German Shepherd Home

Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 ... 30 31 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#133681 - 02/14/11 09:59 PM Mason Skin Issues- Thoughts?
GSDTrain Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: NY
Some of you may remember late last fall me posting about Mason having excessive itching and dry skin. After seeing some post by members, I thought maybe it was due to the change in humidity in the air.

Early December is when I started noticing that Mason was itching more and more and come the 17th (ish) I noted his first hair loss spot on his rear left leg around his "knee-ish" area. As the month went on, I noticed that spot getting a little redder and him continuing to itch, he was not itching just that spot he was itching all over his body. Then I called the vet an made an appt. for him on December 27. The vet did a complete examination and also did a skin scrap which came back negative. He was then placed on Temaril-P for 3 weeks because his itching was getting so bad. During that time, hair growth on the outside of his leg was noted but the inside of his leg still remained hairless, but was no longer red or getting worse. During the time on the Temaril-P his itching was none exsistent. The vet then suggested we change his food to grain-free, so he is now eating Orijen Adult Grain Free, which he loves.

After coming off of the Temiral-P, his itching returned within days. He has been on the grain free food since the 1st of the year, which is 10 weeks and the vet said that if it was a food allergy a change of some sort should be noted by 12 weeks at the lastest and so far, he is still itching excessively. Last Monday, February 7th, I took him back to the vet for a check up. While at the vet we had an allergy test done to rule out enviromental allergies, as I guess food allergy testing can't be done with accuracy. The results can take up to 2-3 weeks to come in and its been a week today. Since then, I have noticed some hair loss on the right rear leg, which is symmetrical to the hair loss on the left side. I have also noticed some slight hair thinning near his elbows (symmetrical on both sides) as well as some thinning above his eyes (again symmetrical on both sides).

I am kind of stumped on what this could be. Like I stated above, it started in early December. Does this sound like it could be allergies or do you think it could be something else? If so, what?

Mason is kept on Revolution year round for hw/flea preventitive, which also is used to treat mange/mites, but like I stated above his skin scrap came back negative.

It's just been a long and stressful 2 months for us, as I hate to hear and see him itching all the time and I don't want my dog to go insane and rip out all his own fur!! The vet gave me the option of putting him back on the Temiral-P for the time being until the allergy results come in, but I decided not to as I didn't think it would be healthy for him to be put back on it so soon and plus he is still growing and I read it can stunt growth in large breed dogs. Am I wrong?

When I first got Mason, he did have 1 bald spot on the top of his head but he was not itchy. I took him to the vet for that to but the vet said it was probably due to poor nitrition and it did clear up eventually. I don't know if this has any relation to what he has going on now.

Thoughts on any of this, are greatly appreciated. If can think of any additional things I should have the vet test for or what I should ask about/bring up...I am open to suggestings. My next step would probably be thyroid testing.

Having no answers is frustrating, but I know I have to be patient.

Here are some pictures I took this evening. In some of the pictures this fur/skin looks greasy and that is because I have been putting cream on it to help reduce the redness.

First the right side, the side that is just starting to thin out and lose hair:

Now the right side:

Sorry this is so long. If you have questions, feel free to ask!

Thanks

Edited by MaxaLisa (02/15/11 02:46 AM)
Edit Reason: inserted paragraph breaks

Ivy's VV Marie NTD CGC

Mason Von Holley BH ETD ATD ITD NTD CL1R NJN TT TDI HIT CGC (HOT) OFA (H/E/C/L) CERF

UKC CH SG Falcon PacHaus BH CGCA

Top Likes: 0 
#133683 - 02/14/11 10:07 PM Re: Mason Skin Issues- Thoughts? [Re: GSDTrain]
GSDTrain Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Forgot to add: other than this he is completely healthy and acts normal.

Ivy's VV Marie NTD CGC

Mason Von Holley BH ETD ATD ITD NTD CL1R NJN TT TDI HIT CGC (HOT) OFA (H/E/C/L) CERF

#133688 - 02/14/11 10:10 PM Re: Mason Skin Issues- Thoughts? [Re: GSDTrain]
Recon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego
I don't have an answer for you but sounds very similar to Recon's issues with his skin as well. I promise if I find something to cure my pup I will share the info with you! I know how frustrating it can be.

