German Shepherd Home

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#226620 - 04/23/12 12:13 AM Diarrhea with puppy
lzver Offline

Like so many others ... I have a male 12 1/2 week old GSD with diarrhea problems.

We got Jake at 8 weeks old and we had issues with loose stools from day 1. After my husband was up every 20 minutes one night we took him to the vet. They did an exam and fecal tests and he had roundworms and tapeworms. They also suspected a slight infection because his lymph nodes were slightly enlarged. So he got deformed, was put on medication (can't remember name, but it started with an m) and instructions to feed him Medi-cal gastrointestinal high energy canned food for 3 days. He did well and had well formed poops.

Fast forward to last Wednesday and I was up with him again all night. We called the vet and they advised us to feed the bland diet again for a few days and if no improvement bring a stool sample back in for testing. He had just been in a week earlier for vaccinations, another fecal test ( which came back clean).

Jake was being fed Solid Gold when he came home to us. We slowly started to transition him to Acana large breed puppy food. He'd have the start of a sold poop, but it finished loose pretty much all the time.

So we are now trying to switch him to Royal Canin GSD puppy food. My husband made the stupid mistake of over feeding him and giving him only the new food so how was up all last night with him again. He didn't poop all day and he just had a loose poop again about an hour ago.

I'm going to stop off at the vet on the way home tomorrow. I'm thinking another fecal test might be in order.

Like so many others Im afraid Jake has the typical sensitive GSD stomach. It is so frustrating. Outside of these issues, he is full of energy and he is such a great pup. I just want to see him pooping well and gaining more weight.

Top Likes: 0 
#226623 - 04/23/12 12:49 AM Re: Diarrhea with puppy [Re: lzver]
middleofnowhere Offline
Veteran

If he was doing well on Solid Gold why not go back to that?

Food really does make a difference.

#226625 - 04/23/12 05:51 AM Re: Diarrhea with puppy [Re: middleofnowhere]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

Loc: Northern CA
Has he ever had a blood panel? The lymph nodes are a bit out of character for regular parasites or a sensitive stomach I think?

Sounds to me like the vaccinations triggered a relapse. Have the lymph nodes been rechecked?

I would, at least to start with, get him on some probiotics if he isn't already. I would also look to find a single protein, single carb food, preferably with no chicken, at least until he gets stable.

Jazmine, mini-mix, 10/18/2011
Max-n-Indy
Max, 5/2001-2/2012, RIP my partner, my Regal Boy
Indy, 5/1997-10/2010, RIP my friend, my teacher

Health Index
K9 TBD info and Tick List Links
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

#226630 - 04/23/12 06:47 AM Re: Diarrhea with puppy [Re: middleofnowhere]
lzver Offline

Originally Posted By: middleofnowhere
If he was doing well on Solid Gold why not go back to that?

Food really does make a difference.

He wasn't necessarily doing well on the Solid Gold food. Plus it was not readily available where we live. The breeder gave us a bag and once we got him he slowly started transitioning him to the Acana Large Breed Puppy.

#226631 - 04/23/12 06:51 AM Re: Diarrhea with puppy [Re: MaxaLisa]
lzver Offline

Originally Posted By: MaxaLisa
Has he ever had a blood panel? The lymph nodes are a bit out of character for regular parasites or a sensitive stomach I think?

Sounds to me like the vaccinations triggered a relapse. Have the lymph nodes been rechecked?

I would, at least to start with, get him on some probiotics if he isn't already. I would also look to find a single protein, single carb food, preferably with no chicken, at least until he gets stable.

No, he hasn't had a blood panel done. And yes, he had the lymph nodes rechecked. He had that problem at 8 1/2 weeks and he was back in to see the vet at 11 1/2 weeks and they were fine then.

I'm at work today, but will be taking fecal samples back in to the vet today and would like to talk to our vet about next steps. I'll discuss the probiotics and the blood panel with her. I also want to talk to her about the Medi-Cal Gastrointestinal canned food. Its the only food he's had firm poops with. They do make a dry version of this food as well and I wonder if it might be a good idea to try him on that for a while.

Is anyone able to provide suggestions for a single protein, single carb food that doesn't have chicken?

#226635 - 04/23/12 07:07 AM Re: Diarrhea with puppy [Re: lzver]
JeanKBBMMMAAN Offline
Rescues Rule Admin

I use California Natural Herring on new puppies. http://www.californianaturalpet.com/products/1201

It's a little low in protein (21%) but 1.0 calcium and higher in calories (419) so that they get less, meaning they won't be getting extra calcium because you have to feed more.

It's pretty plain, mostly fish and sweet potato, smells bad and is greasy - they love it. They also seem to do well on it.

We do a lot of de-worming with puppies. Not a lot (that sounds bad!) unnecessarily, but my vet has a system based on which worms appear at what ages, and goes with that, along with kind of frequent fecals to check for coccidia and giardia on top of that. For each worm, there is a suggested follow up re-de-worming time frame. They are also really good at prescribing the right dewormer for the job (and I double check them on the Mar Vista vet website wink ). Granted, the puppies I get are usually obviously full of worms, but it works!

