Risa I'm posting about her in the senior section. She says she is only 8 and that does not make her a senior dog. wink

I took Risa to her chiropractor today to get adjusted. It'd been about 2 months since her last adjustment and we're competing next weekend so I wanted to make sure she was in top form.

The last time I took Risa lure coursing, I noticed she was making really wide turns. I was concerned about her knees; the chiro vet had mentioned she has some arthritis in them. I wanted to make sure there was no structural defect for Risa's wide turns so I had the vet evaluate them again. Ris' left knee is worse than the right; I knew that from the last time I asked. But she had me compare Risa's left thigh and her right thigh. The right thigh is significantly more muscular than the left. She's favoring her left leg. frown

I've had her on Cosequin since January. I started her on a CMO (cetyl myristoleate) supplement as well but something in it didn't agree with her so I had to stop it. She's on a homecooked diet now and is getting a vegetarian-fed large egg daily (for omega 3s). I'm also giving some flaxseed daily. I'd tried to find some CMO locally but haven't had luck yet (I have one other place to check). I did give her CMO when she was younger so I know it isn't what bothered her in the tablets I gave her. I was looking at Springtime's Advanced Hip & Joint formula because I like their products (and they have a sale going on). My only real concern is the MSM. Risa has had problems with garlic before and I don't know if it's the sulfur content. This makes me hesitant to use anything with MSM in it. And I'm getting a bit tired of buying stuff for Risa and then having to try and find someone who wants it when she can't use it.

Is there anything I can do to try and help ease her discomfort and help her use her left hind leg more so she's more balanced in the rear? I'd love to take her swimming but I really don't have any place to do so around here. Besides, she's a terrible swimmer wink but she does enjoy fetching toys from the water. We do have an animal therapy center about an hour away but, due to distance, I'm not sure it's feasible to just go once or twice. (They do have water therapy there.)

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions. Risa hasn't exactly slowed down much and I want her to continue to be bouncy and crazy without being sore!

Edited by DancingCavy (06/02/12 08:11 PM)

Top Likes: 0 
#233948 - 06/02/12 09:02 PM Re: Bad Knees [Re: DancingCavy]
Woodreb Online   coffee
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: New Milford, CT
I'd suggest acupuncture since the combo of that and chiro helped Aodhán so much. But I know you've said that Risa won't tolerate it.

Can she tolerate Ester-C. That's supposed to help with joint problems in combination with the other joint supplements.

Caleb (aka Caleb-Moose)
Ciara(aka Ciara Belle, Black Devil)

RIP Aodhán, Rica, Max, Kelly - gone but never forgotten - forever in my heart

#233961 - 06/02/12 09:28 PM Re: Bad Knees [Re: Woodreb]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

Loc: Northern CA
Vitamins C is a good idea, I use sodium ascorbate powder here.

Did the vet find that the lumbar or low back was out? Keeping the back in alignment will help the knees work properly. Indy had similar problems, but shehad a lot of problems in her rabies-shot leg.

Making sure there are no thyroid issues helps the ligaments throughout the body. Standard Process has a supplement called Ligaplex II that is supposed to help with the ligaments of runners, maybe that is something to use. I used it for Indy when she is young, but I betcha Ris willl be allergic to something in it, as Max was frown

I've had good luck with the Jarrow True CMO in terms of tolerance.

Kness are tricky!

Jazmine, mini-mix, 10/18/2011
Max-n-Indy
Max, 5/2001-2/2012, RIP my partner, my Regal Boy
Indy, 5/1997-10/2010, RIP my friend, my teacher

Health Index
K9 TBD info and Tick List Links
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

#233964 - 06/02/12 09:33 PM Re: Bad Knees [Re: MaxaLisa]
BowWowMeow Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Buffalo (land of little snow)
If she can handle the Ester C I'd go with that. I tried sodium ascorbate powder and it didn't work as well for Rafi.

I really like that Get Up and Go for inflammation and also acupuncture and/or laser therapy.

Rafi, the german malaroo, age 6.5ish
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238

Varda & Gio (the crazy cattens)
Warming my heart:
Queen Cleopatra
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie

#233974 - 06/02/12 10:30 PM Re: Bad Knees [Re: BowWowMeow]
DancingCavy Offline

She did get acupuncture for her gut/back once. Other than many of the needles popping out due to tension, wink she tolerated it okay. Once all the needles were in, anyway. I think, if we did it more frequently, she might be more tolerant of it. She does have difficulty staying still while at the vet. We do need to have a recheck with her TCVM vet (I'm pretty sure she's more in balance with the recent diet change) so I could see if she'd be willing to do some acupuncture on Ris' knees when we're there. Aquapuncture at the very least.

Lisa, her back was out of alignment about midway down. She's usually out of whack in her lumbosacral region but this time it was higher. Risa should be on the straight and narrow now for a while anyway. I think her back has been less tweaky since her first two adjustments. She was thyroid tested a while ago and came back within normal ranges.

I may have to try the Ester-C but I'll probably wait until after our competition. I don't want to introduce anything that might screw with her gut before it. What is the recommended dosage for that?

For now, I'll just double up on the Cosequin.

Thanks!