We just did a full blood panel to see about his immune system frown

Recon von Haus Juris, CGC GSD- DOB 5/31/2009

#133717 - 02/15/11 02:03 AM Re: Mason Skin Issues- Thoughts? [Re: Recon]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

Loc: Northern CA
Ashley, is there any heat around those knee areas?

Jazmine, mini-mix, 10/18/2011
Max-n-Indy
Max, 5/2001-2/2012, RIP my partner, my Regal Boy
Indy, 5/1997-10/2010, RIP my friend, my teacher

Health Index
K9 TBD info and Tick List Links
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

#133720 - 02/15/11 02:45 AM Re: Mason Skin Issues- Thoughts? [Re: MaxaLisa]
BowWowMeow Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Buffalo (land of little snow)
Sorry about poor Mason! It does sound like environmental allergies to me but it looks like it's turning into a yeast infection.

What supplements do you have Mason on? Are you able to do preprepared raw to see if that might help?

Kailor has terrible skin problems and we have been seeing a holistic vet and she is doing a lot better. The vet had her on a low does of T.-P for years!

Rafi, the german malaroo, age 6.5ish
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238

Varda & Gio (the crazy cattens)
Warming my heart:
Queen Cleopatra
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie

#133748 - 02/15/11 09:46 AM Re: Mason Skin Issues- Thoughts? [Re: BowWowMeow]
Kayos Offline

Can't Figure Tech Stuff Out

Loc: McAlester, OK
Did your vet do the blood test or skin test for allergies? Although there is a lot of sucess with the blood test the skin test is considered the gold standard and the more definitive test. I believe you can blood test for food allergieds but again it is not very accurate. The food elimination trial is really the best method to figure out food and it is only as accurate as you are observant.

I think if I would wait on the results of the tests done already and then ask for a referral to a derm vet and take ther esults with you. They will do a very thorough history on Mason so you will need a lot of details on what has been going on with him.

Having been through this with Havoc it sounds like allergies of some kind. Even with allergy shots Havoc still occassionally gets very itchy.

UCD, URO3 Aleshanee Windridge CD,TDX,BN,RE,CGC,TC, HIC "Kayos" 1/20/03
UCD, URO3, UNC1, UAG1 Xtra!Xtra! v. TeMar CDX,GN,RE,CGC,TC,HIC, Bh "Havoc" 6/4/07
URO1,UAG1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" BN,RN,NA,NAJ,HT,TC,CGC 4/4/12

Lucky, Wolf, Max - gone not forgotten. gsdhalo

#133756 - 02/15/11 10:54 AM Re: Mason Skin Issues- Thoughts? [Re: Kayos]
Schnickle Fritz Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Fairfield, Ca.
have you changed your laundry soap? had your carpets cleaned? put in new bark or different shavings outside? any new grass growing in your yard? it is so hard to think of things that may cause this...

Fritz vom Banach TR1 TT RN RA BN NW1 BH 10/10/09
Cuvee' d' la Maze ORT-BCA BH 01/14/11

#133760 - 02/15/11 11:05 AM Re: Mason Skin Issues- Thoughts? [Re: Schnickle Fritz]
Caja's Mom Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
I would add some sort of oil to his diet. We have had good luck with coconut oil. It is pretty easy to find in the health food stores. We like the pills the best.

SG Emir (Errow) van Klipgaarden BH, SchH 3, AWD 1, AD, KKL 1, ONYX, CGC

SG Ziberia (Panther) v alten Wingertshaus, BH, AD, CGC

ATB: Caja v. d. bosen hohle BH, SchH 1, TR2, OB2, WH, FDCH-S, CGC, TDI.