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/the_pet_web_library.html website

Good luck!

Edited by JeanKBBMMMAAN (04/23/12 07:09 AM)

Check Out the BDBH Howliday Blog

#226657 - 04/23/12 09:15 AM Re: Diarrhea with puppy [Re: JeanKBBMMMAAN]
lzver Offline

I am taking a stool sample in for testing this afternoon. Going to ask for a Giardia test. They will run the in house fecal tests today and the vet will give us a call to advise how to proceed.

The receptionist did recommend keeping him on the Medi-cal Gastrointestinal food for the time being until we can determine what is going on. We have a few days supply left, but I will discuss with the vet on the phone later today.

I'm very impressed with this vet office so far. They are willing to work with you and they aren't into nickle and diming. They work on figuring out what is wrong first and clearly care first and foremost for the well being of the animal. After the fecal tests, if a visit with the vet is necessary, we will do it. I'm not in the position at this point, but they offer payment plans if necessary.

#226667 - 04/23/12 10:51 AM Re: Diarrhea with puppy [Re: lzver]
Kayos Offline

Can't Figure Tech Stuff Out

Loc: McAlester, OK
You can also try Tastes of the Wild puppy formula, which is fish and patato based and is pretty availanble in most places.

I live in a small town and I can get it here. I plan on feeding this when I get the next puppy sometime this year.

The calcium/phosphorous is not listed in the ingredients but I emailed them adn they sent me the info. Unfortunately I don't have it at work. The ratio is adequate for a puppy.

UCD, URO3 Aleshanee Windridge CD,TDX,BN,RE,CGC,TC, HIC "Kayos" 1/20/03
UCD, URO3, UNC1, UAG1 Xtra!Xtra! v. TeMar CDX,GN,RE,CGC,TC,HIC, Bh "Havoc" 6/4/07
URO1,UAG1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" BN,RN,NA,HT,CGC 4/4/12

Lucky, Wolf, Max - gone not forgotten. gsdhalo

#226668 - 04/23/12 10:56 AM Re: Diarrhea with puppy [Re: Kayos]
JeanKBBMMMAAN Offline
Rescues Rule Admin

The only thing with it is that at 360 calories, you will feed more of it, upping the amount of calcium that they eventually do get. I do not know the amount of difference between 419 calories and 1.0 calcium and 360 and the percent that they have in that formula - like what is enough to say oh, that's enough to make it a thing for a pup that you want slow growth from.

Check Out the BDBH Howliday Blog

#226686 - 04/23/12 12:17 PM Re: Diarrhea with puppy [Re: JeanKBBMMMAAN]
middleofnowhere Offline
Veteran

OK here's another thought from left field... I was delighted to have higher quality feed available locally for the youngster. I switched her over to a high quality food and got pudding poop. Maybe a more mid-grade food will give "better" results in the other end?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Support the Forum in Diane's Memory
Click Here to Support the Forum in Diane's Memory
Help Support the Forum
Click Here to Help Support the Forum
Newest Topics
Gazing Zen Doggy
by Robin_Myrika
04:04 PM
Shock collar wiring issues....
by MaxaLisa
07/23/14 04:44 PM
NILF Abusive??
by frillint
07/22/14 07:53 PM
Puppy Training in Austin/Central Texas
by Shashie
07/22/14 04:50 PM
Frederick, MD via facebook...2yo F GSD/Annie
by Marleysmom
07/22/14 03:21 PM
Salmonella from dog food.....
by MaxaLisa
07/22/14 02:57 PM
Cain would have been 14 yrs.old today
by cainsmomma
07/22/14 11:43 AM
input on safety of herbal calming collars?
by FurKids
07/21/14 01:14 PM
Novice Agility Title for Mayhem
by Kayos
07/21/14 09:39 AM
First Time GSD Mommy - Rescued!!
by RoxiesMommy
07/20/14 04:26 PM
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Should I?
by Kayos
07/23/14 08:46 PM
Coupons
by Shilohsmom
07/21/14 05:13 PM
Hay storage
by middleofnowhere
07/16/14 11:38 PM
Fall Fair
by ozzyandsandi
07/16/14 12:33 AM
Anyone play with clay?
by Robin_Myrika
07/15/14 01:42 PM
Who's Online
1 registered (Shilohsmom), 26 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Newest Members
2DogHill, JM (Kisa), Drifter, Dr Borman, babydalls, dallsmom, BiSON, RoxiesMommy, Tulip, mrq201
2223 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2223 Members
98 Forums
18614 Topics
298884 Posts

Max Online: 133 @ 07/03/13 09:55 PM
Top Posters
MaxaLisa 17590
Kayos 10637
bianca 8756
Wisc.Tiger_Val 7559