German Shepherd Home

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#205710 - 01/15/12 07:18 AM how long can a dog go w/o peeing? (post surgery)
FurKids Offline
Veteran

Loc: SE Wisconsin
Hi there,

Riley had his FHO surgery on his other hip on Wednesday (meaning both hips have now been FHO'd #1 was about 4mos ago) and brought him home on Thursday. He really surprised me in that he will eat, not a whole lot but he's eating which is the opposite of the first time around. smile He will also drink water, again opposite of last time around. smile

What he won't do is go outside to pee. First day he went about 24 hours and believe me it's not for lack of opportunities. Then with no warning we'd opened the door to let Nissa out and before we could offer him the opportunity again, he was up and headed for the door, actually bearing some weight on the newly FHO'd leg. Can we say "Pee me a river?" OMG I thought he was never gonna stop! I was very encouraged by his "I will do this!" attitude.

Ok, so that would have been Friday probably lunch time-ish and his "will do" attitude morphed into "won't do" after that one trip outside.

He has not even tried to go out again, not for lack of opportunities. He flat out refuses to get up. We did sling him up and force him to go out and he pretty much collapsed outside after a few steps and wouldn't budge. We did find a few dribbles where he'd gone down and a few dribbles in another spot just before he went down. Thanks goodness for snow or we would not have known this. The dribbles amounted to well, dribbles, nothing more than that so the amount he dribbled is very small.

We've got him up a few times, slinging both front and back to support him, and forced him to walk into the living room and back. It's slow and we let him rest every few steps and he starts to go down but we hold him up w/the sling but he *has* to walk in order to recover. Please note that when I say force we are not beating on him or anything of the kind. We are just stern "you have to do this and you will" kind of thing and we encourage and blah blah blah positive stuff.

So, right now I'd say it's about 36 hours since he dribbled in the yard. He seems ok other than the pain from his surgery and he will still eat & drink some. He's not poo'd at all which doesn't surprise me. It took awhile for that last time. He's on Meloxicam, Tramadol and his anti-b.

I understand that a dog will do what he needs to do, but thinking as a human, if we don't pee we can get urinary tract etc infections. Do dogs get these from this kind of situation? I plan to call the vet bright and early Mon morn but I'm wondering if it's ok to wait or is this something one would consider and emergency and not wait that long?

Tonight thank goodness he wasn't alone because he'd tried to turn over to his other side which he does by sitting up and then repositioning himself and laying back down but this time he got his new bum leg caught underneath him all bent and his knee was sticking up like a very rigid "point." He started to scream and cry which is when I noticed that he was trying to find a new comfort-zone. He's only about 10 ft from me and I can see him from my computer chair just by looking to the left an inch or so. I wasn't watching him at that moment so didn't see him do this, just saw the results when he started screaming and crying. I raced into the kitchen where he is on his pillow and saw his contortioned body and gently pulled the leg out from underneath him and calmed him down.

This is gonna be a tough haul on me. I'm here all alone all week and he's 73lbs (he lost more weight) of dead weight right now. After the twisted leg incident I'm afraid to leave him alone but I'm supposed to go back to work beginning tonight. I'm wondering if I shouldn't immobilize him somehow so he can't try to turn over again when no one is here. But how would I do that? To think that he could do that and then be stuck like that screaming for hours is a real scary thought.

Top Likes: 0 
#205713 - 01/15/12 08:40 AM Re: how long can a dog go w/o peeing? (post surgery) [Re: FurKids]
middleofnowhere Offline
Pooh-Bah

When my dog is on a pain patch or other pain meds pretty heavily, the vet had me buy tuna in oil to feed along with the kibble to avoid constipation. So I would get some tuna in oil for this guy so that you can get/keep his bowels moving.

What I'd consider for right now: I would call in sick to work for at least one shift or as many as it took to be sure he was not going to get stuck in pain. When it did look like I was going to be going back for a full shift, I would arrange to come home at lunch/break if I could or arrange for someone to pop in on him. Or maybe a webcam set up? Maybe hire a pet sitter for these nights - one that comes in and stays with him. Or take him to an emergency vet for monitoring if this other stuff isn't going to work.

Regarding the urination - CALL YOUR VET. This doesn't sound right. They may need to insert a catheter. (Oh lucky you & lucky Riley!)

#205721 - 01/15/12 10:05 AM Re: how long can a dog go w/o peeing? (post surgery) [Re: middleofnowhere]
PositiveDog Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ohio
I am so sorry he is having such a difficult time.

As far as the urination - please take him to the vet today as soon as possible. If his vet is not available, take him to an e-vet.

Not only is there a chance of infection or kidney problems, he is probably in pain from his bladder as well as the surgery.

I hope this turns around quickly and things look up.

www.dogtors.com

With approval of my friends:
Skye, CGC, Certified AAT
Buddy, CGC, Certified AAT
SamCat

Seiko, Solo and Sophie bridge dogs who taught me so much

#205724 - 01/15/12 10:21 AM Re: how long can a dog go w/o peeing? (post surgery) [Re: PositiveDog]
FurKids Offline
Veteran

I put in a call to my vet - an hour ago!!!!! GRRRRRRR!!!!! I'm going to try that one more time and if no response I'll have to call the surgeon I guess but he's 50mi away one direction. GRRRRRRRR!!!

Yes, I was thinking the same thing about infection and whatever else was mentioned. He's on anti-b for the surgery so I'm hoping that may also work on any possible infection at least a little bit or something until I can get him seen. I don't care if he pees a river in my kitchen, I just want him to go!

Believe me, catheter crossed my mind, too.

I'm not to worried about the bowels cuz he did the same thing last time, took a few days before he went.

Thank you!