Edited by DancingCavy (06/02/12 10:45 PM)

#233981 - 06/02/12 11:19 PM Re: Bad Knees [Re: DancingCavy]
Woodreb Online   coffee
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: New Milford, CT
I was using 2000 mg for Rica at 70-75 pounds. And you do have to work the level up gradually to be sure they tolerate it.
Ruth may have a recommendation for the best dose for Risa based on her weight.

Caleb (aka Caleb-Moose)
Ciara(aka Ciara Belle, Black Devil)

RIP Aodhán, Rica, Max, Kelly - gone but never forgotten - forever in my heart

#233991 - 06/03/12 12:59 AM Re: Bad Knees [Re: Woodreb]
BowWowMeow Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Buffalo (land of little snow)
Rafi (58 pounds) and Kailor (49 pounds) both get 2200mg/day.

My new vet recommended tumeric for inflammation.

Risa has so many tummy issues that I have a feeling you'll have to try a few things before you find one that works. It would be great if you could get acupuncture and/or laser therapy. Laser therapy would be easier for her to tolerate. Rafi goes to sleep for an hour (!) when he gets acupuncture but Kailor has a harder time with it. We have to hold her so that she doesn't shake all of the needles out.

Varda just got her first acupuncture treatment and she immediately removed all of the needles so my vet gave her aquapuncture and that seemed to have really help her. Varda's kneecaps and hips (they pop in and out) are subluxed, poor girl.

Rafi, the german malaroo, age 6.5ish
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238

Varda & Gio (the crazy cattens)
Warming my heart:
Queen Cleopatra
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie

#234018 - 06/03/12 08:40 AM Re: Bad Knees [Re: BowWowMeow]
DancingCavy Offline

Her tummy issues have been better lately but she's still a sensitive girl. wink I'll be sure to go as slow as possible when introducing the Ester-C both because of her gut history and because it's something that is a known potential gut irritant.

Thanks for the great advice, all.

#236512 - 06/15/12 08:54 PM Re: Bad Knees [Re: DancingCavy]
DancingCavy Offline

I scheduled a recheck with her TCVM vet in a couple weeks to see if she's finally back to balanced in regards to her gut. Also going to see if I can get some acupuncture done on her knees.

I haven't had a chance to get any Ester-C yet. Hoping to get it this weekend. I also learned that cinnamon is a good anti-inflammatory (haven't tried it yet) as is the skin underneath egg shells. What a fun week that was when I discovered that and tried peeling the skin away from the shell so Risa could eat it. . . I sort of gave up trying to get it for now. Too much hassle. And Risa doesn't want to wait that long to eat. smile

She's still not acting lame, which is good. But it is clearly bothering her. Aside from the significant difference in thigh size, her jumps during our freestyle routine were pretty low (her back paws didn't even leave the ground Sunday). And I think she's reluctant to do weaves because her turning ability is compromised due to discomfort.

#238814 - 06/25/12 08:17 PM Re: Bad Knees [Re: DancingCavy]
DancingCavy Offline

I checked Ris' thighs yesterday and it seems her left one is no longer significantly smaller than the right. Yay! Except I have no idea how this happened. I started her on True CMO last Saturday so I know she hadn't been on that long enough to make a difference. And I'm going to have to stop giving her it because it's absolutely sent her gut over the edge. Never bothered her 5 years ago when she took it but now it's a different story. I'm afraid to try any other supplements with her right now. Especially since I've finally gotten her gut to behave.

Perhaps I'll have to just stick with Cosequin, eggs, and acupuncture/chiropractic adjustments. Makes me sad that I bought some Ester-C already. . .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Support the Forum in Diane's Memory
Click Here to Support the Forum in Diane's Memory
Help Support the Forum
Click Here to Help Support the Forum
Newest Topics
Zisso is getting his teeth cleaned.
by Zisso
03:29 PM
Happy Fall from my non-shepherds
by cainsmomma
12:22 PM
Riley - at eVet possible Degenerative Myelopathy
by FurKids
01:12 AM
URGENT ONLY HRS LEFT IN CA
by cainsmomma
10/21/14 06:46 PM
Some of the girls from this year...(pic heavy)
by LandSharkLover
10/21/14 03:13 PM
Update: AKBAR and ISA!
by mjbgsd
10/20/14 09:03 PM
The Black Pony is 3 today!
by bianca
10/19/14 04:59 AM
Jazz turned 3 today :-)
by MaxaLisa
10/19/14 01:20 AM
Is It Safe To Eat?
by rescueme
10/17/14 09:34 PM
Shiloh is at the Vet
by Shilohsmom
10/17/14 12:19 PM
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Shootings on Parliment Hill - Canada
by ozzyandsandi
10/22/14 12:07 PM
Marissa/Konotashi/Oz
zy's mom

by arycrest
10/19/14 03:16 AM
I Had Elbow Surgery on Thursday
by Kayos
10/18/14 12:54 PM
My Niece
by Barb E
10/17/14 09:04 AM
cancer
by mikey
10/16/14 01:23 PM
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 26 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Newest Members
Skywlker3, IlovemyGSDlayla, Mpatista, mountaingsd, David Gossett, alex shy, LandSharkLover, Karim, Namvet4, rescueme
2284 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2284 Members
98 Forums
18860 Topics
302939 Posts

Max Online: 133 @ 07/03/13 09:55 PM
Top Posters
MaxaLisa 18068
Kayos 10759
bianca 8807
Wisc.Tiger_Val 7657