#133777 - 02/15/11 12:17 PM Re: Mason Skin Issues- Thoughts? [Re: Caja's Mom]
GSDTrain Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks for the thoughts everyone.
Ruth, Mason gets 1000 mg of fish oil in the AM and PM, 400iu of Vit. E in the AM and a scoop of Nupro in the AM and PM.
Its funnny you bring up the preprapared raw meals as I bought some a few weeks ago, just haven't given any to him yet..just a few pieces here and there as a treat.
As far as the yeast infection factor, he was put on Clavamox a few weeks ago just to be sure, for 7 days and nothing changed.

Nothing new has changed...no new soap or anything, no new grasses as it is all snow outside.

Kathy, his knees are warm when I touch them once in a while, if thats what you mean.

I will check back here this evening after I get home from work.

Ivy's VV Marie NTD CGC

#133781 - 02/15/11 12:32 PM Re: Mason Skin Issues- Thoughts? [Re: GSDTrain]
MaxaLisa Offline

Global Moderator

Loc: Northern CA
Clavamox won't help with yeast.

It's an awfully odd place to start with the discoloration and loss.

Makes me think a few things.

The heat, I worry about infection, along the lines of say Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. He may or may not run a fever (what did the vet say his temp was?), but that's why I was wonder about the heat issue. Clavamox won't touch most of the tick diseases, or other types of joint infections. 7 days wouldn't have been long enough to affect lyme.

Bilateral, hind end, would think thyroid.

If those pics resulted from self-mutilation, then there might be pain, might come from the low back. A fixation in the lumbar area could cause this.

Itchiness can come from strange places - turned out Max was allergic to the cotton sheets that I used to cover his bedding.

You might try some scullcap and St John's Wort to handle the itching, might help better than drugs, but none of that will get at the itchy.

I don't like chemicals, but I had luck once using Advantix with Max once - it repels and I think he was being eaten alive by mosquitos. The last go around it did nothing, which led me to the allergy tests.

You could always try awhile of homecooked restricted and see if that makes a difference.

Edited by MaxaLisa (02/15/11 12:39 PM)

Jazmine, mini-mix, 10/18/2011
Max-n-Indy
Max, 5/2001-2/2012, RIP my partner, my Regal Boy
Indy, 5/1997-10/2010, RIP my friend, my teacher

Health Index
K9 TBD info and Tick List Links
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 ... 30 31 >

Support the Forum in Diane's Memory
Click Here to Support the Forum in Diane's Memory
Help Support the Forum
Click Here to Help Support the Forum
Newest Topics
Zisso is getting his teeth cleaned.
by Zisso
03:29 PM
Happy Fall from my non-shepherds
by cainsmomma
12:22 PM
Riley - at eVet possible Degenerative Myelopathy
by FurKids
01:12 AM
URGENT ONLY HRS LEFT IN CA
by cainsmomma
10/21/14 06:46 PM
Some of the girls from this year...(pic heavy)
by LandSharkLover
10/21/14 03:13 PM
Update: AKBAR and ISA!
by mjbgsd
10/20/14 09:03 PM
The Black Pony is 3 today!
by bianca
10/19/14 04:59 AM
Jazz turned 3 today :-)
by MaxaLisa
10/19/14 01:20 AM
Is It Safe To Eat?
by rescueme
10/17/14 09:34 PM
Shiloh is at the Vet
by Shilohsmom
10/17/14 12:19 PM
New Topics - Other Animals & Chat
Shootings on Parliment Hill - Canada
by ozzyandsandi
10/22/14 12:07 PM
Marissa/Konotashi/Oz
zy's mom

by arycrest
10/19/14 03:16 AM
I Had Elbow Surgery on Thursday
by Kayos
10/18/14 12:54 PM
My Niece
by Barb E
10/17/14 09:04 AM
cancer
by mikey
10/16/14 01:23 PM
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 22 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Newest Members
Skywlker3, IlovemyGSDlayla, Mpatista, mountaingsd, David Gossett, alex shy, LandSharkLover, Karim, Namvet4, rescueme
2284 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2284 Members
98 Forums
18860 Topics
302941 Posts

Max Online: 133 @ 07/03/13 09:55 PM
Top Posters
MaxaLisa 18068
Kayos 10759
bianca 8807
Wisc.Tiger_Val 7657