#205725 - 01/15/12 10:24 AM Re: how long can a dog go w/o peeing? (post surgery) [Re: FurKids]
arycrest Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central Florida
Gosh Deb I hope he's okay. Not urinating would concern me too! Hope you hear from you vet so you can avoid the long drive!!!

#205737 - 01/15/12 11:24 AM Re: how long can a dog go w/o peeing? (post surgery) [Re: arycrest]
BowWowMeow Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Buffalo (land of little snow)
Can you call the e-vet? That is definitely a problem!

Rafi, the german malaroo, age 8.5ish
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238

Varda & Gio (the crazy cattens)
Warming my heart:
Queen Cleopatra
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie

#205739 - 01/15/12 11:33 AM Re: how long can a dog go w/o peeing? (post surgery) [Re: BowWowMeow]
middleofnowhere Offline
Pooh-Bah

You may not be worried about the bowels but that's possibly affecting his ability to urinate comfortably. Pick up some tuna in oil. It's a cheap try.

Good luck with reaching the vet or the surgeon. Better to make a long drive with a dog now than when he is sicker -- And if you have him on a seat, as a precaution, (which you may be hoping you need), put plastic under a large towel, carry paper towels and plenty of Nature's Miracle...

Go go go!
(Well now maybe that's a pun!! Hadn't intended it when I typed it.)

#205749 - 01/15/12 01:03 PM Re: how long can a dog go w/o peeing? (post surgery) [Re: middleofnowhere]
FurKids Offline
Veteran

Update: Called to local vets, but they all just had recorded msgs giving me eVet #'s to call which I was going to do anyway if no luck. Our local vets used to have a pager service and always called back in minutes which is why I tried that first. He'd be at the vet much quicker that way.

During all of this he'd started panting faster and shaking so this was going from bad to worse. Hubby carried him outside while I was getting things ready for the trip to the eVet. He actually seemed a little better outside.

He crumpled of course, and we saw a few dribbles so we got him up again and walked him a few steps w/me saying "go potty" he crumpled again, few more dribbles. I started to think maybe he *can't* pee. One more time a few steps this time headed towards the house to go to the vet. He crumpled and the dam broke smile and he was peeing another river smile while laying in the snow. I kept telling him "good boy" and all of that so he knew it was ok to not be standing up to pee, LOL.

I swear I saw a sigh of relief on his face, as he's peeing his breathing is slowing down to normal and the shaking stopped. We let him lay in the snow a few min to rest since it's not really that cold and no wind. He seemed content just laying there.

Brought him back in the house and he crumpled onto his pillow and was soooooo happy to be there, LOL! He's been calm on his pillow ever since and appears to be as comfortable as one can be after surgery.

Picked up some tuna, but he won't eat it at least not right now.

Granddaughter is going to come stay here and help me w/him cuz getting him in/out of the house is a trick & a half to say the least. She's gonna stay the night with a phone next to her head and she'll be able to see him from the couch where she'll sleep. My work is less than a 1/2mi away

Thank you all for your help.

#205750 - 01/15/12 01:29 PM Re: how long can a dog go w/o peeing? (post surgery) [Re: FurKids]
arycrest Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central Florida
I wonder if he's having some type of pain/discomfort associated with peeing?

#205751 - 01/15/12 01:50 PM Re: how long can a dog go w/o peeing? (post surgery) [Re: arycrest]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

Loc: Northern CA
The poor boy. He was probably thinking he wasn't going to have to deal with this again. Soon he will be recovered and thankful for the relief of pain from this other sidea, but it must be tough for him to understand. I just wonder if he's just a bit depressed.

Are you giving the arnica and hypericum this time too?

I might think UTI, but it really doesn't sound like it.

Thinking super positive thoughts for you guys hugging

Jazmine, mini-mix, 10/18/2011
Max-n-Indy
Max, 5/2001-2/2012, RIP my partner, my Regal Boy
Indy, 5/1997-10/2010, RIP my friend, my teacher

Health Index
K9 TBD info and Tick List Links
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Support the Forum in Diane's Memory
Click Here to Support the Forum in Diane's Memory
Help Support the Forum
Click Here to Help Support the Forum
Newest Topics
a few quotes...
by MaxaLisa
Yesterday at 10:07 PM
Pure bred??
by AmberT
Yesterday at 09:10 AM
G litter zu Treuen Händen
by lhczth
12/18/14 11:21 AM
Dr. Foster and Smith's...
by MaxaLisa
12/18/14 03:58 AM
Input on Breeding Pairs Please (and thanks)
by BasiaBear
12/17/14 05:21 PM
Dog Rescue Raid
by SeanRescueMom
12/17/14 08:32 AM
Happy 13th Birthday D'Artagnan!!
by Charlotte
12/15/14 09:40 AM
It's been a while that I posted about Athos
by Indra
12/14/14 11:48 PM
Some Fog photos.
by frillint
12/14/14 06:05 PM
Runt of the litter
by CinderSpritz
12/13/14 06:14 PM
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Wishing a Happy Hanukkah
by Braverhund
12/16/14 09:31 AM
Happy Holidays!
by Tara
12/13/14 03:17 PM
I've been busy bumping
by Shilohsmom
12/13/14 11:27 AM
Is winter over yet? West Coast Storm
by
12/10/14 08:35 AM
Eeks! (possible) Mouse in the House!
by FurKids
12/08/14 12:14 PM
Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Newest Members
AmberT, rubyshalawi, Alli F, animalsrule, Venky, CinderSpritz, chris5110, RGerwig, Ginger, Heide
2329 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2329 Members
98 Forums
19016 Topics
305730 Posts

Max Online: 133 @ 07/03/13 09:55 PM
Top Posters
MaxaLisa 18324
Kayos 10859
bianca 8835
Wisc.Tiger_Val 7712